Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's "Stormy" next few weeks/months

PowerPoster

Re: Trump's "Stormy" next few weeks/months

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    As of now at least, three GOP senators have now helped Trump skirt a gag order that the judge insists is necessary to protect his proceedings and its participants from harm. The gag order is in place to protect the judicial system and the people participating in it. I shows the low character of the people we elect to such important positions. US senators acting that way really lowers my opinion of them, and that didn't seem possible anymore.

Add speaker Johnson to the mix...he said he came to speak as a concerned citizen, repeating what Trump wants him to

The Vice President audition continues.
    Unfortunately it doesn't lower my opinion of them. Their behavior doesn't surprise me. Most the GOP has become Trump's lackies out of fear, been that way since he was president.

PowerPoster

I wonder what's going on with the Supreme Court. I'm starting to have a hard time justifying the length of time the court is drawing out making a decision on the immunity issue. They put scheduling the hearing for months ands now they aren't making a decision for weeks. I know there no such thing as a completely unbiased person but this is starting to look like an overt effort to help Trump by the court. It's not a good image. Also, bad news for our country. We need at least one institution we can believe in. I haven't agreed with all the courts decision but I really never thought they were "picking sides". Now I'm not sure.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; May 16th, 2024 at 02:24 PM.

If it still works the way it did when I did a case study on SCOTUS a number of years ago, here's how it works:
    It starts with an open submission period. This is when potential cases are submitted to the court for review.
    While cases are still coming in, the court goes through the submissions and decides which ones they will hear during the next session.
    At some point, submissions are closed. The calendar is then created for the cases that were accepted. People are notified.
    The next several months, they hear the cases from both sides... Some deliberation will start immediately, and court clerks and paralegals are sent their research tasks.
    Meanhwile they continue to hear more cases until they are done.
    Some cases can be done in and out, and a ruling is released. But more often than not, deliberations and discusions go beyond the arguments stage and could take weeks or months before a decision is handed down.

In this case, it's that discussion & deliberation phase that they are dragging out. And yes, they are probably doing it for political reasons. They don't want to be the ones that hand down a decision that trumps Trump's ability to run... so they sit and "talk" about it... and drag it out, until it's too close to the election, or just after the election. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is released 4pm on Nov 15 ( a Friday) ... I also wouldn't be surprised if it works out like this: Trump wins the election, the majority rules in his favor. Biden wins, the ruling is against TRump (because then that would also limit what Biden can do.)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Maybe I just pay more attention to these types of things nowadays but I don't remember SCOTUS ever being this openly political.

Until more recently they weren't. The last two or three nominations kind of changed that.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Until more recently they weren't. The last two or three nominations kind of changed that.

-tg
    I think in the past calling them "liberal" was an insult and was plausible. Now they don't swing conservative, they swing republican.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    This is interesting. I always assumed that you needed unanimous consent from the jury for a conviction but I did jury service a couple of months ago and it turns out you don't. Our jury was split 10 to 2 and nobody was moving. The judge advised that that was sufficient and the conviction was recorded.

I honestly don't know if this is a UK only thing, I don't even know if it was a Crown Court only thing, but it might not be as simple as a single juror being able to save him.
    I know I'm late to the party, but in Louisiana we allowed for non-unanimous convictions up until 2018ish. At one point, it actually allowed for a 9-3 conviction but it changed to 10-2 for my whole lifetime up until it was change to unanimous.

The non-unanimous conviction law was enacted back in the 1800's as a direct result of the reconstruction period. The idea is that when a black person is on trial they could stack the court with majority white with one or two blacks to make it look legit, but then not need the one or two votes in the minority to still get a conviction.

Ah, I just looked it up. It was changed in 2018 and passed 64.35% (938,182 votes) to 35.65% (519,731 votes).

I remember this very clearly because I was super active in my libertarian party affiliate (we do them at the parish level) and I did some door knocking campaigns to try and get out the vote.

The unfortunate thing was that the law was not retroactive, so we still have people service life sentences on 10-2 convictions.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

I didn't even know this was a thing. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...ers-rcna152809

At least not on a business level.

The thought of paying money to sit in court amuses me. I think most people are more likely to pay money NOT to go to court.

If you're really fat, can you charge double?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    If you're really fat, can you charge double?
    You might be able to round up.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I didn't even know this was a thing. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...ers-rcna152809

The thought of paying money to sit in court amuses me. I think most people are more likely to pay money NOT to go to court.
    They aren't actually going to court... they're saving spots in lines for others - usually journalists or other gawkers.

-tg

Here is a lady that turned it into a business:

https://www.businessinsider.com/prof...ks-2022-2?op=1

PowerPoster

GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS!

Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Convicted Felon Donald Trump

PowerPoster

Guilty on all 34 charges. Both the speed and verdict surprises me.

Probably wont have much effect on the election. Imagine the appeal process will drag on well pass then. Don't think it will change his support.

This surprised me, I wasn’t expecting a guilty verdict.

PowerPoster

I'd say 99.9% of people found guilty of 34 felonies would be spending their next few years in jail. It will be interesting to see how they justify not sending Trump to jail. He should have plead not guilty on the grounds of mental defect.

Edit: Well, maybe I was wrong.

In an analysis of comparable cases brought by the Manhattan district attorney's office, Norm Eisen, who has written a book about Trump's 2020 election-related federal indictment and served as special counsel in the first impeachment of the former president, found that about 10% resulted in imprisonment. But the circumstances surrounding the case make any across-the-board comparison difficult.
    That fact alone should give the judge plenty of justification for no jail time.

Only 10% of people convicted of these type of felonies do jail time. Wow

White collar crime really does have it's perks.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; May 30th, 2024 at 09:39 PM.

I believe as a convicted felon, he's also lost his right to vote... and yet there's nothing to stop a convicted felon from running for POTUS...

-tg

What I find interesting is that the Members of this site can talk politics and not want to KILL EACH OTHER at the same time.

THANK YOU

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    What I find interesting is that the Members of this site can talk politics and not want to KILL EACH OTHER at the same time.

THANK YOU
    I'm fairly apathetic when it comes to politics. All I do is vote. Not that I don't have opinions and I'm worried about our democracy. But nowadays I just sort of shake my head and hope for the best. But I do find it to be good theater.

King of sapila

I've said that before that chasing him like that will only make him more popular.
    Of course will have to see on the elections. Is it September or November I can't make that out.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

THANK YOU
    Maybe because there are few Trump supporters here and the ones that do keep quiet. We do have some overseas members that pretend they understand US politics and chirp in

There is a solid chance he will be president again. We will find out if the courts allow him to pardon himself.

The contrast between the reporting of "liberal" and "conservative" reporting is amazing. Two very different views on what happened. Both think they are right. It falls right along the lines of division in the country.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; May 31st, 2024 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I believe as a convicted felon, he's also lost his right to vote... and yet there's nothing to stop a convicted felon from running for POTUS...

-tg
    Not quite true:

Trump is registered to vote in Florida. Convicted felons can only vote in the state after they have completed their sentence, which could be prison time or paying a fine. However, Florida also honors the voting laws in the state where the felony conviction occurred, which in this case is New York. In New York state, convicted felons are not allowed to vote only when they are imprisoned.

So unless Trump is behind bars on Election Day, which is unlikely, then he’ll probably be able to vote for himself.

PowerPoster

Maybe because there are few Trump supporters here and the ones that do keep quiet. We do have some overseas members that pretend they understand US politics and chirp in

There is a solid chance he will be president again. We will find out if the courts allow him to pardon himself.

The contrast between the reporting of "liberal" and "conservative" reporting is amazing. Two very different views on what happened. Both think they are right. It falls right along the lines of division in the country.
    Niya wasn't an aberration; he was posting mainstream right wing views in the US and at least much of Eastern Europe. Their policies have become so extreme they've become inconsistent with any actual discussion rules on racism and bigotry beyond "no outright slurs". So it's not surprising no intense political discussion springs up.

And the thing is... if two people believe with all theirs hearts that 2+2 = 4 and 2+2 = 5, there's an objective answer as to what the actual correct version is. If you want to judge who's being more realistic on things that are less objective, a good place to start is there's only one side who changes their views of basic facts day to day based on whatever an excessively spray-tanned moron rants about from his golden toilet. Like come on, *even if* you thought this was a politically motivated prosecution, Alvin Bragg is the farthest left DA on the East Coast, what's more likely, *he* brought a politically charged prosecution? Or the current President engaged in a wide ranging conspiracy to arrange a hit job on a political opponent, and everyone else from top to bottom involved in carrying the prosecution out are all in the conspiracy and making lies up... Trump never even slept with her! Everybody is lying except him, the man who lies so brazenly he started his administration by lying about there not being way, way more people in one photo vs the other when everyone with eyes could see the truth?

Not to mention only one side wallows in delusion that Biden is ancient and senile, but Trump, only a handful of years younger, and who makes *far more* verbal gaffes and unlike Biden goes on for several minutes talking nonsense, is as sharp as a tack and has no age related issues whatseoever.

I spend far more of my time arguing with other progressives than with conservatives because there are plenty of things I don't agree with on the left, but it's just absolutely maddening that so many people are so delusional, ignorant, backwards and hateful, but think they're brilliant and crazy **** like no, we're patriots, it was *patriotic* to try to overthrow the government and kill the VP for not making a massive power grab to support *completely unfounded, evidence-free* claims of fraud! Then there's the even worse people sitting on the fringes like "well sure the right banned abortion everywhere they control, are aiming for a national ban, and are likely to roll back birth control access too... but it's equally unacceptably extreme to think everyone should have health coverage!" "Well, the right banned by law... but a couple people on the far left tweeted..."

Niya wasn't an aberration; he was posting mainstream right wing views in the US and at least much of Eastern Europe.
    Not since he came back from break

King of sapila

You mean MITYOCS (May I Take Your Coat Sir ) ?
    Yeah, poor NIYA.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    You mean MITYOCS
    That sounds Greek. Is it a location, or just a word?

King of sapila

It's an acronym for May I Take Your Coat Sir

Nope, it's Greek.

PowerPoster

It's Greek to me.

King of sapila

The best I can come up with is MICHIOS that is something lays in the deep in an esoteric point.
    I can't write it in Greek as the site will get all question mark on me.

The thing about you and Greek is, I was being sarcastic, and you STILL managed to nearly come up with a very similar word. You, sir, are a master of the Greek language, and the abusive uncle of the English language.

King of sapila

I can agree on abuse English but for Greek there are lots of people better than me.
    It's just that, modern languages are based mostly on a Greek origin so sometimes it is straight obvious sometimes with a little search, well, hasn't failed me yet :P
    What also motivates me except that some people show interest are the people that are fed up with it. I give an extra try just for them

PowerPoster

My daughter will be going to Athens at the end of July. She'll spend a couple days there and then take a cruise to some of the Greek islands then end up at Venice. I warned her to be ready for the heat but she's convinced it wont be a problem, plus they always be near the water. She's lived in the Ca central valley all her life so she's no stranger to 100 degree weather. As long as it's not humid in that region of the Mediterranean she should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I can agree on abuse English but for Greek there are lots of people better than me.
    It's just that, modern languages are based mostly on a Greek origin so sometimes it is straight obvious sometimes with a little search, well, hasn't failed me yet :P
    What also motivates me except that some people show interest are the people that are fed up with it. I give an extra try just for them
    I do realize that a whole lot of our language derives from Greek words, and I do appreciate your pointing them out. Even if I know the origin of the word, I like that you point it out.

My daughter will be going to Athens at the end of July. She'll spend a couple days there and then take a cruise to some of the Greek islands then end up at Venice. I warned her to be ready for the heat but she's convinced it wont be a problem, plus they always be near the water. She's lived in the Ca central valley all her life so she's no stranger to 100 degree weather. As long as it's not humid in that region of the Mediterranean she should be fine.
    Not humid by a warm sea? How would that even be possible?

PowerPoster

Not humid by a warm sea? How would that even be possible?
    I don't know. Just looked and the average water temp in the warmest months was 71. That's a lot cooler than the Gulf of Mexico, I remember it was @ 87 in September one time when I went fishing. It was definitely humid. It also said the Mediterranean was a relatively dry climate. So like I said, I don't know.

I do realize that a whole lot of our language derives from Greek words, and I do appreciate your pointing them out. Even if I know the origin of the word, I like that you point it out.
    He didn't say "our Language" he said "It's just that, modern languages are based mostly on a Greek origin" and that is not true. If you look at the Indo-European family of languages it is a small branch of "modern Languages" (on the right). How many Chinese speaking people are there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, I'm quoting a signature portion. I quote it because this is a sore point for me. I think it's safe to say that the motivations behind this signature are recent presidential elections.

And, the facts ... presidential elections in the USA are decided by a few 1000 undecided voters in a small handful of swing states. And that's actually been the case for quite a while.

I live in Tennessee, a fairly deep red state. Do you think any presidential candidates will be swinging by here and doing any politicking? Not likely, because the voting of our electoral college delegates is a long foregone conclusion.

So, for me, elections DON'T matter.

It's going to take a different political climate from the one we're currently in, but I truly believe that a large partial fix to our current problems (and divisions) is doing away with the electoral college, letting the popular vote decide the POTUS.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Yeah, I agree with that. Nobody visits Idaho, and for elections....nobody visits Idaho. We don't have many electoral votes, and they are going to whoever has an R by their name. I vote, but I know it doesn't change anything in this state.

Getting rid of the electoral college would change that, and it might happen.

Getting rid of winner takes all systems would do a world of good. Otherwise we’re stuck with the two parties that can fundraise the most.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast