Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11 coming soon

Re: Windows 11 coming soon

Did I mention somewhere that you can't write an OS??
    Of course the first OSes were created by individuals. Like CPM and DOS,
    The first versions of Minix and Linux were also created by single persons

I wrote that TheImp didn't not write an OS with VB6, it's maybe shell which depends on the current running OS.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Did I mention somewhere that you can't write an OS??
    Yes, you did in your reply but I missed the bit where TheImp said he wrote it in VB6. So, I agree, that would be rather difficult considering the runtime and the APIs &c &c.

However, I DID write my o/s in BASIC as it was the only language available and the system booted into BASIC as the shell. My disc OS was then really a non-bootable command line UI to Spectrum BASIC.

It was partially programmed using machine code and the intention was there to write the whole lot in m/c too but that project was never completed. To all intents and purposes though it was a DOS as Spectrum BASIC had no equivalent disc i/o and my OS-2 provided that (along with some custom hardware).

And not just the earliest oses are written by one man, Terry Davis is proof of that.

We have deviated to our earliest OS creations when the title of the thread is the latest OS creation. Oops, sorry.

Still I'd like to see The Imp's shell - "even so".

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    With the Search box turned off you can still click the "Start" button (or bash the Windows key) and begin typing to search. No need to take up TaskBar space.
    Really? For some reason I was thinking that did not work when it was hidden. I seem to remember being on a customers pc and had to use Win+R to get the run dialog up and either could not get the search dialog to come up or it was not working the way it does on others. Could be something else was going on with that system I suppose.

Now I am wanting to test it cause it does indeed take up a bit of space. I do not see an option to turn it off under taskbar settings. When do you access this option?

I still do not like the way they have all the settings ( or lack thereof ) laid out in Windows 10.

PowerPoster

Ok I found it now. Interesting when hidden the search box does not appear when you hit the Win key but it does respond to whatever you type after hitting the win key you just do not see the search box nor any indication of its presence until you start typing. I wasn't aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Yes, you did in your reply but I missed the bit where TheImp said he wrote it in VB6. So, I agree, that would be rather difficult considering the runtime and the APIs &c &c.
    I said
    Maybe you wrote a shell, but you didn't write an OS
    I explicitly said "you", referring to TheImp..
    Never said that an OS can't be created/written by a single other person

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    ?
    We know what you said, and I said what I said, and he said what he said, you asked a question and I answered it, when does this ever end?

By the way, I said the above. This forum...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    It works for me, but I use it only to start programs, not for anything else.
    Same here it is much faster and easier to locate and launch a program than trying to locate it in the start menu. I have also turned off any cortana features that I could. I set the search box to hidden now, hopefully I will remember to hit the win key next time I want to use it

PowerPoster

Glad you found it. Hope you remember how to turn it back on if you change your mind.

I kicked Cortana to the curb long ago, but I have Alexa installed instead. You might be surprised how many things it supports for home automation via devices on your network, music streaming services, etc.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 16th, 2021 at 02:59 PM.

if you want to see my OS built app, please PM your email address to me, then I could send you the source code of my OS app, then
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    if you want to see my OS built app, please PM your email address to me, then I could send you the source code of my OS app, then
    Just so you know and OS is software that you can install on a system that has nothing on it. It is not something that installs under Windows like programs built in VB6 do.

As mentioned earlier if you wrote something then it is most likely some kind of shell that runs on top of windows.

I am trying to write new runtime files, because that then would make it a free running version of my OS app, then so
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Well gosh, maybe you need to make a Facebook page or start a chat group to get more support.

That might be right, then so

Fanatic Member

A friend of mine downloaded Windows 11 and used it to upgrade an existing Windows 10 virtual machine. He didn't try installing the VB IDE from scratch but it ran just fine after the upgrade. VB programs compile and execute just fine too. No issues noted so far.

Attachment 181684

So far, but then what about the down the track, of the life of Visual Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbob View Post
    A friend of mine downloaded Windows 11 and used it to upgrade an existing Windows 10 virtual machine. He didn't try installing the VB IDE from scratch but it ran just fine after the upgrade. VB programs compile and execute just fine too. No issues noted so far.

Attachment 181684
    We did something similar because some of our third party software was 32 bit. We installed a Windows 7 virtual machine on a Windows 10 machine so we could compile on the 32 bit but still push out to 64 bit.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

All in all, the Visual Basic IDE will then continue to work under the Windows OS branded Operating System, hey

Here is another link about it:

https://www.xda-developers.com/windo...es-in-preview/

It claims it will be officially announced on the 24th.

Works Perfect!!! 100% full work!!

-- Oh dear???

-- Oh dear???
    Last few posts remind me of

Quote Originally Posted by this story. . .
    ---
    When I was leaving Montreal, I decided to stop at one of those rest areas on the side of the road.

I go into the washroom. The first stall is taken, so I go into the second stall. I had just sat down when I heard a voice from the other stall…

- Hi there, how is it going?

I'm thinking to myself, what the hell? Okay, I am not the type to strike up conversations with strangers in the loos on the side of the road. I didn't know what to say, so finally I say:

-Not bad…

Then the voice says:

- So, what are you doing?

I am starting to find this a bit weird and very uncomfortable, but I finally reply with:

- Well, I'm going back east…

Then I hear the person, all flustered, say:

- Look, I'll call you back honey--every time I ask you a question this idiot in the next stall keeps answering me!
    cheers,
    </wqw>

Omg lol

Great

Great
    Glad you like them:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks dude

It was announced yesterday. It won't "really" be out until the end of the year:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Microsoft has a tendency to produce a dud on alternate OS versions. Will 11 be better than 8, worse, or better than 10?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Personally I'd have said 8 and 10 were both duds. I do not see 11 shaping up to be a dud-killer. It looks to be more of a refinement of a strategy toward tablet-centric computing and a marketing refresh to let people know Microsoft Windows is still there.

I don't see many saying I really want what Windows 8 offered and I am sure we will hear a similar lack of nostalgia for Win10.

PowerPoster

I'm very surprised to see this, but so far everything about it seems to confirm that it's a rewarmed Windows 10X concept.

In particular it appears to be designed to help "clear the decks" of older hardware, raising requirements and forcing time to buy more on consumers.

I have tried the evaluation tool on several machines now. Some get rejected by the Installer package ("unsupported CPU hardware"), some get rejected as having inadequate RAM, boot drive space, boot drive type (eMMC-based mini-PCs seem to be cast on the dung heap), video card, or even monitor size. Even the lack of binding to a Microsoft Account or an Internet connection disqualifies a machine.

If people thought Vista held a candle to the suckage of Windows Me... they ain't seen nuthin' yet!

The response to those computer people around me is extremely negative with regard to the hardware requirements. Most are along the line of "I bought a top end machine 2-3 years ago, I spent a lot of money on it and I'm not planning to buy another for the next 3-5 years." and "it's crazy to tell your user base they'll need to buy a new machine for an upgrade to an OS!"

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    The response to those computer people around me is extremely negative with regard to the hardware requirements. Most are along the line of "I bought a top end machine 2-3 years ago, I spent a lot of money on it and I'm not planning to buy another for the next 3-5 years." and "it's crazy to tell your user base they'll need to buy a new machine for an upgrade to an OS!"
    So a Celeron is on the supported list and I am fairly sure that wasn't considered a top end machine in the last 2 - 3 years, quite frankly I doubt it was considered top in the last 2 - 3 decades.

Sorry? That seems a bit non sequitur. I think you missed the gist of what I was quoting from someone else.

He was saying he just spent a lot of cash on a machine and doesn't expect to not be able to upgrade it to a new os having spent that cash. Have I explained enough now?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    So a Celeron is on the supported list and I am fairly sure that wasn't considered a top end machine in the last 2 - 3 years, quite frankly I doubt it was considered top in the last 2 - 3 decades.
    I think you're mistaken.

They recycled that brand name a few years ago, they aren't talking about the earlier Celeron product line.

PowerPoster

They probably should have called it "Azure Terminal with Gaming" rather than "Windows 11."

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm very surprised to see this, but so far everything about it seems to confirm that it's a rewarmed Windows 10X concept.

In particular it appears to be designed to help "clear the decks" of older hardware, raising requirements and forcing time to buy more on consumers.

I have tried the evaluation tool on several machines now. Some get rejected by the Installer package ("unsupported CPU hardware"), some get rejected as having inadequate RAM, boot drive space, boot drive type (eMMC-based mini-PCs seem to be cast on the dung heap), video card, or even monitor size. Even the lack of binding to a Microsoft Account or an Internet connection disqualifies a machine.

If people thought Vista held a candle to the suckage of Windows Me... they ain't seen nuthin' yet!
    turn on xxx for hardware security in BIOS to get through the test if "unsupported CPU hardware", I heard from someone.

Edited: I go back of that web page, it called TPM state or fTPM in Advanced or Security options.
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Jun 25th, 2021 at 07:09 PM.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    turn on xxx for hardware security in BIOS to get through the test if "unsupported CPU hardware", I heard from someone.

Edited: I go back of that web page, it called TPM state or fTPM in Advanced or Security options.
    I have downloaded "PC Health Check" app, it indicated my Acer TravelMate P214 can't support Win11 due to TPM 2.0 is disabled, then I go to BIOS, I see the TPM state is disable, but I can't move cursor to turn on. I go to acer website to download and install new BIOS Z8I from version V1.05 to V1.27 (updated on June-21-2021), then Run "PC Health Check" app again, now it says "This PC can run Windows 11"!

PowerPoster

This prompted me to take a quick look around at currently available systems I might replace some by in order to support "Windows 11."

Wow, there sure is a lot of crap out there now. I don't ask for much, but I still want a couple of exposed full-width horizontal drive bays, at least one with a DVD or BD drive and a second one open for new hardware, and at least one 3.5" floppy sized to mount a multi-card socket for memory cards or perhaps a good old LS-120 SuperDrive.

Seems rare these days. Most seem to be sealed limited boxes now until you get into absurd power hungry "gaming rigs" or shabby DIY cases. But hey, no shortage of parasitic LED lighting enough to rival a Christmas tree. I guess they know their market: people are getting dumber. We're living in Idiocracy times (clips here).

Gee whizz, it sounds like windows 11 is real. i just found an email from a mate, about windows 11, then so

then so?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast