Thread: [RESOLVED] System IO File not found

Resolved [RESOLVED] System IO File not found

I'm writing a text to speech app. It runs fine in my developer (VS 2022 vb.net) After building an install package
    and installing it on my system (win 10) I get this error.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Speech, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'System.Speech, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

Question is where is it missing from?. My desktop windows system or in the installed application? When I look into the installer (Advanced Insatller 21.4) it shows the system.speech.dll in the target machines files.

Any Help would be appreciate

Thanks

Re: System IO File not found

Your installer is presumably not including that file, so it doesn't get installed on the target machine. As you have provided very little information, we can't really be any more specific.

This issue is about deployment and not VB development so I have moved this thread from the VB.NET forum to the Application Deployment forum.

@jmcilhinney This was driving me nuts. I finally resolved it thanks to your comment. I was seeing the file in the installed directory. It was also in my system32 folder. The problem was it should have installed in a "runtime" folder which wasn't getting included in the deployment package. I went back and added the runtime folder which contained the system.speech.dll and wolah Now it works. Geeze . Well thank you. I set it aside for a day or so and got some fresh eyes on it this morning. Problem solved. Thank You

Glad you got it working. If your issue is resolved, please use the Thread Tools menu to mark the thread Resolved. That way, we can see that you need no more help without opening the thread and reading it. I've done it for you this time.

Quote Originally Posted by dashley View Post
    wolah Now it works.
    For the record, the word is "voila". It is French for "there it is".

King of sapila

Re: [RESOLVED] System IO File not found

Actually it comes from voir (view) that comes from Latin word "ouos" that comes down to Greek word ὄσσε , which means eye.
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 19th, 2024 at 07:47 AM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Actually, it's a French word that means "there it is".

King of sapila

Right,
    It's from look there voir - la , and it breaks to Latin and Greek. Google it.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/voila
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 19th, 2024 at 12:45 PM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Right,
    It's from look there voir - la , and it breaks to Latin and Greek. Google it.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/voila
    I don't need to Google anything because I don't care. Where the word comes from isn't really relevant to how it's spelled or what it means so it doesn't help anyone use it correctly in future. Why are you arguing with me? Is what I said wrong? No, it isn't. When you say "actually", you're implying that what went before is incorrect, which it was not. That said, if you're going to say "actually" and not mean that what went before is wrong then there's no reason that you should interpret my saying "actually" that way, so why are you telling me to go look for irrelevant information? You may consider it cute to point out the Greek roots for anything and everything but it's not.