Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast

Thread: TwinBasic

Re: TwinBasic

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Really? You sure about that? Count me the number of ways you can concatenate strings in VB.NET ....

-tg
    The + and & operators are not the same, they cannot be used interchangeably. You cannot add two numbers using the & operator. Having two operators that are aliases for each other is just insane and unnecessary bloat.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Isn't part of the problem is that there is no 'standard' for the Basic language? C/C++ are ISO standard(s), Fortran has it's standard. But what's Basic? I could 'invent' a new language and call it say zBasic and it could look quite different to existing versions of 'Basic' but still be called 'Basic'. I first came across this issue when I wrote Basic applications for mini-computers in the 1970's/80' and each version was different in some way. I don't program in Basic any more, but isn't it time that 'Basic' became a standard?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Isn't part of the problem is that there is no 'standard' for the Basic language? C/C++ are ISO standard(s), Fortran has it's standard. But what's Basic? I could 'invent' a new language and call it say zBasic and it could look quite different to existing versions of 'Basic' but still be called 'Basic'. I first came across this issue when I wrote Basic applications for mini-computers in the 1970's/80' and each version was different in some way. I don't program in Basic any more, but isn't it time that 'Basic' became a standard?
    I am really for and against that idea, I proposed it earlier, my suggestion was a ECMA-style group that decided on the changes, direction for the language. However, given the characters here and the levels of opposition to almost anything proposed it might be a slanging match.

However, with Wayne seemingly running the show as an intelligent, benign and benevolent dictator (no slur or criticism intended) we are probably in a good place, ie. he listens, he knows his stuff but ultimately we don't have much of a choice. It works.

With a properly constituted group - it requires recognition to work, I mean if we constituted a group, no-one has to listen, anyone could still do what they wanted. The "BASIC advisory board" might be the best we could come up with a voting method to decide things. That is roughly what we are creating here.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    However, with Wayne seemingly running the show as an intelligent, benign and benevolent dictator (no slur or criticism intended) we are probably in a good place, ie. he listens, he knows his stuff but ultimately we don't have much of a choice. It works.
    I think Uncle Bert has got it right here. We can all have our say, we can even vote, but Wayne decides.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Lets not forget the most important quality of benevolent dictator.....the ability to say no. This would keep it from going off the rails into all kinds of wild and crazy territory. Trying to please everybody never works.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Forgive me as I might be wrong here, but is it not true that anybody can submit something to be part of an ISO standard? If this is true then it's rather interesting that no one has done it for BASIC as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Forgive me as I might be wrong here, but is it not true that anybody can submit something to be part of an ISO standard? If this is true then it's rather interesting that no one has done it for BASIC as of yet.
    Yes - it needs to be done via your National Member. See https://isoupdate.com/resources/6-st...-iso-standard/

Hold the front page! Stop the Presses!!

There is an ANSI/ISO Basic standard - INCITS/ISO/IEC 10279-1991 (R2005)
    https://www.iso.org/standard/18321.html
    https://webstore.ansi.org/standards/...102791991r2005

However I don't know how useful these are due to their age. Perhaps those currently involved in Basic development might like to contact the ISO and find out what's happening re revision to the basic standard and how to contribute to its active development.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

There is an ANSI/ISO Basic standard - INCITS/ISO/IEC 10279-1991 (R2005)
    https://www.iso.org/standard/18321.html
    Wow. This is the first I've seen of that. You always hear about C standards but never about this. Very interesting indeed.

I remember the standardization process for C++. It was about as contentious, though much drier, than the discussion around TwinBasic. Following that came the revision of the C standard in 1999. You need an active process to keep those standards evolving.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

or revolving in our case.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

The Basic working group is WG8 under SC22 (C is WG14, C++ is WG21). Apparently, it is no longer active. See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/

If anyone wants to pursue Basic standardisation, then I suggest in the first instance they contact the Chair of SC22 (which covers all computer languages) for information http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/docs/contacts

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update January 2, 2022

Highlights include a feature to generate missing implementations, minor improvements to the Reference List UX, and some spirited debates.

Well based on the current state of the votes, it seems the language will remain unpolluted by the addition of aliases for the << and >> operators. So this issue has been resolved.

I know not everyone wanted this and I know a few people here have grown to hate me during this course of this conversation but I personally enjoyed the discussion. It was very enlightening. I just wish people wouldn't get so emotional. I also want you guys to know that despite your hatred for me, I hold no animosity in my heart towards any of you. I have no hate for baka or Eduardo. I respect you both but it doesn't mean I will just keel over and just agree with everything you say. I apologize if during the course of this I went too far but I do not apologize for my opinions and hopefully we can find a way to peacefully co-exist on these boards.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update January 9, 2022

Highlights include error messages that now match VBx, a twinBASIC Discord server, and a teaser about twinBASIC's potential as a VBA replacement.

Frenzied Member

I would like to see lambda functions as I did in M2000 Interpreter:
    https://georgekarras.blogspot.com/20...-in-m2000.html

Each "lambda" function is an object which have two parts: The function and the list of closures.
    We can define closures at the definition stage for lambda, and that will be new or copies of variables of same scope at the definition.

Also tuple: a=(1,2,3,4) like a=Array(1,2,3,4). The empty tuple: a=(,). One item tuple: a=(1,). We can use #functions like Print a#sum().
    Also cons()
    a=(1,2,3,4,5)
    b=Cons(a, (6,7,8), a)
    Print b

And car() and cdr()
    a=((1,2), (3,4), (5, 6))
    b=Car(a)
    Print Car(b) ' 1
    Print Car(Car(a)) ' 1
    Print Cdr(Car(Cdr(Cdr(a)))) ' 6

Have you ever tried Common Lisp?

You have all of these requested features there unlike any BASIC language known to mankind :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

So, CAR and CDR is property of LISP?
    I think BASIC must go higher, including these which I propose in previous reply.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    You have all of these requested features there unlike any BASIC language known to mankind :-))
    The term "prior art" is throw around lot at GitHub. There is such prior art in VB.Net for lambdas.

Addicted Member

As someone who's been wishing for a vb6 upgrade/replacement for well over a decade (not far off two actually) I really wish discussions about desired new features would just go away.
    Until twinbasic can open all existing vb6 projects it's no more interesting to someone invested in vb6 than any other language.
    I'm contributing to twinbasic, albeit only financially, but I'd prefer if people would leave Wayne to get on with the great job he's doing.
    Once compatibility is achieved that's the time to start adding all the new goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by vbrad View Post
    As someone who's been wishing for a vb6 upgrade/replacement for well over a decade (not far off two actually) I really wish discussions about desired new features would just go away.
    Until twinbasic can open all existing vb6 projects it's no more interesting to someone invested in vb6 than any other language.
    I'm contributing to twinbasic, albeit only financially, but I'd prefer if people would leave Wayne to get on with the great job he's doing.
    Once compatibility is achieved that's the time to start adding all the new goodies.
    Wayne already ready made it very clear that new features must be considered up front. If it's put off for later, it may be far more difficult to implement them. Here is the post. More specifically he said:-
    Quote Originally Posted by WaynePhillipsEA View Post
    Many will argue that you can add new features later, but I can assure you: it's just not that easy! The codebase for a compiler like twinBASIC is massive and complex; if you don't plan for features up-front at the start, the work to add them later is MUCH more involved (to the point where some new features might not even be possible without re-writing significant parts of the compiler). With tB, a huge amount of effort has gone into designing an efficient and extensible compiler that has the capability to offer any of the features of more modern languages... if and when necessary.
    There is no getting away from this.

Wayne already ready made it very clear that new features must be considered up front. If it's put off for later, it may be far more difficult to implement them. Here is the post. More specifically he said:-

There is no getting away from this.
    As someone who previously has been involved with OS and compiler development, I absolutely agree with this. Time spent on the design is time well spent and will almost certainly be recouped during the coding phase. Major changes to the design once significant coding has been done often requires large amounts of code to be thrown away and re-written - delaying the project beyond the small extra design time that would have been spent.The more complex the project (like TB), the more the need for up-front in-depth design before much production coding is undertaken. Not doing this is, IMO, a recipe for disaster and often helps to explain why some projects get so far and then no further and peter-out.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update January 16,2022

Highlights include the CompileIf attribute and IsObject function for generics, an experimental package manager, and 10 Guiding Principles of twinBASIC.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update January 23,2022

Highlights include the introduction of TWINPACKs and the TWINSERV package manager, IntelliSense improvements, and easier reporting of twinBASIC bugs.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update January 30,2022

Highlights include a sample project demonstrating the WaynesGrid control and a timeline update for the release of (some) native Win32 controls.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update February 6,2022

Highlights include the milestone release of WinForms functionality, control inheritance, ReadOnly class properties, and twinPACK updating documentation.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update February 13,2022

Highlights include a new Settings filter bar and WinForms Controls Package updates included by default with future twinBASIC extension updates.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update February 20,2022

Highlights include checkbox-style list boxes, native Winforms progress bar and image controls, and an option to align controls to grid in the form designer.

The current twinBASIC version is 0.14.28
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Feb 20th, 2022 at 03:48 PM.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update February 27,2022

Highlights include multiple form designer improvements and a *BIG* announcement about the future of the twinBASIC IDE.

The current twinBASIC version is 0.14.36

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update March 6, 2022

Highlights include a sneak peek at the new twinBASIC IDE (currently under development) and a brief comparison between RAD Basic and twinBASIC.

Fanatic Member

A sneak peek at the new twinBASIC IDE...

New twinBASIC IDE

A simpler and more VB6-like IDE - available soon

twinBASIC programming just gets better and better
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Mar 13th, 2022 at 07:02 AM.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update March 13,2022

Highlights include another sneak peek of the upcoming twinBASIC IDE and a special announcement regarding Access DevCon Vienna 2022.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update March 20,2022

Highlights include a cryptic update on the new IDE's release date and a possible twinBASIC solution to the oft-delayed Access modern browser control.

And the new IDE? "Not long to wait now, hang on in there 😁"

I thought about posting this on the TwinBASIC GitHub but due to it's very informal and imprecise nature, I think here is the better place to post it.

A video just came across my recommended videos in YouTube:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvFG8J7SUDE

Now the video itself is not what I'm trying to direct attention to. It's a very light hearted video meant perhaps to elicit some laughs. What really caught my attention was the comments. I spent about 30 minutes just reading the comments. The comments were mostly centered on JavaScript of course but there were also but there were a number of comments and mini-discussions on how it compares to other languages.

It reminded me of this thread and a couple over on GitHub, particularly our fierce debates on how to attract outsiders and how people would feel about specific features and what should be included and what shouldn't. Reading the comment section of that video was like waking the pulse of the body of expectations modern programmers have for programming languages. I think it would be valuable just to casually browse the comments it to see what modern programmers like and what they don't like. I found it enlightening. There were some things that that even surprised me.

Fanatic Member

New twinBASIC IDE...

New twinBASIC IDE demo

Not long to wait now

twinBASIC programming just gets better and better
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Mar 25th, 2022 at 05:24 AM.

Fanatic Member

The expected release date of the new twinBASIC IDE is Tuesday 29th March

New twinBASIC IDE demo

Cool.

Fanatic Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC update March 27,2022

Highlights include a release date for the twinBASIC IDE and plans to open-source the IDE's source code.

The twinBASIC IDE is scheduled for release on Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Name:  image-109.png
Views: 12236
Size:  119.7 KB
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Mar 28th, 2022 at 12:07 PM.

Whoa that was fast. How does Wayne do these things so quickly. I thought an IDE would have been at least a year away.

Addicted Member

Whoa that was fast. How does Wayne do these things so quickly. I thought an IDE would have been at least a year away.
    It's incredible! It really gives you hope that he has the ability to create the genuine successor for vb6.

Fanatic Member

For the early birds... BETA 1 of the twinBASIC IDE is now available...

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast