Thread: where is vs2022 ActivityLog.xml, I run command, but cannot find the log, vs crashes

Fanatic Member

where is vs2022 ActivityLog.xml, I run command, but cannot find the log, vs crashes

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/an...-technically-s

Since there are many reasons for not responding, could you please collect and share us the ActivityLog.xml file for further check? To collect the log, please close VS => run devenv /log command in Developer Command Prompt For Visual Studio 2022 => reproduce the issue => go to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<Version>\ActivityLog.xml, share us the log file(avoid the privacy information) or share us the snippets of recorded error/warning message to check.

I have had tons of crashes, it stops responding, IDE disappears and restarts, reloads the project back to where I was.

Yesterday and today it is crashing hard maybe 15 to 20 times randomly.

Code:
    ** Visual Studio 2022 Developer Command Prompt v17.10.2
    ** Copyright (c) 2022 Microsoft Corporation

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community>devenv /log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community>
    When I do the instructions, it loads vs2022

AND, this crashing may be from the major upgrade it installed a few days ago, never seen it this bad.

Any ideas?

Re: where is vs2022 ActivityLog.xml, I run command, but cannot find the log, vs crash

The VS installer has a dedicated option to roll back the last update installed. If you suspect that the last update is the culprit, try that.

Fanatic Member

Re: where is vs2022 ActivityLog.xml, I run command, but cannot find the log, vs crash

I may have to try it. It has crashed 3 times this AM.
    Sometimes when I click run, it opens save dialog box, click save and it has an error.

Then worst crash was it refused to stop running with square RED button.
    I opened task manager, tried to shut it down, multiple end tasks, nothing, after 5 minutes, vs2022 shut down.

And just now, when showing the form window, none of the property pages show up, just blank for any control.

It is crazy stuff for sure!

I stopped google desktop from backing up the folder, but made no difference.

pic shows it, click on a control, prop page is empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fanatic Member

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...llation-issues

Running the roll back now.
    I saw there was an update sitting there, but not going to try it. I figure it would prevent rollback to 17.9, and who knows what...would happen then installing another update.

where is vs2022 ActivityLog.xml, I run command, but cannot find the log, vs crashes
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<Version>
    Isn't the file located in that folder? If not then try a search for ActivityLog.xml

Note that %APPDATA% is usually C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming

but if you need to get where APPDATA is pointing to then from a dos prompt type SET. Near the top you should see APPDATA=........
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Fanatic Member

I went thru the folders shown from the site, was not there, the xml file, seemed to be missing something else too, so I gave up an did the rollback.
    I don't like to put too much time into paths leading to further frustration, hope the reinstall of the older version fixes this. No other programs have any issues, and I run lots of things. I have 12gb ram on latest win 11 23H2 fully updated. 1 TB SSD WD drive.

Fanatic Member

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ing-the-system

Has been crashing today. I notice it mostly crashes when stopping a program. Hit Red square or X the startup form.

I have changed to Consolas, which did nothing, and just now turned off graphics accelerated hardware.

It may be my system is little too slow for vs2022. It is not a new high end system.

I have had other symptoms like change property page value, and the designer is super slow to update the file.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

See the following View Visual Studio activity logs. And see the following before performing a rollback Visual Studio 2022 Rollback.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kareninstructor View Post
    See the following View Visual Studio activity logs. And see the following before performing a rollback Visual Studio 2022 Rollback.
    Ok, thanks, useful info there.

When it crashes it has always happened when I stop program from running like hit red square or X on the form. Not every time will it crash. It like hangs, red square button stays red, then I click vs 2022 anywhere and it goes whitish colored, says stopped responding and hangs there for like 30 seconds and disappears. Immediately restarts, and displays the code I was at. I have sometimes seen it crash so badly that nothing, not even task manager can shut it down. It once did that for a few minutes till it finally disappeared and restarted.

It really slows me down. It can crash a lot more somedays than others. In an hour it might crash 10 or more times.

Fanatic Member

I also have vs2008, on this PC, and it does not crash whatsoever.
    I have wondered about dropping back to vs2019.
    I have zero problems with vb6 or any other program on this PC. My grandkids can play endless time of Roblox on the PC and graphics work very well

Fanatic Member

Today no crashes yet, after I ran vs2022 like this, maybe there will be, at least I will have a log which might show something, anything as to why.

Code:
    ** Visual Studio 2022 Developer Command Prompt v17.9.6
    ** Copyright (c) 2022 Microsoft Corporation

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community>devenv /log "%USERPROFILE%\MyVSLog.xml"

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community>

Fanatic Member

NO CRASHES since June 27.
    vs2022 is even running more efficiently and feels faster.

I had reported the crashing issue to MS vs2022 team, feedback as to why I had rolled back the version, that, and ever since running vs2022 from command prompt to record a log, vs2022 has refused to crash, act up, or do anything bad to my coding. vs2022 IntelliSense would occasionally goof up my coding so bad, it was a terrible sight to behold.

Now it is perfect.

vs studio wanted to know why I had rolled back, so I told them.
    The rollback did not fix the crashing, it was crashing badly after rolling back, maybe MS did a silent update.

Don't know if others can see the feedback, linking ti anyway.

https://developercommunity.visualstu...a-5b40ff3a261f