Thread: Writting to Print Document

Writting to Print Document

Hi All,
    I am a retired man and I begin to code, using Visual Stutio Basic 2019,as an hobby. Visual basic is new to me. I try to answer this question myself, but no sucess.
    What I would like to write in the print document is the text, UNIFORM LOAD, and the string on UWriteText1 on lines, 1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 17, and (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 18, but if the variable Wtl1 is equal to zero, then I would have two blank lines before writting the following lines. To avoid blank lines I use the if statement before writting the next lines. However, this method appears to be lengthy because I have many lines to writes. I think a better approach would be selecting the last line and move the cursor down one line and continue writting. I do not know the code for this.
    Also, I appologize English is confusing since English is my second language.

Below are my lines of code:

If Wtl > 0 Then

UWrite1 = " UNIFORM LOAD:"
    UWrite2 = UWriteText1
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UWrite1, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 17 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UWrite2, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 18 + TopMargin)

End If

'Write uniform varying load *********************************************

If (Wtl1 > 0 Or Wtl2 > 0) And (Wtl = 0) Then

e.Graphics.DrawString(" UNIFORM VARYING LOAD:", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 17 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UVWriteText1, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 18 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UVWriteText2, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 19 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(" Start distance a = " & VRSDistA & " ft", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 20 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(" End distance b = " & VREDistB & " ft", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 21 + TopMargin)

ElseIf (Wtl1 > 0 Or Wtl2 > 0) And (Wtl > 0) Then
    'Uniform load exists in this case and occupies intlinenumber 17 to 18
    'So this load will occupied 19 to 23
    e.Graphics.DrawString(" UNIFORM VARYING LOAD:", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 19 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UVWriteText1, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 20 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(UVWriteText2, Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 21 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(" Start distance a = " & VRSDistA & " ft", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 22 + TopMargin)
    e.Graphics.DrawString(" End distance b = " & VREDistB & " ft", Font, Brush, LeftMargin, (1.5 * Font.Height + 0.025) * 23 + TopMargin)

End If

'Write P1 load *************************************************************

If (P1 > 0) And (Wtl = 0) And (Wtl1 = 0) And (Wtl2 = 0) Then

Hyperactive Member

Re: Writting to Print Document

My first question is what type of print document? Where is the information coming from and what type of printout are you looking to get?

I am not sure how to answer your question. I guess the type of print document is whatever is in this event, Private Sub PrintDoc_PrintPage(sender As Object, e As PrintPageEventArgs) Handles PrintDoc.PrintPage and I would like to print it on a paper.

I am not sure how the answer your questions. I guess the type of print document is whatever is in the event, Private Sub PrintDoc_PrintPage(sender As Object, e As PrintPageEventArgs) Handles PrintDoc.PrintPage, and the printout will be on stardard 8.5x11 paper.

Hyperactive Member

Okay, you can do something a bit easier using a NuGet package, I used FreeSpire.Doc, you can build the document (like a Word Document) then just print it without using all the drawing.

this of course it a simple example, I had it print to the PDF printer but you can obviously name any one pf your printers.
    Code:
    Imports Spire.Doc
    Imports Spire.Doc.Documents
    Imports System.Drawing.Printing

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub btnPrint_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnPrint.Click

' use FreeSpire.Doc to print a document
            Dim doc As New Document
            Dim sec As Section
            Dim pg As Paragraph
            Dim printDoc As PrintDocument = doc.PrintDocument

Dim UVWriteText1 As String

sec = doc.AddSection()
            pg = sec.AddParagraph()

UVWriteText1 = "sample text to print"

pg.AppendText($"UNIFORM VARYING LOAD: {UVWriteText1}")

With printDoc.PrinterSettings
                .PrinterName = "Microsoft Print to PDF"
                .FromPage = 1
                .ToPage = 1
                .Copies = 1
            End With

printDoc.Print()

End Sub

End Class
    EDIT: forgot to add, they have extensive documentation https://www.e-iceblue.com/Tutorials/...e-Content.html
    Last edited by jdelano; May 24th, 2024 at 10:05 AM.

Hello Jdelano,
    I copied your code and pasted it on my Sub to see if it would work. There are three errror messages as follows:
    1. Document is not defined
    2. Section is not defined
    3. Paragraph is not defined
    Thank you very much for your help though.

Hyperactive Member

Make sure to add the NuGet package FreeSprire.doc, see the link I placed there
    Edit: If you haven't used them before .. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/nuget/what-is-nuget

You're welcome.

I will stick to Visual Basic for printing, because I will have some kind of drawings that I will draw on the printout page.

Hyperactive Member

Sounds good.

Lively Member

OK, I didn't understand your problem quite, but maybe this could help you. This is how I write each row of a DataGridView, making sure that rows don't overwrite each other.

Code:
      For Each row As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.Rows
                Dim Yoffset As Integer = Yoffset + 40

If Not row.IsNewRow Then

e.Graphics.DrawString(row.Cells(0).Value, f8, Brushes.Black, 75, 530 + Yoffset)

e.Graphics.DrawString(row.Cells(2).Value, f8, Brushes.Black, 250, 530 + Yoffset)
                    e.Graphics.DrawString(row.Cells(3).Value, f8, Brushes.Black, 600, 530 + Yoffset)

e.Graphics.DrawString("------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------", f8, Brushes.Black, 80, 560 + Yoffset)

End If
            Next