Thread: [RESOLVED] Prevention of overwriting Project

Resolved [RESOLVED] Prevention of overwriting Project

Good Day,
    I wonder if you can assist?

When my project was installed and I wanted to install it again there used to be a message stating that the software is already installed.

I do not know what I have done, but it does not bring up that message anymore.

I have searched the VS settings, but can not find anything. What is strange is that I still have a compiled setup file which are doing that. I need to make some changes to my code. Is there a way I can un-compile the setup file or is there something I must set in VS where I might have changed a setting?

Re: Prevention of overwriting Project

You don't install a project. The project exists on your machine as the source. VS builds the project into an application and you then generate an installer somehow to install that application on another machine. We have no idea how you created that installer so we have no idea what options are available to you. You can create an installer in two different ways using just standard VS and that's not accounting for all the third-party options. Please provide ALL the relevant information, which would include how you created the installer and what configuration options you used to do so.

Thread moved from VB.NET to Application Deployment because the issue doesn't actually relate to VB development.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You don't install a project. The project exists on your machine as the source. VS builds the project into an application and you then generate an installer somehow to install that application on another machine. We have no idea how you created that installer so we have no idea what options are available to you. You can create an installer in two different ways using just standard VS and that's not accounting for all the third-party options. Please provide ALL the relevant information, which would include how you created the installer and what configuration options you used to do so.
    Thank You jmcilhinney, I understand. I thought I lost my source code, because my hard drive crashed and therefore I wanted to use a decompiler, but I remembered that I have backups offsite.

I would strongly suggest that you start using a cloud source control provider, like Azure DevOps or GitHub. There are a number of free options - the two mentioned previously are basically built into VS - and they provide multiple benefits, including always having a "backup" of your source code, being able to develop on multiple machines, easily roll back to previous good states, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I would strongly suggest that you start using a cloud source control provider, like Azure DevOps or GitHub. There are a number of free options - the two mentioned previously are basically built into VS - and they provide multiple benefits, including always having a "backup" of your source code, being able to develop on multiple machines, easily roll back to previous good states, etc.
    jmcilhinney Thank You. I have noticed azure and Github on VS. I will have a look at it yes. This is actually exactly what I need.

Thank You again for the advice.