Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Back then, we didn't HAVE networks. Neither of the places I worked in the 90s had anything that could be considered a network.
    I came from the time of IPX/SPX, Lantastic and later, Novell. LAN networks were built using coaxial cables. The internet arrived not to long after that.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Back then, we didn't HAVE networks. Neither of the places I worked in the 90s had anything that could be considered a network.
    but the languages were supplied with the documentation when you bought them so you have all the functions in the book which is not anymore the case.

speaking of size and memory, my first PC had a hard disk of 20MB so the size optimization was the rule and before that the Dos was on a 5¼-inch floppy disk and on my first computer which was not a PC I saved my programs on a tape with that kind of device :
    Name:  419eae59ab2a29eda619ee839080d4b6--old-computers-video-player.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  35.4 KB
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Compiling could take an awfully long time back then, too.
    especially if you forgot a semicolon in your 2000 lines C application and don't manage to find it
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Get off my lawn!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    especially if you forgot a semicolon in your 2000 lines C application and don't manage to find it
    Or add one too many... more than once I ended up fixing bugs in C caused by code similar to
    Code:
    for(int i =0; i < 10; i++);  //<-- note the trailing ; which effectively turns the loop into a noop!
    {
    //do something here
    }

but the languages were supplied with the documentation when you bought them so you have all the functions in the book which is not anymore the case.

speaking of size and memory, my first PC had a hard disk of 20MB so the size optimization was the rule and before that the Dos was on a 5¼-inch floppy disk and on my first computer which was not a PC I saved my programs on a tape with that kind of device :
    Name:  419eae59ab2a29eda619ee839080d4b6--old-computers-video-player.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  35.4 KB
    My first computer was a TRS-80 Level 1 with 4K RAM and a tape drive. It could barely do ANYTHING.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Mine was a sanyo PHC 25 https://www.oldcomputr.com/sanyo-phc-25-1982/ with 16KB RAM so I was rich ! by the way Basic was already store in it in the ROM.
    I shared this computer with my father (me doing game, him doing accounting program)

for those who think they have a bad screen, just imagine :

Name:  mqdefault.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  4.3 KB
    Last edited by Delaney; Sep 6th, 2021 at 11:28 AM.

Yeah...up to a point. However, the power consumption of the computer is not really driven by the size of a program, so when it comes to power savings, that doesn't factor into it. As for the need to constantly advance technology, I said several years ago that we're kind of like Wiley Coyote who has run out off the edge of the cliff: As long as we keep running, we'll be okay, and by now, we can't make it back.
    I understand your point..
    As for the need to constantly advance technology,
    I was trying to make a point that we don't seem to care about resources

look at a DVD-Player for instance, that is the technology you are talking about right ?
    VHS-Recorder --> DVD-Player

the point I am trying to make is that it doesn't seem to matter if one can repair this thing,... you here stuff like...just buy a new DVD-Player, it's not worth repairing. Well you perhaps can repair some DVD-Player but 98% is ..throw away Article. I recently bought a Lamp, after a Year it broke and guess what
    you couldn't change the LED, Customer-Service said.. oh it's under warranty, we'll send a new one, just throw that one away...

we don't really pay much attention to resources any more. We have some clever people that tell us every year.... Earth Overshoot Day...
    sorry it is in Geman https://www.br.de/wissen/earth-overs...klima-100.html

you probably have the same for the US
    Last edited by ChrisE; Sep 7th, 2021 at 03:12 AM.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    the point I am trying to make is that it doesn't seem to matter if one can repair this thing,... you here stuff like...just buy a new DVD-Player, it's not worth repairing. Well you perhaps can repair some DVD-Player but 98% is ..throw away Article. I recently bought a Lamp, after a Year it broke and guess what
    you couldn't change the LED, Customer-Service said.. oh it's under warranty, we'll send a new one, just throw that one away...
    If it's less of a hassle to replace it than to repair it, there is no reason we shouldn't just replace it. I see nothing wrong here to be honest.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

If it's less of a hassle to replace it than to repair it, there is no reason we shouldn't just replace it. I see nothing wrong here to be honest.
    and what is the cost to the planet of the throw-away? Who's paying to 'dispose' of it? What happens to it? Landfill, shipped abroad to have it's 'precious' elements stripped out without precautions?

No, IMO the less we throw away the better for out planet. If something can be repaired, it should be. Items should be designed with repairability in mind. I hate to think about how many portable phones have been thrown away for the want of simple repair - or laptops or TVs or...

Why back in the mists of time, I used to help a shop repair valve TVs and wireless sets. It was then far cheaper to have something repaired then to buy new. The way these devices were constructed made repairing them fairly easy.

If we are going to take care of our planet then we need to get back to having devices that can be repaired.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    the point here is that it was not possible to just change the LED, everything else was fine.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Of course it is possible to change an LED. A soldering iron and/or a heat gun, new LED in place, two a penny from ebay.

If you can code and debug, you can fix a simple circuit. A broken LED replacement is easy. It is expected that coders should have some extended technical confidence that extends into the hardware their code runs upon. You don't?

I have just fixed an LED lamp where three LEDs in series were no longer lit. Even when you don't have the correct LED you can often implement a workaround. In this case I replaced the dead LED with a resistor, the other two now light up.

My own thread on this subject was closed due to abuse, this very similar thread is going thoroughly off topic but I like it that way!

My current computer (being rebuilt now) is a Sinclair Spectrum 128k+2

I cut my teeth on the BASIC in this thing (and earlier models).
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Sep 7th, 2021 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    and what is the cost to the planet of the throw-away? Who's paying to 'dispose' of it? What happens to it? Landfill, shipped abroad to have it's 'precious' elements stripped out without precautions?

No, IMO the less we throw away the better for out planet. If something can be repaired, it should be. Items should be designed with repairability in mind. I hate to think about how many portable phones have been thrown away for the want of simple repair - or laptops or TVs or...

Why back in the mists of time, I used to help a shop repair valve TVs and wireless sets. It was then far cheaper to have something repaired then to buy new. The way these devices were constructed made repairing them fairly easy.

If we are going to take care of our planet then we need to get back to having devices that can be repaired.
    I cannot afford such lofty ideals. We are just trying to get by like everyone else. Let the rich worry about such things. They can certainly afford to worry about such things when their bellies are always full. I have no time to worry about things I cannot change.

I have no time to worry about things I cannot change.
    So why the fight about vb.net and VB6 ? Sorry I couldn't help myself, too tempting

So why the fight about vb.net and VB6 ? Sorry I couldn't help myself, too tempting
    Please do not re-rail this thread. It is currently about LEDs, non functioning hardware and old 8 bit computers.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Please do not re-rail this thread. It is currently about LEDs, non functioning hardware and old 8 bit computers.
    So it is the right place for VB6

Quote Originally Posted by peterst View Post
    So it is the right place for VB6
    Not quite, though I do see your point.

I do know of a multi-tasking o/s that runs on 8bit hardware and it also runs BASIC but not VB6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymbOS

A good video explaining why BASIC is better on the zilog Z80 than VB.NET.

Fanatic Member

VB.NET requires (grid of) quantum computers just to warm-up and start in half hour. It is not fair to compare it with Z80 power!

This is a programming forum. People come here looking for answers with regard to programming. It's not out of place to talk of such things as which language is better. We aren't that big here, it's true but we do have some effect. That is our lane. I don't know anything about "saving the planet". I have opinions, like everyone else and my opinion is to leave that to the folks who can worry about such things. I'm a programmer. I will worry about programming things. That means something both here and in my life. I have zero stake in this "save the planet" stuff. I don't make money from it. Nothing in my life revolves around it. Why would I waste my time on that?

A good video explaining why BASIC is better on the zilog Z80 than VB.NET.

Nah....QuickBasic was better.

I get a laugh out of you all showing off your 8 bit hobbyist platforms from the past!

In 1986 I bought my first computer - a used PDP 11/34. 800 bucks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11

I made a serious living off this for a decade - replaced with a VAX...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    [/url]

I had a MicroVax 3100 for a while but that was in the 90s. The most grown up system I owned in the 80s was an Apollo Domain DN330 that I was given by a company that closed down. That was in approx the same timescale, 1987-ish.

I didn't need a Vax of my own as I was working on them all day for all my customers, 11/750, 780, uVax 2000, Vax 8300 &c - I was a consultant VMS sys administrator at that time.

Yay, we have changed another thread to a DEC thread!

Nah....QuickBasic was better.
    I'm not sure. You try writing a multi tasking o/s in QB...

(actually Symbos is written in assembler...)

I get a laugh out of you all showing off your 8 bit hobbyist platforms from the past!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11

Good thing you didn't encounter any anti-VAXers.

Good thing you didn't encounter any anti-VAXers.
    Plenty encountered. Most Unixers at that time were anti-Vaxers: Xenix, Solaris, HP-UX, System 36 were the competitors. In those days it was all about MIPS and VUPS and what you could achieve in a clock cycle. Stable and solid VMS processes running dependably or Unix running quick and dirty threads doing a lot with a lot of potential instability. Windows at that time was just a bit ****. After all that time it has grown and morphed into something else but with Win 10/11 it has returned to its early roots of shitness.

Would you quibble with a nibble?
    Would you gripe about a byte?
    Do these facts about the VAX
    All seem to you quite lax?

Then might I be so bold
    To suggest languages of old
    Aren’t a good modern bet,
    So put your money on .NET.

re: Symbos - "These sorts of development are great reminders of just how bloated modern software is and what is possible if you can avoid the bloat. These (z80) systems are less powerful than a typical modern washing machine or refrigerator."

I remember back in the mid 80's when the TRS-80 was a hot new thing - sitting in the front entrance to every Radio Shack!

My business partner at the time and I wrote a program on that demo model sitting out front, with a READ and a bunch of DATA statements. Employees had no clue what we were doing. Those DATA statements had values that when run through the app we wrote would create big block letters on the screen. I wonder how many of the .Net'ers here even know what a READ/DATA statement is?

When RAN it said

TRS-80
    SUCKS!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

My business partner at the time and I wrote a program on that demo model sitting out front, with a READ and a bunch of DATA statements. Employees had no clue what we were doing. Those DATA statements had values that when run through the app we wrote would create big block letters on the screen. I wonder how many of the .Net'ers here even know what a READ/DATA statement is?
    I know what they are. QuickBasic had them. They share some similarities with data directives in assembly. Probably where they got the idea. Interestingly enough, it seems to be one of the very few things modern BASICs left behind. Might not have been bad to have them around still. Then again, hash tables can serve the same purpose but are far superior.

re: Symbos - "These sorts of development are great reminders of just how bloated modern software is and what is possible if you can avoid the bloat. These (z80) systems are less powerful than a typical modern washing machine or refrigerator."
    I'd rather run nails through my head than go back to the 90s. Yuck. Don't get me wrong, the nostalgia is nice but they are nothing more than fond memories. What we have today is far better. Having 1 kilobyte EXEs is not worth the trouble that comes with it, namely having to build every bloody thing yourself.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 7th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.

Those DATA statements had values that when run through the app we wrote would create big block letters on the screen.
    We all did that. I did it on every PC on display in our WH Smiths store.

When RAN it said

TRS-80
    SUCKS!
    At that time no-one in the UK would have understood what that phrase meant. It hadn't made it over the ocean at that stage. My wording would have been probably more to the point and possibly even more rude at times.

...go back to the 90s
    Who is talking about going back to the 90s?
    This thread is currently about the 8 bit 80s.

PowerPoster

I had one of these in 1978:

Cosmac Super Elf

The SuperElf single-board computer was made by Quest Electronics. It was an improvement of the Netronics Elf and Elf II training boards, also based on the RCA 1802, one of the first RISC microprocessors.

The board also featured an 1861 video chip that was closely tied to the 1802 to generate a video image of 128x64 dots.
    It was more of a curiosity than anything. Very cheap and simple SBC featuring the unusual RCA CDP1802/1861 chipset and simple video output. You could add the expansion board but cost/benefit was such that few ever did. Few people even sprang for the crude enclosure.

It was similar in many ways to other SBC evaluation, training, and prototyping products of the time like the 6502-based KIM-1.

I remember back in the mid 80's when the TRS-80 was a hot new thing - sitting in the front entrance to every Radio Shack!

When RAN it said

TRS-80
    SUCKS!
    Takes me back a bit I remember using them on my old C64. Encoding sprites into data statements and then displaying them with a mixture of PEEK and POKE statements. IIRC you could squeeze a couple of sprites into the tape buffer at memory 832, assuming you didn't need to use the tape that is!

Here is an old, old, old Atari BANNER.BAS program

https://www.atariarchives.org/basicg...ge.php?page=10

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Wow - just seeing ON...GOTO and ON...GOSUB statements again...

https://www.atariarchives.org/basicg...e.php?page=i12

I still feel that GOSUB has a place in the world...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Here is an old, old, old Atari BANNER.BAS program

https://www.atariarchives.org/basicg...ge.php?page=10
    HOLY ****!! WHAT A FIND!!. We had that book or at least one very much like it.

Who is talking about going back to the 90s?
    This thread is currently about the 8 bit 80s.
    That so called "bloat" you're talking about is the part that makes modern programming less of a chore than it would have been in the 90s. If anyone today wants to avoid the "bloat", they can very easily on Windows, just build your program using pure Win32. See how much fun that is. You'll get those tiny programs some of you love so much.....only we aren't really avoiding "bloat" are we. It still requires several GB of Windows......
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 7th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.

I still feel that GOSUB has a place in the world...
    All my DCL scripts (some quite huge) used GOSUB and RETURN.

At that time, DCL could not handle sub routines other than GOSUBs. They look very familiar, I do not feel like using them again.

You folks are OLD. I thought I was old, but I was in high school in the early 80s.

When I was in high school (1982) a local business donated a PDP-8. The school officials had no idea what to do with it so they donated it to the electronics lab. We gutted it for parts. LOL

Later that school year (I was a junior) the lab got a pair of TRS-80s where I wrote my first BASIC code. But I forgot to load a 5-1/4 floppy disk first so I lost all that work because loading a floppy meant rebooting the machine before it could be read.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast