Thread: Client Server Question

Addicted Member

Client Server Question

i found an example from here multi login server and client.
    i tested it with a friend online using noip.org or net and it works fine.

also read about puting a text file in server wonder how that works.
    i had to keep the server.exe open so that who ever is out their with the client can connect to me,my question is how can i make this server work from online rather then me or others need to run server.exe.

Can server be implemented with client source run the client and it has server on it listening for connections.
    Make a stand-alone client exe who ever in the world opens it they just click connect, and they are able to connect to anybody who has client open?.

the noip address that has been added to server.txt is assigned with my ip so this means others will need to make noip for others to join with their server?

PowerPoster

Re: Client Server Question

Quote Originally Posted by doberman2002 View Post
    Can server be implemented with client source run the client and it has server on it listening for connections.
    Make a stand-alone client exe who ever in the world opens it they just click connect, and they are able to connect to anybody who has client open?.
    Here is a critical thinking question for you to ponder. How would this software know who else was running this software in order to connect to them?

An analogy would be this website and your question and my answer. If this website (the server) didn't exist, you wouldn't have a place to pose your question, and I wouldn't be answering it.

Good luck.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Here is a critical thinking question for you to ponder. How would this software know who else was running this software in order to connect to them?

An analogy would be this website and your question and my answer. If this website (the server) didn't exist, you wouldn't have a place to pose your question, and I wouldn't be answering it.

Good luck.
    i read about ssh.
    remote desktop
    what do you think of them am just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by doberman2002 View Post
    i read about ssh.
    remote desktop
    what do you think of them am just asking.
    Both irrelevant.

Here's a better annalogy, and with the lines drawn... you want to tell your buddy something... what do you do? send them a text... but in order to do that, you need their number right?
    It's the samething... you're the client, you're buddy is the server... in order for you/client to connect to your buddy/th server, you need to know how to get a hold of hte other end - via phone number or IP address... that's where that text file comes in... it's acting as an address book.

OK, so using a file isn't the only way. Just like knowing your buddy's number isn't the only way to send a message. Unfortunately I need to head out to PT so I don't have the time to do go into details... but TL;DR is that you need something centralized that everything can connect to at some point and "register" so that others can see who is online.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

what other service or method i can use than noip.org am after your suggestions.

Most people don't have a static IP address on the internet. They get a different address from their provider on a regular basis. This makes thing like peer to peer connecting a bit difficult sometimes because you don't know what addresses to use from day to day. Companies like noip.org "solve" that by providing ddns services - dynamic domain name service services .... by using your mac address they keep track of what your changing IP address is, and in return they give you a static address that you can give out to others so they can connect to you. That's all that that service provides. It's nothing magical.

So it may or may not provide any benefit to you. Currently as I see it, it provides no benefit in answering your question. The short of it, is that in order for two clients to talk to each other, they need to know about each other somehow. Often a lot of these peer to peer client chats work like this, when you login, it sends a signal to a central server that say "Hey, I'm here, and here's my address!" ... .then when another client logs in, it does the same. When one wants to talk to the other, it uses the registry to look up the address, and initiates the handshake to begin the process and the clients can then talk directly to each other.

To get into what you specifically requested, where each client is also a node, where it's 100% distributed and there is no central server what so ever, I think is a bit more complicated. Because when a client comes on, it needs to notify other nodes, it's out there, so how would it do that? send a general beacon out to everything out there on the web? That's not as much fun or as efficient as you might think it is. Ideally, there would be a central server, or even a series of servers in communication with each other,so that when one is updated, it can easily communicate it to the others.

TL;DR; a host that will allow you to run a database of some kind and a web sevice

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Most people don't have a static IP address on the internet. They get a different address from their provider on a regular basis. This makes thing like peer to peer connecting a bit difficult sometimes because you don't know what addresses to use from day to day. Companies like noip.org "solve" that by providing ddns services - dynamic domain name service services .... by using your mac address they keep track of what your changing IP address is, and in return they give you a static address that you can give out to others so they can connect to you. That's all that that service provides. It's nothing magical.

So it may or may not provide any benefit to you. Currently as I see it, it provides no benefit in answering your question. The short of it, is that in order for two clients to talk to each other, they need to know about each other somehow. Often a lot of these peer to peer client chats work like this, when you login, it sends a signal to a central server that say "Hey, I'm here, and here's my address!" ... .then when another client logs in, it does the same. When one wants to talk to the other, it uses the registry to look up the address, and initiates the handshake to begin the process and the clients can then talk directly to each other.

To get into what you specifically requested, where each client is also a node, where it's 100% distributed and there is no central server what so ever, I think is a bit more complicated. Because when a client comes on, it needs to notify other nodes, it's out there, so how would it do that? send a general beacon out to everything out there on the web? That's not as much fun or as efficient as you might think it is. Ideally, there would be a central server, or even a series of servers in communication with each other,so that when one is updated, it can easily communicate it to the others.

TL;DR; a host that will allow you to run a database of some kind and a web sevice

-tg
    ok fine i understand,so to use a host with a database mysql,do i create a registration front end where people register to create usernames,and what about server though how do i set that up so they can connect to the online server rather then a small server.exe

setup online service not sure who provides and how to do it.
    then connect using vb6

PowerPoster

The questions you are asking make it seem like you have no concrete concept of what is involved with writing a game that operates in a client/server environment. It is highly doubtful that you will find anyone here willing to hand-hold you through the entire process of you getting up to speed out of the goodness of their heart.

To me, this is an extension of this other thread of yours:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5426169

where passel outlined exactly why you aren't likely to get a bunch of people willing to write your game server/client code for you.

Good luck.

Addicted Member

Never Mind.
    Xmpp

Hyperactive Member

You could use a web site to give you the current address of the server. Web sites have a static address. When the server app is started the first thing it does is connect to the web site and upload a file containing the current IP of the server. This IP is good as long as the server is up and running waiting for a connection from a client. Now, the client already knows the name of the web site so when the client app is started the first thing it does is connect to this web site and download the file containing the IP of the server and uses this IP to connect to the server which hopefully should already be listing for your connection.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Both irrelevant.

Here's a better annalogy, and with the lines drawn... you want to tell your buddy something... what do you do? send them a text... but in order to do that, you need their number right?
    It's the samething... you're the client, you're buddy is the server... in order for you/client to connect to your buddy/th server, you need to know how to get a hold of hte other end - via phone number or IP address... that's where that text file comes in... it's acting as an address book.

-tg
    On a sidenote: Let's take TeamViewer for example.
    You want to connect to the remote Computer using TeamViewer.
    What do you need? The TeamViewer-ID of your Buddy. You enter this TeamViewer-ID in your TV-Client, but what does your TV-Client exactly do?
    Yes, it looks up the TV-ID of your Buddy on the TeamViewer-Servers (!) "Who has TV-ID 123456789? Ah, yes, right now it's IP 123.456.789.012. Relay it through"

I know that for a fact, since i was once in that situation. My Dad's Laptop got stolen, and it had TeamViewer running on it.
    And i caught the thief using the Laptop with my TeamViewer-Client (he didn't even notice it running). I have an account with TeamViewer, so i see immediatly when a registered TV-Client connects.
    The Police got a warrant for TeamViewer-Company to provide the IP-Logs to the given TeamViewer-ID.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad