Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing VB6 on Windows 11

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installing VB6 on Windows 11

I am trying to get VB6 installed on a new Windows 11 machine and having issues. When I run the original CD after I enter the key, etc, I get an error launching acmboot.exe I have found the following instructions on line in several places:

The solution to fix the acmboot.exe fatal error manually is shown below:

Step 1: Make a copy of your installation cd on the hard disk.
    Step 2: Copy the file setup/VS98ENT.STF and rename it to acmsetup.STF.
    Step 3: Now, copy the entire content of setup/ to a previous folder (the folder that has acmboot.exe file)
    Step 4: Modify the acmsetup.stf file with accost.exe as the user requires and save it.
    Step 5: Run the acmsetup.exe instead of setup (the one that’s on the same path as acmboot.exe)

Now, try to install Visual Studio 6.0, and the application will be installed as well as the error will be resolved.

However, I do not have a VS98ENT.STF anywhere on the CD. I do have a VBPRO.STF in the Setup folder. I tried the above just using that name but it would not work. When I get to the Step 4, there is no accost.exe anywhere. Suggestions really appreciated.

Re: Installing VB6 on Windows 11

Try the method as described in this thread by Elroy:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....dows-10-64-bit

Just about a week ago, I built a new computer and installed the VB6 IDE on it. It was a bit involved, but I didn't really have any problems. In fact, I'm on that new computer right now.

Just follow those directions, and you'll be fine. Most important parts are the MSJAVA.DLL piece, installing with UAC off, installing as administrator, and NOT installing the "ADO and RDS" option. If you try to install that last piece, everything will fail.

Also, shims aren't of paramount importance, as you can get away with a Windows 7 compatibility setting, but using a minimum set of shims is better. It will actually work without any compatibility/shim setting at all, but the toolboxes just drag (by their titlebars) a bit strangely. The shims fix that.

Also, if you've already borked an attempted installation, that msdatsrc.tlb tip may get you out of trouble.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Try the method as described in this thread by Elroy:
    I really never understood Elroy's approach.
    In Windows 64 bits, the 16 bits boot loader of the VB6 installer won't run. That's why there are instructions about using acmboot.exe and acmsetup.STF
    But he doesn't talk about that on his instructions.
    I never tested if MS did something special to make possible to install VB6 (with its 16 bits program) on Windows 10/11, but I'm very positive that it didn't install at all in Windows 7 64 bits and the first versions of Windows 10 when I tried.

PowerPoster

I've installed it on Windows 11 22H2 recently.

Not going to dig into the media right now to confirm it's 16bit... and I can't find a link right now but I remember reading about a feature of Windows that is able to extract info to handle certain types of 16bit setup type programs.

Just to remind everyone, Microsoft stripped out full 16bit support just because they felt like it. It's got *nothing* to do with technical limitations. You can take the NTVDM from older Windows versions, compile it for x64, install it on 64bit Win10/11, and run 16bit apps normally through a compatibility layer just like WOW64,

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

Lightbulb Re: Installing VB6 on Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    However, I do not have a VS98ENT.STF anywhere on the CD. I do have a VBPRO.STF in the Setup folder. I tried the above just using that name but it would not work. When I get to the Step 4, there is no accost.exe anywhere. Suggestions really appreciated.
    Probably there are significant differences between the "Professional" and "Enterprise" editions of VB6. I have the "Enterprise" edition and it just works without having to mess around with STF files...

I am still not getting it to install.

I turned off the UAC and the virus/firewall items
    I get past entering my CD Key
    then I get to Custom as my only option.
    Every time I would just check the Install VB6 I get error launching acmboot.exe
    So the next time I tried the server applications and they installed BackOffice fine
    Now I get VB Install has already been run and asking me to Add/Remove but nothing go any further and VB is not installed.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by VanGoghGaming View Post
    Told you above, get the Enterprise edition.
    I don't use Enterprise, and don't have any problems. I'm not sure any of my VB6 versions are Enterprise.

You just have to follow my instructions, and things work fine. But, I've heard horror stories about not following the instructions, and then things getting caught-sideways, and then things get difficult.

My instructions link does have a few resources for getting that straightened out, if they're still active. The title says Windows 10, but it works for Windows 11 just as well (or at least that's my experience).
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Ahhh, Dan Brust's blog about how to fix a borked installation is gone.

But here it is on the Wayback Machine.

So if I already have the Pro CD, where do I get the Enterprise?

I cannot find any button to click to actually download the VS6Installer (http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Articles/VB...S/Default.aspx). I registered and all.

Got it. Thanks, now to go back to instructions.

Install VB6 IDE on W11 64bits.

My old Toshiva Notebook died, so I had to install VB6 on another computer with Windows 11 Home 22H2
    After more than one attempt, the final one did it without problems, and it also recognized a software that I am developing with a multitude of controls and references, without any problem either.
    Below, I express my installation experience, regarding all the points that I believe are important, to try to help those who have problems
    It is focused on installing only Visual Basic. There are considerations on the internet that are made to install VC++ that are not mentioned here
    This is a translation from Spanish to English, sorry if some sentences are poorly expressed
    Please make corrections or notes if necessary.

I think that the fact that there is more than one version of the VB6 IDE Installer caused more than one installation criteria to appear in W10/11.
    On this occasion, I have used some files that are on Archive.org, which are Linked to the following website
    https://techdator.net/visual-basic-6...d-for-windows/

First of all, I personally advise creating a Disk Image. For this we can use, for example, the AOMEI software, which has a free version.
    A failed installation, which is likely to happen, leaves traces in Windows, which can cause subsequent installation attempts to also fail, so we must be cautious
    Furthermore, it is worth mentioning that if the installation is a Notebook, and we have to recover a disk image, we must connect the charger to avoid running the risk of running out of battery.
    I would say that Creating a Restore Point should be enough, but I preferred to make a Disk Image, to have 100% security, that a failed installation does not affect Windows
    Once a Disk Image has been made, or at least a Restore Point has been created, we can begin.

First we must create a Temporary Folder that we will use only for installation purposes, for example named A, in C:\, that is, we will have: C:\A
    Extract all the existing Files on VB6 IDE Installation Disk 1, which will surely be an ISO image, and we will copy it to Folder C:\A
    We can have the Installer on CD, DVD or ISO image on PenDrive, Portable Disk, etc., and it may consist of 1, 2 or 3 disks, but only 1 is always used
    This extraction is necessary, because you have to make some changes to the files, since trying to install from the original disk probably won't work.

Once this is done, remove the physical media that provides these files, because the Installation program looks for pre-installed components, and can generate problems
    Let's remember that we are going to take extreme precautions, so that everything goes well, and thus avoid using the backup Disk Image

Find the file C:\A\setupwiz.ini and open it with Note Block, and if the line "VmPath = ie4 \ msjavx86.exe" exists, change it to "VmPath ="
    Save these Changes

Now we are ready to start the Installation, but with the precaution of doing it as Administrator
    To do this, just right click on the file C:\A\Setup.exe, and in the pop-up menu, choose Run as Administrator

During the Installation, at least 3 windows will appear that alert you about Compatibility problems, or possible Installation failures.
    They are all unimportant. One appears as soon as the Installation starts, and the other 2, after the requested Windows restart.
    We should not worry, we simply have to ignore them, leave them open, or in any case close them, but do not interact with them.

However, there is another one that appears after restarting Windows, which is important, and it is the one that refers to the AMPEREG.exe file, and which we will discuss later.
    We cannot close this Window without confirming that this file is Installed in Compatibility Mode

Regarding the Installation itself, we will go through different Windows, such as the License Agreement, the Product Key, the Installation Folder, etc.
    None of them have anything significant to consider, except for the one referring to Installation Options, which we will choose Custom
    We uncheck Visual C++, Visual FoxPro, Visual InterDev and Visual SourceSafe, we will only leave Visual Basic checked
    Enter this Data Access section, and Uncheck ADO, RDS and OLEDB, because these components cause the Installation to fail

Regarding additional Installation components, which are suggested in Windows below, such as MSDN, InstallShield, etc., do not install any
    MSDN we will install it later

Once we go through all the Windows we have to restart Windows

At this point is when the Window above the AMPEREG.exe file may appear, which, as we already said, is important and we should not ignore it.
    Click on Install in Compatibility Mode. Don't forget this.

The installation is complete! We can now run the VB6 IDE for the first time!
    In some posts on the internet, although I don't understand the reason, it is suggested that the first time you do it as an administrator
    To do this, right click in Explorer on the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\vb6.exe, and run as Administrator

It is possible that when trying to use the IDE, you may notice display problems, such as slowness and flickering, of objects that you try to move.
    For example, when entering controls in a Form, when selecting and moving them within it, when moving IDE windows such as Properties, etc.
    If this happens, to solve or mitigate these problems, certain settings can be made in the VB6 IDE executable.
    To do this, in Windows Explorer, right click on the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\vb6.exe, then click on Properties, and finally click on the Compatibility tab
    The main thing we must do is specify a Compatibility Mode, such as Windows XP SP3, or try in any case with Windows XP SP2
    Also, if you want to spend a little time, you can see what happens when you change the existing settings in the Configuration Section, always in the same tab
    Of course, with each setting change, you must close VB6, reopen it, change the location of the objects again, and see what results were obtained.
    Additionally, now in another window, in Windows Settings / System / Display, you can try Disabling Scaling, that is, leaving it at Normal or 100%, if it is active

Install Service Pack 6
    By installing the VB6 IDE, we do nothing, there are still 2 updates missing, the first is SP6, which is mandatory and prior to KB3096896
    To do this, create a new temporary folder such as C:\B
    Regardless of where it is saved, run SP6, which is a file named Vs6sp6.exe or Vs6sp6B.exe,
    By doing so, we are not executing the Installation itself, but simply unpacking the files that make up SP6
    Therefore, the only thing that happens is that it asks us where all the files are going to be unpacked, and obviously we will answer C:\B

It is very important that this file be of the same language with which the IDE was installed.
    For example, if the IDE is Spanish and SP6 is English, the Installation is not carried out, and a Window appears that warns us that the Language is wrong
    From what I saw, Microsoft already removed the download link for this File, where to do so, at that time we previously chose its Language, so we were sure to have the correct file
    Now, we must get this file on the web, thanks to the fact that third parties have uploaded it, but it is not so easy to know which language it belongs to.
    The name Vs6sp6 does not have a String like ENU or ESN, which allows us to know in advance what language the file is, whether English, Spanish, or whatever.
    However, if we are in the situation of not knowing the Language to which the SP6 we have belongs to, we can analyze its files
    It is not useful to see the Language of the Controls present there, because as has happened to me, these can be English language, when the package is Spanish language
    An orientation is given by the Readme.htm file, because since it is readable by the User, it is written in the SP6 Language
    Lastly, what we can do is start with the SP6 installation, and if the Language is not correct, it simply will not be installed

To install SP6 in W10 or W11, we must do a previous step
    Search in C:\B, the file sp698ent.stf, and if it does not exist, sp698vbo.stf, and if it does not exist, look for the only one that has an STF extension, and rename it acmsetup.stf
    Now, finally, run the file of the same name but extension exe, that is: acmsetup.exe.
    I don't think Administrator permissions are required, but it doesn't hurt to run it as such.

SP6 includes the previous Services Packs 1 to 5, so only 6 should be installed

Install Cumulative Update KB3096896 from 03/23/2021
    To do this, simply run the file vb60sp6-kb3096896-x86-enu.msi if the IDE and SP6 are English language
    This file directly accomplishes the Installation, it does not unpack as happens with SP6, and we do not have to modify anything previously

Simply, in the following Link, choose the language with which the IDE and SP6 were installed, and then download the file
    https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/down....aspx?id=50722

As of March 2024, this is the last version available for these files, and it is from 2015.
    There are other Updates between the release of SP6 and this last Cumulative Update indicated to install, such as KB896559, KB926857, KB957924, KB960715, KB2708437, but they do not require installation.
    This Cumulative Update KB3096896 is the last one, and replaces all the previous ones mentioned, except SP6
    If SP6 is not installed, the KB3096898 update cannot be executed
    This Update cannot be uninstalled

Suggested additional settings
    In Editor Tab Disable Automatic Syntax Check. It does not show the annoying Syntax Error mini window every time we make a mistake, it simply underlines the present errors in red
    In Editor Tab activate Require variable declaration. It is simply very necessary to avoid errors
    In General Tab uncheck Compile under Request. At this point I don't understand what the advantage is.
    In the Environment Tab, check whether to activate Ask if you want to save changes when the program starts. It's good to save before the damn crashes
    In General Tab see if activate Interrupt on all Errors

Make the IDE recognize the mouse wheel
    Get the VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.DLL file (See Links on the websites listed below)
    Locate it in: C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    Open Command Prompt as administrator. (To do this, go to the start button, search for CMD, click run as administrator)
    Write: regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.DLL and click OK
    Open: VB6 IDE
    Open: Add-In Manager (Menu Add-Ins / Add-In Manager)
    In the List Select: MouseWheel Fix
    Click to select the Loaded/Unloaded check box, and then click to select the Load on Startup check box
    Click OK
    Note: It is not mandatory that the Folder where the DLL is located be: C:\Windows\SysWOW64, but then, when executing regsvr32, the chosen path must be specified
    Related links:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/tr...ts-do-not-work
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ousewheeladdin
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....eel-Windows-10
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ork-in-vb6-ide
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6mousewheelfix/
    https://joebott.com/vb6scrollwheel.htm

Install MSDN
    To do this, create a new temporary folder such as C:\H
    The MSDN could be made up of 2 or 3 CD/DVD discs, or ISO images in any case.
    For example, the 1998 MSDN has 2 disks, and the October 2001 MSDN has 3 disks.

The first thing we have to do is copy all the Files and Folders, as they are on Disk 1, to C:\H
    Secondly, we must copy all the files that are in the MSDN Folder on Disk 2, to the C:\H\MSDN Folder
    Additionally, the file MSDN332.inf, which is on Disk 2, copy it to C:\H
    Thirdly, if Disk 3 exists, we must copy all the files that are in the MSDN Folder on Disk 3, to the C:\H\MSDN Folder
    Additionally, the file MSDN333.inf, which is on Disk 3, copy it to C:\H

At this point we have achieved that the C:\H\MSDN Folder contains all the Files existing in the MSDN Folders of each disk
    Additionally, in Folder C:\H, we have the files MSDN331.inf, MSDN332.inf, and if disk 3 exists, the file MSDN333.inf

At this point we are ready to execute the MSDN Installation
    To do this, if there is a file with an STF extension, such as acmsetup.stf, we must execute the file of the same name, but with an exe extension, that is, acmsetup.exe
    This is the case of MSDN from 1998

Otherwise, if there is no STF extension file, we must execute setup.exe
    This is the case of the MSDN from 2001

By doing so, the installation is carried out, which is very simple

You can install more than one MSDN, and any language. They are all independent facilities
    Obviously it doesn't matter with what language the VB6 IDE was installed.

If there is already another MSDN installed, when the installation finishes, it is asked if this is the MSDN that will be Active in the IDE, when F1 is pressed

vb6-portable
    VBC6.EXE is a utility designed to fix License problems with ActiveX Controls that ship with Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0.
    The utility will not fix third party controls, or controls not normally installed by Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
    https://github.com/sdksmate/vb6-portable

You also can visit:
    https://whatsoftware.com/install-vis...hine-for-java/
    https://musingsoftheproletariat.com/...ws-10/#more-64
    https://nuke.vbcorner.net/Articles/V...S/Default.aspx
    https://www.fortypoundhead.com/showc...sp?artid=23993
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...dio-on-Windows
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_HhwD0ZptM

In the future, you may add considerations that you may have overlooked. Criticisms, contributions, etc. are welcome, because they could be incorporated into this text. Long live VB6!
    Last edited by Tabi; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 03:35 PM. Reason: This post is republished, because I have improved it, and also, it was not referenced by anyone, so the thread will not be affected

Addicted Member

I still can't install SP6 (Win10, x64, latest update).
    I always get this error:
    Name:  sp62.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  10.5 KB
    Last edited by Dry Bone; Mar 13th, 2024 at 08:34 AM.

Are you running it with administrative privileges?

Also, did you manage to get the VB6 IDE actually installed? The SP6 is only to be installed AFTER you get the VB6 IDE installed.

Hyperactive Member

I have installed enterprise version twice following this youtube video, goes thru it all well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_HhwD0ZptM&t=3s

Also got sp6 and the sp6 rollup installed, you can download enterprise, and the sp6 stuff.

not sp6, an upgrade to sp6 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...?id=50722&quot

which solved a mscomctl.ocx loading error
    Last edited by sdowney1; Mar 13th, 2024 at 02:21 PM.

I cannot seem to get the SP6 to run. When I run it U get "Unable to open acmsetup.stf, run setup where you originally ran it." I even tried to do the new download from MS site dated 2021. I tried with and without admin.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I cannot seem to get the SP6 to run. When I run it U get "Unable to open acmsetup.stf, run setup where you originally ran it." I even tried to do the new download from MS site dated 2021. I tried with and without admin.
    Did vb6 install with no errors popping up?
    I ran the sp6 from, a totally different location and it worked.
    Then ran the roll update for sp6

Hyperactive Member

here is sp6 on my google drive
    I zipped it and the unziped exe is a self extracting archive.
    Extract it then run Vs6sp6.exe
    And inside the folder that it extracts is the MS installer

I had a hard time finding it so if you want it, here it is

-link removed by moderator-

After all that, I still had to regsvr32 a couple OCX files in the syswow64 folder in windows.
    Last edited by dday9; Mar 14th, 2024 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney1 View Post

After all that, I still had to regsvr32 a couple OCX files in the syswow64 folder in windows.
    That roll-up link for it above works perfectly!
    Last edited by dday9; Mar 14th, 2024 at 08:27 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    That roll-up link for it above works perfectly!
    That's great, glad it worked

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney1 View Post

You're fine to post links to zip files, but please do not include any binaries such as executables.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

A fine and running. Thanks to all ho helped. Thanks.

Re: [RESOLVED] Installing VB6 on Windows 11

Just got VB6 installed on Windows 11 - everything working well, except for the general slowness when moving controls around a form. I installed the "VB6 App Compatibility Shim" from these forums - it helps with the controls on the forms, but there was too much flickering when starting the VB6 IDE, and adding controls to forms, so I uninstalled the shims for now. Besides that, VB6 is working quite well in Windows 11 - thanks for the help! I program in VB6 everyday, although new stuff has been in VB.Net for many years now. Looks like I'll be with VB6 until it doesn't work anymore (Maybe with Windows 12?). I still find the best experience with the VB6 IDE is to run it in a Windows 7 virtual machine.