Thread: VB app takes long time to load

Lively Member

VB app takes long time to load

I have a very small VB application that is just a calculator. I run it from the exe in the bin folder. My issue is, that it takes about 30-40 seconds for the form to open. If I close it and then run it again, it will only take 2-3 seconds. But if I try again in a few hours, it will again take 30-40 seconds. All that runs at form load is loading the form in the screenshot below. No other actions are performed at load time that would cause the delay.

The truth is, I have other small applications that have this same issue. It's been like this for years, I'm just asking about it now because it has always been annoying and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Any idea how to solve this?

Name:  Percent_Calculator_qOtPXQJugZ.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  38.6 KB

Re: VB app takes long time to load

It sounds like an issue with your system rather than this application. Try the same project/application on a different machine and see whether it behaves the same. If it doesn't then obviously it's your system.

Lively Member

Obviously, that was my first thought, but all other software on my computer (not developed by me) loads super fast; even Photoshop loads faster than 30 seconds and I'm sure a lot more goes on in the background when photoshop loads than my calculator. So I don't think it's my system.

Quote Originally Posted by ZviT View Post
    So I don't think it's my system.
    What you think isn't really relevant. Find out what actually is the case, so we don't waste our time trying to find another cause that doesn't exist.

Lively Member

Turn off your anti virus software, if you have any running on your machine

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRiver1987 View Post
    Turn off your anti virus software, if you have any running on your machine
    I use the built-in Windows Defender. I wouldn't want to turn it off every time I run one of my applications.
    I am going to take jmcilhinney's suggestion and find a friend to try it on his computer.

I am going to take jmcilhinney's suggestion and find a friend to try it on his computer.
    If you can't find anyone to do it for you, delete all the obj and bin folders from your solution, zip it up and attach it here. Someone here may well be willing to test it for you.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    If you can't find anyone to do it for you, delete all the obj and bin folders from your solution, zip it up and attach it here. Someone here may well be willing to test it for you.
    That would be a big help. I'm attaching it here.
    But don't test by running it within Visual Studio because then it always opens in seconds, even by me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lively Member

Worked fine for me running the EXE from the bin folder

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

You DO need to do things such as turning off Windows Defender if you want to find out why it takes a while to load. If it is the same then you know it is not Defender and you can turn it on again. If it runs faster then you know why and you can turn windows Defender back on again.

Simple steps to diagnose the issue.

First things first, tell us your machine configuration, CPU, RAM, boot drive hardware, hardware where the affected binary resides plus usage of same in % when the slowdown occurs.

Which software packages are running simultaneously, using task manager what load does your program put on the system?

Basic information like that is required.

If you went to a doctor and told him you were ill but would not let him examine you? - that's where we are at the moment.

PowerPoster

Yeah, it triggered Windows Defender on my machine. But after creating the bin folders, when I ran the exe it popped up instantly.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah, it triggered Windows Defender on my machine. But after creating the bin folders, when I ran the exe it popped up instantly.
    As I mentioned, if you run it a second time, also by me it would open immediately. If a few hours went by since you tested it, try running the exe now and see if it runs immediately.

Is this normal that a VB project would trigger Windows Defender? Does this happen with your projects as well?

UPDATE: I noticed that years ago I already added an exception to Windows Defender so that it shouldn't look in the folder that has my VB projects\applications. Can this be the reason it's causing a delay at startup? Windows Defender takes time to decide to "skip" this folder? Is it normal that Windows Defender would have issues running our personal VB projects?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    You DO need to do things such as turning off Windows Defender if you want to find out why it takes a while to load. If it is the same then you know it is not Defender and you can turn it on again. If it runs faster then you know why and you can turn windows Defender back on again.
    As I mentioned, The project folder is added as an exception in Windows Defender. Will try to turn it off in a few hours because I just ran the app so now it will run fine and test would be inaccurate.

First things first, tell us your machine configuration, CPU, RAM, boot drive hardware, hardware where the affected binary resides plus usage of same in % when the slowdown occurs.
    CPU: i7-3770K 3.90GHz
    RAM: 32.0 GB
    BOOT DRIVE: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    BINARY DRIVE: Internal WD BLUE 4TB SATA
    TOTAL CPU % at app run: 9%. Out of which the app itself is only using 4% of that.

Which software packages are running simultaneously, using task manager what load does your program put on the system
    Lots of programs are running simultaneously, but are very well monitored by me and nothing extra is loaded. As I mentioned, even Photoshop opens faster so it's not a load issue.

But we need to know what those programs are... once again you aren't telling us all the picture. Ensure you are running the bare minimum of applications so that you avoid any potential room for conflicts between programs.

Look, simply try to run the program on as basic a config as possible. Nothing else running, in this way you are doing your own diagnosis, removing possibly affecting elements. Then if the problem goes away then you can add each back in one by one until you find the culprit. If it changes nothing then it excludes them.

FYI Photoshop on my old system starts in less than 8 seconds but Photoshop has many versions, you did not supply yours so we cannot compare, see what I mean?

What are the speeds of your drives? Do you have any 'interesting' additional tools running such as malwarebytes or project lasso?

In addition look at the power saving features of your drive and look at AAM/APM control, crystaldiskinfo is a useful tool. I am going to guess, however that when you turn defender off things may improve. IF not then keep digging.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Mar 5th, 2021 at 06:06 AM.

PowerPoster

As I mentioned, if you run it a second time, also by me it would open immediately. If a few hours went by since you tested it, try running the exe now and see if it runs immediately.
    Just ran your exe. Took about three seconds to display. No Windows Defender triggered this time. I also had completely rebooted my system today.

Yeah, it really is hard to diagnose your machine, Windows can be configured to many ways and only you know the machines history. That's why jmc had suggested trying your program on another machine first. But the problem seems to be on your machine. I am curious, if you shut down your machine and then restart it , does it still take 3hrs before the programs loads slow?

Lively Member

Ok, guys, thanks for the help. I understand from your replies and tests that it's something on my system. I was hoping that it's something know about Visual Studio that can be solved within the solution but I guess not.

I understand the logic about other running software, HDD speeds, etc, however, if any of these were the issue, they would technically affect other software (not mine), but they don't. Photoshop was just an example but I use many programs for all sorts of things, including editing and rendering DLSR video, with no speed issue. My system is carefully monitored periodically (manually) with various software and I don't have any issues with any other aspect of the system other than my own VS programs.

So yes, even if the issue would not exist say in safe mode (which I haven't tried), which would hint that some running process is causing this, it wouldn't explain why it's causing this only on my own, small VS programs.

I've been living with this for many years so if it's not a simple solution in VS, I think I'll let it go for now.

Thank you all again for your help.

Actually chap, not quite how it works. IF you wake people up and start to engage their busy brains in an effort to help you, you need to do at least two things:

a. In the first place, supply the information about your config so that they can help you...

and once you have the help engaged -

b. Do the right thing and keep them posted about the steps you take to resolve the problem and let them know the final solution, closing off the thread when that solution is found. Once you have asked for help it is the "done thing" not to leave the kind-hearted in the lurch. This thread will then act as a source of help for anyone with a similar problem. Please ensure you update.

Lively Member

I would have definitely updated. Anyway, here you can download the reports of my system. Should have all that one would need. (forum wouldn't upload to here) https://mega.nz/file/wZxDzIYJ#2EG6eM...JGXuJTUQmebagU

So yes, even if the issue would not exist say in safe mode (which I haven't tried), which would hint that some running process is causing this, it wouldn't explain why it's causing this only on my own, small VS programs.
    Actually, it could have been very telling. There would have been a couple of things to look at. Once you eliminate all of the other external variables, then we could have started looking at other things. Honestly the first thing that jumped to my mind was the JIT kicking in. First time it needs to run to build the app to run it. It runs faster the second time because it's been cached. But later runs you claim seem to be taking forever as well... that could be indicative of something doing some cleanup that it shouldn't be doing. So you havve two things working against you. The JIT, and what ever is doing disk cleanup. But for what ever reason, you're not willing to take the time to run a white room and take a look. So like the owl in the Tootsie pop commercial, we may never know. You can't compare start up times of one app to another unless they are bulit the same. Last I checked Photoshop was not a .NET app, so it's startup is completely different. That's a gazelle. We're talking about a thoroughbred horse here. It's not even an apple to apple comparison.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *