Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Apple switch from iOS to Android?

Will Apple switch from iOS to Android?

Interesting article that makes you understand the future lying ahead for Android may be more than bright. Dilettante could be right, after all.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-steve-wozniak
    Since I discovered Delphi and Lazarus, VB has become history to me.

Re: Will Apple switch from iOS to Android?

It wouldn't be Apple... it would be easy to use.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Seems like an unusual comment for Wozniak, but maybe he was trying for shock value.

I don't see Apple doing this at all. Unless they integrated the AppStore into android, and then blocked the AppMarket. Apple is so stingy with what apps they allow into the market, I dont see them taking on androids open App Market with the types of apps that are available.

PowerPoster

Hard to say. People seem to be making similar statements in other contexts too:

Analysis: Satya Nadella must kill Windows Phone and fork Android

I have never used a Windows phone before. Looking at the numbers, Windows phone has a low user base compared to iOS or Android (we all knew this). So I could see Microsoft adopting Android instead of continuing with their failing brand. Apple has always packaged their hardware and software together... I dont see them opening it to the open source world of android.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    I have never used a Windows phone before. Looking at the numbers, Windows phone has a low user base compared to iOS or Android (we all knew this). So I could see Microsoft adopting Android instead of continuing with their failing brand. Apple has always packaged their hardware and software together... I dont see them opening it to the open source world of android.
    What if their sales crumble? Don't you believe Apple could come to the conclusion that, if they want to continue to sell their hardware, they have to adopt different software, i.e. a different OS?

Apple? They didn't take that stategy in the past. The Apple OS suffered greatly in the 90s. They DID scrap the kernel and rebuild on a Unix kernel, but it was still an Apple branded OS. They have never seriously tried to sell to the world, they sell to their fan base. Even when it dropped to 4% of the market, they didn't abandon their closed ecosystem approach.

Frankly, I think they'll probably do what they did last time: Dig up Steve Jobs and put him back in charge. I realize it will be a little harder this time, but it's worth a shot.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Apple switching to Android ? When pigs fly lol.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Apple switching to Android ? When pigs fly lol.
    When pigs fly... or when Apple's sales tumble so far that they understand Android is their last chance not to become marginal in the tablet and smartphone world.

They were marginal in the desktop market and it didn't stop them. I don't think they care about dominating. I think they are happy to play in their little world.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

From the article linked in post #1:

Woz, who co-founded Apple, seemed to be making the remarks in response to the fact that Apple might not be able to produce the next killer product that everyone expects, and that unless it can continue to innovate, it could go the way of BlackBerry, which was knocked out of the running far faster than anyone would’ve expected.
    I just don't know the context here. Maybe he was being badgered with Wall Street's jitters on the topic, which seem to be about the lack of a new fat cash cow now that sales are flat for iStuff. If iStuff sales have leveled it is probably due to market saturation, and moving to Android won't make any difference there.

BlackBerry had its own issues.

Yes, the iOS market is saturated, but there are the diehard iOS fans who will continue to buy each and every model that comes out every year regardless of the small number of improvements. Myself on the other hand (im sure there are plenty of people like me too) who love iOS and dislike Android who will continue to buy iPhones but only when their plan is up and they can get one for cheap, or their phone breaks.

So yes the market is saturated, But Apple has large dedicated fan based who will continue to buy apple products.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    BlackBerry had its own issues.
    Before I had a smartphone, I swore I hated iOS because of is stupid look and was going to buy a blackberry. Never bought a blackberry...

PowerPoster

My point was that the dregs on Wall Street who profiteer on the backs of the masses want what they call "growth" which seems to mean buying more and more crap that you do not need.

Replacement-level purchasing doesn't satisfy their greed, so they hope for a new product like a $600 iButtScratcher.

My point was that the dregs on Wall Street who profiteer on the backs of the masses want what they call "growth" which seems to mean buying more and more crap that you do not need.

Replacement-level purchasing doesn't satisfy their greed, so they hope for a new product like a $600 iButtScratcher.
    Well if they really want iOS to take more share of the market they should start coming out with new features before Android does. When I did have an android, I loved that I could easily toggle Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, etc. When i moved to iOS I couldnt believe there as not a control panel. Then Apple finally came out with it and claimed it to be Revolutionary. No... its not... you are late to the game and everyone has been waiting.

I have actually considered switching back to Android because some of the feature differences, but I like my iPhone too much. I think its the quality of apps. Plus I was a little turned off to android because the particular model i bought (HTC Aria) was not a very well supported phone. It got updates last among all of AT&T Android phones. I don't want that to happen again.

Stranger things have happened but I don't think that Apple will embrace Android for basically the reasons that Shaggy suggested. There was a time way back when that Apple did create a clone program and other companies were allowed to create Macs. That didn't last long. Apple just don't like not being in control of every little thing. As Shaggy says, they stuck with their own hardware and software on the desktop even though they were getting caned and were a hair's breadth from going under so I'm not sure that they would do differently now in the mobile space.

One the main reasons, if not the main reason, that Android has overtaken iOS is its open nature. If Apple wanted to go toe to toe with Google on that front then they would more likely adopt a more open model with iOS that switch to Android. If they were prepared to go that way then it probably already would have happened. They are not prepared to give up control on their own platform so I can't see them adopting another platform that offers the same lack of control. They want iOS to work the way they want it to and that's why they keep such tight control over the apps. Even if they created their own shiny skin for Android, they still couldn't make the apps work the way they want so it just wouldn;t be as shiny as they demand.

Microsoft faces a similar problem in the mobile space. The day may come when Microsoft overtakes Apple in phone and tablet sales because of their dominance on the desktop. That's exactly what Windows 8 was aimed at starting and, while they may have made some missteps in that regard, they are looking to rectify those and move forward. Despite what some people might think, the "Metro" interface really does work on touchscreen devices and there is definitely something to be said for having a consistent experience across all your devices. If the masses agree, which they may well in time, then Microsoft will overtake Apple at some point.

The problem for Microsoft is that they have adopted a model more like Apple than Google when it comes to apps on devices. As such, while they may overtake Apple, catching up to Google may prove more difficult. Microsoft is counting on their current desktop dominance to count for much in that fight but exactly how relevant that continues to be could be the deciding factor.

At last we find common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    At last we find common ground.
    That was post 85,000 for me. You must feel very honoured dilettante.

The problem for Microsoft is that they have adopted a model more like Apple than Google when it comes to apps on devices. As such, while they may overtake Apple, catching up to Google may prove more difficult.
    I couldn't agree more. This is, in my opinion, the most serious mistake Microsoft made when they decided to adopt the "Apple-Store-like approach". Windows users are not accustomed to buying software from on-line stores only. They expect their device (be it a PC or a tablet) to be able to install software from a USB stick.

Quote Originally Posted by esposito View Post
    I couldn't agree more. This is, in my opinion, the most serious mistake Microsoft made when they decided to adopt the "Apple-Store-like approach". Windows users are not accustomed to buying software from on-line stores only. They expect their device (be it a PC or a tablet) to be able to install software from a USB stick.
    I don't think that that's necessarily an issue because iOS users weren't used to that before they started doing it either. As a user, it's actually easier to install apps from a store than it is from a flash drive. The issue is for developers and the ease with which they can make their apps available. If you're happy to create a developer account at a store then it's no big deal but that can be an issue for your average hobbyist. I think that Microsoft may be reducing the price to create a Windows Store account but given how many developers there are who just do it for the enjoyment and don't expect to make money from their apps, having to pay to make them available to users is an issue.

I don't think that that's necessarily an issue because iOS users weren't used to that before they started doing it either. As a user, it's actually easier to install apps from a store than it is from a flash drive. The issue is for developers and the ease with which they can make their apps available. If you're happy to create a developer account at a store then it's no big deal but that can be an issue for your average hobbyist. I think that Microsoft may be reducing the price to create a Windows Store account but given how many developers there are who just do it for the enjoyment and don't expect to make money from their apps, having to pay to make them available to users is an issue.
    I think you should not compare iOS users with Windows users: they are completely different beasts. What Windows users expect from Microsoft is that on their machines they must be able to install what they want and when they want. Buying from an on-line store is a big deal to the average Windows user because most of them would like to install their apps on all the machines they have (sometimes, even illegally!) and move their apps from a device to another with a simple copy and paste operation. iOS and OSX users work at a completely different level and may certainly be comfortable with on-line stores, but they represent a niche market which has very little in common with the huge Windows market.

and move their apps from a device to another with a simple copy and paste operation.
    Technically the iOS appstore removes that process entirely by automatically downloading any app you download to all of your devices after you buy them, so you dont have to copy-paste to your other devices.

Technically the iOS appstore removes that process entirely by automatically downloading any app you download to all of your devices after you buy them, so you dont have to copy-paste to your other devices.
    This is true if you install apps purchased from the store, but if you want to copy and paste a file whatsoever using your USB stick, just forget it. Android, on the contrary, is almost as flexible as Windows. Of course, when I say Windows I mean classic Windows, since Windows RT is as limited as iOS when it comes to installing apps.

This is true if you install apps purchased from the store, but if you want to copy and paste a file whatsoever using your USB stick, just forget it. Android, on the contrary, is almost as flexible as Windows. Of course, when I say Windows I mean classic Windows, since Windows RT is as limited as iOS when it comes to installing apps.
    Being able to copy files from my phone hasnt really been much of a problem for me. Originally coming from an Android with a MicroSD card to an iPhone without was kind of annoying but i got used to it real quick. Dropbox app helps. Plus If i used the iCloud apps such as Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Etc, I could sync all my files to all my devices I use including my MacBook. I dont use it, Because i dont find myself typing a lot of documents on my phone or iPad.

But I dont totally disagree. It can be a pain in the butt to not see the file structure and actually interact with the files.

It can be a pain in the butt to not see the file structure and actually interact with the files.
    I cannot imagine living without being able to navigate the filesystem. I still open all my documents(text files, pictures, movies etc.) via Windows Explorer. I only use shortcuts and pinning for heavily used apps like Visual Studio and Firefox.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I think you should not compare iOS users with Windows users: they are completely different beasts.
    Oh, of course you're right. Obviously there is something different in the DNA and noone who has ever used Windows uses iOS. Obviously only those who previously used OSX now use iOS and of course you could never install software on OSX from a flash drive.

Honestly, I dont interact with files much on my phone. I mostly use my phone for talking, texting, emailing (mostly reading from my phone), browsing social networks, and playing games. I do not interact with actual files very often. I have a File Explorer app on my iPhone where I can connect to my NAS devices and to my "cloud" storage such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive, etc. But still, I never interact with documents on my phone, when I do, I am usually reading them from an email.

Oh, of course you're right. Obviously there is something different in the DNA and noone who has ever used Windows uses iOS. Obviously only those who previously used OSX now use iOS and of course you could never install software on OSX from a flash drive.
    Sarcasm detected?

Sarcasm detected?
    I would certainly hope so. My sister has a Windows PC and also an iPad and very recently swapped an iPhone for a Windows Phone. My boss has been using Windows for I don't know how long and also has an iPad and recently replaced an iPhone with a Windows Phone. To say that Windows users and iOS users are different animals is a bit of a joke because they are exactly the same people in many cases.

I would certainly hope so. My sister has a Windows PC and also an iPad and very recently swapped an iPhone for a Windows Phone. My boss has been using Windows for I don't know how long and also has an iPad and recently replaced an iPhone with a Windows Phone. To say that Windows users and iOS users are different animals is a bit of a joke because they are exactly the same people in many cases.
    Ok good. I agree. I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook, and iPod in my truck. But I still go back to using windows when I need to. I also considered switching from my iPhone to the Nokia... Lumix? I forget the name. But it looked really nice. The only turn off was the lack of Apps. Majority of Apps come out on iPhone and Android first. They maybe they will make it to Windows Mobile.

Ok good. I agree. I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook, and iPod in my truck. But I still go back to using windows when I need to. I also considered switching from my iPhone to the Nokia... Lumix? I forget the name. But it looked really nice. The only turn off was the lack of Apps. Majority of Apps come out on iPhone and Android first. They maybe they will make it to Windows Mobile.
    I can vouch for the Nokia Lumia range being good phones, or at least the Lumia 925 that I have is. My sister switched not really because she preferred Windows Phone to iOS but because she had inherited an old iPhone from her daughter and then inherited a more recent Windows Phone, although it was WP7 rather then WP8. My boss also chose to switch from an iPhone to a Lumia 920 because he decided that he liked the Windows Phone interface more than iOS.

Windows Phone does still lack some features that iOS and Android have but, for me at least, they are not deal-breakers and I expect them to arrive in future. Others may choose not to use a Windows Phone until those features arrive and it may be too late for them to switch by that stage if they are too indoctrinated in the use of a particular OS.

There's also no doubt that Windows Phone lags behind its two main rivals in terms of availability of apps. Again, it's not a deal-breaker for me as there's nothing that I want to do but can't with Windows Phone. That may well not be the case for other users though. The number of apps available for Windows Phone is growing fairly rapidly. Microsoft has announced certain milestones in terms of numbers and some from the other camps have scoffed but that's a bit disingenuous. They had to pass those same milestones to get where they are today so the fact the number of Windows Phone apps will continue to grow.

The real issue is whether new "big" apps will be made available for Windows Phone quickly enough. If someone creates the "next big thing" then reaching the greatest number of users dictates probably creating an Android version first, although I wonder whether compatibility is more of an issue there. Many new apps do still seem to be made for iOS first. Whether or not it is financially advantageous to create a Windows Phone version depends on the number of Windows Phones out there, not the number of apps. Until Microsoft's market share grows significantly more, most developers are not going look at devoting resources to a Windows Phone version of their app until the Android and iOS version are at least out in the wild and, even then, it may take some time before the they believe they'd see a reasonable ROI to do it at all. The bigger Microsoft's market share, the smaller the lag will be between versions for other platforms being released and that for Windows Phone but the day that they are released at the same time is probably some way off.

I can vouch for the Nokia Lumia range being good phones, or at least the Lumia 925 that I have is. My sister switched not really because she preferred Windows Phone to iOS but because she had inherited an old iPhone from her daughter and then inherited a more recent Windows Phone, although it was WP7 rather then WP8. My boss also chose to switch from an iPhone to a Lumia 920 because he decided that he liked the Windows Phone interface more than iOS.

Windows Phone does still lack some features that iOS and Android have but, for me at least, they are not deal-breakers and I expect them to arrive in future. Others may choose not to use a Windows Phone until those features arrive and it may be too late for them to switch by that stage if they are too indoctrinated in the use of a particular OS.

There's also no doubt that Windows Phone lags behind its two main rivals in terms of availability of apps. Again, it's not a deal-breaker for me as there's nothing that I want to do but can't with Windows Phone. That may well not be the case for other users though. The number of apps available for Windows Phone is growing fairly rapidly. Microsoft has announced certain milestones in terms of numbers and some from the other camps have scoffed but that's a bit disingenuous. They had to pass those same milestones to get where they are today so the fact the number of Windows Phone apps will continue to grow.

The real issue is whether new "big" apps will be made available for Windows Phone quickly enough. If someone creates the "next big thing" then reaching the greatest number of users dictates probably creating an Android version first, although I wonder whether compatibility is more of an issue there. Many new apps do still seem to be made for iOS first. Whether or not it is financially advantageous to create a Windows Phone version depends on the number of Windows Phones out there, not the number of apps. Until Microsoft's market share grows significantly more, most developers are not going look at devoting resources to a Windows Phone version of their app until the Android and iOS version are at least out in the wild and, even then, it may take some time before the they believe they'd see a reasonable ROI to do it at all. The bigger Microsoft's market share, the smaller the lag will be between versions for other platforms being released and that for Windows Phone but the day that they are released at the same time is probably some way off.

I have to say the one thing I really like about Windows Phone is the live tiles that display information about the certain app. Its something I was hoping iOS would take on, But it hasn't. The only semi-live tile that iOS has is the Clock app and the icon for the app is an dial clock that actually moves. Not useful at all but its what I am looking for for the future of iOS. Of course, im sure Apple will eventually come out with it and claim it as revolutionary...

I have yet to own a Windows Phone and I dont know anyone who has one I could play around with. I am not at a point in my contract to buy a new Phone (I don't think... I will be checking as soon as I post this). But perhaps I will switch to a Windows Phone just to see how it is. Worst case I wont like it and will be stuck with it for two years until I get an upgrade again and I will get the latest and greatest revolutionized iphone.

I haven't looked into the Windows Phone market... Is it like Apple where you need to pay a $100 developer fee to develop and you are still subject to approval or denial?

I haven't looked into the Windows Phone market... Is it like Apple where you need to pay a $100 developer fee to develop and you are still subject to approval or denial?
    Last I looked, it was $99 and yes, you have to have your app approved. I believe that there was talk of reducing that fee though, but I couldn't say whether that has happened at this stage. I believe that they have also, or will soon, combine the registration for the Windows Phone Store and the Windows Store. I am yet to complete my first Windows Phone app so I haven't actually got to the point of registering yet.

Last I looked, it was $99 and yes, you have to have your app approved. I believe that there was talk of reducing that fee though, but I couldn't say whether that has happened at this stage. I believe that they have also, or will soon, combine the registration for the Windows Phone Store and the Windows Store. I am yet to complete my first Windows Phone app so I haven't actually got to the point of registering yet.
    Hmm... I will look into that. I have tried developing on my iPhone and I just was not able to get a hang of Objective-C. I tried using PhoneGap but I didnt like the way it actually worked on the phone.

I'm afraid you are missing the most important point here. I myself own an iPad, an iMac and in my family there are three Android tablets. I even develop and sell software for OSX. Nevertheless, I don't define myself as an Apple fan. The real Mac and iPad user despises Windows and would never use it on a daily basis, as I do. I have a couple of friends at work who are genuine Apple fans and if you pronounce the word "Windows" in their presence, they will just frown. I have no problems recognizing a tablet is extremely handy when it comes to surfing the Web or sending e-mail messages, but if you use it for your daily office work, you probably like masochism.

I have been an Apple product user since I started college about 4 years ago. Yet I don't despise windows at all. I have Windows dual booted on my mac and use it from time to time. More recently then ever.

In my opinion, those diehard apple fans who are repulsed by windows are immature and cant trouble shoot to save their life.

I'm afraid you are missing the most important point here. I myself own an iPad, an iMac and in my family there are three Android tablets. I even develop and sell software for OSX. Nevertheless, I don't define myself as an Apple fan. The real Mac and iPad user despises Windows and would never use it on a daily basis, as I do. I have a couple of friends at work who are genuine Apple fans and if you pronounce the word "Windows" in their presence, they will just frown. I have no problems recognizing a tablet is extremely handy when it comes to surfing the Web or sending e-mail messages, but if you use it for your daily office work, you probably like masochism.
    Does that mean that the "real" Windows user despises Apple and iAnthing? What you are talking about is a core minority of fanboys, which exist on both sides of this debate. The percentage is greater among OSX users than iOS users but, even then, I don't believe that those are the "real" OSX users. The "real" users of anything are those who use it because it does what they need it to do and would change to using something else if it did it better, even if grudgingly in some cases. I know two women who are graphic designers. They both use Macs because that has historically been the better platform on which to do their job. They both have iPhones and one of them an iPad yet neither despise Windows or Microsoft. The people you talk about are pathetic and delude themselves into believing that they are better people because the company that they have chosen to support makes what they consider to be better products. Sadly, they are not. The only thing that will make them better people is being better people. Not being a fanboy would be a good step in that direction.

Does that mean that the "real" Windows user despises Apple and iAnthing? What you are talking about is a core minority of fanboys, which exist on both sides of this debate. The percentage is greater among OSX users than iOS users but, even then, I don't believe that those are the "real" OSX users. The "real" users of anything are those who use it because it does what they need it to do and would change to using something else if it did it better, even if grudgingly in some cases. I know two women who are graphic designers. They both use Macs because that has historically been the better platform on which to do their job. They both have iPhones and one of them an iPad yet neither despise Windows or Microsoft. The people you talk about are pathetic and delude themselves into believing that they are better people because the company that they have chosen to support makes what they consider to be better products. Sadly, they are not. The only thing that will make them better people is being better people. Not being a fanboy would be a good step in that direction.
    I agree with you, but those extremist fanboys do exist and cannot be ignored. And I'm afraid they represent the majority of iOS and OSX users.

I agree with you, but those extremist fanboys do exist and cannot be ignored. And I'm afraid they represent the majority of iOS and OSX users.
    Rubbish. OSX, maybe but the majority of iOS users don't use OSX. More iOS users would have a PC than a Mac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast