Thread: ADO error on Windows 10

Angry ADO error on Windows 10

When I try to run a VB6 program with ADO2.5 on Windows 10 I get the following message:

Run-time error -2147023897 (800703e7)

Automation error
    Error performing inpage operation

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hyperactive Member

Re: ADO error on Windows 10

This may be related to fileIO. Use Process Monitor to see what files are trying to be be read or written.

PowerPoster

Not much out there on this. I found an old Win XP related discussion that concluded:

0x800703E7 -2147023897 Error_Swaperror Error performing inpage operation

Error code 0x800703e7

The hard drive has become corrupted.

To start Check Disk

1. Open My Computer, right-click a drive, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now then you get a dialog box, check "Automatically fix file system errors"
    3. Click Start

You'll then have a message saying that it needs exclusive access and will run next time you reboot.

PowerPoster

BTW:

Turned out the guy had been suckered into using an SSD as his boot drive. It wore out, which of course under XP happens quite rapidly since XP doesn't implement the hacks required to extend the life of a fragile flash-based device used heavily.
    Last edited by dilettante; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    This may be related to fileIO. Use Process Monitor to see what files are trying to be be read or written.
    I think it is not file related.
    If I try to install Visual Studio 6, I get the message that the following DLL-s can't be registered (and I cant' register them manually):

msdasql.dll
    msdaos.dll
    oledb32.dll
    sqloledb.dll

And also the service pack can't be installed.
    Guess there is the problem but don't know how to solved it and it is very important to me

Fanatic Member

Did you use an installer to install your app on Win10, or did you just copy the EXE over?

ADO 2.5 came pre-installed with Windows 2000 and after.
    ADO 2.7 came pre-installed with Windows XP and after. 2.8 came with later SP.
    ADO 6.0 came pre-installed with Vista.

There is no need(and shouldn't) to install MDAC since XP, and you can't on XP+ as it's part of the OS. So any code targeting 2.5 only need to copy the EXE over in Windows 2000+.

Unrelated, if you need to install VS6, here is what I selected to make the install work on Win7, and it's probably the same for Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by qvb6 View Post
    Did you use an installer to install your app on Win10, or did you just copy the EXE over?

ADO 2.5 came pre-installed with Windows 2000 and after.
    ADO 2.7 came pre-installed with Windows XP and after. 2.8 came with later SP.
    ADO 6.0 came pre-installed with Vista.

There is no need(and shouldn't) to install MDAC since XP, and you can't on XP+ as it's part of the OS. So any code targeting 2.5 only need to copy the EXE over in Windows 2000+.

Unrelated, if you need to install VS6, here is what I selected to make the install work on Win7, and it's probably the same for Win10.
    Did not install the program, just compiled it an run on the same machine. I get the same error when running it from inside of VB.

Could be that I have installed MDAC an that has messed it up.
    Do you know how to "repair" the system if the wrong MDAC is installed? It must be something with the wrong DLL-s on my system. How can I check that?

Here is the code where the error occurs:

Set mcn = New ADODB.Connection
    Last edited by dkranj; Oct 24th, 2019 at 04:26 AM.

Fanatic Member

The OS protects these files, so you can't replace them. There is nothing wrong with your project or VB, you just have a bad system before you begun. Try dilettante suggestion in post #3.

PowerPoster

It sounds to me like VB wasn't installed properly.
    I would suggest reinstalling VB6 using the proper methods, when done correctly you should have no issue installing service pack 6 and then your problem will likely go away.

Fanatic Member

DataMiser, the OP didn't have VB6 installed, just copied the EXE over at first, then I presume tried to install VB6 to solve the problem, but it seems that the hard disk is corrupted.

PowerPoster

DataMiser, the OP didn't have VB6 installed, just copied the EXE over at first, then I presume tried to install VB6 to solve the problem, but it seems that the hard disk is corrupted.
    The way I read it was that the program was not installed, that it was compiled on that machine using I assume VB6 which was apparently installed on that machine but apparently not correctly since the service pack would not install. Perhaps I am making assumptions but not much given here to go on.

One thing is for sure if the program won;t run in the IDE then I would not expect a compiled version to run either if it would even compile at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    The way I read it was that the program was not installed, that it was compiled on that machine using I assume VB6 which was apparently installed on that machine but apparently not correctly since the service pack would not install. Perhaps I am making assumptions but not much given here to go on.

One thing is for sure if the program won;t run in the IDE then I would not expect a compiled version to run either if it would even compile at all.
    Sorry if I was not clear in my posts. The VB6 is installed on the machine. Tried to uninstall it several times and installed it the "right" way for Win10 (without the ADO). But the installation ends with the message 4 DLL-s are unable to register.
    Out of any ideas

Fanatic Member

Did you try the link I posted in post #6? Here is the link again. Right click the Setup EXE and select "Run as Administrator". The 4 DLL's are part of the OS for a long time.

Did you try the link I posted in post #6? Here is the link again. Right click the Setup EXE and select "Run as Administrator". The 4 DLL's are part of the OS for a long time.
    Thank you very much for trying to help. I have run the setup as administrator, I have even tried it with different compatibility options on/off.

Sorry, but what should I find in the link?
    I followed the instructions from this blog post:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install-...hine-for-java/

And this works on my friends comp, but on mine something is wrong and can't find what it is.

Fanatic Member

Try unselecting all of these(You can always modify the installation later to include them):

ADO and RDS
    Microsoft OLE DB SQL Server Provider
    Microsoft OLE DB Oracle Provider
    Microsoft OLE DB Simple Provider(OSP)
    Microsoft OLE DB Jet Provider