Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Here is how to use the Registry

' Save text1's value
    SaveSetting App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", text1.Text

' Get text1's value
    text1.text = GetSetting (App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", "")

SaveSetting stores the data in the Registry (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|YourAppName). The four parts of the function are the name under which it is stored (App.EXEName in this case), "textboxes" in this example is like the section name in an ini file, "text1" is like the key in a line of data in the ini file, and text1.text is the value.

GetSetting returns the value. The 4th parameter ("" in this case) is optional and it is the default if no registry entry is found.

You can also go deeper than one level if you feel you need to for organizational purposes. Just use a backslash ("\") to separate the key names...
    VB Code:
    1. Call SaveSetting(App.EXEName, "Textboxes\frmMain", "Text1", frmMain.Text1.Text)

will create a key under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\YourAppName\Textboxes\frmMain

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

Got the gist of both now and thanks very much for your time.

bye
    Romano

Link

how would you do that with a list?

It depends on the size of the list. If it's a reasonably small list you could combine the data in a string separated by some unusual character and store it in one registry entry. Otherwise you should use a database or textfile to store the data.

Have you ever tried saving to a registry in a Windows CE device.... i'm actually usine Embedded CE 3.0 which is very similar to vb6, but there are some differences.....i tried your code but it didn't recognize savesettings must be something similar with a ce device

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    Here is how to use the Registry

' Save text1's value
    SaveSetting App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", text1.Text

' Get text1's value
    text1.text = GetSetting App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", "")

SaveSetting stores the data in the Registry (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|YourAppName). The four parts of the function are the name under which it is stored (App.EXEName in this case), "textboxes" in this example is like the section name in an ini file, "text1" is like the key in a line of data in the ini file, and text1.text is the value.

GetSetting returns the value. The 4th parameter ("" in this case) is optional and it is the default if no registry entry is found.

<B>Where is you text1.text file located????</B>

can you store the data in registry only in (HKEY_CURRENT_USER|YourAppName)???? how?

very, very useful information.

If this post helps, please RATE MY POST!

Using Visual Studio 2005 SE

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Hy, I'm new here but I understand in VB very good,
    can You tell me how to save text from MSFlexGrid!
    It's not bad to learn something new

How to save for checkboxes?

Very similarly

VB Code:
    1. SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes or anything you want", "MyCheckbox", text1.Text
    3. ' Here I have the default for the checkbox set to be unchecked. You may
    4. ' want to change that to vbChecked or even vbGrayed
    5. Check1.Value = GetSetting (App.EXEName, "checkboxes or anything you want", "MyCheckbox", vbUnchecked)

Unhappy Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

I am trying to get the value of a checkbox that i have compiled in an exe.

This Function is in an activex component. It calls the form and checks the value that should be by default turned on in my exe. However, i seem to be having some trouble getting the value. Reading this post i thought the code below will give me the value of either 1 or 0 but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Public Function GetValue()

Dim AValue

AValue = GetSetting("TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", "")

GetValue = AValue

End Function

' I dont seem to be getting anything here
    'Using this code AValue = GetSetting("TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", vbUnchecked) I get a 0 all the time????

'==========Here is the code that saves the value in my exe to the registry 'of the checkbox.This code works in loading the value from the registry and saving to it. But i dont seem to be able to get the value from my active x component when i call it(^Above)

Private Sub Form_Load()

chkA.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", "")

End Sub

Private Sub cbOK_Click()

SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", chkA.Value

End Sub
    Last edited by draven2kg; Sep 2nd, 2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

I'm not sure I understand, but let me point out that
    VB Code:
    1. AValue = GetSetting("TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", "vbUnchecked")

will look in the Registry for HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|TestSSvr|checkboxes\frmdvan|frmdvan and if it doesn't find that entry it will return the string vbUnchecked because you have that value in quotes. If you aren't aware vbUnchecked is a built-in VB constant with a value of 0, so if you want to use it with your checkbox you should remove the quotes.

Similarly in your second example where you have
    VB Code:
    1. chkA.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", "")
    I think that probably what you want is
    VB Code:
    1. chkA.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", vbUnchecked)

If that doesn't fix your problem you should use regedit and look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings and see if it has a sub-folder named TestSSvr (and/or whatever your exe name is) and see what values are stored in that/those subfolders.

It was a typo. But what i want is..

Public Function GetValue()

Dim AValue

AValue = GetSetting("TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", "")

GetValue = AValue

End Function

To give me the current value of the checkbox. ...vbUnchecked just gives me 0 all the time.
    Last edited by draven2kg; Sep 2nd, 2005 at 05:13 PM.

Put this in a form and you'll see that it works.
    VB Code:
    1. Option Explicit
    3. Private Sub Form_Load()
    5.     chkA.Value = GetSetting("TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", vbUnchecked)
    7. End Sub
    10. Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    12.     SaveSetting "TestSSvr", "checkboxes\frmdvan", "chkA", chkA.Value
    14. End Sub

I have this code in my ASP page..it makes a call to my active x component which in turn checks the registry to find the value of the key.

Dim CallChkAudit
    Dim AuditOnOff

Set CallChkAudit = Server.CreateObject("SummitSvr.WebSvr")

AuditOnOff = CallChkAudit.GetAuditValue

This is the code in my active x component...and it reads the registyr to find the value of the checkbox. Which should on default be turned on...

This is where i keep getting a 0.....and if i use

AValue = GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked) i get blank

Public Function GetAuditValue()

Dim AValue

AValue = GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

GetAuditValue = AValue

End Function

this 2 sections of code are in my exe form which saves the value of the checkbox and the other which loads the current value for the check box

Private Sub cbOK_Click()

'Use to get value from registry
    'Dim value As String
    'value = GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", "Default")

'Saves checkbox value of form to registry
    SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", chkAudit.Value

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()

chkAudit.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

End Sub
    Last edited by draven2kg; Sep 2nd, 2005 at 05:38 PM.

The following code is in a class module in a dll :

I have a dll that makes a call to get a checkboxes value from my registry.
    However i keep getting a 0 which i think is the default value or a vbUnchecked value. What am i doing wrong?

visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Public Function GetAuditValue() As Variant

Dim AValue As Variant

AValue = GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

Dim fso2, txtfile2

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set txtfile = fso.OpenTextFile("C:\test\testfile2.txt", 8, True)

txtfile.WriteLine AValue
    txtfile.Close

GetAuditValue = AValue

End Function--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This prints a 0 to my text file even though the key in my registry is a 1

The codes below are in an exe on a form that has a check box that i have to save and get the settings from registry.

visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub cbOK_Click()

SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", chkAudit.Value

End Sub--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use this code to get the checkboxes registry value when form loads from registry....
    visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub Form_Load()

chkAudit.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

End Sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a slight change.

"This prints a 0 to my text file even though the key in my registry is a 1"

That doesn't seem possible. Put a breakpoint on the Set fso line and see what is in AValue.

When i take this code and put it in a form with a command botton it works good. Could it be something that is happening b/w the dlls ?

Public Function GetAuditValue() As Variant

Dim AValue As Variant

Dim fso2, txtfile2

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set txtfile = fso.OpenTextFile("C:\test\testfile2.txt", 8, True)

txtfile.WriteLine AValue
    txtfile.Close

GetAuditValue = AValue

End Function

Git any suggestions how else i can save a checkboxes value?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by draven2kg
    Git any suggestions how else i can save a checkboxes value?

It's a bit.. old fashioned, but it's how all my programs work. Hope it can be some help, if not, well, I tried (I'm a bit of a noob at VB though)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Addicted Member

so how could u dele them? can u show me like a path to which i can find them

Quote Originally Posted by Ebiru
    so how could u dele them? can u show me like a path to which i can find them
    Post #1 says where they are. You can either manully delete them or use DeleteSetting

DeleteSetting AppName, [Section], [Key]

Addicted Member

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registr

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    Post #1 says where they are. You can either manully delete them or use DeleteSetting

DeleteSetting AppName, [Section], [Key]
    i see cant find it....whats the actual path....HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|YourAppName that doesnt help me.

Addicted Member

Code:
    SaveSetting App.EXEName, name, "badguy", badguy(x).left
    there is one
    name = name of the player

So assuming the name of your project is Project1 then you will find an entry in the Registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|Project1

Addicted Member

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registr

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    So assuming the name of your project is Project1 then you will find an entry in the Registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|VB and VBA Program Settings|Project1
    just saying that still isnt clear to me. can u explain alittle more in detail

Have you ever looked inside the Registry? If not then do Start|Run|Regedit and you will see something that looks similar to Windows Explorer. One of the first "folders" will be HKEY_CURRENT_USER. One of it's "sub-folders" will be "Software", etc.

Addicted Member

also is there a way to secure them? so like people dont just go in n edit them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast