Thread: Did we get hacked?

Fanatic Member

Did we get hacked?

TrendMicro is reporting my email and password were leaked from VbForums. Hey... not finger pointing. Stuff happens. But did we get hacked? And if so, did I just miss the notification or were users not notified?

PowerPoster

Re: Did we get hacked?

Is this about the one 8 years ago?

QuinStreet: In approximately late 2015, the maker of "performance marketing products" QuinStreet had a number of their online assets compromised. The attack impacted 28 separate sites, predominantly technology forums such as flashkit.com, codeguru.com and webdeveloper.com (view a full list of sites). QuinStreet advised that impacted users have been notified and passwords reset. The data contained details on over 4.9 million people and included email addresses, dates of birth and salted MD5 hashes.

Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames, Website activity
    (vbforums is on the full list)

And since no one uses the same password at other places - the worst that could have happened back then was someone might pretend to be you while posting here.

We now force people to change their password just in case.

PowerPoster

And since no one uses the same password at other places -
    Heh, is this a joke?

I'll admit to it... I didn't really participate much before 2015, so iirc VBF wasn't on my 'high priority' list... i reuse bad but easy to remember passwords for the long tail of sites where there's no important info or no ability to do much besides make posts. It's been compromised at a few places. But wouldn't get someone into my email, bank, or anything storing my real address/phone #/cc. VBF has since been upgraded to have a strong, unique pw once I started posting more.

King of sapila

The only hack I know was Shaggy's nephew stealing his account and posting rubbish at the covid thread.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Heh, is this a joke?

I'll admit to it... I didn't really participate much before 2015, so iirc VBF wasn't on my 'high priority' list... i reuse bad but easy to remember passwords for the long tail of sites where there's no important info or no ability to do much besides make posts. It's been compromised at a few places. But wouldn't get someone into my email, bank, or anything storing my real address/phone #/cc. VBF has since been upgraded to have a strong, unique pw once I started posting more.
    I use unique pass phrases everywhere... helps also identify where it came from if it's compromised.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    The only hack I know was Shaggy's nephew stealing his account and posting rubbish at the covid thread.
    And that was Sapator.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing