Page 1632 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6321132153215821622162916301631163216331634163516421682 ... LastLast
Results 65,241 to 65,280 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Still can be, though I believe the birds are of legal age, these days.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Not if you're Matt Gaetz
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

5 days and counting.......
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

counting in which direction ? counting on an answer ?
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

@Delaney - What's going on in France? Y'all about to have a civil war?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Are you about to start (yet another) war with Britain, this time over fish?

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    @Delaney - What's going on in France? Y'all about to have a civil war?
    I wonder what kind of news do you have and where did you get them to speak of civil war .
    We have the usual political stupidities. The last lock-down was just a joke. The vaccination is going up and now everyone above 18 can have it. The English discovered that the Brexit is not a good thing for them and doesn't like us anymore ( oh, that's too bad ) and the Scottish want to separate from them (that's nice, it will be a pleasure to help).
    We have a few military people from extreme right that write a paper about the fact they are not pleased but it is just political maneuver to prepare 2022 ( president election) and they just drop their career.
    And we have a couple a policemen who were killed by dealer (which is not so common). A few terrorists arrested (extreme right this time, it changes from usual) and a serial killer just died (always a good thing)

No, nothing really unusual for France
    Last edited by Delaney; May 11th, 2021 at 11:22 AM.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Are you about to start (yet another) war with Britain, this time over fish?
    It was already the case before the brexit. Our fishermen always had trouble with the english and the spanish ones. I hear that since I am young, Europe just put more rules and nobody respect the rules, so...

they can keep the fish as long I can keep the chips

This is what I'm referring to: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing

It popped up on the "trending now" section of Bing.

Don't worry, a big word for just a political stuff to prepare the next elections : we have the Regions election this year and the president one next year. Our regions are a bit like your states but smaller and with much much less independence as all the laws applied the same everywhere. But they have they own budget and money (it is always a question of money...)
    Last edited by Delaney; May 11th, 2021 at 11:30 AM.

This is what I'm referring to
    Le Penn would be one of the right wing nutters Delany referred to. She's really not worth listening too.

France does seem to have a problem with right wing nutters and far right parties are always grabbing local and even national government positions. I don't know why because, in my experience, the French are a pretty liberal lot on the whole.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I don't know why because, in my experience, the French are a pretty liberal lot on the whole.
    I'm not sure I'd consider bombing the you-know-what out of west African nations in the name of "the fight against terrorism" is very liberal.

Then again the anti-war left of old (at least in the US) has traded in their anti-imperialism rhetoric for woke-ism.

One of the few categories that fell in the venn diagram between the left and my beliefs was the anti-war stuff. So it's a bit frustrating to not see that anymore.

</rant>

So how 'bout that crazy gas shortage in the southeast?

I'm not sure I'd consider bombing the you-know-what out of west African nations in the name of "the fight against terrorism" is very liberal
    Yeah, their history with Algeria is pretty shameful. If you want to look at their colonial history it's all pretty bad but I'm British so this is definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

I was referring more to their current political stance and I was also referring to the people I meet rather than politics at a National level.

France had a strong right wing up into the 70s and 80s. The Front National (not sure I'm spelling that right, but their equivalent of the British "National Front") were a major force in French politics - in fact Le Penn's father was one of their leaders, she's carried on his traditions. But my impression from French people today is that they're pretty laid back. I know there were some race riots in Marseilles about 10 years back (my timescale is probably inaccurate on that - I'm dredging up memories) and there was a lot of fuss over whether Muslims should be allowed to wear burkha's but, on the whole, I've found them to be a tolerant bunch.

It's entirely possible, though, that I just happen to only met the tolerant ones.

I think DDay is referring to the ongoing French involvement in some of the sahel-region countries in West Africa.

Yes, we have soldiers in Mali. And that's the only reason the religious extremists didn't take over the country and killed thousand people. Of course, the gold and iron mines have nothing to do at all with that...

The continent has so much resource , it is a permanent hidden and "secret" battle between all the "occidental" and "oriental" countries to have influence and get the richness.

the sahel-region
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of this and haven't had much time to read up on it now but from a quick google it sounds like a pretty messy situation.

Sadly, us Europeans don't have a great history in Africa.

Yeah, it's a messy situation, to be sure. The French are supporting somebody (who just managed to get himself killed, so we'll see what happens there) who was a bit less bad than the people they were fighting.

The dispute over the Jersey Islands fishery surprised me a bit. I had never really looked at where those islands were located. Heck, I don't care where NEW Jersey is located, let alone the older version. Anyways, that island is a whole lot closer to France than England is. So, I guess the fight is mostly for the sole of the Jersey Islands, though that comment might be out of plaice.

PowerPoster

I've stopped paying attention to the fish wars, I've haddock with the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I've stopped paying attention to the fish wars, I've haddock with the whole situation.
    I understand. Me too, I had dock with the whale situation.

PS: I discovered that when trying to do a pun with your sentence, you already made one

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of this and haven't had much time to read up on it now but from a quick google it sounds like a pretty messy situation.

Sadly, us Europeans don't have a great history in Africa.
    That's true but since some time now, the USA, Chinese and Russian added to the game. So the numbers of players increased to the detriment of African people (but not to their leaders)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    ...dock...
    ...permits this segue!

Party crashers at the pool party just barged in!

Let's see how long you can keep that one afloat!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The dispute over the Jersey Islands fishery surprised me a bit. I had never really looked at where those islands were located. Heck, I don't care where NEW Jersey is located, let alone the older version. Anyways, that island is a whole lot closer to France than England is. So, I guess the fight is mostly for the sole of the Jersey Islands, though that comment might be out of plaice.
    The Jersey problem is unsolvable as the Jersey and France share territorial waters. And the island is in the french exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Same for Guernesey. But it is also true for the English channel and the sea between the UK and the Ireland.
    Last edited by Delaney; May 13th, 2021 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    ...permits this segue!

Party crashers at the pool party just barged in!

Let's see how long you can keep that one afloat!
    not long if it ends at the bottom of the well where we won't find any cod or haddock but if the barge docks, we won't need anymore a float..
    Last edited by Delaney; May 13th, 2021 at 04:49 PM.

though that comment might be out of plaice.
    first, I thought you made a typo but knowing you, I checked twice. This is a good one
    Last edited by Delaney; May 13th, 2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo...

It wasn't the only one in that post, either. Though, they almost fell as flat fish.

oh no, I saw the whole ones and they feel not so flat if they have humpback.

I just spoke to my dad and brother-in-law, apparently Lake Charles is flooding.

Last year they were hit with the strongest hurricane on record to hit Louisiana, followed by a strong CAT-3, and now this.

My dad's apartments took on 7" of water and because he's in a flood zone X (people mistakenly call that as not being in a flood zone), he doesn't have any flood insurance.

I have a friend who lost everything from Hurricane Laura, started the process of rebuilding, and has lost everything again. It's a very bleak time in SW Louisiana right now.

PowerPoster

Wow, no idea things were that rough. Didn't pay attention to news for a few days, TV or radio. I have WeatherNation on monitor 2 now via Pluto TV channel 217.

Couldn't find their own direct stream. Maybe they stopped doing that?
    Last edited by dilettante; May 17th, 2021 at 10:32 PM.

Isn't the southern part of that state slowly sinking? I've seen structures, like old Civil War forts, which are now partially submerged.

I'm not sure about sinking, but we're definitely losing land due to erosion. My wife inherited several acres of property in Leeville that is now completely submerged.

So...she has now inherited a fish pond?

I believe the government now owns it.

Yeah, there's some laws about waterways. It's navigable waters, but that term is VERY loosely defined. It allows people to fish on streams running across private property out here. I've always been a bit uncertain about those rules.

She's just accepted the fact that:
    1. The property is inaccessible, except by boat
    2. She was young when she inherited it, so she never had the opportunity to use it anyways

A buddy of mine told me about a friend who had some property where he was hoping to open something like a B&B, resort, restaurant, or something like that....then the '97 flood came through, and his property is now vertical. The flat ground was all washed down the river.

Out here, floods don't happen the way they do in the East. In the East, rivers tend to get out of their banks and wander through the neighborhood. Out here, rivers stay in their banks until they are quite large...then they start digging. We have what are called blowouts, where a stream will suddenly scour the channel downwards, and can move fantastic amounts of debris from very small drainages.

I was fishing with a buddy up on one river. There were a few clouds towards evening, and we got a few scattered raindrops, but not enough to wet the ground thoroughly. When we got up in the morning, the river looked like chocolate pudding. Somewhere upstream of us, there had been a downpour, and some tributary blew out. The amount of water was insignificant in the river we were fishing, so it didn't look like it had risen much at all, but the amount of dirt that came out of that tributary had thoroughly choked the river. Upon seeing that, we packed up our tents and headed for town. Fish sure wouldn't be biting in those conditions.

I always wondered how people drowned during flash floods because the way that they work here is that, yes it floods, but it consistently rises. So you know pretty quickly if you won't be able to leave a particular area.

Then again there are those idiots who know that an area is flooded, try to drive through it anyways, and then flood their car, but rarerly ever do they drown.

People who die in canyons usually are caught by surprise with nowhere to go. Outside of canyons, it tends to be people being a bit incautious. They don't realize how powerful fast flowing water is, and they try to drive through one of our blowouts. It only takes about a foot of water to sweep a car off the road, and then they're done.

Canyon flash floods are freaky. The water level can go from a trickle to tens of feet of raging torrent in seconds.

It's gotten crazy cold for May. I've had to turn the heat back on in the house.

It's been chilly here too, down to like the 60s. Usually May (especially late May) we're seeing highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper 70s.

I would have thought that this colder weather would have helped with hurricane season, something I've always heard was longer/colder winters bring less hurricanes, but NOAA just predicted another busy hurricane season.

Page 1632 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6321132153215821622162916301631163216331634163516421682 ... LastLast