Thread: File path for mouse cursor

File path for mouse cursor

Hi guys, I want to get the file path under the mouse cursor, how can I do that?

Addicted Member

Re: File path for mouse cursor

Are you creating your own form and displaying the contents of folders? You'll need to explain more to get any help.

I'm assuming you want the executable of the process of the hWnd the cursor is over.

The Spy.vbp comes pretty close to doing this. If it doesn't directly do it, it'd be pretty easy to add it. Or, it's not difficult to just do this directly. It'd take the following API calls:

GetCursorPos
    WindowFromPoint
    GetWindowThreadProcessId
    GetModuleFileNameExW
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by jdelano View Post
    Are you creating your own form and displaying the contents of folders? You'll need to explain more to get any help.
    When the mouse passes over a folder, return the path of that folder (including the computer desktop).

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I'm assuming you want the executable of the process of the hWnd the cursor is over.

The Spy.vbp comes pretty close to doing this. If it doesn't directly do it, it'd be pretty easy to add it. Or, it's not difficult to just do this directly. It'd take the following API calls:

GetCursorPos
    WindowFromPoint
    GetWindowThreadProcessId
    GetModuleFileNameExW
    I have tried many methods, but none of them have source code support.

You should give a little more information. Which program is the mouse cursor over? Your own program and which control or is it another program such as Explorer?

Resolved Re: File path for mouse cursor

Quote Originally Posted by -Franky- View Post
    You should give a little more information. Which program is the mouse cursor over? Your own program and which control or is it another program such as Explorer?
    YES!! Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by wtusvi View Post
    YES!! Explorer.
    Ohhh, cancel everything I said in post #3. It would have been nice to know this when you originally posted!

AFAIK, I've never really seen any "automation" for Windows explorer, which is what it would take to do this. However, you can certainly do it with a Windows File Explorer add-in. I routinely install the little Path Copy Copy utility on new Windows computers.

Is that what you're looking for? Next time, please be more clear as to what you want!
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.