Thread: VB6 IDE closes misteriously

PowerPoster

VB6 IDE closes misteriously

Today I started to have a strange problem.
    I leave the IDE openned with a project that I'm working, then I take a break, I open FireFox, go to FaceBook or Youtube, write a couple of comments (I mention these things just to say that I don't do anything strange), then I look and realize that the VB6 taskbar icon is now closed.
    And VB6.exe doesn't close normally because when I open it again, the last project in the MRU is not the one that I had opened but some older one. That means that it crashes.

This never happened to me before.
    Anyone experienced crashes when the IDE is in the background?
    Any idea about how to investigate the issue?

I don't rememeber I've done anything in the last days that could corrupt something.
    Today because of this problem I restored Windows to a restore point of 10 days ago. But anyway the issue happened again after the restoration.
    I still didn't reinstall VB6, that will be the next thing to do. But I don't understand what could have happened.

The only thing I remember is that the Adobe Flash plugin was updated and the Windows Defender also was updated.
    And after the restoration the first thing I did was to allow both to update.
    Perhaps Windows Defender now is crashing the VB6 IDE?

Fanatic Member

Re: VB6 IDE closes misteriously

Are there any UserControls in the project?
    Does the same problem happen when you just start VB with a new project, then leave it at that?

Try disabling all Add-ins if it happens regardless of what project you use.

Also, doing a system restore would revert your EXE's back to what they were 10 days ago, so you need to recompile them.

If you have a backup copy of the source, you can use WinMerge to see what changes you have made.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by qvb6 View Post
    Are there any UserControls in the project?
    Yes, but 1) they are exactly the same as before and 2) the were no forms opened in design mode, just a couple of code modules.

Does the same problem happen when you just start VB with a new project, then leave it at that?
    I still don't know. It happened about 5 times so far. And I can't predict when it is goig to happen.
    Then it always happened with the project I'm working on.

Try disabling all Add-ins if it happens regardless of what project you use.
    They are all disabled. I'm used to have all add-ins disabled and enable them only when I want to use some.
    That was the first thing I checked after the first crash (if I had any add-in that loads at startup).

The last thing I did before this issue started to happen was to experiment with some add-ins that I have, because I've been researching something due to a forum question from Elroy.
    There are in their source's folders some VB*.tmp new files that VB created when I ran the add-ins in the IDE, but I don't think that they could do anything if the add-ins are not running.
    Anyway now I deleted them all.

Also, doing a system restore would revert your EXE's back to what they were 10 days ago, so you need to recompile them.
    I only restored C: and my programs are in D:
    BTW after the restoration Google Chrome didn't start any more, I had to reinstall it. That was also strange.

If you have a backup copy of the source, you can use WinMerge to see what changes you have made.
    I really don't think that it could be something with the things I'm working, because I'm working in "normal" things these days, nothing to do with subclassing or using CopyMemory or new APIs or things that could be running in the IDE at design time. I have many things subclassed but they are exactly as they were a couple of weeks ago at least.

I'll have to also pass an antivirus (for just in case).

Thanks you for sharing your ideas.

PowerPoster

I have something suspicious: I'm working in a routine that writes to some pictureboxes and makes lines with the PictureBox.Line (x1, y1)-(x2, y2) method.
    From time to time, it appears an error that tells me that .Line is not a known method (or something like that).
    Since the program is break mode at that time, that forces me to erase all the code of the routine that use .Line and close the running program to return to design time in the IDE. Then I can restore the code with Control+Z.

This is an old bug, I rememeber it happened to me in some circunstances since I use VB6.
    I continue working after the error appears, but it might be the cause of the posterior crash... perhaps...

PowerPoster

Here I work with multiple PCs and a KVM switch, I have in the past had a VB project open in the IDE, switched computers and forgotten about it. The PCs generally run 24/7 so I have on at least a few occasions had a project open for days sometimes while on another PC and sometimes while doing any manner of things on that PC, checking web sites an email while a VB project is open is common place. I have never ran into any such issue.

I rarely ever use user controls and pretty much never use the .Line method.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Here I work with multiple PCs and a KVM switch, I have in the past had a VB project open in the IDE, switched computers and forgotten about it. The PCs generally run 24/7 so I have on at least a few occasions had a project open for days sometimes while on another PC and sometimes while doing any manner of things on that PC, checking web sites an email while a VB project is open is common place. I have never ran into any such issue.

I rarely ever use user controls and pretty much never use the .Line method.
    But to me that begun to happen just yesterday.

Anyway I think I already found the cause (I'm still not 100% sure, but almost), I think it is this old VB bug that I explained in #4.
    VB crashed after a while after I had that error a moment ago. The only weird and new thing to me is that I never experienced in the past the IDE crashing when it is left open but I'm doing something else.
    It usually crashes when is about to show intellisense, or opening a form, but it never happened to me in the past that crashed being alone.

I'll keep testing.

Fanatic Member

Start Object Browser(F2), then search for "Line", and see how many properties or methods that come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    The last thing I did before this issue started to happen was to experiment with some add-ins that I have, because I've been researching something due to a forum question from Elroy.
    Hi Eduardo,

I have also been working on that Add-In this week, the one where I'm using a SetWindowsHookEx with WH_MOUSE. I can tell you that I'm crashing the IDE fairly regularly, both the one where I'm developing the Add-In and the one where I'm loading/testing the Add-In. These hooks are very touchy about the way you use them. Most notably, if you have a runtime error while in the hook's procedure, that's almost a guaranteed crash. Also, I've learned that we must pay attention to the nCode argument...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx
    nCode ... A code that the hook procedure uses to determine how to process the message. If nCode is less than zero, the hook procedure must pass the message to the CallNextHookEx function without further processing and should return the value returned by CallNextHookEx.
    Also, and I'm sure you already know this, but we've got to make sure we unhook in our AddinInstance_OnDisconnection call, or we'll still have problems even if we disable our Add-In.

My hook is fairly stable at the moment (other than when I cause a runtime error). Here's the first few lines of code in my hook module:

Code:

Dim mhMouseHook     As Long
    '

Public Sub HookMouse()
        Const WH_MOUSE As Long = 7&
        mhMouseHook = SetWindowsHookExA(WH_MOUSE, AddressOf MouseProc, App.hInstance, App.ThreadID)
    End Sub

Public Sub UnhookMouse()
        If mhMouseHook Then
            Call UnhookWindowsHookEx(mhMouseHook)
            mhMouseHook = 0&
        End If
    End Sub

Private Function MouseProc(ByVal nCode As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
        MouseProc = CallNextHookEx(mhMouseHook, nCode, wParam, lParam)          ' Let Windows process everything before we proceed.
        If nCode < 0& Then Exit Function                                        ' Windows tells us to do this.
        If EbMode <> 0& Then Exit Function                                      ' Let's make sure we're not running (or in break mode).

I'm not sure if that's your problem or not, but it certainly seems like it could be.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Start Object Browser(F2), then search for "Line", and see how many properties or methods that come up.
    It is the Line method of the PictureBox that causes the error.
    As I said it is a known (at least known to me) VB6 bug.

But I couldn't say how to reproduce it.
    It can appear when editing the source code in break mode inside a procedure that has the PictureBox.Line method in its code.

I also experienced a similar problem, perhaps related when adding a component project to an exe project as a project group. After that if I try to run the project group I get an error message telling me that .Picture is not a known member. The solution is to save the project group, close the IDE and run it again, opening the project group already saved.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Hi Eduardo,

I have also been working on that Add-In this week, the one where I'm using a SetWindowsHookEx with WH_MOUSE. I can tell you that I'm crashing the IDE fairly regularly, both the one where I'm developing the Add-In and the one where I'm loading/testing the Add-In. These hooks are very touchy about the way you use them. Most notably, if you have a runtime error while in the hook's procedure, that's almost a guaranteed crash. Also, I've learned that we must pay attention to the nCode argument...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

Also, and I'm sure you already know this, but we've got to make sure we unhook in our AddinInstance_OnDisconnection call, or we'll still have problems even if we disable our Add-In.

My hook is fairly stable at the moment (other than when I cause a runtime error). Here's the first few lines of code in my hook module:

Code:

Dim mhMouseHook     As Long
    '

Public Sub HookMouse()
        Const WH_MOUSE As Long = 7&
        mhMouseHook = SetWindowsHookExA(WH_MOUSE, AddressOf MouseProc, App.hInstance, App.ThreadID)
    End Sub

Public Sub UnhookMouse()
        If mhMouseHook Then
            Call UnhookWindowsHookEx(mhMouseHook)
            mhMouseHook = 0&
        End If
    End Sub

Private Function MouseProc(ByVal nCode As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
        MouseProc = CallNextHookEx(mhMouseHook, nCode, wParam, lParam)          ' Let Windows process everything before we proceed.
        If nCode < 0& Then Exit Function                                        ' Windows tells us to do this.
        If EbMode <> 0& Then Exit Function                                      ' Let's make sure we're not running (or in break mode).

I'm not sure if that's your problem or not, but it certainly seems like it could be.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Yes Elroy, but I tested your add-in (*) running it perhaps a couple of times some days ago, but now I don't have any add-in running, not anyone loading when the IDE starts.
    And I have deleted your add-in source code from the disk after I tried it.

What I ran more times and made a new add-in project was an add-in of mine (but it doesn't use a hook). I was testing to have events for design time: when a form is opened, when a control is added to a form, when a control is selected, and at the end, thanks to qvb6 that informed about three hidden events I was able to add events for when the compilation starts or it enters run time mode and design time mode.

This project generated a couple of VB*.tmp files in the project's folder, those file were left there after I closed the project (not I deleted them).
    I was suspecting of VB6 doing something with those files even if I had no add-ins loaded but now I very much inclined to think that the problem is a VB bug with the .Line method of the PictureBox that I've experiencing while working yesterday, as I say in my previous message.

Thank you.

(*) Edit: I think it wasn't an add-it but a normal project that you posted that used a hook.

You can run VB IDE under "normal" debugger like VS 2015 (or later) and reduce guesswork by inspecting the call-stack when exception/crash occurs.

Nowadays I usually spend most of my debugging-time on such second level of Inception (2010) - IMDb... at least :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

I think it wasn't an add-it but a normal project that you posted that used a hook.
    I'm pretty sure I've posted both. I'm currently working on an Add-In that uses that hook. Once I get a bit closer, I'll post it in a couple of days.

---------------

Also, regarding those TMP files, I've gotten to where I just always delete them when I see them. I'm not sure why, but I sometimes get half-a-dozen with this Add-In I'm developing. I also routinely delete the DCA file. I think it was Wqweto that told me about that one. I wish VB6 would do a better job of cleaning up after itself.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I figured out the problem you're having.

When you compile these Add-In DLLs, sometimes they default to "ALL" for "Load Behavior" under the "Add-In Manager...". So, if/when you compile an Add-In that will crash your program, if it compiles for "ALL", it will crash all subsequent loads of the VB6 IDE. The only way to solve it is to identify the offending Add-In and delete its DLL. Then, the next time the VB6 IDE loads, it'll tell you it can't find it, and ask if you'd like to remove it from the list.

I'm still unclear when this "ALL" behavior gets set when compiling these Add-Ins. It seems that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. It may have something to do with whether or not you'd loaded a successful version before, and told it how to load.

Take Care,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

I figured out the problem you're having.

When you compile these Add-In DLLs, sometimes they default to "ALL" for "Load Behavior" under the "Add-In Manager...". So, if/when you compile an Add-In that will crash your program, if it compiles for "ALL", it will crash all subsequent loads of the VB6 IDE. The only way to solve it is to identify the offending Add-In and delete its DLL. Then, the next time the VB6 IDE loads, it'll tell you it can't find it, and ask if you'd like to remove it from the list.

I'm still unclear when this "ALL" behavior gets set when compiling these Add-Ins. It seems that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. It may have something to do with whether or not you'd loaded a successful version before, and told it how to load.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Elroy, I don't think my problem had to do with add-ins.
    And since add-ins are the first thing I suspect every time I have an IDE crash, they are always all disabled by default.
    From time to time I load Mz-Tools when I want to do something specific, and not much more.
    I really would like to have a good add-in environment, but VB6 add-in environment is very buggy.

I tried in the past to develop an add-in to replace one control type with another one. For example all SStab controls with SStabEx and vice versa. All CommandButton with ButtonEx. But there is no way to get the image of the stdPicture type properties of the controls due to a bug. I could read the stdFont type properties but not the Picture. No way. Reading the frx file would be a solution, but then what is the point of programming an add-in if I have to read the frx, ctx and pgx file?
    Then I abandoned the idea.
    It would be good to have an add-in to upgrade/downgrade controls with an assistant, wouldn't it?

I also remember that there was a problem that caused VB to erase the content of the clipboard every time the IDE started (or closed?). That was due to having add-ins to load on startup? (I ask because I don't remember any more the cause, but I'm not having that problem now)

VB6 add-in environment is very buggy.
    Boy, I could't agree more with that statement.

For the past few days, I've been beating my head against the wall trying to sort out bugs in the Add-In environment to make this "Selected Controls" Add-In work. The moment I get it stable, I try to add some features and it starts giving me problems again.

Regarding the clipboard bug, that's only when you use a toolbar button for your Add-In, and you want it to have a custom picture on that button. If you don't use toolbar buttons, or if you use them but just stick with the standard VBA icons for their pictures, you can stay away from that bug.

There are others though. For instance the .InSelection property of Designer controls is very buggy. I've been fighting that one most of the day. Even though MSDN says read/write, I've learned to just treat it as read-only. It sometimes crashes the IDE when you try to set .InSelection = False. A work-around it to just clear the entire .SelectedVBControls collection and start over. Setting .InSelection = True doesn't seem to cause any problems. <--- Mostly just venting frustrations with the Add-In environment.

I'm glad you got your problem sorted.

Elroy

PowerPoster

I'm glad you got your problem sorted.
    I'm not very sure that the cause was the .Line bug, or that it was only it.
    But I'm quite confident that it was the cause because several times that I experienced that error then a while after that I had a crash.

But also, working on other things, I was comparing old versions of a program that is component (a DLL), and saw that sometimes when closing the IDE I experienced crashes.
    In later Windows we don't see anything in the crashes (as it was in older Windows version) but I can realize it crashed because when I open the IDE again the MRU is not updated.

BTW, in Windows 10 if I start the IDE with normal user rights, and try to load a project that use a control from an OCX that is not registered, for example a MSFlexGrid, it crashes. I need to open that project the first time with the IDE running as admin. That is very annoying.

PowerPoster

My IDE has definitively a problem. It crashes when I perform a text search, but only sometimes.

I'll have to reinstall VB6.

It crashes when I perform a text search, but only sometimes.
    Are you running SP6? That sounds like a problem they had before they got to SP6. Or, I might be thinking of an earlier version of VB, but I believe it was one of the first releases of VB6. The search function would crash (or actually hang) under certain circumstances.

PowerPoster

Are you running SP6? That sounds like a problem they had before they got to SP6. Or, I might be thinking of an earlier version of VB, but I believe it was one of the first releases of VB6. The search function would crash (or actually hang) under certain circumstances.
    Yes, it is SP6.
    Now I already reinstalled VB.
    And I had already one crash, but I was in the procedure where there are several PictureBox.Line methods and I was debugging in break mode.
    The new thing this time was that I didn't get an error about .Line method not found but just a direct crash with no error message.

Besides that, it seems to be working fine now, I didn't get any other crash (and I searched many times already).

We definitely need a VB6 update.

Fanatic Member

Next time this happens, open two copies of VB6, one is your project, and the other a new project, then compare the list of "Line" methods in Object Browser(F2) in both projects. Something tells me that in your project, you have an extra Line method with different parameters. Moving that reference down might help.

The Line method is shown as a regular Sub in Object Browser:

Sub Line(Flags As Integer, X1 As Single, Y1 As Single, X2 As Single, Y2 As Single, Color As Long)

Which is not the same as Line method syntax, so VB does something to translate the parameters, perhaps using less sophisticated method than when compiling. If you don't have an extra Line method in References, then I would guess that VB doesn't translate the parameters properly, perhaps the expression is too complex for VB, try enclosing each parameter with parentheses, then save and restart VB, then check to see if it made the error go away.

Edited to add: Look for extra "-" and "," in your Line method call. It's possible that if you have in one of the Line method parameters a function call with several parameters, that VB is using a parser that is confusing the extra "," with when parameters should start or stop. Putting the result of a function call in a variable in the previous line, and use that variable instead might fix the problem assuming that it was the case here.
    Last edited by qvb6; Apr 21st, 2019 at 07:30 AM.

PowerPoster

Next time this happens, open two copies of VB6, one is your project, and the other a new project, then compare the list of "Line" methods in Object Browser(F2) in both projects. Something tells me that in your project, you have an extra Line method with different parameters. Moving that reference down might help.

The Line method is shown as a regular Sub in Object Browser:

Sub Line(Flags As Integer, X1 As Single, Y1 As Single, X2 As Single, Y2 As Single, Color As Long)

Which is not the same as Line method syntax, so VB does something to translate the parameters, perhaps using less sophisticated method than when compiling. If you don't have an extra Line method in References, then I would guess that VB doesn't translate the parameters properly, perhaps the expression is too complex for VB, try enclosing each parameter with parentheses, then save and restart VB, then check to see if it made the error go away.

Edited to add: Look for extra "-" and "," in your Line method call. It's possible that if you have in one of the Line method parameters a function call with several parameters, that VB is using a parser that is confusing the extra "," with when parameters should start or stop. Putting the result of a function call in a variable in the previous line, and use that variable instead might fix the problem assuming that it was the case here.
    1) I don't know whether it is a false memory, but I think I remember that error to happen in some circumstances from 15 years ago and in several projects.
    2) With the object browser I only see all Line methods from VB, and all have the same parameters.

Name:  Line-decl.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  47.6 KB

3) I implement the Printer interface in a class that implements the Line method, but I don't think that that has nothing to do.
    And anyway the declaration is exactly the same:
    Code:
    Private Sub Printer_Line(ByVal Flags As Integer, ByVal X1 As Single, ByVal Y1 As Single, ByVal X2 As Single, ByVal Y2 As Single, ByVal Color As Long)
    In any case, why I would get an error of the Line method of the PictureBox?

Thank you for your interest.

Are you only seeing problems with VB6? In one earlier post, you mentioned that Chrome had stopped working after some restore action you took. If problems are only occurring with VB6, then VB6 is likely the problem, but if you are seeing problems crop up in other programs, I'd be thinking of some kind of hardware failing, like some RAM cell, or an SSD on its way out, if you have an SSD.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

I have VB6+SP6, and when showing hidden members in a new project, this is all the matching "Line" methods/classes:

Name:  ObjectBrowserLineMethod.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  19.4 KB

It seems that you have something that remains registered, or re-regiseterd over and over, or you are not using a new project like I am. I don't have MS Office installed if that matters.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Are you only seeing problems with VB6? In one earlier post, you mentioned that Chrome had stopped working after some restore action you took. If problems are only occurring with VB6, then VB6 is likely the problem, but if you are seeing problems crop up in other programs, I'd be thinking of some kind of hardware failing, like some RAM cell, or an SSD on its way out, if you have an SSD.
    Chrome didn't start anymore after I restored the system, but I reinstalled it and now it works fine.
    It could have been another reason and not the system restore that caused it not to work, but I just know that I noticed it not working just after the system restoration.
    And no, I don't see problems in any other program.
    Anyway I wasn't using many programs these days, just Firefox, VB6, Notepad, the calculator...
    And I use Chrome because many times I have problems posting here in the forum with Firefox. And I know it is not a problem of my PC because I changed the PC and the problem persists.

But I do not believe there could be a hardware problem.

The problem of VB6 crashing... I'm quite used to it. From time to time (several months, a year) I need to reinstall VB6 to avoid strange chashes, I don't know the cause and they cease after the reinstallation. And my guess is that it must be the same for everybody.
    I posted this message because I never experienced before VB6 crashing when not being used (being alone in the background).

PowerPoster

I have VB6+SP6, and when showing hidden members in a new project, this is all the matching "Line" methods/classes:

Name:  ObjectBrowserLineMethod.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  19.4 KB

It seems that you have something that remains registered, or re-regiseterd over and over, or you are not using a new project like I am. I don't have MS Office installed if that matters.
    What I posted was not a new project, for new projects I have the same as you have. What I posted was the actual project where the crashes occured.

It seems that VB adds Line references for each Form, UserControl and PropertyPage that the project has.