Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 347481828384858687 LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,360 of 3456

Thread: What song are you listening to right now?

PowerPoster

Re: What song are you listening to right now?

Randolph Scott was in many ways the Arnold Schwarzenegger of his day. Back then action films were mostly either crime dramas or the westerns which rose in popularity in the 1930s and dominated action films for the next 30 to 40 years.

This 1973 nostalgia song mentioning Scott and several contemporaries bemoans the state of film after several moral code restrictions were removed.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Noah Gunderson, David.

This song sounds so simple but that guitar picking rhythm is frickin' demonic to play.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Rhythm. Since I'm a rhythm player myself, i think this is the epitome of simple and demonic to play.Everyone can play it, few correctly. I was able to 10 years ago but now I have to re train my fingers (basically the pick wrist).

ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Yeah, I learned that one. One of the big mistakes is to use hammer ons and pull offs like Angus does in the video. You need to pick it or you can't get the sharp sound right.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Actually I was referring to Mal but , yeah you are correct.

Oh, I've never tried to learn Malcolms part. Should have done really. He was always the unsung star (wrote most of the songs).

PowerPoster

I remember music class in elementary school, where seasonally we'd get German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Swahili, etc. songs to learn related to festival times and holidays.

We almost always learned them in both English and the original language, though the latter was mostly by rote with... clumsy results.

Do kids today get any of that exposure, or at least pre-lockdown?

King of sapila

I can speak for Greece.
    A kid listen to this may result in ridicule. I know it's annoying but that is the truth.
    IF this is a classroom lesson, maybe but I would much prefer classical music than this type.
    And to be honest I don't think nowadays a kid everywhere in the world would listen to this at it's own accord, probably not even in Germany.

Young enough kids sing darn near anything. It's only when they get older that they start being embarrassed by...well, by anything.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Hey @sapator, what are some of your favourite Greek songs/bands? I'm woefully ignorant on Greek music even though I live a few blocks away from the official "Greek Town" of my city. "Yanni Liv at the Acropolis" got huge here many years ago, but it wasn't really my cup of ouzo. Other than that, I can only think of the Bouzouki music scene from Monty Python's cheese shop sketch. Can you be so kind as to post your favourite Greek tunes for us to enjoy?

PowerPoster

This is the only one that comes to mind, but it's an instrumental.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Next door's Turkish music reflects the economic reality of the country, seriously though, I like a bit of Turkish goth.

https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Hey @sapator, what are some of your favourite Greek songs/bands? I'm woefully ignorant on Greek music even though I live a few blocks away from the official "Greek Town" of my city. "Yanni Liv at the Acropolis" got huge here many years ago, but it wasn't really my cup of ouzo. Other than that, I can only think of the Bouzouki music scene from Monty Python's cheese shop sketch. Can you be so kind as to post your favourite Greek tunes for us to enjoy?
    Fortunately or unfortunately I only even listened to 2 people - bands from Greece. Yannis Miliokas and Lukianos Kilaidonis and some sporadic songs + some of old Greek rebetes . I detest bouzouki except 2-3 songs, it's like a fly passing by you all the time going vzzz vzzzzz.
    Also my music taste is 95% metal but...But, I had no problems going to clubs listening to beats etc and I say had because now, I would probably have issues, if I go, that I try hard not to.
    So yeah, I'm the wrong person to ask but you have to go back a few decades to finds something descent as todays Greek music is a piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Also my music taste is 95% metal but...
    Ah, so you like brass bands. A bit of Sousa, perhaps?

you have to go back a few decades to finds something descent as todays music is a piece of crap.
    used too many words ... removed the extraneous one...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

but you have to go back a few decades to finds something descent as todays Greek music is a piece of crap.
    Well, some folks might miss the point of this, but wouldn't that be putting it down either way?

PowerPoster

My computer is doing something stupid lately where there's no sound until I reboot, but I haven't had the time to figure it out (and I can't reboot right now because I'm in the middle of a compile). But I will listen to @dil and @ber's posts tomorrow.

Fortunately or unfortunately I only even listened to 2 people - bands from Greece. Yannis Miliokas and Lukianos Kilaidonis
    I'll check them out tomorrow too - I'malways looking for something new.

[QUOTE=sapator;5588250]some of old Greek rebetes{/qupte]

I did a quick search of "rebetes" and does that mean "numbers" in the musical sense? If so, I'd love to be introduced to the old Greek "numbers" that you like if you care to share them.

I detest bouzouki except 2-3 songs, it's like a fly passing by you all the time going vzzz vzzzzz.
    LOL! I haven'theard enough bouzouki to hate it, and part of me kinda likes it (probably because I hear it at a restaurant when I'm in a "certain mood"), but I'd actually like to know what those 2/3 songs are that you like (again if you don't mind sharing).

Also my music taste is 95% metal
    My musical taste is probably about 5% metal, but I try to listen to as much music as I can so here 's a challenge: If you wanted to theoretically convert someone who is a 5% metal liker to a greater than 5% metal liker, what song would you choose? To help your task, the "someone" was born in the mid-1970s in North America.

So yeah, I'm the wrong person to ask but you have to go back a few decades to finds something descent as todays Greek music is a piece of crap.
    The popular stuff around here is crap too, but there's some good underground/indie stuff - is there really no good new Greek music?!

King of sapila

So you are open minded. I tried hard to be but the latest crap closed my mind again, lol.
    Ye rebetes are not "numbers" they are people that made music in old Greek joints with a low profile and at a certain period in time their music came out and copied.
    I can't recall the song names, just tunes but one I do recall is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOIRYSawgA (this waring is not for you so don't worry) , warning it may or may not contain profanity, click at your own risk!
    I don't wish to convert anyone to metal, it's hard music to digest so I would probably instruct you to early Judas Priest (pre 82) and some more hard rock like so it does not scare you right from the top. So the bible is Back in Black of course.

Btw I haven't heard any real good Greek music for ages. There might be some underground stuff but all I can hear lately is trap music stuff and the usual 1 note 1 rhythm dance stuff.
    Again, I WAS open minded but not anymore. I'm trying to gather around my own band and play my own stuff so I'm more focused on that rather than experiment with new Greek music.

P.S. What the heck is Sousa? Keyser Soze with a different accent?
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Dec 7th, 2022 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Altered a word that was about circumventing the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    My musical taste is probably about 5% metal, but I try to listen to as much music as I can so here 's a challenge: If you wanted to theoretically convert someone who is a 5% metal liker to a greater than 5% metal liker, what song would you choose? To help your task, the "someone" was born in the mid-1970s in North America.
    First off: Metal is not Rock is not Metal.
    Confusing? Yes.
    Problem: The Definition of "Metal" has changed through time.
    e.g. --> A lot of people think Motörhead "Heavy Metal".
    The thing is: Lemmy (RIP) always described Motörhead as a Rock'N Roll Band, and introduced it that way at each concert.
    (Motörhead being one of the rare Bands never using an Intro).
    "Hello [INSERT NAME OF CITY/COUNTRY], We are Motörhead, and we play Rock'N Roll. 1..2..3..4.."

Next Problem: Expose you directly to the "hard" stuff (and hope for the best), or "easing" you into it?

For me personally it was the first. In late 1986 my cousin introduced me to "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden, and in that moment i was a goner.
    OTOH, i heard from other people being "eased" into it.

Bottom Line: either way you get introduced to it, you have to want to explore it open minded ("Oh, i like this..... nahh, not really")

That said: I'd never suggest "Cannibal Corpse" or "Boltthrower" to someone who "Hey, I don't listen to Heavy Metal. Got any recommendation for me?"

As for you: You being Canadian, i'd suggest "Rush" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(band)), if you don't already know it

Just for you to get an idea about different styles:
    My personal favorites are:
    Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, early Metallica, WASP, Saxon, Queensryche, Mötley Crüe, AC/DC, Motörhead, Accept, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Nightwish, Within Temptation, early Helloween, Metal Church, Rush

But i also like specific songs from other genres (Hip Hop, Reggea, Pop, House, Dancepop etc.) but there only specific songs, not the genre by itself.
    I mean "Jimmy Cliffs - I can see clearly now" is still an evergreen....
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

King of sapila

Yeah, except Motorhead where (I can't believe I'm writing "where") not R'N'R . They might have said that but it was Hard Rock at least (if somewone where on 1 of their gigs would understand ). Same goes with other bands like AC/DC , they said R'N'R and later they would sometimes say R'N'R with anabolics but in reality most of the older ones where a mixture of hard rock and heavy blues.
    What we call metal has expanded a lot from the beginning, aka Sabbath and have taken different genres like Thrash,New wave,Speed,Melodic,Death,Power etc .
    Of course I won't have an issue when someone says Motorhead are R'N'R but what pisses me of is when pop bands would proclaim themself as Rock just because they use a guitar. You are pop, get over it!

Anyhow some of my favorites are:
    AC/DC,Judas Priest,Motor,Manowar,Helloween,Accept,Running Wild,Saxon,Iron Maiden,Raven,Annihilator,Grave Digger etc Also some Prodigy tunes ain't bad, if I have to go beyond metal-HR or some stones.

Well, the reason i started to listen to "other" music (and actually liking the odd song, i mean.... come on... 2PAC's "California Love" is a brilliant song),
    and let me tell you, that I've been called a "traitor to the cause" more than once because of it, is, well.....
    .... i found out the hard way, that it's next to impossible to flirt with a pretty girl (especially ones who don't like Hard'N Heavy) while headbanging your brain out through your ears....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sousa reference was a joke. I felt you might not get it, as it's a particular type of music that may be pretty much unique to a very narrow time in the US.

John Philip Sousa wrote a series of the better known marching band music back around the turn of the last century. Being marches, it's usually played with a lot of brass instruments (heavy metal), including the Sousaphone, which is a variation on the tuba used for marching, as it wraps around the musician and allows them to better balance and carry a heavy instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The Sousa reference was a joke. I felt you might not get it, as it's a particular type of music that may be pretty much unique to a very narrow time in the US.

John Philip Sousa wrote a series of the better known marching band music back around the turn of the last century. Being marches, it's usually played with a lot of brass instruments (heavy metal), including the Sousaphone, which is a variation on the tuba used for marching, as it wraps around the musician and allows them to better balance and carry a heavy instrument.
    So, in short: Watch a College-Football-Game, and you'll see/hear "Sousa"-Music?

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Well, the reason i started to listen to "other" music (and actually liking the odd song, i mean.... come on... 2PAC's "California Love" is a brilliant song),
    and let me tell you, that I've been called a "traitor to the cause" more than once because of it, is, well.....
    .... i found out the hard way, that it's next to impossible to flirt with a pretty girl (especially ones who don't like Hard'N Heavy) while headbanging your brain out through your ears....

OH, there is no problem with girls, you will never pass me as a metal type and I never brought a discussion about heavy music when there was no interest.
    What was my tradeoff was going to regular clubs but music does not really matter there, so I don't live the "metal way" sort to speak...Until I get to the studio...
    Also calling traitor and such must have been in the beginning when there was punk and rockers. I guess, because I haven't lived that. No one will call a metal head that also listen to 2PAC a traitor these days. At least in Greece.
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 7th, 2022 at 10:32 AM.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

OH, I got the joke and made a counter joke. You did not put a smiley emoji so I did not put a counter smiley emoji.
    Don't expect to be treated differently than you treat people........
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 7th, 2022 at 10:33 AM.

I'll listen to almost any genre ... there's some jazz that I like... some rap (mostly old school stuff -- 2Pac's California Love is one of my favorites) rock, hard rock, metal, death, soundtracks... I'm all over the place. Pandora & Spotify have given up trying to recommend things to me.

Most of the time I'm just looking for something that I can work to and enjoy. Depends on my exact mood. Right now I need something bouncy... so I might put on the rap play list - I find rap is good for hooks and consistent tempos which are good at keeping me going.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Recently......

Me: "Alexa, play 'Last Christmas' by Wham"
    Alexa: "Okay, i'm playing 'Last.... ?!?!? THE HELL I WILL!"

PowerPoster

Songs can have a "bouncy" beat but a very different tone overall.

They can also have an completely unrelated story told in the official video:

PowerPoster

This is really a salt-water tune but it has always been pretty popular here on the Great Lakes, especially in the old merchant marine towns.

As far as I can tell this song was recorded about 6 times. Most jukeboxes carry the original, though this rendition is pretty close to it.

PowerPoster

Sorry guys, I'm in the middle of some nuclear idiocy here at work, but I will try to get back and respond as soon as I can. I appreciate all the responses and I hope to give them my full attention!!

PowerPoster

Some of the cast members in this music video are famous for other things:

King of sapila

Hah, good one! Great move , underestimated tho.
    Since we are on the topic, I can't understand how some people say that they hear all kind of music (sorry tech that was not for you in particular) . I mean how can you go from simple lounge tunes to metal? I think that kind of spread show either extreme tolerance or non understanding-absorbance of music. Also almost every person that says that hears all kind of music will put the fingers on the ear holes, turn to embryo position, drop on the floor and start crying like a little girl when they get hit with Painkiller.

Let's give it a try:

How I do it depends:
    1) I hit shuffle on everything I own and let the randomness handle it. I'll go from Bach and Mozart to Bauhaus to Def Leppard to Pink Floyd to the Kinks, to Mozart again, to Ramstein.
    2) I listen to specific genres in batches. Some times I'll put on the 80', other times it's soundtracks, other times it's old school rap... just depends.

-tg

King of sapila

Yes but those are not "every specter". I was talking of "I listen to eeeveryting" people.
    I'm the first to admit that I DON'T listen to everything as 90% is crap. Also, as you mentioned it, Jazz is like the assembly language of music, extremely hard to grasp and boring as hell but to the right people is a machine of learning. I personally am bored to death listening to it, playing...Mhhh maybe a little,long time ago,as I have a Berklee degree in Jazz (you need that to learn EVERYTHING else) but again, boring as hell.

Yes but those are not "every specter".
    It's in the right spirit though. So let's let's not ghost him for a simple slip.

King of sapila

I truly had no intention, it was not directed to him at all.

P.S. Hamsters defending dogs? WTH is going on here?!!

PowerPoster

PowerPoster

My recently played songs (sorry for no Youtube embeds, these are local files and I didn't want to track down a url for all of them). Genre is a bit all over the place, but I hope someone else appreciates some of these songs.

Live - Lightning Crashes
    Cloud Cult - Days to Remember
    Billy Joel - These Are The Times To Remember
    My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed
    Cass Elliot - Make Your Own Kind Of Music
    Boney M. - Rasputin
    Passenger - Simple Song
    The Black Crowes - She Talks To Angels
    George Harrison - What Is Life
    David Foster - Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire
    The Decemberists - Sons & Daughters
    The Flys - Got You Where I Want You

PowerPoster

Warning, a bit rough not too safe for work:

"Clair de Lune" by Claude Debussy

Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 347481828384858687 LastLast