Thread: How to remove a section in the middle of a video?

Fanatic Member

How to remove a section in the middle of a video?

It is very easy to remove an unwanted part of a video in the beginning or the end of a video.
    For example the Photos App has a Trim feature that does this.
    I have done that quite a number of times.

But, if I need to remove an unwanted segment in the middle of a video, it is so difficult.
    I ran a google search and found this:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...tos-windows-10
    In the middle of that webpage, there is a section titled: "How to trim multiple parts of a video using Photos"

I am trying to do exactly that.
    I have split a long video into 4 parts.
    Then I have selected the first part, then I have been trying to trim that first section.

However, that is exactly where the problem lies:
    The slidebars move so fast!!!
    When I try to move the slidebars to mark the beginning and end of the good segment that I want to keep, the slidebars move much too fast.
    I try to move my mouse a tiny little bit, but then the slidebar moves a whole lot!!!
    If I try to move the slidebar by letting it "play" the video until it reaches the desired point, then it takes a lot of time.
    Using the one-frame move forward or back is even more time consuming as NUMEROUS frames must be covered before reaching the desired point.

Is there anything that I am missing?
    Is there an easy way of doing it?
    I just need to remove a bad part from the MIDDLE of a video.

Also, there are some other problems (aside from the main problem that I explained above) with using Photos for this purpose:

1- I couldn't find a way to mute Photos while doing this.
    I had to mute my whole computer, which means that I can not listen to some music (for example on youtube) while doing this.
    Is there a way to mute Photos?

2- I couldn't find a "File Select" or "Browse for a File" in there.
    I was lucky to find my file in there because I had just downloaded it from youtube.
    But, if the file had not been downloaded (for example if I already had that on my hard disk) then it would not be in there for me to select.

There is a "Folder select" or "Add Folder" (or whatever its name is), to add a folder to the folders the contents of which it shows when you open Photos and choose the "Select" option.
    But, there is no "File select" in order to open a file without adding its folder to the list
    Or maybe there is a "File select" that I couldn't find
    Is there one?

3- I couldn't find any way of "discarding a project"
    When I open photos and click on "Select", it shows the last project that I had worked on (even though I had not saved it)
    Now, how do I "discard" that project?
    Lets say I want to start from scratch. There should be a way to discard that project and start from scratch.
    So, how do I discard and start from scratch?

Please help.
    Thanks.

Re: How to remove a section in the middle of a video?

Use something else more suited to editing video. Since I'm on Linux I use OpenShot for editing. It has a zoom feature that allows me to step through the video at different rates so that I can get the exact point I want. Look for something similar. Sounds like Photos is decent, but is pretty basic. You need something of a higher quality.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Use something else more suited to editing video. Since I'm on Linux I use OpenShot for editing. It has a zoom feature that allows me to step through the video at different rates so that I can get the exact point I want. Look for something similar. Sounds like Photos is decent, but is pretty basic. You need something of a higher quality.

-tg
    I was away from this issue for a while and just had a chance to return to it.

Thanks for the response.
    Use something else more suited to editing video
    Since I'm on Linux I use OpenShot for editing
    So, for Windows, what video editing software do you recommend?

I know that openshot exists for Windows as well.
    But, before downloading and installing it, I just want to make sure if it is the best option (as far as free softwares are concerned).
    I believe you when you say that openshot is really good for Linux.
    But, you have not tried it for Windows.
    So, just maybe (who knows, maybe) there is another free video editor for Windows that is better than openshot.
    It is always good to explore multiple options and seek advice about them before picking one.

Maybe yourself or anybody else can please advise on this.
    Any comments on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    Ilia
    Last edited by IliaPreston; Oct 29th, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

windows movie maker is still available as a free download. It's designed to split and combine movie parts.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell