Thread: VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

Hello, new to VBForums and had a question about using the VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard. When trying to build a setup program it says vba6.dll is missing.

Searched the system disk and the file does exist: "C:\program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\vba6.dll"

Do I need to move the vba6.dll file to some other location so that the Package and Deployment Wizard can find it?

Thanks.

Frenzied Member

Re: VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

You need to supply a little more information. For example, what is the OS version and at what stage does the message appear? Installing VB6 in the "Program Files" directory is a bit odd, unless you are using an older Windows version. I personally install VB98 directly off the root to shorten the file path and avoid access issues. Below is a brief description of the steps.

1. Choose the .vbp file that you want to create an installation for.
    2. Select Package.
    3. Select Standard package 1.
    4. Select Standard Setup Package.
    5. Select folder where package will be created.
    6. Select the files you want to include with your setup. This is where most problems occur. Do not select files that you know already exist on the target platform.
    7. Select Single Cab.
    8. Enter a title for your installation program.
    9. Select where in the start menu your program is to appear. This can be a little confusing on modern Windows systems that have modified the use of the start menu.
    10. Modify the installation paths to suit your requirements.
    11. You will then be asked if any of the installed files need to be shared. The answer is normally no.
    12. Finish will create the files necessary for installation.
    Those files include:
    setup.exe
    SETUP.LST
    Installfilename.CAB
    "setup.exe" is the executable file that will install the program.
    SETUP.LST is a list of functions that will be executed to complete the install.
    *.cab is a cab file containing all the files necessary for installation. By default these will include:
    VB6STKIT.DLL
    COMCAT.DLL
    STDOLE2.TLB
    ASYCFILT.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL
    OLEAUT32.DLL
    msvbvm60.dll
    If a more recent version of these files already exists on the target, they will not be installed.

"Setup.exe" executes the install in accordance with "Setup.lst". If there are special conditions to evaluate, this is where it should occur. You can also edit "Setup.lst" to modify any setup issues. Be aware that some virus checking programs will complain, and must be instructed to allow the installation.

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

There is a box to uncheck to eliminate excess baggage:

COMCAT.DLL
    STDOLE2.TLB
    ASYCFILT.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL
    OLEAUT32.DLL
    msvbvm60.dll

None of those have been needed for decades. Better versions are already on the system and updated by Windows Update as part of Windows. It has been that way since at least XP SP 2.

If you include them Windows will put the proper versions back anyway in self-defense.

Yes, very old system - Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3, and thank you for the very detailed steps in using the Deployment Wizard.

Looking into converting the old VB6 code to VB.NET but from what I’ve read it can be quite an uphill battle when there are User Controls involved and there are many. I’ve installed Visual Studio 2022 but haven’t really gotten very far with it, so hoping for a short term fix in getting a Setup / Install ‘disk’ built using the Package & Deployment Wizard.

I’ve built dependency files for all of the User Controls and Class Modules used by the VB6 project but as the wizard progresses it comes to a screen saying it’s missing or can’t find vba6.dll.

As I mentioned, the vba6.dll file does indeed exist so bit confused as to why it can’t be found. The wizard allows you to continue without locating missing files but I wasn't sure if that would be a wise choice. It's a large VB project and it would be difficult to fully test all it's functionality and I'd hate to create ticking time-bomb hidden somewhere within the code that might reference the missing vba6.dll.

You stated that its unusual to have files installed in the Program Files directory, could that be the problem? If the Deployment wizard is looking elsewhere for vba6.dll, how would I know where to copy the vba6.dll file so it could be found?

Thanks.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dev101 View Post
    You stated that its unusual to have files installed in the Program Files directory, could that be the problem? If the Deployment wizard is looking elsewhere for vba6.dll, how would I know where to copy the vba6.dll file so it could be found?

Thanks.
    The only reason I questioned that was because VB6 is a 32 bit program, and on modern 64 bit systems, Program Files (x86) is used for 32 bit programs, and both these of these directories have restricted access. On XP this is not an issue, as it does not support UAC (User Access Control).

vba6.dll is a Visual Basic for Applications support file. What VB6 uses it for is unknown to me. Files that the wizard attempts to add to the installation are normally stored in one of the Windows sub directories or the installation directory itself. That is why I asked where in the Wizard the error occurred. Dilettante is correct in stating that the default files are already installed on modern systems. Aside from those files, the wizard will examine your program for support files that you have used. I personally have never seen vba6.dll used in a VB6 program, but that does not mean that it cannot exist. Normal ".DLL" files do not have to be registered, as Windows will look in the current directory and then the windows directories. If the wizard is attempting to add vba6.dll to the CAB file, try copying it to the "\Windows\System32" directory. There are some files such as MSADODC.OCX or ws2_32.dll that should not be included in the installation file, as they require a more complex installation.

J.A. Coutts

Looking into converting the old VB6 code to VB.NET but from what I’ve read it can be quite an uphill battle when there are User Controls involved and there are many. I’ve installed Visual Studio 2022 but haven’t really gotten very far with it
    I just want to touch on this. Your first instinct might be to do a line-by-line translation of the source code. I don't know if this is what you're doing but if so, do not do this. I've migrated several projects of varying sizes over the years from VB6 to VB.Net and in every single case I got the best results doing a full rewrite focusing only on replicating functionality and not source code.

In many cases you will end up with a program only a fraction of the size of the original program in terms of lines of code. In my case, I saw enormous gains from not having to rely on the massive amounts of boilerplate necessary to use the Win32 API. You almost never have to directly use the Win32 API in a .Net program. A lot of Win32 functionality is packaged very neatly into .Net. No need to import anything or write a bunch of Win32 boilerplate that bloats up your source code.

A good example that may come up often is UTF-8 handling. If you wanted to convert a String to UTF-8 in VB6 you need a bunch of Win32 boilerplate:-
    Code:
    ''' WinApi function that maps a UTF-16 (wide character) string to a new character string
    Private Declare Function WideCharToMultiByte Lib "kernel32" ( _
        ByVal CodePage As Long, _
        ByVal dwFlags As Long, _
        ByVal lpWideCharStr As Long, _
        ByVal cchWideChar As Long, _
        ByVal lpMultiByteStr As Long, _
        ByVal cbMultiByte As Long, _
        ByVal lpDefaultChar As Long, _
        ByVal lpUsedDefaultChar As Long) As Long

' CodePage constant for UTF-8
    Private Const CP_UTF8 = 65001

''' Return byte array with VBA "Unicode" string encoded in UTF-8
    Public Function Utf8BytesFromString(strInput As String) As Byte()
        Dim nBytes As Long
        Dim abBuffer() As Byte
        ' Catch empty or null input string
        Utf8BytesFromString = vbNullString
        If Len(strInput) < 1 Then Exit Function
        ' Get length in bytes *including* terminating null
        nBytes = WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, 0&, ByVal StrPtr(strInput), -1, 0&, 0&, 0&, 0&)
        ' We don't want the terminating null in our byte array, so ask for `nBytes-1` bytes
        ReDim abBuffer(nBytes - 2)  ' NB ReDim with one less byte than you need
        nBytes = WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, 0&, ByVal StrPtr(strInput), -1, ByVal VarPtr(abBuffer(0)), nBytes - 1, 0&, 0&)
        Utf8BytesFromString = abBuffer
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim s As String
        Dim utf8() As Byte

s = "Hello World!"

utf8 = Utf8BytesFromString(s)

'Open this file using Notepad. It will
        'confirm whether it saved to UTF-8 correctly
        Open "d:\Utf8 Text.txt" For Binary As #1
            Put #1, , utf8
        Close #1

End Sub
    The above code converts a String from Windows' internal UTF-16 format to UTF8 and saves it to a text file. If you're lucky, you will find that somebody already wrote what you need but a lot of the time, you will have to write all that Win32 boilerplate yourself while also testing it to make sure it's bug-free and if it's not, you could spend hours tracking down off-by-one errors and the like. All of that could be reduced to this in VB.Net:-
    Code:
        Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            'Open this file using Notepad. It will
            'confirm whether it saved to UTF-8 correctly
            IO.File.WriteAllBytes("d:\Utf8 Text2.txt",
                                  System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("Hello world!"))
        End Sub
    It was reduced to a single line. No need to bug-fix anything or hunt down Win32 constants and structure definitions.

This is why it is so important to write programs from scratch when migrating them from VB6 to VB.Net because you will find a lot of situations like that where you have a bunch of boilerplate that could be completely eliminated just by using functionality from the framework.
    Last edited by Niya; May 21st, 2022 at 04:52 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

MSADODC.OCX must be deployed, it is not included in Windows. PDW knows what to do with it, though I'm not sure why anyone would use it any more except for very simple quick and dirty programs. Each instance requires a separate database connection, and that's just the beginning of its limitations.

On the other hand ws2_32.dll is part of Windows and should never be deployed. I'm not sure why it was even mentioned above.

Er, vba6.dll is "Visual Basic for Applications Development Environment" and I can't think of any reason why you would try to deploy that or use it from your programs at all. Somebody went off the deep end there.

Frenzied Member

Sorry Niya, but I have to disagree with your visualization of VB.net as being smaller and more efficient. In order for VB.net code to work, the target system must have the correct version of .NET framework installed, which is a huge resource that includes much more than is required to accomplish the given task. Converting UTF16 wide characters to UTF8 only requires a small function that can be used over and over again. Because I work a lot with byte arrays, I generally copy this particular function to a general purpose module in many of my programs. Not all API functions are this straight forward.

And converting strings to byte arrays to store in a file is not necessary at all. Visual Basic does this automatically as long as the file is opened in the correct mode.

J.A. Coutts

Not all that sure why the need for the vba6.dll, actually have yet to find out exactly where it’s being referenced. I’m learning VB6 as I go here so things are moving rather slow. Most of the code for the project is present except for one User Controls that interfaces with a USB connected rotary switch.

While I’ve yet to get very far with converting the code, I’d hoped that some of the tools out there would be helpful. Again new to all of this so I don’t know if it’s all just a wishful thinking on my part in believing migration tools are going to get things close to running or if I’m just setting myself up for a huge disappointment.

Are there any 3rd party Setup programs that would prove more helpful then the VB6 Deployment Wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by couttsj View Post
    Sorry Niya, but I have to disagree with your visualization of VB.net as being smaller and more efficient. In order for VB.net code to work, the target system must have the correct version of .NET framework installed, which is a huge resource that includes much more than is required to accomplish the given task. Converting UTF16 wide characters to UTF8 only requires a small function that can be used over and over again. Because I work a lot with byte arrays, I generally copy this particular function to a general purpose module in many of my programs. Not all API functions are this straight forward.

And converting strings to byte arrays to store in a file is not necessary at all. Visual Basic does this automatically as long as the file is opened in the correct mode.

J.A. Coutts
    It's not really a matter of agree or disagree. I'm telling him what my actual experience was replicating functionality and programs to VB.Net from VB6. I've re-written a lot of my VB6 stuff in VB.Net over many years and the VB.Net versions always took less effort. Like this is not an opinion, it's my actual experience I got from porting functionality from VB6 to VB.Net.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

Dev101;

The fact that VBA6.DLL exists in the VB98 directory suggests that VB6 uses it somehow. To test if it is necessary, I renamed it, and VB6 would not load. So it is necessary in it's default location.

What I would suggest is to program a simple "HELLO WORLD" program, compile it, and build a setup.
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Print "HELLO WORLD!"
    End Sub
    Save the program in a new directory of your choice (VB98\Test\?).

When compiling, use "Compile to Native Code" and Optimize for Fast Code", and save the executable as "Test.exe".

When building the installation file, select the newly created Test.vbp and accept all the defaults.
    What you should end up with is something similar to:
    --------------------------------------------
    Directory of C:\VB98\Test\Package

2022-05-22 02:12 PM <DIR> .
    2022-05-22 02:12 PM <DIR> ..
    2004-02-22 11:00 PM 139,776 setup.exe
    2022-05-22 02:12 PM 3,543 SETUP.LST
    2022-05-22 02:12 PM <DIR> Support
    2022-05-22 02:12 PM 1,393,451 Test.CAB
    3 File(s) 1,536,770 bytes
    --------------------------------------------
    Let us know how it works out for you.

J.A. Coutts

Hi, I know you said Deployment Wizard, but is there a chance to move to inno setup for example? the plugin i have works really great and is way easier to install in several windows version.
    Just take it as an idea only
    best regards
    Federico

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by federico07 View Post
    Hi, I know you said Deployment Wizard, but is there a chance to move to inno setup for example? the plugin i have works really great and is way easier to install in several windows version.
    Just take it as an idea only
    best regards
    Federico
    what is the plugin? is it plugin for inno setup?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    It's not really a matter of agree or disagree. I'm telling him what my actual experience was replicating functionality and programs to VB.Net from VB6. I've re-written a lot of my VB6 stuff in VB.Net over many years and the VB.Net versions always took less effort. Like this is not an opinion, it's my actual experience I got from porting functionality from VB6 to VB.Net.
    And it's a fact you have fewer lines of code because you're relying on massive frameworks that often need to be installed. You may have less source code you write yourself, but it's executing and having dependencies on far, far more. This has it's positives, but has negatives as well.

couttsj

Followed your instructions and made the Hello World Test project and then created a setup disk, all worked without error. Below is a listing of the package directory:

Code:

Volume in drive C is WINXP C
     Volume Serial Number is 5C14-C8E5

Directory of C:\Test\Package

05/24/2022  04:09 AM    <DIR>          .
    05/24/2022  04:09 AM    <DIR>          ..
    02/23/2004  12:00 AM           139,776 setup.exe
    05/24/2022  04:06 AM             3,523 SETUP.LST
    05/24/2022  04:08 AM    <DIR>          Support
    05/24/2022  04:06 AM         1,342,178 Test.CAB
                   4 File(s)      1,485,477 bytes
                   3 Dir(s)  37,680,394,240 bytes free
    Went back creating another setup disk for the project I'm working on making sure to take the exact same steps with the Deployment Wizard but unfortunately it still complained that vba6.dll is missing.

federico07

When troubleshooting the issue with the vba6.dll I ran across quite a few references to inno setup, many saying pretty much the same as you in that it provides a better experience when installing on other version of Windows. I downloaded inno-setup-5-5-8.exe but that's about as far as I got, couldn't get things to work so I gave up and went back to VB's version.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    And it's a fact you have fewer lines of code because you're relying on massive frameworks that often need to be installed. You may have less source code you write yourself, but it's executing and having dependencies on far, far more. This has it's positives, but has negatives as well.
    In theory, all of this sounds scary but in actual practice, none of it matters one bit. The size of the framework accounts for 0.000005% the size of a modern Windows installation and .Net handles dependencies so well that you never ever have to thing about them.

You just write your program, compile it or publish it, copy the output of the compile/publish to the target computer and run the program. Nothing more.

Point is, the things you think you have to worry about, you very quickly realize that they don't matter.

Frenzied Member

couttsj

Followed your instructions and made the Hello World Test project and then created a setup disk, all worked without error. Below is a listing of the package directory:

Went back creating another setup disk for the project I'm working on making sure to take the exact same steps with the Deployment Wizard but unfortunately it still complained that vba6.dll is missing.
    What this tells us is that the wizard is trying to add VBA6.DLL to the installation setup, but is having trouble locating it. That is why I suggested copying it to the \Windows\System32\ directory. You have the same access to the support file information that the wizard has. You can search your program files for any reference to VBA6.DLL or just VBA6 itself. VBA6.DLL is not normally used as a support file for VB6 programs, and that is why it is located in the VB98 directory and not where most of the other library files are located.

J.A. Coutts

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    In theory, all of this sounds scary but in actual practice, none of it matters one bit. The size of the framework accounts for 0.000005% the size of a modern Windows installation and .Net handles dependencies so well that you never ever have to thing about them.

You just write your program, compile it or publish it, copy the output of the compile/publish to the target computer and run the program. Nothing more.

Point is, the things you think you have to worry about, you very quickly realize that they don't matter.
    I am not sure where you get your numbers from, but on my machine Version 4.0.30319 of .NET Framework occupies 191,713,876 bytes of disk space. And there are 9 other versions of my machine. On modern computers, there are very few support files required for a VB6 program that are not by default already on the disk as part of Windows. If we eliminate the bootstrap files that dilettante has pointed out are no longer required, the largest setup file list on my computer is 1,506,096 bytes, of which 458,752 bytes is the program executable file itself.

The higher the level of a language, the less the amount of code required to accomplish the task. But the downside is usually less flexibility. Assembler is very fast, efficient and flexible, but requires a considerable amount of time to develop. Your experience with .NET is exactly opposite from my own experience. Most of my programs are utility programs that utilize a lot of API calls. When .NET was introduced, I wanted to remain current, so I attempted to convert my VB6 programs to .NET. I was only successful with about half of them, so I abandoned the effort and never looked back.

J.A. Coutts

Quote Originally Posted by couttsj View Post
    I am not sure where you get your numbers from, but on my machine Version 4.0.30319 of .NET Framework occupies 191,713,876 bytes of disk space. And there are 9 other versions of my machine. On modern computers, there are very few support files required for a VB6 program that are not by default already on the disk as part of Windows. If we eliminate the bootstrap files that dilettante has pointed out are no longer required, the largest setup file list on my computer is 1,506,096 bytes, of which 458,752 bytes is the program executable file itself.

The higher the level of a language, the less the amount of code required to accomplish the task. But the downside is usually less flexibility. Assembler is very fast, efficient and flexible, but requires a considerable amount of time to develop. Your experience with .NET is exactly opposite from my own experience. Most of my programs are utility programs that utilize a lot of API calls. When .NET was introduced, I wanted to remain current, so I attempted to convert my VB6 programs to .NET. I was only successful with about half of them, so I abandoned the effort and never looked back.

J.A. Coutts
    Well I don't really want to get into this too much today. I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with .Net. My guess would be that you didn't take the time to really dig into .Net and as a result you may have tried to write VB.Net programs the way you would write it in VB6. This would definitely result in a poor experience. I've been there but I stuck it out until learned to do things the .Net way.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. You're clearly intelligent and knowledgeable enough to know what you want and need. All I'll say is this, my experience with .Net was and still to this day is always far more pleasant than my experience with VB6. I have never once came across situation that made me think I would be better off using VB6 and I could never go back to using VB6 for any serious work. As such, I will always encourage people who are thinking about leaving VB6 for .Net to do so because in my opinion based on my own experiences with both VB6 and .Net, they would lose absolutely nothing in making the transition. I gained so much lost absolutely nothing when I transitioned to .Net from VB6.

The things you mentioned like framework size, dependency issues and whatnot in practice has never once caused me any sleepless nights, not once ever. I have never once experienced a problem in the field that made me think "damn I wish the Framework was smaller". It never mattered ever. All I've ever done is write my program or utility, copy the tiny bin/release folder produced by the compiler and deploy it at the client by simply copying this tiny folder and running the EXE. It's always been as easy as that for me with no dependency issues, concerns about framework size or any of that. Write, compile, copy from dev, copy to client, run. Never had to think about anything outside of these steps. No OCX/DLL to register and no need for package and deploy installers, nothing. But like I said, this is my experience. To each his own.
    Last edited by Niya; May 24th, 2022 at 01:24 PM.

i use inno 5.4.3 https://files.jrsoftware.org/is/5/ there is the old version. finnaly i found the correct one

and the addin
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/innotoolbarvb6/.

scripts works fine and also added few fonts and some litle tweaks
    BR. Federico

Hope this helps
    Last edited by federico07; May 25th, 2022 at 06:33 PM.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by federico07 View Post
    i use inno 5.4.3 https://files.jrsoftware.org/is/5/ there is the old version. finnaly i found the correct one

and the addin
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/innotoolbarvb6/.

scripts works fine and also added few fonts and some litle tweaks
    BR. Federico

Hope this helps
    thank you. we will try to install the add-in.

federico07

Thanks for the inno links, much appreciated.

Still searching for the reference to vba6.dll while using VB's Deployment Wizard - who knows perhaps trying another approach might help in locating the culprit, at this point I'm willing to try just about anything.

PowerPoster

If you examine the project's VBP file in notepad, is there a line that references vba6.dll? There shouldn't be, but if there is, that is why PDW is trying to add it into the installer.

i have a copy of vba6.dll and i was able to load into inno
    or add it mannually like this
    Source: "VBA6.DLL"; DestDir: {sys}; Flags: 32bit allowunsafefiles; Check: FileNotFound(ExpandConstant('{sys}\VBA6.DLL'));

maybe you can install it.