Thread: What code is this? I need to edit and compile .dll file for 64-bit compatibility

What code is this? I need to edit and compile .dll file for 64-bit compatibility

Hi everyone! This is my first post for a long time, I have only done a bit of VB6 programming and VBA in Excel in spreadsheets for my work as an engineer, so please excuse my inexperience!
    I had a graduate engineer, left a long time ago, write a spreadsheet with VBA which I have modified for 64-bit compatibility but have now hit a brick wall as it calls a DLL, which they also wrote. I have the original files used to compile the DLL, but no idea which file I need to launch or what program I need to edit them to 64-bit and compile again.

Files in main folder:
    Name:  Main Folder.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  23.2 KB

Files in Release folder:
    Name:  Release Folder.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  17.2 KB

Any advice or help would be gratefully appreciated as I feel completely out of my depth, I struggled to make the VBA code 64-bit compliant.

Thanks for reading.

Re: What code is this? I need to edit and compile .dll file for 64-bit compatibility

It appears to be a C++ project created in Visual Studio 6, which was the last version of VS before the .NET era. You may be able to open in a newer version of VS but I wouldn't bet on it.

PowerPoster

Re: What code is this? I need to edit and compile .dll file for 64-bit compatibility

No, it looks more like some version of Microsoft Fortran 90.

Without the exact compiler and related set of tools it may be hard to salvage this. Assuming the tools even install and run on any modern version of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    No, it looks more like some version of Microsoft Fortran 90.
    That makes sense, given the F90 file. I was looking at the Type column but I guess it's quite possible that Fortran projects used the same file extension as C++ projects.

The fact that Windows recognises those first two files as belonging to VS6 seems to suggest that you have something installed that understands them. The icon seems to suggest a recent version of VS though, so maybe that would be able to open an old C++ project but I very much doubt it would understand Fortran. You may be able to use a simple code editor or even Notepad to edit the code and use a commandline compiler to build. Not sure where you'd get that compiler from though, as I doubt that Microsoft provides it any more.

Many thanks jmcilhinney and dilettante for the helpful comments. I've just had a new company laptop and it's got MS Visual Studio 2017, but as I've only used VB6 I'm lost with it. I'll give it a go with Notepad to see if I can see the code. From there I can see if it can be written in newer code.
    Thanks again!

Note the current version of VS is 2022. The version you're got is 2 versions out of date (2019 then 2022).
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster

vs2015 had pgi visual fortran which can compile fortran90... not sure about newer versions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Note the current version of VS is 2022. The version you're got is 2 versions out of date (2019 then 2022).
    Thanks 2kaud, unfortunately this is the company approved version, they are usually at least one version behind with software, but it's an improvement on VB6 it replaced