Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 1,000 of 1727

Thread: Musk buys Twitter

Re: Musk buys Twitter

I think I either missed what Niya said or replied with some discussion about men wearing skirts...I mean kilts. I do remember writing about that as a trend that seems to have run its course for long distance hikers.

However, that line made me overlook something. Niya is from the Caribbean. There's a cultural stereotype for people from that area that has some basis in truth: An excessive machismo viewpoint. If he's from one of those cultures, where there's a fixation on a form of overt masculinity, that would explain a lot. It's not uncommon, so if that's his cultural norm, I'd say that his views are understandable.

Some of that manifests in some pretty spectacular art, so it's not all bad. It certainly had some bad aspects, though. It seemed like there were things they weren't allowed to look at, and were required to pretend didn't exist. That sounds familiar, doesn't it?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I think that Niya point was exactly what you proclaim but on the opposite. Young children pushed to became something that they are not.
    I don't think that's the case at all. I'm not going back to find the exact words he used but he said something like "what if we want a stay-at-home wife" and then followed that with "what if we don't want our boys to play with dolls and wear skirts". That seems very much about the desires of him and people like him, not that others are trying to force wives and sons to be something they are not. If wives want to stay at home and sons want to play with trucks and wear trousers then they should do just that. I'm certainly not trying to force them to do otherwise and I'm not aware of many, if any, people who are. The point is that people should be able to do what they want to do, not just choose from what's approved for wives, sons or otherwise. The whole point of gender-neutral clothing and toys is that a person and, in particular, a child gets to express who they feel they are rather than learning to conform to what society thinks they should be based on their chromosomes or genitals. If Niya or you or anybody else thinks it's about forcing children to be something they're not then they could not be all wrong.

If some people get a bit overzealous in encouraging a child to express themselves and the child thinks they need to express something that isn't there just to please a parent then that is unfortunate and definitely not something that I want to happen. That said, just as Niya thinks that we need to take some responsibility for the rise of Jordan Peterson, Matt Walsh and their ilk, so he and others need to take some responsibility for situations like that. If people didn't have to fight so hard for children to be able to express an identity outside the accepted societal norm then they would be less likely to fight too hard. The same could be said about many areas. For instance, many people complain about feminism having gone too far but that is, at least in part, due to the fact that feminism has had to fight tooth and nail to make any ground at all for so long. They still have to fight to achieve equality is some areas so that spills over into fighting in other areas that maybe don't need so much attention. If more people had been reasonable in the first place then we could have reached a new equilibrium that was acceptable to all much sooner. You can bet that the people who complain loudest now about feminism having gone too far would, had they been born some decades earlier, be the ones complaining loudest about, for instance, women getting to vote in the first place.

You overthink the whole thread.
    I might say that the opposite is true of some others. If we're talking about issues that affect people's lives then it might be nice to put some thought into it.

PowerPoster

However, that line made me overlook something. Niya is from the Caribbean. There's a cultural stereotype for people from that area that has some basis in truth: An excessive machismo viewpoint. If he's from one of those cultures, where there's a fixation on a form of overt masculinity, that would explain a lot. It's not uncommon, so if that's his cultural norm, I'd say that his views are understandable.
    I have no problem understanding how he has those views. I was raised in that environment and was perpetuating it further in my young adulthood. I would have had a problem if my son wanted to wear dresses. Thank goodness that wasn't an issue. I probably would have made his life miserable. I'd say there is still a significant segment of the US population that still carry those beliefs, maybe just watered down just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I have no problem understanding how he has those views.
    Indeed. We're all products of our environment and we each get trained to be a certain way to some degree and some of us break out of that training to some degree. I think part of the problem is that Niya keeps on complaining that we're not making an effort to understand him when I would say that the opposite is at least as true, if not more. Niya has attitudes that have existed for centuries so the idea that we don't understand them is a bit silly. We're supporting new ideas and he's the one who seems to be denying they can be true because they haven't been around for a long time. Every idea is new at some point and I'm sure there's plenty of things that Niya takes for granted that were resisted by many when they were new.

King of sapila

Would be nice to hear from him tho instead of speculations.
    Maybe reduce the month a bit? Just saying..
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Would be nice to hear from him tho instead of speculations.
    Maybe reduce the month a bit? Just saying..
    Just get Elon Musk to buy VBForums.

King of sapila

I'll call him. Should I give your love and kisses?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Maybe reduce the month a bit?
    No.

Niya has been repeatedly warned about the manner in which he posts. He was warned again, in response to which he feigned ignorance about the provocative nature of his posts, made another provocative post (mild and something I would normally have let slide, but unacceptable within a day of being warned) and posted a link to an extremely homophobic song that advocates killing gay people. He was lucky it wasn't permanent and, if he doesn't change, next time it will be.

I'm sure there are those who would like to portray this as suppressing his opinion. It was not, as evidenced by the fact that he has been given plenty of oxygen to express that opinion and the fact that others arguing the same opinion have not been banned.

If a member repeatedly sets out to offend they will be warned, then banned. This is not a difficult concept.

I will say to other members, though, that speculating on what Niya would or would have said/meant isn't particularly useful and can come across as gloating. We should probably avoid it unless it is directly pertinent the debate at hand.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    No.

Niya has been repeatedly warned about the manner in which he posts. He was warned again, in response to which he feigned ignorance about the provocative nature of his posts, made another provocative post (mild and something I would normally have let slide, but unacceptable within a day of being warned) and posted a link to an extremely homophobic song that advocates killing gay people. He was lucky it wasn't permanent and, if he doesn't change, next time it will be.

I'm sure there are those who would like to portray this as suppressing his opinion. It was not, as evidenced by the fact that he has been given plenty of oxygen to express that opinion and the fact that others arguing the same opinion have not been banned.

If a member repeatedly sets out to offend they will be warned, then banned. This is not a difficult concept.
    Given how he talks about Jordan Peterson, he'll probably make a 15 minute video about this ban now though.

King of sapila

Ye practically, even if the ban was lowered I wouldn't expect him to be back next day, even if provoked as some do now.
    I was not aware of the song advocating killing gay people tho. And that is-was on youtube, I guess? If so then it probably is not a song saying to kill gay people as youtube has strict rules. Where is the song and the lyrics? Can someone show it, if it's not against the rules here.
    Anyhow talking against a person not able to responded continually after a few days is cowardice at best, so I would kindly ask to cease the attacks.

If so then it probably is not a song saying to kill gay people as youtube has strict rules
    It absolutely is. It's sung in a Caribbean Patois and You Tube's algorithm is probably not doing a good job of parsing it. If you're really interested you can google for the lyrics. They're still not the easiest to read due to the patois but it doesn't take that much effort.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

I can certainly google the lyrics....If I knew the name of the song

----
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Nov 30th, 2022 at 11:29 AM.

PowerPoster

I can certainly google the lyrics....If I knew the name of the song
    Check post 937

I didn't click the link.

King of sapila

Ye I don't understand squat of the lyrics but if that was the post that raised the ban I think you overacted. From what I can read is that he said that people where dancing to this without knowing what it was about. If you hadn't say so I wouldn't know. I might be wrong and then the thread escalated but I really don't want to read all the posts.
    But if that is a "bad" song, I'm thinking of some songs that should also be offensive and everyone listens to them. For once all the AC/DC catalog (that they fkn rule!).
    And you can click on the link it won't bite you, you reggaeophobic you (or whatever that is) , lol.
    Last edited by sapator; Nov 30th, 2022 at 06:53 PM.

Oops...
    News of the meeting with Apple came after Mr Musk was told he faced "huge work ahead" to bring Twitter into compliance with new European Union rules on disinformation or face a possible ban.

EU commissioner Thierry Breton made the comments in a meeting with Mr Musk on Wednesday, saying the social media site would have to address issues such as content moderation, disinformation and targeted adverts.

Approved by the EU earlier this year, the Digital Services Act is seen as the biggest overhaul of rules governing online activity in decades, imposing new obligations on companies to prevent abuse of their platforms.

Major companies are expected to be in compliance with the law some time next year.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63816110
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 30th, 2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

That edge cuts more than one way though. Once extremist views fall out of favor you could find your own ox gored.

The big story:

China is rolling tanks in its streets and Apple is acting as their minion.

PowerPoster

There are a lot of real scientists doing populist outreach these days, as opposed to fairly phony "celeb-science" mouthpieces like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Many, if not most of them, don't get a lot of exposure. Probably because of more moderate positions on issues and expressing concern about the rise of authoritarianism. Because they operate from positions based less on doctrine and more on reality you can find them tilting at windmills on both the left and the right.

Here is one of them taking a swipe at your buddy Tucker in passing. "Ball tanning" is hilarious but deprecating it has gotten people in hot water with extremists from both sides who are invested in body modification and gobbling down nutritional supplements. You can find its fans both flying rainbow flags and wearing red or green hats.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    That edge cuts more than one way though. Once extremist views fall out of favor you could find your own ox gored.

The big story:

You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers
    https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/91774...ay-fox-s-lawye

That doesn't stop you though...

There are a lot of real scientists doing populist outreach these days, as opposed to fairly phony "celeb-science" mouthpieces like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Many, if not most of them, don't get a lot of exposure. Probably because of more moderate positions on issues and expressing concern about the rise of authoritarianism. Because they operate from positions based less on doctrine and more on reality you can find them tilting at windmills on both the left and the right.

Here is one of them taking a swipe at your buddy Tucker in passing. "Ball tanning" is hilarious but deprecating it has gotten people in hot water with extremists from both sides who are invested in body modification and gobbling down nutritional supplements. You can find its fans both flying rainbow flags and wearing red or green hats.

You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers

That doesn't stop you though...

That doesn't seem to stop you though...

That doesn't even stop you though...

That doesn't stop ever you though...

That doesn't stop you though.....

The big story:

That doesn't stop you though........

That doesn't stop you though...............

King of sapila

What in the ninth hell of spam?!

Um, yeah. Did you mean to post that 8 times or was that a forum glitch?

I agree that Carlson is to journalism what an enema is to dental hygiene and that the "Apple is a Chinese stooge" conspiracy is just bizarre (and only started after they pulled their advertising from Twitter - funny that) but I'm not sure it bore repeating that many times.

For once all the AC/DC catalog (that they fkn rule!).
    They do indeed rule. They've never advocated killing people though. Mostly they just used lots of childish euphemisms and sung about the joy to be found in the love of larger ladies.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Dec 1st, 2022 at 06:25 AM.

Um, yeah. Did you mean to post that 8 times or was that a forum glitch?

I agree that Carlson is to journalism what an enema is to dental hygiene and that the "Apple is a Chinese stooge" conspiracy is just bizarre (and only started after they pulled their advertising from Twitter - funny that) but I'm not sure it bore repeating that many times.

They do indeed rule. They've never advocated killing people though. Mostly they just used lots of childish euphemisms and sung about the joy to be found in the love of larger ladies.
    I didn't mean to post that many times. It is not a forum glitch. It was a human glitch...cut and paste gone wild

PowerPoster

The funny part is that one of those videos was a scientist making arguments against a Tucker Carlson story. But when your knees are that jerky I guess you hit your own chin a lot.

Here is one of them taking a swipe at your buddy Tucker in passing.
    Whose buddy is he exactly? I'm not sure that anyone here has given any reason to believe that they'd qualify.

The funny part is that one of those videos was a scientist making arguments against a Tucker Carlson story. But when your knees are that jerky I guess you hit your own chin a lot.
    The sad part is that only one of them was, which means that you're still posting at least one video of Tucker Carlson as though he has anything worthwhile to say. That's significantly more than anyone should. Tucker has a lot of catching up to do to be right as often as a broken clock.

I wouldn't know...I never read them. My chin is a little sore this morning though!

King of sapila

And drinking...LOT of drinking with Bon and Hell.

And drinking...LOT of drinking with Bon and Hell.
    The difference between a Scottish wedding and a Scottish wake is one less drunk...

Depends on the cause of death

Oddly, I was up in Glasgow just last week. I actually saw a man having a fight with a bus stop. From what I could tell the bus stop was winning.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I didn't mean to post that many times. It is not a forum glitch. It was a human glitch...cut and paste gone wild
    How is that even possible? Don't you run into an issue with the time delay required between posts?

Oddly, I was up in Glasgow just last week. I actually saw a man having a fight with a bus stop. From what I could tell the bus stop was winning.
    I know somebody who, rather notoriously, got in a fight with a shrub, or small sapling. It didn't go well for the guy, and the shrub didn't seem to care.

Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast