Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again...

Re: Here we go again...

Heck, I knew you'd be back in your last post. You even telegraphed your return.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Chowder = instant puke.Chairs are for wimps (looking down at his chair...)!
    But anyway I tried to be funny
    Now on more important stuff.
    1)Congrats on US team advancing to the 16 of world cup (you know, the one that you kick a ball) and also UK. And of course France. Not sure if Croatia advanced but if so kudos. I kinda dislike German football team but since we have some good people from Germany here, congrats also. I'm beating a dead horse but I would like Argentina to win this one but it's very unlikely. Also since PETA campaigned against using the expression, should arise the leftish here...FOR NIYA! Hail!
    2)I had a little plastic ship once that was remote controlled and I used to put it on the sea going uuuu,bzzzz,bzzzz. I kinda misplaced it back then and that was a pity.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Heck, I knew you'd be back in your last post. You even telegraphed your return.
    This is the absolute last time I post here...
    For the time being...(And since I gotta sleep)
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

The republican cowards...

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/29/11397...t-nick-fuentes

They turned a blind eye to his behavior out of fear for six years...pieces of ***.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    The republican cowards...

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/29/11397...t-nick-fuentes

They turned a blind eye to his behavior out of fear for six years...pieces of ***.
    I agree most of the republicans are cowards when it comes to Trump. But that article was about them saying Trump was wrong having dinner with that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I agree most of the republicans are cowards when it comes to Trump. But that article was about them saying Trump was wrong having dinner with that guy.
    I don't want to speak for Tyson necessarily but my issue is that more and more Republicans are criticising Trump now for things that the rest of us have been pointing out the whole time. They'll say it now because they think that Trump's hold on the Republican party is loosening but it's the fact that so many of them wouldn't say anything in the first place that he got such a firm hold to begin with. Of course, they'll never admit that they were wrong all along, even though Trump hasn't changed one bit. I saw some Republican say that his loyalty is only one way, as though we haven't been pointing that out for years. They also won't admit that they lied when they went along quite vociferously with the idea that the election was stolen. Trump has been consorting with white supremacists for years but it's only now that some of them will even admit it.

PowerPoster

You seem to forget that a big portion of Trump's support comes from working people who voted for Obama (many of them twice) and got screwed over royally by his false promises. They have no use for duopolitan neoliberal Romneycrats (Biden supporters) no matter which color jersey they sport.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I don't want to speak for Tyson necessarily but my issue is that more and more Republicans are criticising Trump now for things that the rest of us have been pointing out the whole time. They'll say it now because they think that Trump's hold on the Republican party is loosening but it's the fact that so many of them wouldn't say anything in the first place that he got such a firm hold to begin with. Of course, they'll never admit that they were wrong all along, even though Trump hasn't changed one bit. I saw some Republican say that his loyalty is only one way, as though we haven't been pointing that out for years. They also won't admit that they lied when they went along quite vociferously with the idea that the election was stolen. Trump has been consorting with white supremacists for years but it's only now that some of them will even admit it.
    If that was Ty's point then now I get it. lol

It seems to be at a point of uncertainty for Trump now. It wont be long before people are going to have make a decision on whether to stick with him. I think it could go either way, it will be interesting to watch.

If that was Ty's point then now I get it. lol

The republicans stood lockstep, with a few exceptions, with him through two impeachments. They are just as guilty as him.

It seems to be at a point of uncertainty for Trump now. It wont be long before people are going to have make a decision on whether to stick with him. I think it could go either way, it will be interesting to watch.
    I'm thinking he is done except for the really hardcore supporters. Republicans want to move on from him. He is a losing proposition now.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 30th, 2022 at 04:56 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm thinking he is done except for the really hardcore supporters. Republicans want to move on from him.
    Again, I'm pretty sure you have his voters confused with Republicans, who never liked him.

But I can see why you prefer Pence, with his history paralleling Biden's in so very many ways. He's sort of a Biden with a few marbles still rolling around upstairs, and seldom wanders mumbling and falling off the edge of a stage.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Again, I'm pretty sure you have his voters confused with Republicans, who never liked him.

But I can see why you prefer Pence, with his history paralleling Biden's in so very many ways. He's sort of a Biden with a few marbles still rolling around upstairs, and seldom wanders mumbling and falling off the edge of a stage.
    Really...I'm pretty sure it was republicans supporting him through the 2020 election, and two impeachments. Maybe they didn't like him that whole time, the hypocrites.

No true Republican, am I right?

The Republicans in this state LOVED him, and would be quite mad at you for calling them anything other than Republicans.

Trump did get a bunch of working class whites voting for him, but the majority of his voters were solid Republicans.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I think his polarising nature poses a unique problem for the GOP. Enough of the GOP base love him to pretty much guarantee him the primaries but enough of the country hate him to pretty much guarantee he'll lose them an election. I don't know how they get out of that bind.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

By hoping it won't materialize.

Ah, the ostrich defence. I take the same approach with bugs in software.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

It's probably the best option open to them. There are two things that would knock him out of the race. One is health, the other is legal, and that second one may or may not have any impact.

So long as Trump is in the race, any challenger would have to be able to win his base away from him. That's a very difficult thing to do for anybody. You have to make the case, "you like him better than me, but I'm more likely to win the general election." That's possible, but difficult to pull off.

Therefore, what's the real alternative? They can't sabotage his race without sabotaging themselves and guaranteeing failure, potentially for a very long time to come, since people likely wouldn't forget too quickly. They have to keep their heads down and hope for the best. Of course, considering that base, hoping for divine intervention is what they are best at.

PowerPoster

I wonder where the next "FTX illegal slush fund" will be exposed? That's a huge one though, so pretty hard to top for significance.

From the treatment by most media outlets you might think it was just Dem neoliberals who benefitted, but plenty of Rep counterparts among the Romneycratic Uniparty were feeding at the same trough.

You don't hear a lot lately about The Blockchain Eight: Reps. Tom Emmer (MN), Warren Davidson (OH), Byron Donalds (FL), and Ted Budd (NC) from the Republican side of the aisle; Reps. Josh Gottheimer (NJ), Jake Auchincloss (MA), Ritchie Torres (NY), and Darren Soto (FL) for the Democrats.

The Eight Congressmen Subverting the SEC’s Crypto Investigation

On March 16, a bipartisan group of congressmen decided to weigh in on the Securities and Exchange Commission’s ongoing investigation into cryptocurrency and blockchain companies. In a letter sent to the regulatory agency, the group demanded that SEC chair Gary Gensler and his department explain themselves in their information-gathering, calling into question the commission’s authority and approach.

There seems to be a strong desire here to partake in spinning the narrative of a two-party system. Those days began to end under Reagan and stopped with Clinton.

New 2020 voter data: How Biden won, how Trump kept the race close, and what it tells us about the future

The changing Hispanic vote is perhaps the most notable feature of the 2020 election. Although many observers believed that Mr. Trump’s tough policies at the border would drive Hispanics away from his candidacy, his share of the Hispanic vote jumped by 10 points, from 28 to 38%. This increase accounts for a portion of the gains he made among urban voters, his share of whom increased by 9 points, from 24 to 33%. In another surprise, his support among young adults ages 18 to 29 improved by 7 points, from 28 to 35%.
    That ignores Trump's gains with black voters, but though significant it was not as substantial.

Things just weren't and aren't as simple as we'd probably prefer to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    No true Republican, am I right?
    You would have to define "true republican" but the ballots are clearly marked and the signs are in their front yards. In other words, NO!

PowerPoster

Yeah. Who wants safety, peace, freedom, and prosperity when you can oppose Trump to get insecurity, war, oppression, and austerity? If only we had a 3rd option, not Trump but not reckless authoritarianism. Something like a sane and honest Bernie Sanders instead of a nutbar lapdog.

Yeah. Who wants safety, peace, freedom, and prosperity when you can oppose Trump to get insecurity, war, oppression, and austerity? If only we had a 3rd option, not Trump but not reckless authoritarianism. Something like a sane and honest Bernie Sanders instead of a nutbar lapdog.
    I'm not sure that it's possible under the current system. The primary system isn't the same between parties, nor between states, but it generally favors partisans over sane and honest. Sometimes, that's quite explicit.

In Idaho, a faction in the leadership of the Republican party felt that there were too many moderates getting elected, so they pushed through closing the primary to only registered Republicans. On the face of it, that makes sense, as why wouldn't you want the party faithful to elect the party leaders? If you knew what was happening behind the scenes, though, it was a different matter. The congressmen, senators, and governor, were not the party leadership. While they would be considered quite far right in most circles, those were the people that the leadership found so disturbingly moderate. It was an internal power struggle within the party, with the leadership wanting to push even further to the right.

So far, it's hard to see what has changed. We've elected some truly toxic congressmen. One couldn't get along with ANYBODY, to the extent that the speaker of the Idaho house tried to explicitly and openly sabotage his candidacy, while his colleague in congress offered to throw him out a window, but that was all before closing the primaries.

The point was that the primaries were being deliberately manipulated in an attempt to get increasingly partisan people elected. It hasn't totally worked, since only the shenanigans of our last Lt. Governor managed to make national news, but the point is there: Primaries can ensure that the race goes only to the partisans.

PowerPoster

Well what's new though? How are things different from 1922 or 1822?

I'm not sure what you are arguing for. A repeal of the Declaration and resumption of bowing to monarchs and their chartered trading companies?

PowerPoster

Who wants safety, peace, freedom, and prosperity when you can oppose Trump
    Is that Trumps legacy as president? Your memory is much different than mine. I saw him leave a country violently divided.

Well what's new though? How are things different from 1922 or 1822?

I'm not sure what you are arguing for. A repeal of the Declaration and resumption of bowing to monarchs and their chartered trading companies?
    I'm not arguing for anything. We don't have to throw everything out to make improvements, but in this case, I'm not sure what improvements there are to make. The situation we have is a result of the system that was created. Every system of rules will favor one outcome or another, whether we intend it to or not. I believe that there are simple rule changes that can make Congress more functional, I'm just not sure there are any simple rule changes that won't keep us with a two party system where both parties have incentives to nominate certain types of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure that it's possible under the current system. The primary system isn't the same between parties, nor between states, but it generally favors partisans over sane and honest. Sometimes, that's quite explicit.

In Idaho, a faction in the leadership of the Republican party felt that there were too many moderates getting elected, so they pushed through closing the primary to only registered Republicans. On the face of it, that makes sense, as why wouldn't you want the party faithful to elect the party leaders? If you knew what was happening behind the scenes, though, it was a different matter. The congressmen, senators, and governor, were not the party leadership. While they would be considered quite far right in most circles, those were the people that the leadership found so disturbingly moderate. It was an internal power struggle within the party, with the leadership wanting to push even further to the right.

So far, it's hard to see what has changed. We've elected some truly toxic congressmen. One couldn't get along with ANYBODY, to the extent that the speaker of the Idaho house tried to explicitly and openly sabotage his candidacy, while his colleague in congress offered to throw him out a window, but that was all before closing the primaries.

The point was that the primaries were being deliberately manipulated in an attempt to get increasingly partisan people elected. It hasn't totally worked, since only the shenanigans of our last Lt. Governor managed to make national news, but the point is there: Primaries can ensure that the race goes only to the partisans.
    If I read your post correctly I think Hershel Walker running for Senate is an example of that. I think if someone from either party was honest they would admit he is unfit to be a US Senator. Most republicans are willing to hold their noses and vote for him just to get a warm body with an R next to it. So the election isn't about governing it is about power. I guess it has been like that for awhile and maybe I'm fooling myself believing there was a time when it wasn't. Maybe getting old has opened my eyes to the way it has always been.

Is that Trumps legacy as president? Your memory is much different than mine. I saw him leave a country violently divided.
    Don't forget his approach to the Covid-19 pandemic. He was more concerned about his poll numbers than Americans dying. He managed to turn a disease into political cause. And don't forget injecting bleach

PowerPoster

If I read your post correctly I think Hershel Walker running for Senate is an example of that. I think if someone from either party was honest they would admit he is unfit to be a US Senator. Most republicans are willing to hold their noses and vote for him just to get a warm body with an R next to it. So the election isn't about governing it is about power. I guess it has been like that for awhile and maybe I'm fooling myself believing there was a time when it wasn't. Maybe getting old has opened my eyes to the way it has always been.
    I'm in the same boat. Getting old (retiring) has left me more time to pay attention to politics. YAY. lol

I'll admit I don't know if Walker is fit to be a US Senator. If so, I wonder how he was chosen as the person with the best chance of winning. A US Senator is way up on the food chain. Seems like there should have been significant competition. I hadn't even heard his name since he left football.

I'm in the same boat. Getting old (retiring) has left me more time to pay attention to politics. YAY. lol

I'll admit I don't know if Walker is fit to be a US Senator. If so, I wonder how he was chosen as the person with the best chance of winning. A US Senator is way up on the food chain. Seems like there should have been significant competition. I hadn't even heard his name since he left football.
    Trump endorsed him:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/02/polit...georgia-senate

But he is as unfit for senator as he could be. That the race is that close shows it is just red and blue and what is in-between.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Dec 3rd, 2022 at 06:34 PM.

PowerPoster

I had seen that Trump was campaigning for Walker. Had Walker been active in local politics or was this a pure let get a black local hero to run for Senator?

I had seen that Trump was campaigning for Walker. Had Walker been active in local politics or was this a pure let get a black local hero to run for Senator?
    According to Walker no:

Herschel Walker ‘mad’ at Trump for taking credit for ex-NFL star’s Senate bid
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nald-trump-mad

But in my opinion Walker would have gone nowhere without him. He is flat out unfit to be a Senator but has a good chance to win. That's American politics today...

Once Hershel Walker got the Republican nomination, I don't necessarily have an issue with Republican voters casting their vote for him. Independents who generally lean Republic may choose to vote Democrat or abstain from voting but actual Republicans voting for the Republican candidate isn't really an issue. I think that Democratic voters would do the same if the show were on the other foot. I think the difference is that, for all their faults, Democrats would not let someone as obviously incompetent as Walker win a primary in the first place. It seems to me that he's been chosen by the Trump arm of the party as someone who will do what he's told and a lot of people just see the Trump stamp of approval and that's enough for them.

He just can't stop himself...suspend the Constitution

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/05/polit...sis/index.html

He should have thought of that before January 6th.

^Yeah, that is a genuinely disturbing world view.

He just can't stop himself...suspend the Constitution
    I guess we can put the SCOTUS out to pasture then.

PowerPoster

I'd worry more about the money chasing after John Bolton to run in the GOP Primary.

While people think it cleverly undermines Trump, but be careful what you release from the bottle. You might reap what you sow.

I'd worry more about the money chasing after John Bolton to run in the GOP Primary.

While people think it cleverly undermines Trump, but be careful what you release from the bottle. You might reap what you sow.
    Trump doesn't need anyone to undermine him...he does a great job at it all by himself.

PowerPoster

Trump doesn't need anyone to undermine him...he does a great job at it all by himself.
    I not sure Trump can undermine himself. He seems to have his 30% locked in. No matter what he does they find a way to excuse/not believe it.

I think this might be the wrong Jon Bolton:

https://jonbolton.net/about

but it's a bit hard to say. After all, it does say that you never know what he's going to do next. However, running for president doesn't seem likely to happen for any form of currently living John Bolton. Money might chase him, but he registers a zero on any measure of political viability. I think you'd be more likely to see Jeb Bush try it again, and that won't be happening either.

PowerPoster

Things are even more desperate for the other side:

Why unpopular Biden desperately wants Democrats' primary season to start in South Carolina

Jiggering the Primary election timings is a last hope to gain influence through inner city machine politics.

The Biden team’s goal is clear: make it almost impossible for someone to challenge the president for the 2024 nomination. So far, no one has openly thrown their hat in the ring, but that hasn’t kept some pundits from suggesting possible contenders. The Washington Post, for example, acknowledges that "the base is still historically unconvinced about nominating Biden again" and lists 9 potential challengers.
    Democrats are playing a dangerous game. Making changes that favor Black voters might work for individual candidates in some states, but risks losing support from other members of their coalition, including Asians and Hispanics.

Obama gave us identity politics; Biden has pursued the divisive approach in warp speed. It is not good for the country, and it may not turn out to be good for Democrats.

Things are even more desperate for the other side:

Why unpopular Biden desperately wants Democrats' primary season to start in South Carolina

Jiggering the Primary election timings is a last hope to gain influence through inner city machine politics.
    Obama gave us identity politics; Biden has pursued the divisive approach in warp speed. It is not good for the country, and it may not turn out to be good for Democrats.
    Look up the word "projection" and that would be an example...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast