Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] control troubles

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] control troubles

I have written a piece of software that contains 11 forms, each performing a different function. One of these forms is to be used to view and process large pdf images. When 2 points on the image are clicked it needs to draw a line between those 2 points. This is where my problem comes in. I have tried two 3rd party pdfviewer controls to use in my pdf form.

Control #1 did almost everything that I needed and vb6 is supported. An image with a low zoom factor wasn't very clear. It would not plot the lines accurately especially when the image is scrolled. The control would crash the program when I tried to save or print an image. They claim that my pdf files are too large.

Control #2 claims to do everything and vb6 is supported. It worked fine with many functions. The image is clear on all zoom levels. When it came time to plot the lines i get errors. The maker of the control asked me to send them a demo to demonstrate the errors so I did. They came back saying that they thought it was a vb.net control but I am using vb6. They said that they don't have a copy of vb6 and can't legally get a copy. I sent them a link where they can legally aquire vb6. Today I got an email from them claiming that there is an error in vb6 and they are still working on it. Even their sample programs that came with the control dont work. I like this control. Perhaps if I were a more accomplished vb6 programmer, I could make it work.

There is a third control that I like alot. It is perfect, would even give me added capabilities but It doesn't support vb6. My only option would be to hire a programmer to write the pdf form in another language. I would then need a way for other forms in the program to be able to communicate with this form in a different language.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might make these forms communicate?

The only option I can think of to do this would be to rewrite the entire package into a different language.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

PowerPoster

Re: control troubles

I might be wrong but I'm fairly certain that mentioning the names of commercial controls that you are working with isn't prohibited here, so if you were to do that you may get some direct feedback.

That being said, with Control #1, if what the vendor says is true, it should be easy to determine by testing out your code with a smaller PDF image? Did you do that? If so, what was the result?

With Control #3, basically you seem to be asking at the end "How can I make my VB6 application communicate with an application written in X", where right now X is undefined. I doubt anyone can answer that in a generic way that would give you guidance for every possible language that X might end up being.

I would suggest naming the actual controls you are using, and then maybe someone here already has experience with one or more of them and can help, or someone might be motivated to download a trial version of them (if such a trial exists) to see if they can help you out.

Right now your questions are so generic that the only possible answers are "maybe".

Addicted Member

I have pretty much written off control #1, "imageviewer."

Control #2 is called GDViewer. It has a 60 day free trial. Here is the link.

https://www.gdpicture.com/download-gdpicture/

The last control that I liked alot that doesn't support vb6 is called PDFTron. It is located at

http://pdftron.com

It also has a 60 day free trial.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Have you taken a look at FoxIt/Debenu QuickPDF? It has a trial if you want to give it a spin.

Addicted Member

I have tried foxit but it doesn't do everything that I need.

PowerPoster

Do you have a sample PDF we can experiment with?

And just to confirm your requirements:

1) You want to load a PDF and display it as an image on a form.
    2) You want to click 2 points and draw a line between them
    3) You want to save the PDF with the lines appearing on the saved PDF.

Correct?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Do you have a sample PDF we can experiment with?

And just to confirm your requirements:

1) You want to load a PDF and display it as an image on a form.
    2) You want to click 2 points and draw a line between them
    3) You want to save the PDF with the lines appearing on the saved PDF.

Correct?
    Correct. I need to print it also.

PowerPoster

Can you provide a sample PDF? I'm just off to bed so I can't look at it tonight, but possibly tomorrow.

Addicted Member

Can you provide a sample PDF? I'm just off to bed so I can't look at it tonight, but possibly tomorrow.
    I tried uploading it to vbforums but it was larger than their maximum size for uploaded files.

A sample can be downloaded from here

Once you click the link an image will open. Up at the top right of the screen you will see the 3 dot menu. To the left is an image of a printer and to the left of that is a down arrow pointing into an underscore line. Click on this down arrow to download the sample file.

PowerPoster

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I did try your PDF with QuickPDF and it loaded fine. I whipped up a very simple proof-of-concept where I display the PDF at 20% zoom and then clicking on the form draws a red line on the PDF and refreshes the display. There's a save button that will save the PDF and open it in the default PDF app (where it can be printed).

I'd take some different approaches if I were developing the full app for real (primarily caching the page BMP and overlaying the lines rather than rendering the whole PDF every draw), but I just wanted to show what's possible with this demo. I'm going to try to post an animated PNG of the demo here, but I'm not sure if it will work:

Name:  capture (2).jpg
Views: 756
Size:  33.4 KB

Here's the sample code (this is pretty crap quality code, it's just "good enough" to test the concept):

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Const mc_Dpi As Single = 28.8  ' 20% at 144 Monitor DPI

Private mo_Qpdf As DebenuPDFLibraryAX1613.PDFLibrary

Private m_Clicked As Boolean
    Private m_X1 As Single
    Private m_Y1 As Single
    Private m_X2 As Single
    Private m_Y2 As Single

Private Sub Command1_Click()
       mo_Qpdf.SetLineColor 1, 0, 0
       mo_Qpdf.SetLineWidth 5
       mo_Qpdf.DrawLine m_Y1, m_X1, m_Y1, m_X1
       mo_Qpdf.SaveToFile App.Path & "\mob with lines.pdf"

New_c.FSO.ShellExecute App.Path & "\mob with lines.pdf"
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
       Me.ScaleMode = vbPoints

Set mo_Qpdf = New DebenuPDFLibraryAX1613.PDFLibrary
       mo_Qpdf.UnlockKey "TRIAL KEY"

If mo_Qpdf.LoadFromFile(App.Path & "\medicalofficebldg.pdf", "") = 0 Then
          MsgBox "Could not load PDF!", vbExclamation + vbOKOnly, "Error"
          Exit Sub
       End If

mo_Qpdf.SelectRenderer 3 
       mo_Qpdf.SetDPLRFileName App.Path & "\DebenuPDFRendererDLL1613.dll"
       mo_Qpdf.NormalizePage 0

Me.AutoRedraw = True
       mo_Qpdf.RenderPageToDC mc_Dpi, 1, Me.hDC
       Me.AutoRedraw = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_MouseDown(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
       If m_Clicked Then
          m_Clicked = False

m_X2 = X * 5
          m_Y2 = Y * 5

mo_Qpdf.SetLineWidth 5
          mo_Qpdf.DrawLine m_X1, mo_Qpdf.PageHeight - m_Y1, m_X2, mo_Qpdf.PageHeight - m_Y2

Else
          m_Clicked = True

m_X1 = X * 5
          m_Y1 = Y * 5
       End If
    End Sub

PowerPoster

Sadly the forum kills the animated PNG and just shows the first frame

Addicted Member

I will try that control again. If you get the x,y coordinates using the mouse down event it gives you the screen x and y coordinates. If those coordinates are used the line won't plot correctly when the image is scrolled. I will give it another try to be sure.

PowerPoster

Yeah, the demo code is very basic proof of concept using fixed & magic numbers, but you can it all dynamically and do the math to convert screen coords to page coords.

For example, if you set the Form ScaleMode to vbPoints, then you just need to multiply your X/Y coords zoom level (e.g. .2 for 20%, .5 for 50%, 1.5 for 150%). That's for pages that are rendered at the top-left corner of the window. If you are centering your pages, then you will need to add X + Y offsets to your X/Y coordinate calculations.

I think there's a QPDF Viewer library too that handles all the math bits for you and provides convenient events, but you can do it all yourself with the regular QPDF library too.

Addicted Member

Yeah, the demo code is very basic proof of concept using fixed & magic numbers, but you can it all dynamically and do the math to convert screen coords to page coords.

For example, if you set the Form ScaleMode to vbPoints, then you just need to multiply your X/Y coords zoom level (e.g. .2 for 20%, .5 for 50%, 1.5 for 150%). That's for pages that are rendered at the top-left corner of the window. If you are centering your pages, then you will need to add X + Y offsets to your X/Y coordinate calculations.

I think there's a QPDF Viewer library too that handles all the math bits for you and provides convenient events, but you can do it all yourself with the regular QPDF library too.
    I was able to download the QuickPDF and install it. It appears to be installed correctly. It appears in Projects/Components. When I check it to make the control usable it gives me a "can't be loaded error". I emailed the people yesterday about it but haven't heard back from them. I did find a demo online and was able to see how it draws lines. It looks nice. I hope I can get it working.

PowerPoster

Don't add it as a control, use the Project menu > References, then select "Foxit QuickPDF Library 18.11" (or whichever version you have installed.

Addicted Member

Don't add it as a control, use the Project menu > References, then select "Foxit QuickPDF Library 18.11" (or whichever version you have installed.
    I am very sorry for disappearing the way that I did. I had read this last post and before I could respond, a medical situation came up. Hopefully I am back now.

I had downloaded a different Foxit PDFSDK Pro module. I remember having trouble downloading the Quick PDF Library when I had tried before so I tried again. I had problems again and contacted Foxit a week or so ago. They got back to me on Friday with information that enabled me to download the QuickPDFLibrary. I am fixing to try it.

Thanks for your help.

Addicted Member

I installed QuickPDF and selected it in references. I then copied your code and pasted it into a program. I was unable to load my pdf file into it. I tried clicking on it with no file loaded and it did draw a line. Not where I clicked but it did draw.

I had tried a control that drew lines. I could only get screen coordinates. Even using the correct math the lines would not plot correctly.

I can't make heads or tails about your code. I was never formally trained as a programmer.

Addicted Member

I installed QuickPDF and selected it in references. I then copied your code and pasted it into a program. I was unable to load my pdf file into it. I tried clicking on it with no file loaded and it did draw a line. Not where I clicked but it did draw.

I had tried a control that drew lines. I could only get screen coordinates. Even using the correct math the lines would not plot correctly.

I can't make heads or tails about your code. I was never formally trained as a programmer. I may have to hire someone to do this. Do you know if foxit has a control to do this?

The gdviewer control from orpalis.com seems to be what I need. They say it works with vb6. I just can't get it to draw lines. Apparently it draws the lines onto the pdf file without having to plot the lines programmatically. It can even measure the lines drawn.

PowerPoster

A few things to try:

1) Make sure that the "DebenuPDFRendererDLL1613.dll" file is in your application folder. NOTE: I'm using Version 16.13, but if you have version 18.11 (the latest) then you should change the line that references the renderer DLL to 1811. So "DebenuPDFRendererDLL1811.dll".

2) Make sure the medicalofficebuilding.pdf file is also in your application folder.

3) My code creates a DebenuPDFLIbraryAX1613.PDFLibrary object - if you are using 18.11, then you should again change 1613 to 1811.

4) You should also make sure to unlock the library with the trial code you have been given, so change mo_Qpdf.UnlockKey "TRIAL KEY" to mo_Qpdf.UnlockKey "WHATEVER YOUR TRIAL KEY IS"

5) In my demo code I am using another third-party library called vbRichClient to open the PDF in the default PDF viewer after saving it. You likely don't have this library installed, so you can remove the New_C.FSO.ShellExecute line and simply open the saved PDF by double-clicking it in File Explorer.

Hyperactive Member

Hello.
    sorry for bothering.
    It gives me problems the method RenderPagetodc.
    Code:
    Error -2147418113.
    Method "RenderPagetodc" of object "IPDFLibrary" failed

I have version 18.11 registered
    If committing those lines it works perfectly.
    a greeting

PowerPoster

Hmm...not sure why RenderPageToDc would be giving an error - maybe it doesn't like the DI of 28.8 on your computer? Does it work if you change the mc_Dpi value to something like 96 or 144?

Hyperactive Member

Solve it by changing 1 SelectRenderer
    I do not know why it works
    Code:
    mo_Qpdf.SelectRenderer 3

Hyperactive Member

Thanks a lot.
    I have problems with coordinates and dpi.
    I draw the line but always in another position.
    I have tried changing the dpi and multiplier x and y.

a greeting

Addicted Member

Does Debanu have a control for pdf files?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Does Debanu have a control for pdf files?
    They do - if you Google search for "debenu quickpdf viewer sdk" you should be able to find the page. I've never used it, so I can't attest to its quality. Here's what they say on their site:

Debenu PDF Viewer SDK is an add-on to Quick PDF Library which enables you to add PDF viewer functionality to your applications within minutes. While you could build your own PDF viewing functionality using only the “vanilla” Quick PDF Library, the SDK makes the task much faster and easier. The viewer control is provided as an ActiveX which means that it will support any programming environment with ActiveX support such as C#, C++, Delphi, Visual Basic and many more.
    So it's an add-on the the regular QPDF library, meaning you have to buy licenses for both. They do mention that you can do everything the viewer does with the regular QPDF library, but the viewer just makes it easier/faster to accomplish since they've done a bunch of the hard work.

Hyperactive Member

yes version 18.11

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yokesee View Post
    I have problems with coordinates and dpi.
    I draw the line but always in another position.
    I have tried changing the dpi and multiplier x and y.
    Are you clicking and dragging to try and draw the lines? If so, that would explain why they are showing up in the wrong positions. Try clicking point #1, then move the mouse without holding the button down and then click point #2. The line should draw in the expected position.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps there's a DPI/manifest issue that my code isn't taking into account. The code wasn't meant to be anything more than the most basic proof of concept, so it will undoubtedly have problems. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to flesh out a better demo.

PowerPoster

Also just noticed that in my rush I was using some magic numbers, so that could also explain why things aren't drawing in the correct positions.

Change all the "* 5"s to "* (WhateverYourScreenDPIis / mc_Dpi)" and it should work better. For example, in my case I changed them to " * (144 / mc_Dpi)"

If this were proper code, it would determine the DPI for us, but it's purely a proof-of-concept.

Hyperactive Member

click and click do not drag.
    don't worry it wasn't a primary thing.
    thanks for always helping

Addicted Member

Appearing on the PDF where clicked. Some controls have a measure function that measures the line. If that is available, I want that too.

PowerPoster

Measuring the line length is pretty straightforward, assuming you mean the length of the line compared in page size units and not compared to some scale shown on your drawing. That is, your medical building might be 50m long, but the paper is only 90cm. You can show the length of the line on the page by converting the m_X1/X2/Y1/Y2 units from the current "Points" to Centimetres and then run the points through the distance formula. Something like this:

Code:
          ' Put this code after the "mo_Qpdf.RenderPageToDC mc_Dpi, 1, Me.hDC" line in the Form_MouseDown event

m_X1 = m_X1 / 28.3464567 ' Magic number - the number of points per cm. Dividing each "point" value by this number will convert points to centimetres
          m_X2 = m_X2 / 28.3464567
          m_Y1 = m_Y1 / 28.3464567
          m_Y2 = m_Y2 / 28.3464567

MsgBox "Line Length: " & Format$(Sqr((m_X2 - m_X1) ^ 2 + (m_Y2 - m_Y1) ^ 2), "#,##0.00") & " cm"
    Full code of the Form_MouseDown event:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_MouseDown(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
       If m_Clicked Then
          m_Clicked = False

m_X2 = X * (144 / mc_Dpi)
          m_Y2 = Y * (144 / mc_Dpi)

mo_Qpdf.SetLineWidth 5
          mo_Qpdf.DrawLine m_X1, mo_Qpdf.PageHeight - m_Y1, m_X2, mo_Qpdf.PageHeight - m_Y2

m_X1 = m_X1 / 28.3464567
           m_X2 = m_X2 / 28.3464567
           m_Y1 = m_Y1 / 28.3464567
           m_Y2 = m_Y2 / 28.3464567

MsgBox "Line Length: " & Format$(Sqr((m_X2 - m_X1) ^ 2 + (m_Y2 - m_Y1) ^ 2), "#,##0.0") & " cm"

Else
          m_Clicked = True

m_X1 = X * (144 / mc_Dpi)
          m_Y1 = Y * (144 / mc_Dpi)
       End If
    End Sub

Addicted Member

I finally got an email from the company with the GDViewer control and they got the draw line function for vb6 working and it works great. It has a measure function that should work great too.

Your code above could work if the line being measured is either straight up and down or horizontally straight. I have been measuring using the x and y coordinates. It is extremely accurate as long as the file isn't zoomed. When you zoom in, the same line will take more pixels to go the length of the line. If zoomed out it will be less pixels needed to measure the line. Using their measuring would take all of this into account and would be more accurate than when I try to account for a zoom factor.

PowerPoster

If GDViewer has convenience functions that work for you then go for it With the QPDF Library you will have to do the work yourself to take things like zoom into account. Not sure why diagonal measurements were producing different results for you though - I just tried measuring the length of a line drawn from the top-left corner to the bottom-right corner of the "responsibility schedule" on your PDF and I get the same line length (~44cm) regardless of render DPI.

Addicted Member

Are you sure that 44cm is the actual length?

If you measured from the top left of the document to the bottom right of the document it isn't large enough. That is a full page of a construction blueprint. That would be closer to over 40" or 102cm. are you still viewing it at 40%? That would make it real close.

I use the mouse down event to get the x and y coordinates we will call x1 and y1. On the next click we can get x2 and y2. Now we have the coordinates of the ends of the line that we wish to measure. if x1>x2 then we subtract x1 from x2. If x2>x1 we subtract x1 from x2. We do the same with y1 and y2. For a diagonal line we have to take the result of the x total and square it. The same thing is done for the y total. The x squared and y squared are added together. The square root of this is the length of the diagonal line that goes from x1,y1 to x2,y2. So far this method has worked perfectly for measuring lines on blueprints.

I would love to use the QPDF if possible. It is probably much cheaper. I don't really understand it. I need to learn how to use something that has been selected in references rather than a control.

PowerPoster

The document is reporting a page size of 91.44cm x 60.96 cm, or 36" x 24" (I've checked this in Adobe Reader, Sumatra PDF, and Quick PDF, and they all report the same page size).

I'm measuring the diagonal length of the Responsibility Schedule box on page #1 from the top-left corner to the bottom right corner of that box (not the entire page). ~44cm seems about right to my eye. That said, I will restate this code is only a very basic proof-of-concept. Maybe I've misunderstood something, done an improper calculation, or made all sorts of mistakes - the only thing my demo tries to show is that you can draw a PDF page at a desired scale and draw lines on top of that page wherever you like. It also shows that you can measure the length of lines you've drawn relative to the size of the page. There may be bugs, my math may be incorrect, but that is all "fixable" with proper testing.

Just out of curiosity, what size is the first page of the medicalofficebldg.pdf supposed to be if not 36" x 24"? What size are you calculating for the top-left to bottom-right diagonal of the Responsibility Box on page #1?

What it might come down to is a trade-off between ease/speed of development and cost of the chosen library. If the QPDF license is cheaper, it may cost you more in development time especially if you aren't familiar with how to use reference-based/non-control libraries to do on-screen graphics stuff. GDPicture may cost more, but you may be able to meet your goals more quickly and easily, thus saving money in the long run.

Addicted Member

QPDF costs about 15% of what GDPicture costs plus you have to pay that fee yearly along with some other stuff that I'm not so enthused about.

I need to look closer at QPDF.

Addicted Member

Foxit has a PDF SDK Pro control that i downloaded. When I tried to load it, VB gave me a "could not be loaded" error.

PowerPoster

I don't think the Foxit SDK is an ActiveX DLL, the website I found mentions only that C++, C#, and Java are supported, and I suspect it uses a regular non-ActiveX DLL. This theoretically *could* be used from VB6, but it will be a headache if there are no existing VB6 wrappers available as you would have to roll your own.

Addicted Member

I'm sorry that I didn't see where you had asked me to measure that page. I got about 43 inches. I squared the 24 and the 36 then added them together. The square root of that is about 43 inches. That tells me that these are smaller than average drawings.

I measured from the top left corner of the page to the bottom right.

The responsibility box is 17.5 inches or 44.5 cm. It sounds like your method is right.

How do you get the number of dots between x1, y1 and x2, y2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast