Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Has anyone ever tried using Lazarus? That's about the best thing you could expect and it is pretty clunky.
    Yes I have tried it. But I use Lazarus CodeTyphon incarnation form PilotLogic. This one is quite smooth and usable. It comes with a very large library of LCLs.

But when it comes to developing software commercially I prefer to use Delphi for building Linux and Mac OSX platforms using FMX as supplied with Delphi.

Regards,
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Revolutionary Visual Programming IDE.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

vaporware
    Well, even Duke Nukem Forever made it to market eventually.

That story does sound all too familiar though. Cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Well, even Duke Nukem Forever made it to market eventually.

That story does sound all too familiar though. Cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.
    I got it for free and was still disappointed

So as a final follow up, I ended up purchasing CodeSMART by Axtools. It was pretty expensive, but the functionality is well worth it to me. It's cheaper than a subscription. The plug-in emulates the VS.NET IDE closely, but is still really fast, just like VB6. They've been in the game for a while, although the final version for VB6 was released in 2013. Code formatting is a dream, where you can actually specify how many blank lines you want after/before certain keywords. The analyzer is a comprehensive tool like we have in .NET. I just wanted to suggest it, since there is a free 30-day trial period to test it out. I will never go back to the old IDE now, I am hooked.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Impressed that VB6ers are still so dedicated as to shell out that sort of cash at this stage. The toolset is very impressive. However that sort of expenditure is currently beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Impressed that VB6ers are still so dedicated as to shell out that sort of cash at this stage. The toolset is very impressive. However that sort of expenditure is currently beyond me...
    True. It may be about perspective too. I became a professional .NET developer while maintaining a VB6 code base from the beginning. In perspective VS 2017 pro is around $500. I bought VS6 for $125, plus $250 for the IDE upgrade. Although 2017 is a serious development tool, there are issues that make it less attractive. The additional expenses, licensing, certificates, and subscriptions are a big problem. The sluggishness and buggy quirks are another. One bug occurs often when you simply click the text editor of the IDE. It shows a nonsensical error code for no reason. The application installer often fails for no reason, even with a blank "hello world" project. It was time for me to leave the platform so I could continue to make powerful desktop applications. Since, I don't prefer to make those baby apps that run inside a sandbox on Windows 10. But there are still some net classes that are superior and well polished, so I decided to inter-op which extends the IDE in a different way by allowing new references to .net dll's. You would be surprised at how many new references show up once you register the interop dll that I posted here.

I am jealous.

-- I am writing my very own Director language and also have nearly finished it. sorry for the lateness in posting this, I am under the weather have a headache and also it's eight degrees outside, where I am
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

I am going to give that advanced text editor I have mentioned a plug as it is an impressive example of those projects that are created solely by one man.

https://www.rj-texted.se/Forum/index.php

The best thing about it (other than the fact it works, is really good, configurable, is supported &c &c) is that the man takes feature requests and implements them. You raise a request and if it is a good one and within his powers then he implements it within a short period of time. Having a non-zero forum is one good thing about the product, having a non-zero development team is even better. OK, he may only be one better than zero but compared to the VB6 IDE, one person allocated to development seems infinitely better than zero.

Doesn't it get you down continuously working with a product that the main developer seems to despise? The positivity I get from receiving feedback from the developer is not something to be discounted.

Not really a VB6 replacement but perhaps a step or two back in time with just one step forward. QB64 has received a graphical forms designer from a dev named Felippe Heitor. It was released as a beta and has undergone a few changes over the last year but is stable and works.

"InForm’s main goal is to generate event-driven QB64 applications. This means that you design a graphical user interface with interactive controls and then write the code to respond to such controls once they are manipulated."

http://www.qb64.org/inform/overview/

It is a mere subset of what VB6 provided in terms of an IDE and compatibility with VB6 is not one of its aims. However, if you originally came to VB6 from QB45 then QB64 is not an unfamiliar place to code. With a real-working forms designer, QB64 is transformed from just a peculiarity, a kiddie's tool into a real working tool that generates multi-os compatibile programs.

I am using QB64 now as a teaching aid.

"My 10 year old boy is good at mathematics (he has one of those brains) and is learning mathematical concepts that I only grasped at 16-17. At school he was taught programming through one of those high-level event driven graphics programs and some exposure to some simple scripting but no 'real' programming was taught and similarly no exposure to real IDEs and environments.

I wanted him to gain some exposure to BASIC programming methods as it really does lead to a 'basic' understanding of more advanced languages that he may encounter later on.

So, I picked up QB64 as my experience with QB45 led me to believe that it would be a more friendly place to learn BASIC as a beginner, having a straight-forward IDE and good error handling. The result is also rapid and code creation and debugging is dynamic and quick. We have been making enjoyable progress with a program that is designed to insult his older brother in a variety of rude ways.

We didn't want to start with a forms and event-driven method of creating programs as I felt it was simply too much for him to start with, after all I was attempting to stimulate his maths brain with programming concepts that extend mathematics to computers. Not to make him into a junior IDE designer.

When I felt he had BASIC under his belt my next planned step was to be transition the program to a forms-driven basic and then start to expose him to event-driven programming, As such we had previously chosen the Firefly forms designer on top of Freebasic.

Then I find 'Inform' and how thrilled am I? No need to migrate from QB64 to FreeBasic, I can build forms in Inform and demonstrate the integration of forms and form code when we feel the need. For the moment I am familiarising myself with Inform, building trial forms and seeing how they integrate with QB64. I am really rather impressed with Inform and I can see myself actually building real apps with the combination of QB64/Inform. Building real programs with QB in 2018? I can barely believe it. I can tell you now that I am thrilled.

I can see more tools coming form this stable and I for one will welcome anything that arrives to enhance qb64 in a similar manner. Massively impressed, I am working my way, one by one through the programs submitted by users and enjoying each and everyone, so far calculator and the solar system simulator are on my desktop.
    "

Apologies if you have seen QB64/Inform already and apologies for waking this thread from the dead.

I know this does not help those that are hankering for a VB7 but in some way this is a spiritual successor/predecessor so it fits...
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Sep 16th, 2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added italics for the quotes

Duplicated - sorry
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Sep 16th, 2018 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Duplicated - sorry

To show Inform being used in anger, this is a fairly decent example:

https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=119.0

Windows 10 removed the run dialog from the menu and here is a QB64/Inform replacement that does a 95% job of replacing it for Windows 10.

Obviously if you are using WIN API calls your code won't be portable to other o/s but you have flexibility to do your own thing as you see fit.

Hyperactive Member

the team had still been working on it, even now, they are working for a translator which is very much compatible with VB6 syntax, quit slow but little progress every few days.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by loquat View Post
    the team had still been working on it, even now, they are working for a translator which is very much compatible with VB6 syntax, quit slow but little progress every few days.
    How is this work done now? Is there a website that can be tested?
    QQ: 289778005

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChenLin View Post
    How is this work done now? Is there a website that can be tested?
    截止目前,还在构思开发过程中,还没有成品出来。
    不过整体架构的思路,好像跟Olaf大神的创想比较一致

截止目前,还在构思开发过程中,还没有成品出来。
    Ha, Ha!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

想象之地。

Fanatic Member

截止目前,还在构思开发过程中,还没有成品出来。
    fade news?

Hyperactive Member

the team are still working on it...

Hello,

I still fail to grasp and understand the benefit of this new development.

So many companies have tried to build something similar to or near to VB. But most have failed.

Check out these pages, a few very powerful but not that successful projects:

http://www.vbi.org/Folders/index.asp?id=778&t=-129

http://www.kbasic.com/de/index.html

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/acquisitions/appforge/

http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=70

Here is a grand list of many other VB like Dialects and IDEs: http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=windows

After studying and trying most of these I can say with confident that not one can come closer to VB6 ! Some of these also try to place them in the market as VB clone just to get leverage.

So dreaming of getting VB6 clone is a piped dream which will never be fulfilled unless M$ thinks of open sourcing VB6.

One that seems to be closest to VB6 esp when handling ActiveX is probably WinWrap Basic (http://www.winwrap.com/web2/) but again it is not a true compiler. And currently it is packaged and sold as a visual scripting environment that one can embed in their applications.

Regards,
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Hyperactive Member

Chinese translated from above

"Up to now, there are still no finished products in the process of conceiving development.
    However, the overall structure of the idea seems to be more consistent with the idea of ​​Olaf God."

Hyperactive Member

thanks for the conclusion, IndicSoftware
    but i think they can try much more time

Fanatic Member

The main issue is not a new VB6 editor, but a compiler that could compile to 64 bits/Web, mobile....

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry69 View Post
    The main issue is not a new VB6 editor, but a compiler that could compile to 64 bits/Web, mobile....
    Exact.
    Full agree.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    ...with the idea of ​​olaf god."
    roflol

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    ...with the idea of ​​Olaf God."
    ROFLOL

Edit1: for some reason it converts all the text I write to lowercase when posting.
    It must be something of Windows 10 (that I'm using now) and the chinese characters that are on the page. It never happened to me before.

Edit2: now that I added Edit1 it didn't convert the characters to lowercase, very weird.

Edit3: at some point the post was duplicate, the other one shows how it is converted to lowercase.
    It must be Olaf God.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    ROFLOL

Edit1: for some reason it converts all the text I write to lowercase when posting.
    It must be something of Windows 10 (that I'm using now) and the chinese characters that are on the page. It never happened to me before.

Edit2: now that I added Edit1 it didn't convert the characters to lowercase, very weird.

Edit3: at some point the post was duplicate, the other one shows how it is converted to lowercase.
    It must be Olaf God.
    I believe that this is NOT something with Windows 10, but some kind of anti-shouting code in the forum. I remember people playing around with this in the Post Race a long time back.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Yeah, that would be awesome: A single project that would target web, mobile (which pretty much means Apple and Android), and Windows desktop without any re-writing.

That's likely a whole lot harder than just getting a new VB6 that works for the desktop, and that simpler endpoint hasn't been achieved, so the stretch goals are not looking to likely.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

...It must be Olaf God...
    Reminds me of George Carlins: "...must have been Joe Pesci..."
    (at the end of his standup-act, where he talks about religion).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBFdta6oORk

For your peace of mind, I'm not comfortable with that kind of labelling myself...

But perhaps the Google-translator messed this up -
    and it was meant more in the sense of "guru" or something (which has a "religious connotation" as well).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Thumbs up Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I believe that this is NOT something with Windows 10, but some kind of anti-shouting code in the forum. I remember people playing around with this in the Post Race a long time back.
    Ah, yes, it must be that. When the percentage of UPPERCASE is more than something it converts all to lowercase.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Reminds me of George Carlins: "...must have been Joe Pesci..."
    (at the end of his standup-act, where he talks about religion).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBFdta6oORk

For your peace of mind, I'm not comfortable with that kind of labelling myself...

and it was meant more in the sense of "guru" or something (which has a "religious connotation" as well).

Olaf
    Don't worry, I know you are not God.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, that would be awesome: A single project that would target web, mobile (which pretty much means Apple and Android), and Windows desktop without any re-writing.
    Yeah, don't leave out IoT devices though.

The only thing I know of that even comes close is the B4x family of development tools. Even there you have separate tools and languages though at least the IDEs, languages, and libraries are all very similar making a lot of the non-UI code sharable among the different target platforms.

The language syntax seems to lie somewhere between VB6 and VB.Net, sort of a mix of the two.

PowerPoster

Don't worry, I know you are not God.
    Well, that's kinda obvious, because I actually exist...

Olaf

PowerPoster

I was thinking it was more like the end of Ghostbusters, where Gozer the Gozerian (Gozer the Destructor, Gozer the Traveler, Volguus Zildrohar and Lord of the Sebouillia) asks Ray Stantz "Are you a god?"

In other words... not in a polytheistic sense but more of an overlord or privileged being, with perhaps some supernatural aspects. Maybe more of a sorcerer or alchemist than a religious figure.

PowerPoster

because I actually exist
    How can I be sure?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I was thinking it was more like the end of Ghostbusters, where Gozer the Gozerian (Gozer the Destructor, Gozer the Traveler, Volguus Zildrohar and Lord of the Sebouillia) asks Ray Stantz "Are you a god?"

In other words... not in a polytheistic sense but more of an overlord or privileged being, with perhaps some supernatural aspects. Maybe more of a sorcerer or alchemist than a religious figure.
    I was thinking about Zoolander: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wAchJeYrg

PowerPoster

How can I be sure?
    Well, for starters - you could come over here -
    where I'll start slapping you with a raw Bratwurst, till you become a believer ...

Other inventive ways, to answer existential questions are imaginable as well, I guess...

Olaf

PowerPoster

Well, for starters - you could come over here -
    And why don't you come here?

thanks for the conclusion, IndicSoftware
    but i think they can try much more time
    Yes definitely they can try one more time. Who know they may succeed.

Anyways, I would like to take the opportunity to announce that we are gong to release a development tool shortly that will currently support Visual IDE. It will not support ActiveX directly as of today. But we hope to add this feature later on after we launch the product.

The IDE is similar to VB6's IDE where a user can select a control and place it on a forma and write code in relevant event.

IDE itself will be available in both 32 and 64 Bit flavors. It will be support 32Bit and 64Bit compilation in both flavors.

When the product is officially launched I will announce the same here and give complete feature list.

Regards,
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Check this first: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5322005

We are also working on a web development IDE which will run on following web server OSs:
    1. Windows (32 and 64 Bit)
    2. Linux (32 and 64 Bit)
    3. Mac OS X (64 Bit)

Regards,
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast