Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

PowerPoster

Re: I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET

This is an LP01 printer!
    Boy did I use to kill a lot of trees when all I had was a line editor. After a couple of coding changes it was time to print out the program, over and over. Our boss would have us programmers turn the paper over and use the other side. lol

and why we must all see the error (resume next) of our ways,
    That's funny!!!

Back end code is COBOL
    COBAL is like the Cockroach of programming languages. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I think VB6 is much a better tool/language than VB.NET - Discuss.

This thread is a better place for this discussion than all the other threads where this often off-topic argument is currently and continuously rearing its head.

Olaf and Niya - you have a passport to this thread. Please enjoy.
    You're late to this party. I already made a thread like this months ago.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    No, this is a much better thread because it is about VB6 being better than VB.NET, so it is clearly a better thread than yours.

Your thread was only about VB.NET being better so it must be a worse thread being about a worse language. Logic, eh?

Niya, read right from the beginning, the OP.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

There is nothing that could be said here that couldn't be said over there. But whatever, suit yourself. Not a hill I'm willing to die on
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

There is nothing that could be said here that couldn't be said over there. But whatever, suit yourself. Not a hill I'm willing to die on
    Brilliant, we'll get on without you and see if it descends into the usual battle. We now have a function.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    , The BASIC on PDP/11's had UNLESS/THEN statements just like we all enjoy IF/THEN statements today. We used them extensively.
    I liked it. It would be helpful for me in some cases ... Yereverluvinuncleber ... would be good for tb / rb

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Brilliant, we'll get on without you and see if it descends into the usual battle. We now have a function.
    Oh, I get it now. This thread is for "yes men"

Have at it.

Lemme throw you a bone here.

Recently a client asked if our POS application has an API to access it's data like daily sales or it's products list. Our application is written in VB6 with an SQL Server database backend that can sometimes reside on the same machine or another machine on the same LAN. The VB6 front-end typically runs on a Windows 10 machine and the Sql Server instance runs on either Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2016. It varies from client to client but it's usually one of those 3.

The reason for need of an API is for another developer to write other applications for the client that works against our data. Now I don't like the idea of letting them interface with Sql Server directly because for one thing, we don't like people messing around with our stuff and secondly, I really don't want to give them the extra work of trying to figure out what is what in our database, for example like which tables need to be joined with which to figure out what the today's sales are.

My solution is to provide an API that will provide them with exactly the data they want. My idea is to expose our data through an HTTP end point using a Windows Service that can reside on any machine in the network. I'm going to write this in VB.Net. You say VB6 is better. Convince me to write it in VB6 instead.

Very simple proposition based on an actual real life scenario. VB6 is perfectly capable of doing this. Tell me why it would be better than using VB.Net.

@niya - your question is a non starter in my world. If I'm using IIS in some kind of secure environment it will never have VB6 back end code. If you ever get pen-tested you will fail for just using an old version of jQuery!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

@niya - your question is a non starter in my world. If I'm using IIS in some kind of secure environment it will never have VB6 back end code. If you ever get pen-tested you will fail for just using an old version of jQuery!
    It's not meant to be very robust at this time. We still have to iron out a lot of details, but for now, I'm working under the assumption that this end-point could be confined to a LAN environment. Also, where I'm from, people are not as sophisticated as they are in the US. Cyber security is basically a non-issue in our world. If people want your stuff, they do it the old fashion way, kick in your door with guns. Nobody over here is gonna sit at a computer for hours trying to poke holes in your firewall just to query a database. Unscrupulous people here aren't that sophisticated.

I've had open and completely unsecured end-points for various applications running for years over the internet by our clients and our home with zero problems. If someone wants to target a business over here, they are coming with guns, not laptops.

What this means is that I can make it as simple as I want without too much thought towards security and the like. IIS is a bit over kill in this environment. I was able to put together a simple prototype HTTP API in like 10 minutes in VB.Net.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 24th, 2021 at 08:25 PM.

@niya - so you are putting your home grown web server - just published today - up against this post about why VB6 might still float? Well written - but not quite fair, lol!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

@niya - so you are putting your home grown web server - just published today - up against this post about why VB6 might still float? Well written - but not quite fair, lol!
    Forgive me. I'm not sure I follow.

I am a new developer, I just bought a computer today (you know, the year 2021), and need to start learning to developing immediately. I can download VS community or I can spend extra money to find a legal copy of the VB6 IDE.

How is VB6 superior to the .NET framework in this instance?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I am a new developer, I just bought a computer today (you know, the year 2021), and need to start learning to developing immediately. I can download VS community or I can spend extra money to find a legal copy of the VB6 IDE.

This is actually a good point.

Frenzied Member

Forgive me. I'm not sure I follow.
    Don't follow, otherwise it will become another joke. However, I am not sure if someone is willing to teach you new vb6 knowledge.

This is actually a good point.
    So, put your point of view to those new developers, not here. In fact, young people are much smarter than you think. They know what they should learn.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 24th, 2021 at 09:53 PM.

I have to agree with Post#5

but perhaps it is just faith what we do and use.... and it's all down to our zodiac sign
    Name:  Horrorskop400x400.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  28.7 KB

a Oracle User is Taurus the Bull
    a Vb6 User is ?????
    a .Net User is ?????

a User that uses VB6 and .Net is a Sagittarius, best of both ?
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Frenzied Member

Good article (good negative textbook), it can't be better. So should we eliminate horses or ban people from riding?

I'm thinking about a question. What would it be like if a bad car salesman kept saying to the horse racer that "a car is a better tool than a horse".

Or, what would it feel like this terrible car salesman kept telling the locals that "cars are a better tool than horses" in a mountainous area without roads? Maybe the car salesperson didn't know that some of these locals were senior engineers in car factories or owners of car factories, or even airplane designers. The car salesman kept laughing at senior car engineers and senior aircraft engineers for not understanding modern technology.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Good article (good negative textbook), it can't be better. So should we eliminate horses or ban people from riding?

I'm thinking about a question. What would it be like if a bad car salesman kept saying to the horse racer that "a car is a better tool than a horse".

Or, what would it feel like this terrible car salesman kept telling the locals that "cars are a better tool than horses" in a mountainous area without roads? Maybe the car salesperson didn't know that some of these locals were senior engineers in car factories or owners of car factories, or even airplane designers.
    I think a far more interesting exercise would be to figure out why most people are driving cars instead of riding horses if horses are so great.

Frenzied Member

I think a far more interesting exercise would be to figure out why most people are driving cars instead of riding horses if horses are so great.
    lol. On this question, you should ask horse racers, or automotive engineers or aircraft engineers who live in the mountains (on vacation).

Oh, I get it now. This thread is for "yes men"
    Not at all. If you choose to stay or go it has a purpose. It has a purpose either way.

Frenzied Member

This afternoon, while searching for information about "stdcall", I found some threads from 2013 in which both Olaf and Niya appeared. At that time, Niya was exactly the same as he is now. In other words, Niya has been fighting in vbForums for 8 years in his current state.

For 8 years, Niya hasn't changed anything (regardless of personality or programming skills).

Passing Array of Strings Between VB and C

Performance of the VB6 native compiler

IMO, 8 years is enough to write a new VB6 compiler from scratch.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 06:57 AM.

This afternoon, while searching for information about "stdcall", I found some threads from 2013 in which both Olaf and Niya appeared. At that time, Niya was exactly the same as he is now. In other words, Niya has been fighting in vbForums for 8 years in his current state.

For 8 years, Niya hasn't changed anything (regardless of personality or programming skills).

Passing Array of Strings Between VB and C

Performance of the VB6 native compiler

IMO, 8 years is enough to write a new VB6 compiler from scratch.
    God I was so afraid of Unicode back then.....Watching how I handled those Strings in C++ today makes me want to vomit.

Also in that thread I think we got a bit carried away. Olaf completely missed my point about immutable Strings in VB6 causing performance problems when writing String processing algorithms. The problem I was running into then was that VB6 had to perform concatenations of huge Strings just to change a few characters in a large text. In C/C++ you could perform some changes in place by directly referencing addresses inside the String. However, it didn't occur to me at the time that I could do the same thing in VB6 using StrPtr, some pointer math and RtlMoveMemory. However, it's still better to write such things in C though in my opinion. It would be so much cleaner.

Frenzied Member

Also in that thread I think we got a bit carried away. Olaf completely missed my point about immutable Strings in VB6 causing performance problems when writing String processing algorithms. The problem I was running into then was that VB6 had to perform concatenations of huge Strings just to change a few characters in a large text. In C/C++ you could perform some changes in place by directly referencing addresses inside the String. However, it didn't occur to me at the time that I could do the same thing in VB6 using StrPtr, some pointer math and RtlMoveMemory. However, it's still better to write such things in C though in my opinion. It would be so much cleaner.
    People's thoughts will change with time and age, so don't say extreme or absolute words. If you can't contribute to the development of VB6, then just be a quiet audience and stop preaching that one language is better than another. We are all grown-ups with rich programming experience, and we know how to make choices that suit us.

My wife's brother is 10 years younger than me. He is very smart and has a high IQ. He graduated from a prestigious university. We often argue about certain things, and he always insists on his own ideas.
    We had a heated debate about something 10 years ago. Ten years later, we debated the same thing again. I said a word: "Isn't your current view the same as my view 10 years ago?" He was silent. He mistakenly thought that even though he was 10 years younger than me, he had better ideas than me. It was only 10 years later that he discovered that he was not much smarter than me.

If you want to promote that VB.NET is better, it doesn't matter, please go to the VB.NET sub-forum to promote your views. If you want to promote that C# is better, then please go to the C# sub-forum to post your views. This is what I have always wanted to say to you.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 08:04 AM.

So, put your point of view to those new developers, not here. In fact, young people are much smarter than you think. They know what they should learn.
    It is not a point of view, it is a question. A question that you didn't answer.

Frenzied Member

It is not a point of view, it is a question. A question that you didn't answer.
    I don't think I need to answer this question, because I think the chances of a new developer appearing in the VB6 sub-forum are rare. Even if they show up, they will soon find out that they have entered the wrong place, and they will switch to another place. Isn't it?
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 08:25 AM.

I don't think I need to answer this question, because I think the chances of a new developer appearing in the VB6 sub-forum are rare. Even if they show up, they will soon find out that they have entered the wrong place, and they will switch to another place. Isn't it?
    So then do you admit that VB6 is not a better tool than VB.NET (or C++, C#, or F# since they'd be available with the Visual Studio download) in this instance?

Frenzied Member

So then do you admit that VB6 is not a better tool than VB.NET (or C++, C#, or F# since they'd be available with the Visual Studio download) in this instance?
    No, at least not for me.

As a software project manager, in the past 20 years, I had been paying attention to the latest technology developments (including each new version of .NET and VisualStudio), but I have not paid attention to any information about .NET and VisualStudio in the last 3 years. Yes, VisualStudio(for .NET) no longer exists on all my computer.

In addition, for a new developer, my advice to him is not to use Microsoft's technology, or not to use Microsoft's technology (such as programming language) as the main technology, but to learn and use open source technology as much as possible. I would recommend C, C++, Golang, Rust, JavaScript, Node.Js, Python, Java, Swift, to him.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 08:40 AM.

In addition, for a new developer, my advice to him is not to use Microsoft's technology, or not to use Microsoft's technology (such as programming language) as the main technology, but to learn and use open source technology as much as possible.
    You're still not answering the question, though you sort of indirectly answer it with the quote above in that you would suggest that the developer not use Microsoft technology, which would presumably include VB6.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Pfft, you're all stupid to have moved on from HammerAndChisel 6.0. It was great for programming on tablets.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

To that point, why wouldn't you suggest TypeScript? TypeScript can be used to make both client-side and server-side applications and it is the driving language behind the Angular framework. After all TypeScript is developed and maintained by Microsoft.

Frenzied Member

You're still not answering the question, though you sort of indirectly answer it with the quote above in that you would suggest that the developer not use Microsoft technology, which would presumably include VB6.
    For a new developer, I would suggest to him C, C++, Golang, Rust, JavaScript, Node.Js, Python, Java, Swift.

I would not recommend new developers to learn VB6, but when twinBasic, RadBasic or Olaf's VB.Next compiler is successfully developed, I would recommend skilled developers or new developers to pay attention to these languages. In fact, they do not need my advice. As long as these new Basic-like languages are successful, there will naturally be many young people to learn and use them.

Oh, forgot to tell you, I'm also developing a scripting language similar to VB6. So far, I have completed 80% of the development of the transpiler.

For a new developer, I would suggest to him C, C++, Golang, Rust, JavaScript, Node.Js, Python, Java, Swift.

I would not recommend new developers to learn VB6, but when twinBasic, RadBasic or Olaf's VB.Next compiler is successfully developed, I would recommend skilled developers or new developers to pay attention to these languages. In fact, they do not need my advice. As long as these new Basic-like languages are successful, there will naturally be many young people to learn and use them.

Oh, forgot to tell you, I'm also developing a scripting language similar to VB6.
    Doesn't that go against your quote of
    but to learn and use open source technology as much as possible
    as aren't both twinBasic and RadBasic closed source languages. Also dotnet core is an open source language now anyway.

Why would you sacrifice your principles so easily? When I first joined VBForums, VB6ers would keep going until they said something so completely out of line that got them a temporary ban.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Doesn't that go against your quote of as aren't both twinBasic and RadBasic closed source languages. Also dotnet core is an open source language now anyway.
    No, my purpose is to let them learn Basic syntax, and then choose the most efficient development tool to quickly complete their work.

Frenzied Member

Why would you sacrifice your principles so easily? When I first joined VBForums, VB6ers would keep going until they said something so completely out of line that got them a temporary ban.
    When I decide to develop a scripting language similar to VB6, it means that I will be associated with VB6 for the rest of my life. Isn't it?

What kind of determination do you want to see?

If I rewrite my millions of lines of VB6 code into modern-apps with RC6, I can make a lot of money. But I didn't do this. I chose to do another project that will almost never make money, and that will almost certainly consume my life's energy. Why? Because I want to do what I like to do.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Aug 25th, 2021 at 09:05 AM.

Frenzied Member

To that point, why wouldn't you suggest TypeScript? TypeScript can be used to make both client-side and server-side applications and it is the driving language behind the Angular framework. After all TypeScript is developed and maintained by Microsoft.
    I forgot to talk about TypeScript. Yes, TypeScript and VSCode are Microsoft's most exciting open source projects and must be learned by young people. The transpiler I develop now is to translate my scripting language into JavaScript and TypeScript.

I forgot to talk about TypeScript. Yes, TypeScript and VSCode are Microsoft's most exciting open source projects and must be learned by young people. The transpiler I develop now is to translate my scripting language into JavaScript and TypeScript.
    You are so full of contradictions. First you say:
    In addition, for a new developer, my advice to him is not to use Microsoft's technology, or not to use Microsoft's technology (such as programming language) as the main technology
    Then you dismiss .NET core outright.

Do you even know what you want?

Frenzied Member

You are so full of contradictions. First you say:

Then you dismiss .NET core outright.

Do you even know what you want?
    Of course I know what I want (your tone is like Niya).

I know that .NETCore is open source, but I don't have the time and interest to study .NETCore. I don't know what is the relationship between .NetCore and TypeScript and VSCode, but I know that JavaScript is not related to .NETCore, this is enough. There is only VSCode on my computer.

What else do you want to know?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast