Thread: Problem with VB6 ComboBox with style "DropDown List"

Question Problem with VB6 ComboBox with style "DropDown List"

I have tested my application developed with VB6 on Windows 11 for which we use a manifest to improve the presentation.

VB6 ComboBox with style "DropDown List" visually display nothing when they have the focus.
    VB6 ComboBox with style "DropDown Combo" display well when they have focus.

Name:  NoFocus with Open.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  18.9 KB

I noticed that if I open the executable by selecting it in Windows Explorer and starting it with an Enter, the focus is displayed.

Name:  Focus with Enter.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  20.0 KB

I've done some research and I can't find the difference between running an executable with a double-click or with a click and an Enter.

I thought my problem was only with Windows 11, but I noticed in my tests that I also have the problem in Windows 10.

When I run my executable without the manifest, everything works fine.

Thanks

Re: Problem with VB6 ComboBox with style "DropDown List"

Waooo really weird.
    To have the same effect, rectangle focus on some controls, I had to use this Krool code.

Does anyone have any idea how I can trace events to understand the differences in app behavior?
    An app?

PowerPoster

I'm not really sure what you are talking about here but when you set a combo to drop down list nothing will be displayed in the text box portion unless you set the index to one of the items in the list. If you click on the drop down and select an item from the list that should be displayed.

If you are just talking about no text in the field at launch and you have not added code to set the listindex on that control then that is normal behavior

"DropDown List" style is completely supplanted by "DropDown Combo" style so I *never* actually use it in any of my applications as it first looks ugly and second does not allow quick find on list items, at least not intuitively for the end-users.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    "DropDown List" style is completely supplanted by "DropDown Combo" style so I *never* actually use it in any of my applications as it first looks ugly and second does not allow quick find on list items, at least not intuitively for the end-users.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    "DropDown List" with Sorted = True and make .AddItem with specify Index to circumvent "sorting". Result is then that you have a combo where you can type multiple chars for quick search.

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    "DropDown List" with Sorted = True and make .AddItem with specify Index to circumvent "sorting". Result is then that you have a combo where you can type multiple chars for quick search.
    Sure, but I've seen no end-user which uses this feature (I personally use it all the time) while in "DropDown Combo" style with sorted list all the end-users can "guess" that you can actually type in the textbox part.

cheers,
    </wqw>