Thread: Recommended db for desktop .NET apps?

Lively Member

Recommended db for desktop .NET apps?

Hi everyone,

I've been managing my data in a very direct way for quite some time. It was simply storing some files in folders, where each of the folders will have subfolders consisting of images/pdfs and Excel/text files, where I use OLEDB/stringstream to access the Excel/text files for showing the data pertaining to the primary key. I'd navigate the files using ListBox/View and been doing that quite happily.

So far it has worked for me quite well, though I understood if anyone can access my PC, they'd have access to the files quite easily too.

I have pretty much zilch experience in databases, but I wonder if it is necessary to migrate to the use of SQL databases for my desktop apps?
    Since web based applications all use some form of well-established databases, don't they? Like MongoDB and PostGRE and whatever.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Vizier87

Re: Recommended db for desktop .NET apps?

There are numerous options but the two most obvious are SQL Server and SQLite. Microsoft used to provide SQL Server CE for file-based databases, i.e. databases with no need for server software to be installed, but stopped developing that some years ago and now recommend SQLite. You just deploy a DLL or two with your app and that enables full database functionality. If you're OK with installing a server somewhere, SQL Server is an obvious choice. If there's already a SQL Server instance on your machine or your network then you can create a database on that. If you install SQL Server Express, which can be done with an automated installer, you can deploy an MDF data file with your application and have it attached at run time. That is configured via the connection string. Beyond that, it's really up to you. As I said, there are numerous options and which you choose is up to you. You can learn the strengths and weaknesses of each option and decide which fits your needs most closely.

BTW, this subject really has nothing to do with VB.NET so I will move this thread to the Database Development forum.

Lively Member

Re: Recommended db for desktop .NET apps?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    There are numerous options but the two most obvious are SQL Server and SQLite. Microsoft used to provide SQL Server CE for file-based databases, i.e. databases with no need for server software to be installed, but stopped developing that some years ago and now recommend SQLite. You just deploy a DLL or two with your app and that enables full database functionality. If you're OK with installing a server somewhere, SQL Server is an obvious choice. If there's already a SQL Server instance on your machine or your network then you can create a database on that. If you install SQL Server Express, which can be done with an automated installer, you can deploy an MDF data file with your application and have it attached at run time. That is configured via the connection string. Beyond that, it's really up to you. As I said, there are numerous options and which you choose is up to you. You can learn the strengths and weaknesses of each option and decide which fits your needs most closely.

BTW, this subject really has nothing to do with VB.NET so I will move this thread to the Database Development forum.
    Hi John, thanks a lot for the reply. I think SQLite sounds like a good long term solution, will go and check it out.