Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Quote Originally Posted by peterst View Post
    Anyone around ever opened "stackoverflow.com" site? Or ever been redirected by google search there? It was written by ex-VB6ers...
    Isn't it also written in C#/ASP.NET? Best of both worlds!

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Isn't it also written in C#/ASP.NET? Best of both worlds!
    Full site was running only 25 physical servers (with fully redundancy for everything, including secondary data center) few years ago where other similar sites require hundreds of servers for scaling so much users: https://stackexchange.com/performance

And it is .NET, and (what a shame) - no VB6.

Fanatic Member

Real Programmers Don't Use PASCAL

Replace Pascal with .NET, Fortran with VB6 and here we go again 40 years later

Not sure that is worth your time or effort unless you want to do it for your own benefit.
    To be honest, I've actually wanted to do something like this for a long time but not for demonstrating to other people but mainly to gauge if it is really as bad as it feels whenever I go back and do stuff in VB6. There is marked difference between the two environments and it seems I just can't put it into words. I can very clearly feel the difference, it's like night and day but I cant really describe it. I'm actually very curious about the outcome myself. I am actually looking forward to doing it, even if it ultimately doesn't change anything. It is as much for me as for anyone else. I wanna sit back and watch myself write a program in both environments and really examine them objectively. There is a reason people so vehemently defend VB6. I genuinely want to understand why. Perhaps this little experiment would answer this question.

Also, I'm naturally a very obsessive person. If something really catches my interest, I tend to go all in with it. I have a lot of problems with the concept of just giving up. Others can decide whether they feel that it's a good thing or a bad thing but it's just the way I am.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    There is a reason people so vehemently defend VB6.
    I genuinely want to understand why. Perhaps this little experiment would answer this question.
    If you are genuine, and really want to understand why...

Then why not try to re-implement the little VB6-Demo I've published in posting #93?

Making a video out of it seems like a good idea, in that we can all share your pain, when you tackle this task in .NET...

If you instead show us "ham-handed attempts - whilst mishandling the VB6-IDE" ...
    (because you are not familiar with it anymore) - that would prove nothing to anybody.

Show us your attempts in an IDE you're familiar with, when tackling a problem of mid-level difficulty (as the one in post #93).
    As a game-developer you should not even be entirely out of your comfort-zone - when it comes to such "graphics-stuff".

Just my $0.02 with regards to your planned video.

Olaf

Niya, I think you should do it on Tik-Tok using interpretive dance. It may not communicate all that well, but it would be far more entertaining.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I've been picturing the Church Lady doing her "Superior Dance."

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Niya, I think you should do it on Tik-Tok using interpretive dance. It may not communicate all that well, but it would be far more entertaining.
    Now there's an idea
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

@Niya

if you get stuck with the VB6-IDE you can use your Telefon-Joker
    Olaf's number is 0800 123 456
    or ask the audience

just joking
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Then why not try to re-implement the little VB6-Demo I've published in posting #93?
    This is a very interesting suggestion but it's unsuitable for 2 reasons. The less important reason is that while I do have a lot of experience with graphics programming both going all the way back to QuickBasic, it's always been in a very specific area, 2D raster graphics. Transparency, alpha blending, manipulating different formats like PNGs, BMPs, manipulating color and a whole lot of other stuff I can't recall right now. I know a quite a bit about that stuff but I've never explored vector graphics programming to any degree beyond simple geometry. Implementing your example would require me to become more proficient at vector graphics, something that I'm certainly not afraid of because as you've pointed out, it falls into a domain I'm very familiar with. But I really don't want to spend the time right now learning about B-splines and all that. However, I will be happy to revisit it at a later date. It is certainly something I'm interested in but not right now. I haven't done any serious graphics programming in a couple years now. All of my recent stuff has been purely business oriented.

The second and the actual main reason it's unsuitable is that it is too specific. The type of project must be aimed at showing the general experience. Most people aren't writing vector graphics code in their daily work unless it's specifically in a domain that demands it like writing games or they are part of an OS design team that is working on the UI. I'd wager that most people are just writing data-centric applications. The most common form of a data-centric application is a CRUD application.

If you instead show us "ham-handed attempts - whilst mishandling the VB6-IDE" ...
    (because you are not familiar with it anymore) - that would prove nothing to anybody.
    This is a very fair point and one I've considered deeply. I haven't seriously used VB6 in years and when I left, I didn't know about RC5 or Krool's controls. It is very reasonable to expect that my little experiment will show VB6 in a very negative light due to my own lack of ability developing applications with it in 2021. For this reason the application will very simple. Nothing too fancy. It won't be anything that a newbie programmer cannot create. This entire thing is about the development experience and the good thing about it is that the real focus is not actually on the application itself but how effective the tools being used are. You don't need anything fancy for that.

Bear in mind, I'm just as curious about the results as you are. For all I know I may find that writing the VB6 version wouldn't be as painful as I'm thinking it would be. But I will try to be as fair to VB6 as possible. I'm not such a low person that I will deliberately sabotage myself just to win an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by chrise View Post
    @niya

if you get stuck with the vb6-ide you can use your telefon-joker
    olaf's number is 0800 123 456
    or ask the audience

just joking
    lmao

If you are genuine, and really want to understand why...

Making a video out of it seems like a good idea, in that we can all share your pain, when you tackle this task in .NET...

Show us your attempts in an IDE you're familiar with, when tackling a problem of mid-level difficulty (as the one in post #93).
    As a game-developer you should not even be entirely out of your comfort-zone - when it comes to such "graphics-stuff".

Just my $0.02 with regards to your planned video.

Olaf
    I am not a graphics guy, nor am I a winforms guy, nor am I a math guy, but here is a quick thing I pieced together that seems to do the same thing as yours. Like you, I used a 3rd party library which can be found here. However I wasn't able to find the source of RC6 to compare to. (I assume it is closed source)

Obviously with me not being a winforms or graphics guy, I googled a lot, and pulled examples off of SO.

I also haven't bothered to really prettify anything or add the controls to the form.

Code:
    private void Form1_Paint(object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
    {
                var text = "A Text-Path, projected from a BSpline-Surve --> (acting as the BaseLine)";
                var fontFamily = new FontFamily("Arial");
                var fontSize = 26;

var g = e.Graphics;
                var random = new Random(-9);

List<Point> points = new List<Point>();

for(var i = 0; i < 7; i++)
                    points.Add(new Point(i * 90 + 50, (int)(30 + random.NextDouble() * 350)));

// Create the spline, exit if no points to bend around.
                var cd = BezierSplineCubic2D.CreateCurve(points.ToArray(), 0, points.Count, 0);
                var spline = new BezierSplineCubic2D(cd);
                if (spline.Beziers == null || spline.Length == 0) 
                    return;

// Draw the spline curve the text will be put onto using inbuilt GDI+ calls
                g.DrawCurve(new Pen(Color.Red, 5), points.ToArray());

// draw the control point data for the curve
                for (int i = 0; i < cd.Length; i++)
                    g.FillEllipse(new SolidBrush(Color.Blue), cd[i].X - 2F, cd[i].Y - 2F, 8F, 8F);

// Turn the text into points that can be bent - if no points then exit:
                var path = new GraphicsPath();
                path.AddString(text, fontFamily, (int)FontStyle.Regular, fontSize, new Point(0, 0), StringFormat.GenericDefault);

var curvedData = (PointF[])path.PathPoints.Clone();
                var curvedTypes = (byte[])path.PathTypes.Clone();
                var dataLength = curvedData.Length;

if (dataLength == 0) 
                    return;

// Bend the text around the spline
                spline.BendShapeToSpline(path.GetBounds(), dataLength, ref curvedData, ref curvedTypes);

// draw the transformed text path
                var textPath = new GraphicsPath(curvedData, curvedTypes);
                g.FillPath(new SolidBrush(Color.Black), textPath);
    }

Output is

In total it took me about 45 minutes.

I have no interest in showing you as I coded in the IDE as this isn't meant to prove anything. I was just curious because the following line:

Made me think you had done it in .NET yourself and it was a really hard task.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 02:21 PM.

This line:

is an odd one. Normally, you wouldn't create a Random object in the Paint event, but you also wouldn't create one with a seed. Since you ARE creating one with a seed, you may have to create it in the Paint event for it to work right. If you created it the way they are normally created, then the behavior would be quite different. Frankly, I think it shouldn't be there. Creating one object at form scope and without a seed, then calling NextDouble and caching the result, seems like a better approach.

This line:

is an odd one. Normally, you wouldn't create a Random object in the Paint event, but you also wouldn't create one with a seed. Since you ARE creating one with a seed, you may have to create it in the Paint event for it to work right. If you created it the way they are normally created, then the behavior would be quite different. Frankly, I think it shouldn't be there. Creating one object at form scope and without a seed, then calling NextDouble just once and caching the result, seems like a better approach.
    I just did it because it was Schmidt did it in his example (unless I misunderstand the VB6 code). Normally I would use a random seed.

This is not meant to be well-written code lol.. I basically got it working and posted it.. that is my "troubleshooting" code basically... didn't feel like cleaning it up.

PowerPoster

Niya,

Making a video wont change any minds but if you can't help yourself then I'd suggest doing a practice project in each language before recording. This will help you refresh your VB6 skills.

Still there is the problem of there is more than one way to create a simple crud system. If I had an established relational db, I could create a parent/child form using a datasource and drag/drop (typed dataset and tableadapters) with crud functionality in 5 minutes. If I wanted to roll my own it would be at least 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    This will help you refresh your VB6 skills.
    Oh this is a must. I want to be as fair as possible with VB6.

Still there is the problem of there is more than one way to create a simple crud system. If I had an established relational db, I could create a parent/child form using a datasource and drag/drop (typed dataset and tableadapters) with crud functionality in 5 minutes.
    It's will probably be simpler than that. I may not even use a database engine. Haven't exactly decided yet. The idea I currently have in my head is using a simple file with structured data as a database.

Making a video wont change any minds
    It's not meant to change anyone's mind. Just an attempt to communicate more effectively.

Ok I figured out the video recording stuff. It's actually a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. Here's my test run of recording and uploading.

Frenzied Member

Wow...you guys have been such busy bees.

After coming back from the job site last night I decided to take a small break. A break from VBForums, a break from programming. I ate, watched some TV and went to bed. Sometimes taking a short break from something really is good. It gave me time to think about why we seem to be going round and round. Why is it we seem so unable to communicate effectively why us here on the .Net side of the fence much prefer modern Visual Studio editions over archaic VB6. I realized that we've been going about this all wrong. You see when you get right down to it, what we really love about modern Visual Studio is the little things that add up to a much more productive development experience. Now we can post code until we're blue in the face it effectively communicates nothing. The problem is that words cannot communicate what a more productive development experience really means. Words are the wrong tool for the job. You see if I post something in VB.Net and Olaf posts how he did the same thing in VB6, all it shows is that it can be done. We don't see how each of us got there. We don't see the experience of writing the code.

So I came up with an idea. You could say I had an epiphany yesterday. There is a way to show people exactly what we are talking about. There is a tool that we can use. It's not words, it's images. Video to be exact. So here's what I'm going to do. I've decided to write an application. Nothing fancy, just a small application, something that represents what most people might be working on. I'm kind of settled on a very simplistic CRUD application but I may not decide that in the end but that's probably what I'll go with. I will write the application twice from start to finish, once in VB6 and once in VB.Net/WPF. The idea is that the video will capture the experience of developing the application in both environments. I'm hoping it will show how all the little things like language features, IDE features, the immediate availability and robustness of the .Net Framework come together to create a better development experience.

Now I'm going to hold myself to a couple rules so that it is a realistic demonstration of application development. The big one is no copy-paste of large pre-arranged pieces of code to cheat the experiment. The second rule is that the demonstration MUST begin with the creation of a blank Visual Studio project. So no starting the project after importing libraries, Win32 APIs etc. all that goes into the development experience and it must be shown. Now I'm going to allow myself some preparation so I don't end up with lengthy periods where I'm trying to remember how to do this or that. I want it to be one straight run from start to finish with no kind of pauses where I have to google something or struggle to get something to work because I didn't quite remember how to do it.

Now I want to be clear, my goal is not to convince anyone not to love VB6 or give it up. It never was. It is just to show you what we see and give you an idea of why we say the things we say. I don't expect fences to be mended by this. To be honest I don't even know how this little experiment would affect the discussion. I just hope it will bring us all on whatever side of the fence we sit closer to understanding each other.

Now I have never done this kind of thing. I'm not a social media guy. I don't know anything about recording videos or uploading them or any of that. I don't do TikTok and I only ever watch YouTube. So before I do this, I'm going to have to look for some screen recording software, learn how to use it, how to upload it ect. It's gonna be a spell before I actually do this. I'm gonna have to give myself a crash course on this. Hopefully it won't take too long and we can get this ball rolling.
    Hi Niya, I have to say that I really appreciate this comment from you, it seems to have changed my impression of you. If you have no objection, I want to rejoin this thread.

In addition, it's recommended not to use some words such as "cheat" and "lie" in the comments. After all, there are many VB6ers who are more familiar with .NET than you. We just want to discuss questions from the of perspective of application, technology or software engineering.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Hi Niya, I have to say that I really appreciate this comment from you, it seems to have changed my impression of you. If you have no objection, I want to rejoin this thread.
    You don't need anybody's permission. You are most welcome to come and go as you see fit.
    In addition, it's recommended not to use some words such as "cheat" and "lie" in the comments.
    Yes, those are mildly inflammatory words. A little heat here, a little heat there, and pretty soon you have a fire.

After all, there are many VB6ers who are more familiar with .NET than you.
    By the same token, that statement does you no good. You've often been dismissive of your own skills, and occasionally overly confident in them. You shouldn't be doing that. You REALLY shouldn't be doing that with other people. You don't know anybody on here, just what they write. What people write on here is not indicative of much of anything. For one thing, people only contribute to the areas they think they have something to contribute to. That makes the sample inherently biased, and shows nothing much about their skill. This forum is essentially giving everybody a test consisting of hundreds, or thousands, of questions. They can provide an answer for just those that they feel like. If they are given a grade based solely on the questions they chose to answer, while ignoring all the questions they chose not to answer, then you end up with a terribly skewed view of their knowledge. Everybody on here has more to contribute than they share with us. That's just how it is. So, be complimentary if you feel it appropriate, but hesitate to suggest who has more knowledge based on VBF, because we just don't know.

Ok I figured out the video recording stuff. It's actually a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. Here's my test run of recording and uploading.

My takeaway from that video: OMG you read with your cursor!

Hi Niya,

can't see or hear anything

somthing went wrong?
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Frenzied Member

By the same token, that statement does you no good. You've often been dismissive of your own skills, and occasionally overly confident in them. You shouldn't be doing that. You REALLY shouldn't be doing that with other people. You don't know anybody on here, just what they write. What people write on here is not indicative of much of anything. For one thing, people only contribute to the areas they think they have something to contribute to. That makes the sample inherently biased, and shows nothing much about their skill. This forum is essentially giving everybody a test consisting of hundreds, or thousands, of questions. They can provide an answer for just those that they feel like. If they are given a grade based solely on the questions they chose to answer, while ignoring all the questions they chose not to answer, then you end up with a terribly skewed view of their knowledge. Everybody on here has more to contribute than they share with us. That's just how it is. So, be complimentary if you feel it appropriate, but hesitate to suggest who has more knowledge based on VBF, because we just don't know.
    I have hinted to Niya many times, both Olaf and I know .NET deeply. And the .NET knowledge shown by the people here (especially Niya) is just some basic .NET knowledge (knowledge that a programmer who has used .NET for 2-3 years has), these basic .NET knowledge is not enough to support their views.

I have hinted to Niya many times, both Olaf and I know .NET deeply. And the .NET knowledge shown by the people here (especially Niya) is just some basic .NET knowledge (knowledge that a programmer who has used .NET for 2-3 years has), these basic .NET knowledge is not enough to support their views.
    you should step back a bit and think before you write somethimg like that,
    who is being rude now? IMO you are
    and I think that Olaf can speak for himself

I don't have a clue how well you know .NET or VB6 so Happy Programing to you
    Last edited by ChrisE; Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.

I agree. I have no idea how much you do or do not know. I feel the same way about Olaf, except that I feel his knowledge of VB6 has been demonstrated to be profound.

Humble and polite as always, DreamManor, I have always loved your so great interpersonal communication skills...
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I go away for a couple of days and you guys are at each others throats! I thought the post was about mark up languages and libraries allowing you easier access to powerful end results.

RAD, man!

How about this for RAD. Let's say one of your clients, a college in this case, has an app of yours. That app has a dashboard. They are offering a new program for "student assistance" and they want you to add a tile to that dashboard that allows for entry of a student id. You are going to simply record the date/time of the student getting assistance. And they are going to use an ID CARD scanner - which you have code for somewhere, having done that once before.

How quickly could you do that in the type of app you typically work with?

I'll show you how I do RAD - check the next post! Image of dashboard - with said tile added at the bottom...

Name:  db.png
Views: 441
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by szlamany; Feb 4th, 2021 at 06:03 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

My app is a rich internet application - JavaScript making JSON AJAX calls to an IIS server - back end .Net obviously.

My dashboard is filled via a single call to a stored procedure that returns a JSON string. This is what I did to make that TILE appear.

I added these 6 lines to a SELECT statement - specifying the PROMPT, DATA, STYPE, SPROC, SPROCTEXT and more important - EXTRAHTML

These are all the visual and operational requirements of that new TILE

Code:
    +  ', { "prompt": "Bxxxxxx Life", "data": "Scan Id", "style": "sproc", "sproc": "awcCheckIn_BxxxxxxxLife", "sproctext": "Check In"'
      + ', "extrahtml": "<table><tr><td><span class=''acs-span-large''>Enter 7 Digit Id</span>'
      + '<input type=''text'' class=''awc-ctrlval1 acs-edit-small-text acs-class-cardscanner acs-input-field''/></td>'
      + '<td><label class=''acs-edit-important awc-BDLInfo''></label></td>'
      + '</tr></table>"'
    That EXTRAHTML is the cool stuff. It's got CSS classes assigned that afford FUNCTIONALITY. "awc-ctrlval1" names the input so it will "bind" to the arguments of the SPROC it's going to run on the server when you click the button. And since we did ID CARD scanners before, we have a "class" for that, acs-class-cardscanner!

And we want to return some text from the SPROC giving success and what not - and want that written to another field in that EXTRAHTML - called that one awc-BDLInfo.

Again - all I did was add 6 lines of heavy "markup" language stuff to a SELECT statement in a SPROC that fills the dashboard. See below...and realize that means all users of this RIA get the results with ZERO install or update of any client code! Imagine that...

Code:
    Select '{"dbdata": true, "dbversion": 1, "dbname": "sturooms"'
    	+ ', "dbparams": { "FiscalYr": "'+Cast(@FiscalYr as varchar(100))+'"'
    					+ ',"Term": "'+@Term+'"'
    					+ ',"username": "'+@username+'" }'
    	+ ', "dbresults": [ '
    			+ IsNull(@LeaveApp,'')
    			+'{ "prompt": "Room Changes",  "data": "' + IsNull(Cast(@ChangeCnt as varchar(10)),'none')
    			+ '", "style": "sproc", "sproc": "awcRead_cdRooms", "sproctext": "Check Colleague"'
    			+ ', "extrahtml": "<br /><span class=''acs-edit-important''>Last Checked on '
    						+Convert(varchar(10),GetDate(),101)+' '+dbo.GetTime_F(Replace(Right(Convert(varchar(16),GetDate(),121),5),':',''))
    						+'</span>"'
    			+ ' }'
    	+ ', { "prompt": "Open Check-In Count", "data": "' + IsNull(Cast(@CheckInOpen as varchar(100)),'none') + '<br /><small>Total Check-In Count: ' + IsNull(Cast(@CheckIn as varchar(100)),'none') + '</small>"}'
    	+ ', { "prompt": "Open Orders", "data": "' + IsNull(Cast(@OpenCnt as varchar(10)),'none')+'", "style": "button", "opbtn": "damage", "fromwho": "* Unassigned", "fromddtype": "workorders" }'
    	+ ', { "prompt": "Show Changes", "data": "Click to Run", "style": "button", "opbtn": "display", "fromwho": "infRoomChanges", "fromddtype": "displaynames", "autorun": true }'
    	+ ', { "prompt": "Show Leave", "data": "Click to Run", "style": "button", "opbtn": "leave", "fromwho": "A:'+Cast(@SMasId as varchar(100))+'", "fromddtype": "staff", "dosave": false }'
    	+ ', { "prompt": "Quick Check In", "data": "Scan Id", "style": "button", "opbtn": "room", "fromwho": "Q:", "fromddtype": "sturooms"'--, "dosave": true
    		+ ', "extrahtml": "<table><tr><td><span class=''acs-span-large''>Enter 7 Digit Id</span><input type=''text'' class=''awcdb-CheckIdIn acs-dbfromwho acs-edit-small-text acs-class-cardscanner acs-input-field''/></td></tr></table>"'
    		+ ', "awcdata": { "CheckIdIn": "" }'--, "addtype": "' + 'asdf' + '" }'
    		+ ' }'
    	+  ', { "prompt": "Bulldog Life", "data": "Scan Id", "style": "sproc", "sproc": "awcCheckIn_xxxxxxxLife", "sproctext": "Check In"'
    		+ ', "extrahtml": "<table><tr><td><span class=''acs-span-large''>Enter 7 Digit Id</span>'
    		+ '<input type=''text'' class=''awc-ctrlval1 acs-edit-small-text acs-class-cardscanner acs-input-field''/></td>'
    		+'<td><label class=''acs-edit-important awc-BDLInfo''></label></td>'
    		+'</tr></table>"'
    		+ ' }'
    	+ Case When IsNull(@EmpLeave,'')<>'' Then ', { "prompt": "Leave", "data": "Upcoming", "extrahtml": "' + @EmpLeave + '" }' Else '' End
    	+ ']'
    	+ '}' "dbJson"
    At any rate - to sew this all up - this is the SPROC that runs when you click the button to check the student in, or use the ID CARD scanner (which clicks the button upon SCAN of a card, of course!).

It does all kinds of validation - returning all kinds of cool JSON that does all kinds of functionality - ERRORMESSAGE - UPDATE (check out the update - next parameter is an {} object of KVP's)

Code:
    Create Procedure awcCheckIn_xxxxxxxLife @ctrlval1 varchar(100), @ctrlval2 varchar(100), @ctrlval3 varchar(100)
    					, @username varchar(100), @Term varchar(100)
    As
    Set NoCount On

If Left(@ctrlval1,2)='Q:'
    Begin
    	Set @ctrlval1=Right(@ctrlval1,Len(@ctrlval1)-2)
    	If Left(@ctrlval1,1)=';'
    	Begin
    		If Len(@ctrlval1)=11 and Right(@ctrlval1,1)='?'
    		Begin
    			Set @ctrlval1=SubString(@ctrlval1,2,7)
    		End
    		Else
    		Begin
    			Select '["errormessage", "Scanned Id not in format of ";#######xx?"!", "update", {"BDLInfo": "Invalid entry!" } ]'
    			Return
    		End
    	End
    End

IF IsNumeric(@ctrlval1)=0
    Begin
    	Select '["errormessage", "Must enter a Student Id number.<br /><br />''' + @ctrlval1 + ''' is not a valid entry!", "update", {"BDLInfo": "Invalid entry!" } ]'
    	Return
    End

IF Not Exists(Select * From Master_T MA Where MA.MasId=@ctrlval1)
    Begin
    	Select '["errormessage", "' + @ctrlval1 + ' not found!", "update", {"BDLInfo": "Invalid entry!" } ]'
    	Return
    End

Begin tran
    	Insert into StudentActivity_T
    		Select @ctrlval1
    			,'Bxxxxxxxife'
    			,Convert(varchar(10),GetDate(),101)
    			,Replace(Right(Convert(varchar(16),GetDate(),121),5),':','')
    			,0,0,'',''
    			,GetDate()

Select '["update", {"ctrlval1": "", "BDLInfo": "' + MA.MasName + ' has been added." } ]'
    		From Master_T MA Where MasId=@ctrlval1

--Rollback--
    Commit
    Go
    I made this change for the client last Saturday morning - took about an hour.

That's what I call RAD!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Yes. In my opinion, RAD is composed of suitable programming tools and good design patterns, frameworks, and components. In addition, it also includes excellent business logic and algorithms. For some excellent products, it also contains new programming ideas and innovations.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I'll show you how I do RAD - check the next post! Image of dashboard - with said tile added at the bottom...

Name:  db.png
Views: 441
Size:  33.1 KB
    RAD indeed! You know what's not RAD? That interface! You guys need a designer!

Frenzied Member

To Shaggy Hiker and ChrisE:

When Niya said others cheated and lied, no one said Niya was rude, but when I said that many VB6ers have more programming knowledge than Niya, you think I am rude.

Let's stop arguing. We continue to wait for Niya's video.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 4th, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

To Shaggy Hiker and ChrisE:

When Niya said others cheated and lied, no one said Niya was rude, but when I said that many VB6ers have more programming knowledge than Niya, you think I am rude.

Let's stop arguing. We continue to wait for Niya's video.
    I think they're more pointing out that, from you, it's constant rudeness. You need look no further than the coronavirus thread for a ton of examples.

You stick your nose up at everyone without knowing anything about them. You state you have more knowledge about .NET than Niya has shown in this thread, but you've shown absolutely 0 knowledge in this thread at all. As far as any of us can see, you know nothing about .NET because you never post any code or anything other than vague insults.

Not fair to judge you by that, is it?

Try talking to people as equals and listening to what they have to say, and offering counter points, rather than insulting everyone with things like "talking to you is like talking to a baby" and maybe people won't call you rude.

Frenzied Member

Maybe you also need a business development platform, which can automatically generate interface and CRUD based on business logic!

Frenzied Member

I think they're more pointing out that, from you, it's constant rudeness. You need look no further than the coronavirus thread for a ton of examples.

You stick your nose up at everyone without knowing anything about them. You state you have more knowledge about .NET than Niya has shown in this thread, but you've shown absolutely 0 knowledge in this thread at all. As far as any of us can see, you know nothing about .NET because you never post any code or anything other than vague insults.

Not fair to judge you by that, is it?

Try talking to people as equals and listening to what they have to say, and offering counter points, rather than insulting everyone with things like "talking to you is like talking to a baby" and maybe people won't call you rude.
    When you said that you are a supporter of C grammar, and you hate all grammar of Basic language, do you think you are a fair participant in the debate? Do you think you are a tolerant and open person?
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 4th, 2021 at 09:52 PM.

Frenzied Member

You state you have more knowledge about .NET than Niya has shown in this thread, but you've shown absolutely 0 knowledge in this thread at all. As far as any of us can see, you know nothing about .NET because you never post any code or anything other than vague insults.
    Who is saying some absolute words? I have shown here that Spread technology (not a control, but a technology) can be used to more simply implement the examples listed by Niya. Isn't it knowledge? Perhaps, for you, anything you don't know is not knowledge.

Okay, let me show you some of my knowledge as a technical interviewer.

1. Those who keep saying "a programming language is better than another" are basically "amateur developers". This is a consensus in the software industry.
    From the many posts and comments of Niya, I can basically judge that Niya is an "amateur developer". He knows very little about VB6, he knows nothing about RC5/RC6, and his .NET knowledge is comparable to someone with 2-3 years of .NET development experience (although Niya said he has used .NET for many years); And , he has very little knowledge of Web development (as can be seen from his comments in another thread).

Experienced senior developers who have developed large-scale and complex applications know a truth that "in large-scale commercial software", UI and DB operations are the simplest things. Obviously, Niya's knowledge is limited to these simple development scenarios.

In other words, Niya does not have enough knowledge and experience to judge that .NET has a higher development efficiency than VB6 in desktop software development.

2. From your debate with Olaf, you talked about "store some stuff in memory". From your statement, I can feel that you don't seem to know SqliteDB and MemDB, but this knowledge is a must for an advanced web developer knowledge. So you don't seem to be an advanced web developer with a wide range of knowledge, so you don't know what Olaf is talking about.

3. Judging from the example code you posted in post #212, you don't know what Olaf's example in post #93 wants to express? Maybe Olaf should upload an instructional video or GIF file so that you can understand what he was talking about. You are not a graphics guy, nor are you a winforms guy, nor are you a math guy, you don't even know Cairo-Drawing at all, but it doesn’t prevent you from participating in the discussion and saying some arrogant words "Made me think you had done it in .NET yourself and it was a really hard task."

4. When you see the software interface of szlamany, you mentioned designer, and I mentioned "business development platform". I guess you have no experience with large-scale "business development platforms".

So, as a technical interviewer, my judgment for you is: you have very little desktop software development experience, you are not an advanced web developer, and you have no experience as a company (or team) technical leader.

Edit:
    Of course, one thing, I need to thank you. Because you posted some code in post #212, I took the time to test Olaf's example in post #93 and found that RC6 provides new versions and features.

As a technician, I use another way to express my respect for others:
    (1) I don't reject any technical solutions. I always listen to various opinions and choose the best (most suitable for myself) solution. (Everyone who knows me in the VB6 forum knows this)
    (2) When I debate technical issues with others, I always try my best to understand, study and test the techniques or examples others are talking about, and then put forward my views and opinions.

I think the above two points are the basic cultivation of a professional technician, but, obviously, the vast majority of people here do not have this basic cultivation, they will not try to understand the technology mentioned by others, and will not test the examples that others have spent time writing. What they like is just debate, and pass the boring time in the debate. This is why many people have 20 or even 30 years of programming experience, but their programming knowledge is still at a very low level.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 02:10 AM.

When you said that you are a supporter of C grammar, and you hate all grammar of Basic language, do you think you are a fair participant in the debate? Do you think you are a tolerant and open person?
    Absolutely! I stated that I hate the VB format (both VB6 and .NET and VBA, etc) and that it is personal preference. I didn't say there was anything wrong with someone else liking it.

If you can show me where I am belitting someone for liking the VB style formatting, I will apoligise profusely.

I also have no idea what your reserved position post is all about.. did you expect me to edit your post to put my reply or something? If you intended to leave me scratching my head, you have suceeded, you scoundrel.

PowerPoster

@kfcSmitty
    [Regarding the Text-Projection on a BSpline]

In total it took me about 45 minutes.

I have no interest in showing you as I coded in the IDE as this isn't meant to prove anything. I was just curious because the following line:

Made me think you had done it in .NET yourself and it was a really hard task.
    I have only the VC++ version of VStudio installed (currently not supporting any VB.NET or C# snippets).

But well, you solved one of the parts of "mid-level complexity" (in showing the graphics-output).
    Congrats (and thanks for taking up the challenge).

There's still some cosmetics to do on that part though (to be comparable to the VB6-version), as e.g.:
    - ensuring proper antialiasing
    - ensuring a checkerboard-background
    - showing only the "supporting points" of the spline (not the additional ones on the tangent)
    - different coloring for the end-points

But there's more (since this is an interactive Demo).
    One reason I brought this VB6-example, is the thread-title we have here (and Niyas opinion, that "going WPF" eases "everything").

So, what I'd like to see (in addition to the avove mentioned "missing parts"), is interaction-dynamics with regards to:
    - defining a Canvas-Container with a Checker-Background (which resizes with the Form, but leaves a small gap at the top for two normal Controls)
    - Zoom-support on the Canvas-Container
    - proper Event-Support which immediately changes the rendered output, when changes are made in TextBox and "fit to curve"-CheckBox
    - hover-support on the ControlPoints (which in VB6 change their Color on MouseOver)
    - dragging-support on the ControlPoints (which then change the Spline-Curve obviously)

I expect this second block of changes to cause a few additional struggles,
    when you try to implement this not via the "classic WinForms-model", but with WPF instead.

What I expected to see in Niyas video was especially that "switching back and forth" between the XAML-code-Window -
    and the CodeBehind-CodeWindow, to establish all the Event- and DataSource-Bindings properly.
    (instead of doing it all in a single, still small "plain Code"-Module).

So the purpose of my example was not that much "the Projection-Curve-Drawing"-part,
    but more the interaction with WPF in such a more graphics-related scenario.

With your successful curve-drawing, you still experienced "some of the pain" of course,
    because a video would have shown, that:
    - the NuGet package-manager was not helping you much (so, "point made" I guess)
    - you were not able to "remain in your IDE-Code-Window"...
    - but had to switch back and forward with google-searches until finding a "support-class" for TextProjection
    - then hanging it in, testing the original examples tha came with it, before integrating it into your own code

Side-question... during your "45minutes until the curve was showing up",
    what percentage of time do you think you were saving, due to "superior IDE-IntelliSense" in your Code-Editor?

From my experience - I assume, that even without *any* IntelliSense, you'd have finished the task in - let's say 46minutes max?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that the biggest time-delays in any project occur, when your "smooth sailing" is interrupted:
    - either due to bugs in your own code (which is why Edit&Continue is my personal "biggest RAD-feature")
    - or when you got stuck in a certain problem-area with not enough support from your FrameWork (in this case the Text-Projection)
    - ... then usually solved via pre-implemented Code from existing Classes made by other people who were more experienced in that area (in Lib- or Code-Form)

Olaf

Yes. In my opinion, RAD is composed of suitable programming tools and good design patterns, frameworks, and components. In addition, it also includes excellent business logic and algorithms. For some excellent products, it also contains new programming ideas and innovations.
    Some people roof a house - some paint interior rooms or specialize in tiling floors. I've never been afraid to build the whole house - foundation on up!

I've always made a 4GL on every hardware platform and every programming paradigm I've been in. I've got some clients that have been with me since the mid-1980's, moving from box to box and world to world. Each "experience" has lasted about a decade - PDP-11 and VAX/VMS through the 90's, VB6 through 2010 and now 18,250 lines of JavaScript exploiting the incredible world of the .Net library on an IIS server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth...mming_language

I joined this forum in 2004 so that my VB6 4GL could be the best tool ever.

Some of you might remember Mendhak - he told me way back prior to 2010, that the web world would be my next place. I couldn't imagine that - wow was he right on!

Since 2011, my 4GL is 18,000+ lines of JavaScript code. I've got all my clients using this same 4GL - it's totally business agnostic and totally over the top in what it gives the business world programmer (I've got a mature report writer ported from VB6, running in IIS - Crystal sucks - I exploit the .Net PDFSharp library for report content delivery - I could go on and on).

Lol! And funny you should mention that, because it's key to this whole thread! I made one attempt at making a 4GL in .Net. In VB6 it was quite easy - once you understand simple .FRM files and what you need to do to clone UI elements, it's almost elementary. Not much harder in .Net, but as you get more complex the standard containers get tripped up, and you have no easy view into the black box that is making the UI. I did one client install, and never returned.

Also made one foray into WPF and XAML. Had to actually hire a temp due to how verbose the markup is! The amount of "online research" required during that R&D made the ROI suck!

XAML puts too much UX markup into the UI markup for my taste. And if you are going to create controls on the fly you have to make those same "connections" behind the scenes - wow, is that complex. It's almost as bad as trying to wrestle an ASP.Net form into a place that it doesn't want to go. MS has so many "event hooks" on DOM elements - and most of them hidden, w.t.f. - talk about developer bloat!

Which is why it's so great that you mentioned designer. Just as Mendhak promised, the forced separation of Webform over Winform could allow for a completely new front end to consume the exact same JSON markup and make that TILE appear in your dashboard and up your level of visual approval, lol!

Maybe you also need a business development platform, which can automatically generate interface and CRUD based on business logic!
    Exactly - you get it!
    Last edited by szlamany; Feb 5th, 2021 at 07:50 AM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Lol! And funny you should mention that, because it's key to this whole thread! I made one attempt at making a 4GL in .Net. In VB6 it was quite easy - once you understand simple .FRM files and what you need to do to clone UI elements, it's almost elementary. Not much harder in .Net, but as you get more complex the standard containers get tripped up, and you have no easy view into the black box that is making the UI. I did one client install, and never returned.

Also made one foray into WPF and XAML. Had to actually hire a temp due to how verbose the markup is! The amount of "online research" required during that R&D made the ROI suck!
    You've posted before about your system and I have to say It's almost like you have created your own javascript framework there and considering the proliferation of angular, react, etc you really got ahead of the curve.

but surely when talking about designer kfcSmitty was talking about styles. All your front end is web-based and the generation part looks to be really nice, but the style on that screen you posted looks a little old fashioned.

Is its specific to the client? as in do you skin your front end for each client or is that just the general style?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Who is saying some absolute words? I have shown here that Spread technology (not a control, but a technology) can be used to more simply implement the examples listed by Niya. Isn't it knowledge? Perhaps, for you, anything you don't know is not knowledge.
    I meant .NET knowledge, although one post with a few lines of code also does not portray any real knowledge.

Okay, let me show you some of my knowledge as a technical interviewer.

1. Those who keep saying "a programming language is better than another" are basically "amateur developers". This is a consensus in the software industry.
    From the many posts and comments of Niya, I can basically judge that Niya is an "amateur developer". He knows very little about VB6, he knows nothing about RC5/RC6, and his .NET knowledge is comparable to someone with 2-3 years of .NET development experience (although Niya said he has used .NET for many years); And , he has very little knowledge of Web development (as can be seen from his comments in another thread).
    I would agree with the first part, however you do the same. You constantly say VB6 is better than .NET, so I guess you're calling yourself an amateur developer? I've made a point in this thread to very specifically state that everything is subjective.

2. From your debate with Olaf, you talked about "store some stuff in memory". From your statement, I can feel that you don't seem to know SqliteDB and MemDB, but this knowledge is a must for an advanced web developer knowledge. So you don't seem to be an advanced web developer with a wide range of knowledge, so you don't know what Olaf is talking about.
    I use both SQLite and custom in-memory databases every day in my job. However, not in production. The only in-memory database we use in production is memcache. The others are for development and testing, since I work in an MS SQL world. Maybe you need to stop being so ignorant and read into someone making vague statements. Again, you don't know anyone, but make an ignorant statement based off one line.

3. Judging from the example code you posted in post #212, you don't know what Olaf's example in post #93 wants to express? Maybe Olaf should upload an instructional video or GIF file so that you can understand what he was talking about. You are not a graphics guy, nor are you a winforms guy, nor are you a math guy, you don't even know Cairo-Drawing at all, but it doesn’t prevent you from participating in the discussion and saying some arrogant words "Made me think you had done it in .NET yourself and it was a really hard task."
    Imagine that: someone posts code with no reference to how cairo drawing works at all, with a picture of an end result and says "recreate this in .NET" -- so someone recreates it in .NET. I recreated what I saw, in 45 minutes. If you want someone to get into the nitty gritty of cairo drawing, maybe the code to RC6 can be posted publicly and someone who is an expert in that field can weigh in.

4. When you see the software interface of szlamany, you mentioned designer, and I mentioned "business development platform". I guess you have no experience with large-scale "business development platforms".
    Graphic designer. The design was ugly. Again, you make sweeping, insulting statmements, without knowing anything about me, or even understanding what I was saying.

As a technician, I use another way to express my respect for others:
    (1) I don't reject any technical solutions. I always listen to various opinions and choose the best (most suitable for myself) solution. (Everyone who knows me in the VB6 forum knows this)
    (2) When I debate technical issues with others, I always try my best to understand, study and test the techniques or examples others are talking about, and then put forward my views and opinions.

I think the above two points are the basic cultivation of a professional technician, but, obviously, the vast majority of people here do not have this basic cultivation, they will not try to understand the technology mentioned by others, and will not test the examples that others have spent time writing. What they like is just debate, and pass the boring time in the debate. This is why many people have 20 or even 30 years of programming experience, but their programming knowledge is still at a very low level.
    You do not and I find it funny you feel this way. Literally every time I have seen someone contradict you or suggest an alternative, you have attempted to belittle them. Again, your discourse in chit chat and the coronavirus thread are more than enough to show everyone how you handle a dicussion with opposing ideas.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Feb 5th, 2021 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Is its specific to the client? as in do you skin your front end for each client or is that just the general style?
    I'm using jQuery - heavy use of accordions and tab controls and extensive customization to the standard SlickGrid (the best grid ever, ever, ever - puts an MS flexgrid to shame). With jQuery you pick a theme and all the colors that happen are part of that theme, so you get a consistent look to active vs not active or hover over, all that jazz. That theme was picked a decade ago.

Take for example that REFRESH button - the two ARROWS running around in a circle - that's a standard jQuery button/tab/UI icon.

https://www.petefreitag.com/cheatsheets/jqueryui-icons/

With all that said, I am limited to some extend in what I can do visually - my overall CSS is for the ENTIRE content.

I got tons of pre-written documentation on how screens work.

My clients are database users that don't like to even touch a mouse. Loading medical claims, loading tax payments, running a weekly payroll, tracking work orders at a college dorm.

But those basic colors are set in stone due to jQuery and how buttons gets styled all part of how jQuery does it.

I do mobile detection and what not - so that people on phones can use the system as required. Students in those dorm rooms are creating work orders on the phone...
    Last edited by szlamany; Feb 5th, 2021 at 08:49 AM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast