Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars we had, and now have

Cars we had, and now have

Over the last few days I've been seeing alot of classic cars being driven around, which reminded me of the good times I had with my light-blue 1975 BMW 318. It was my first car, which I brought for 500 D-Marks in 1991.

I never took a photo of it, but this is what it looked like, except without doubled headlights on each side:

Name:  f9b1be7829378be72ca86403af7b5591.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  41.4 KB

After restoring it's rusty undercarriage and engine compartment which was extremely easy to do, and installing factory rims, the car was like brand new! I loved it!

I did alot of road trips around Bayern on the weekends (going camping, lake trips, guesthaus to guesthaus), and raced it against buddies classics in what we called the hooptie races. It was such a great car, enjoyable to drive, until I severely wrecked it by avoiding a deer while going clubbing!

I slipped on black ice on the opposite lane (I was the only car on the road) which made me go off the road. After missing some trees since I was just coming out of the woods, my car went sideways and rollled more than 5 times, stopping in a ditch about a couple of feet from a farmer's field. After the shock I noticed my girlfriend wasn't in the car, but she wasn't thrown out of it, she just quickly got out and flagged someone down while I still had a death-grip on the steering wheel!

When the police arrived, they couldn't tell what kinda car it was. They thought it was an old Opel Kadett, until I told them it was a beamer. Anway, we had minor injuries, and was able to go home the same night after our hospital visit.

Anyway, it was good times drivin' it up till that point!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 16th, 2022 at 06:36 PM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Cars we all had, or now have

A 1980s BMW with an uncontrollable rear end? I can barely believe it...

My first car and I still have it.

A Triumph Spitfire MKII originally an 1147cc straight four with 63bhp. I upgraded the engine with a 1,400cc engine from a Le Mans replica. I dropped a Shorrocks supercharger which provided in excess of 110bhp, into it and blew the engine shortly after.

It now has a mildly souped engine with twin 1.25" carbs and a J-type De Normanville overdrive gearbox.

With the supercharger I could overtake a Golf GTi up a steep hill and leave a look of deep surprise on the driver's face

Edit : 1967
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; May 15th, 2022 at 02:43 PM.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

I suspect this is going to be a long thread...

My 'other' first car, ie. Mum paid for it, so although I drove it, mum paid for the lot.

A Vauxhall VX4/90 2.3 slant-four with overdrive.

Edit : 1973
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; May 15th, 2022 at 02:44 PM.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Nice car but the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Nice car but the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    No, all the wheels are on the original side, it is not our fault that you decided to go with revolutionary France and drive on the wrong side of the road just to disrupt the rest of the world that the French had conquered. Following the French is never a good thing to do.

My next car was a Reliant Scimitar

Originally a 3.0 litre V6 Essex with 130bhp from Ford , this was breathed upon with a polished and ported set of heads, Powermax pistons, a Vulkan high performance head and highlift cams giving approximately 200bhp in a fibreglass bodied car. Another car that would overtake modern motors with ease uphill. Plenty of torque, lots of bhp and not too fat and heavy (like American cars...).

Edit : 1973
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; May 15th, 2022 at 03:02 PM.

Maserati 430 Biturbo 2.8 V6, dog-leg first Getrag gearbox, 250bhp and a 0-60mph of 5.7 seconds, still supercar territory in 1995 when I had mine.

The roof-lining was deep plush suede leather so it was just as comfortable if you rolled it. The Sens-u-Tork intelligent rear axle saved my life at least once. Highly advanced for a road car at the time. Also had a Cartier solid gold clock on the dash to impress the ladies.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; May 15th, 2022 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    A 1980s BMW with an uncontrollable rear end? I can barely believe it...
    My 1975 beamer didn't have the power as the 1980's version. Just for the record, I was doing the speed limit when I wrecked it in 1994.

This is what it looked like from what I found online, but I don't remember if it had a sunroof.

Name:  bmw-e21-495x377.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  221.6 KB

Too bad I never took a photo of it.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 15th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.

My next car was a 1980s Opel Kadett. That was also a fun car to drive! Alot easier since it was front wheel drive. Great in the winter!

I drove it until I cracked it's engine in 1998, after making the mistake of adding cold water to it's radiator, when I discovered it was empty at a gas station.

I wanted to fix it, but I couldn't find a used engine at the first junkyards I visited. The last place had one that was burried under two cars, but the guy there didn't want to unstack them!

I ended up junking it at another yard.

Anyway, it looked exactly like this:

Name:  5abca287-2754-4d7d-bef4-ccef9367b61f?rule=mo-640.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  51.2 KB

My last blue car.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 15th, 2022 at 03:43 PM.

My next car was a Reliant Scimitar
    Love the look of the Scimitar! Are these your photos, or you found what came close to it online?

Looking at your cars, none of mine have their power.

I almost brought a BMW E24 635CSi years ago, but the seller bailed on me when he found someone willing to pay more for it.

Name:  1024px-E24_635CSi_wiki.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  47.9 KB
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 15th, 2022 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    My next car was a 1980s Opel Kadett.
    So...you wrecked the one car so bad that the police thought it was an Opel Kadett...and you decided that was your fate?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

The spittie is my own photo, I took next to no photos at all of the Scimitar and the Maserati at the time - but they are the same models and colours and year. I probably have a non-digital photo in an album somewhere of each - but I'd have to find them.

The Scimitar is a good looking and powerful car and was driven by Princess Anne, who had a few of the type.

This is another of mine - Jaguar S-type 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So...you wrecked the one car so bad that the police thought it was an Opel Kadett...and you decided that was your fate?
    A local was selling it, and I needed a car right away!

The police thought it was an older model of the Kadett:

Name:  145926_3.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.9 KB

...until they saw the BMW insignia on the steering wheel.

The spittie is my own photo, I took next to no photos at all of the Scimitar and the Maserati at the time - but they are the same models and colours and year. I probably have a non-digital photo in an album somewhere of each - but I'd have to find them.
    The spitfire is nice, but a little too small for me. I have to have back seats so I have room to adjust the fronts.

I have photos of me changing one of my tires from my Kadett. Just was too lazy to pull them from my basement. Anyway, it doesn't compare to what you had.

I am just over 6ft, and trust me, the Spittie has plenty of leg room. This particular roomy aspect is assisted by the fact that it has no roof, so to get in and out, you merely need to stand up.

When you drive in a convertible for the first time you just get this novel feeling of 'up'.

A buddy of mine bought a Spitfire a couple years back. It was in great shape, but he did some work on it and is now selling it for a considerable profit.

I'm a ways over 6ft, and found that I fit quite well in the car...though I also felt that I could drag my fingers on the pavement had I been so foolish. It's hard to be seen in that car, at least in the US where most every car is BIG.

In the Spittie you CAN drag your arms on the ground if your arms are long. Mine are long.
    You can also definitely touch the spinning rear tyre if you hang your arm over the side - and you don't need long arms for that.

I prefer to do that when the tire is NOT spinning. Just seems safer that way.

We're trying to tire of tyre again.

PowerPoster

Re: Cars we had, and now have

So nobody had a Lotus Seven like Patrick McGoohan's?

I did have a British Racing Green with a yellow mouth bonnet MKII spitfire that I broke for parts and its number plate was GUV 381 C.

Wish I had kept it but it was SO rusty.

PowerPoster

Yeah, I see a lot of guys on YouTube get excited about restoring "barn finds" they they eventually have to admit defeat to.

Vauxhall Firenza 1800cc - this one ended up buried underground. We moved house and dug a hole with a traxcavator and pushed it in. Bits are still ploughed up to this very day.

This is a generic image, it isn't the actual car but when the original was washed and spruced up, it wasn't far off, same colour, same vinyl roof, different wheels.

WHY? What's the point behind burying a car...well, unless it has a body in it...no, even then...why?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    WHY? What's the point behind burying a car...well, unless it has a body in it...no, even then...why?
    It was the village vehicle until it broke down, and since the nearest mechanic was 100 miles away, the locals used whatever equipement they had to bury it in the land that yereverluvinuncleber donated, returning it back to Earth.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 18th, 2022 at 04:04 AM.

That's roughly right. It was a 1971 Vauxhall, therefore it was rusting, the engine was tired and we had a biggish hole already dug. My friend's land was ex-municipal land (he had bought the old Victorian gatehouse) and the land had some big holes all over it from extraction. An old traxcavator was one of the left overs on the site, and of course, it worked after some tinkering. We drove the car to old age (by then it was 15 years old) and then we raced it round the land, after numerous bashes and smashes we dug a hole and pushed it in.

This was another car that we drove to extinction around that ex-municipal land

Another VX4/90, this time an earlier model, an FD, 2000cc slant four, overdrive, bought for parts but used as a cross-country track car. Cut to pieces with an axe...

Edit: 1971 FD
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; May 18th, 2022 at 03:28 PM.

My first car was a 2004 Ford Escort. I totaled it by rear-ending someone which my only accident where I was found at fault; which it totally was, I was 16/17 years old and I just sort of spaced out.

My next car was a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. This was the absolute worst piece of junk that I ever owned. If you turned too hard left, the engine would completely shutoff. The transmission went out after 80k miles.

After that I owned a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. I purchased it from a coworker's grandfather who decided to stop driving in 2012. I will never forget that when I bought it, it had just shy of 40k miles on it after 12 years.

I then traded that in for a 2006 Lincoln MKZ. I absolutely loved this car. But, with a growing family and a need for more car seat space, I traded it in for my vehicle I have now, a 2015 Ford F150 Sport Edition.

From around 2013 until 2018 I did own a 1978 Ford Mustang II that I was restoring. The furthest I ever drove it was from Lake Charles to Houma and back; Jesus Christ those roads were rough in that chunk of steel. I had just replaced the transmission in it and I *think* that I might have replaced the hatchback (the old one was rusting out and I bought a second one from a junkyard). The last thing to do was paint and interior (carpeting, upholstery, etc.) but a small hurricane, heck it could have even been a tropical storm, came through and it knocked down the top of the pecan tree we had right on top of the Mustang. Of course it had to hit right at the A pillar and the whole middle part of the body just sagged a little bit towards the ground. So I sold it to another Mustang II enthusiast for parts.

That was the saddest day I ever had towards a vehicle.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

My first was a 1981 Sky Blue Ford Fiesta 1.3. In the words of Steve Earl "Me and my Uncle tore that engine down" (we swapped the carburettor for a twin and tweaked the timing )

Coincidentally I recently bought another blue car. A Dark Metallic Blue 2018 Jaguar XF. I'm clearly having a mid-life crisis because I become inappropriately aroused just looking at it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Don't you have to have two of those? Are you even ALLOWED to buy just one?

An ex-gas board mini van - the real thing.

Floor rotted through, fuel tank split and it was sold to a Mini mad enthusiast. Fantastic through the bends of Oxfordshire driving through Wallingford to Henley-on-Thames - one of my memorable regular driving experiences.

A car I regret letting go. Bought at a mere 36,000 miles. A 2.5 litre immensely smooth V6 producing 190bhp, automatic gearbox.

I loved this car. Still sad I let it go.

The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

My usual response. I imagine the engineering is in place to allow them to all be re-sited for those revolutionaries that wish to disrupt the normal passage of traffic.

Still, a nice looking car though.

A car I regret letting go
    Sadly my only experience of a Rover was terrible but I always loved the look of the 75.

Don't you have to have two of those?
    Only if you're a Labour politician.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I always heard that you needed two so that you have something to drive while the other is in the shop.

Ha! They don't have a great reputation for reliability but I've found them pretty good. This is my second (though not simultaneous).

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    but I always loved the look of the 75.
    The 75 was a delight to drive, BMW electrics that cured any electrical reliability problems that Rover had, a body that won't rust, leather interior to die for. A silky smooth V6 that had all the earlier problems cured. Cheap as chips now.
    I drive a CDT now that has the BMW 2.0 diesel engine. Picture yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    My first car was a 2004 Ford Escort. I totaled it by rear-ending someone which my only accident where I was found at fault; which it totally was, I was 16/17 years old and I just sort of spaced out.
    Every accident I've had was due to deers. I wrecked my European Ford Fusion (my favorite car) after colliding with two small deers running side-by-side across the street. Both of them got stuck in my right wheel well, causing me to lose control until I hit a tree head-on!

My Fusion is a small mpv, but the previous owner had it modified to be higher off the ground, thicker tires, with a snorkle attached due serious flooding around our area when it rains. Anyway, it should've rolled over the deers, but somehow they got kicked up into it's wheel well.

This is what it looked like before it was modified:

Name:  gw0211-ford-fusion-2002-2012.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 20th, 2022 at 07:44 PM.

a body that won't rust, leather interior to die for.
    That almost describes a cow....except that they have a leather exterior, not interior. And just to be clear, they are the ones doing the dying for the leather.

I chose the styling on my current car to explicitly avoid leather. Living in a desert, where we average 427 days of sun a year (it only feels that way, the winters are all inversion...and most years have fewer days than that), you want seats that won't burn you when you sit on them.

PowerPoster

I chose the styling on my current car to explicitly avoid leather. Living in a desert, where we average 427 days of sun a year (it only feels that way, the winters are all inversion...and most years have fewer days than that), you want seats that won't burn you when you sit on them.
    Same where I live. Go jump in a car with leather seats after it's been sitting in the summer sun for a couple of hours when your wearing shorts, that will get your attention. Cloth is much more comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast