Thread: Troubleshoot Device Driver

Fanatic Member

Troubleshoot Device Driver

Since upgrade from Win-7 to Win-10 my HP scanner has not worked (M$ broke alot of scanners with that new OS). The scanner still functions if I run it from Win-7 (actual HD not virtual from Win-10). The same generic drivers are being used for both OSes.
    I invoke the scanner from Microsoft FAX and Scan, but it can also be driven from WIA.
    I've tried troubleshooting using both ProcessExplorer and ProcessMonitor (I guessing my lack of a deep understanding of both may be the problem), but I cannot seem to be able to get info beyond the fact that FAX and Scan is running. (For example hitting the Scan Button, does not bring up a Dll, Thread, Handle, Registry Entry, or whatever).

FWIW: I'm GUESSING, the use of TrustedInstaller in Win-10 is most likely the problem.

Anyone know of a book or link that may help troubleshoot TrustedInstaller, a device driver, or ? Just curious to find out why it is failing (the device driver itself, or something M$ did in Win-10).
    Last edited by vb6forever; Feb 26th, 2024 at 04:27 PM.

Re: Troubleshoot Device Driver

What model of HP scanner is it? That might be some useful information.

PowerPoster

Unless other people are saying it works for them, it's likely just incompatible. Backwards compatibility is piss poor for hardware drivers.

Fanatic Member

Thanks both for responding.

jdc2000: Mine is a HP2400; friends is an Epson (model unknown). Internet is full of unhappy people.
    I'm just curious what broke it (OS or driver).

fafalone: See jdc2000.

PowerPoster

I can't offer any help, but can share an experience with old HP equipment.

I set up a Windows 10 PC for my Mom, who has an old HP multi-function device (Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax). Probably close to 20 years old. She loves it and doesn't want to have to learn how to use a new device.

Windows 10 absolutely refused to acknowledge that it was a printer. It saw *something* connected, but any attempt I tried to install a driver for it failed. I tried numerous different suggestions found on HP support boards and other sites, nothing worked.

I ended up setting up a Windows XP VM inside of Windows 10. That XP VM *could* see and print to the printer just fine. I then set up a somewhat convoluted process whereby when my Mom needed to print something, inside of Windows 10 she would print to a PDF. Then, she would fire up the XP VM, which would automatically connect to the shared folder where "PDF's to be printed" were stored, and she would then open the new PDF and print it from Adobe Reader inside of XP.

That was very much less than ideal, but it was at least functional. Then, out of the blue, she said she was having some problems printing. So I looked at her computer and lo-and-behold, Windows 10 had suddenly recognized her printer, named it appropriately, and had a driver for it installed. I printed a test page directly from Windows 10 and it worked, and she's been able to print to it directly from Windows 10 ever since. I did some digging to see if maybe a Windows Update fixed it, but I could never find documentation that legacy printer support or something similar had been addressed.

I guess my point is, it might just start working at some point for no obviously explainable reason, which I realize isn't much help.

Fanatic Member

OptionBase1: Thanks for responding. My old printer works and there seems to be less issue with printers than scanners (mine is stand alone) in Win-10. I point my finger at Win-10, NOT the driver, since M$ also broke Macro's in Office for older office versions. Again TrustedInstaller seems to be the culprit -- but also need to check out M$ use of different directories (folders) based on versions.
    I imagine somewhere in M$ this is written down, but available to public ???