Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11 - Show More Options

Windows 11 - Show More Options

I just got Windows 11 at work. After moving "Start" to the left the next thing that irritated me was having to click on "more options" doing folder manipulation. This makes it stay expanded:

This is the string:

• reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f

Then restart. It stays expanded after that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

King of sapila

Re: Windows 11 - Show More Options

Welcome to hell!

What bothered me was w11 as a whole so (of course I did the more option reg) there is an itchy bitchy (hope that won't get censored) tool called "StartAllBack" that will get rid of w11 BS style and another tool called TrayToolbar that will actually add a shortcut menu like what w7 did 15 years ago! Wow! Fantastic MS duffuses. Oh wait! We should probably ask for a patch but we might get a reduction on speed so MS would have to patch the ToolBar on the GPU clock...Idiots.

On another note office 365 is awful. All the company complains for speed issues and lost of communication. I get lags more than the average because I had the nerve to wanting to have my treeview open for some mail folders when I reopen outlook. That required not to cache from the server but be live on the server. So I get 15-20 seconds of waiting from time to time....Oh I know, we should ask for MS for a patch to leave the damn folders open. Of course this might result in a loss of speed so they should probably connect the patch to the GPU clock in order to solve the time lag....Idiots.

After the new update the notifications icon will always stay to the right, even if no notifications exists (I can disable it but I want only important notifications to show). To be honest I haven't checked if this is fixable but if it is not...Yep...
    We should ask for MS for a patch to hide the notifications icon. Of course this might result in a loss of speed so they should probably connect the patch to the GPU clock in order to solve the time lag....Idiots.

More to come if I'm in the mood.
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 19th, 2023 at 06:35 AM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

King of sapila

Just got another bug. Just now.
    The new clock. If I press focus, then press the rectangle (the clock expands) then I close the clock and stop the focus, the notifications will turn to do not disturb mode!
    Weeeelll,, we should ask for MS for a patch to fix clock focus notifications icon bug. Of course this might result in a loss of speed so they should probably connect the patch to the GPU clock in order to solve the time lag....Idiots.

Those who start out with Win11 would end up wondering why the start menu was ever in the left corner. I don't have seconds on my clock on Win10, so that one was already baffling to me.

Basically, all of these complaints seem to come down to, "who moved my cheese?"

I'm not saying that's wrong. We have learned one way of doing things and have a fair amount of muscle memory. Changing around the features and capabilities is one thing, but changing around the interface has to make things significantly better or it shouldn't be done. In this case, there isn't a clear benefit to having the start button in one place or another. Apple would put it on the top, Windows (by default) on the bottom, W10 on the left, W11 in the middle, and some deviants then move the taskbar to the right border....just to be different, as far as I can tell. There isn't any one that is clearly better than the others, so once people have learned it one way, leave it that way.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

w11 left top right was an option that did not need a patch.
    The others needed patching.
    Also I don't get the "everything that MS do is OK you just have to live with that". I remember some windows phone conversations that was saying this and we all know how that ended up.
    Personally I wouldn't be laughing at w11 but I have to have them at the office, else w7 is fine.

King of sapila

Also the complains about the, how is it called. The one that you have to have high CPU to update.
    That went well, non?

I have one W11 and one W10 system at home. Quite frankly, I don't see a difference, aside from the look of the taskbar. I can get the same stuff done.

I also wasn't saying that everything MS does is OK. I did say that changing things around just for the sake of changing them around, is a bad idea, though one that MS has bought into...sort of. I have always imagined that it is some "artistic type" person who feels passionate about making an impact, but isn't creative enough to add significant value, so they make a highly visible, and ultimately worthless, impact: Moving something around or changing the icons. I don't know if that's a correct impression, it just seems right to me.

The real point behind W10, and then with W11, was to attempt to reduce the impact of new kinds of cyber attacks. Each of the changes was loudly resisted by some group. W10 was pushing updates. People hated that, but anybody who understands white hat or black hat attacks, knows that computers that haven't been patched are gateways to any network. People weren't patching their systems, it was leaving networks vulnerable, MS was getting blamed for the hacks, so they solved it by forcing the updates on people. W11 is just more of that with that chip requirement.

PowerPoster

Some UI evolution is expected and probably mostly good. But we've seen a lot of "for the sake of doing it" over the last several major version releases.

Some of it might be trying to retain that 5% of Windows users who might defect to Mac. Most of those can't discern any difference between the two anyway.

But they are sort of the "taxi riders" rather than "drivers." A lot of the changes have been almost as bad as replacing the steering wheel with a joystick, moving pedals to hand controls, turn signal controls to under-seat mounted left and right buttons, and replacing adequate glass area, mirrors, low hood lines, and narrow pillars with army tank-like slits and outside cameras and display screens.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I have one W11 and one W10 system at home. Quite frankly, I don't see a difference, aside from the look of the taskbar. I can get the same stuff done.

I also wasn't saying that everything MS does is OK. I did say that changing things around just for the sake of changing them around, is a bad idea, though one that MS has bought into...sort of. I have always imagined that it is some "artistic type" person who feels passionate about making an impact, but isn't creative enough to add significant value, so they make a highly visible, and ultimately worthless, impact: Moving something around or changing the icons. I don't know if that's a correct impression, it just seems right to me.

The real point behind W10, and then with W11, was to attempt to reduce the impact of new kinds of cyber attacks. Each of the changes was loudly resisted by some group. W10 was pushing updates. People hated that, but anybody who understands white hat or black hat attacks, knows that computers that haven't been patched are gateways to any network. People weren't patching their systems, it was leaving networks vulnerable, MS was getting blamed for the hacks, so they solved it by forcing the updates on people. W11 is just more of that with that chip requirement.
    I mostly agree but
    1) You are dead wrong on the updates. I updated after 3 months of vacation and w11 did not push me to anything. w10 on the other hand is constantly pushing updates and me to install w11 on the laptop. Of course this will result in a loss of speed so they should probably connect the patch to the GPU clock in order to solve the time lag. Also unless they clearly state the the update is GPU specific I won't do it.
    2)Wrong on the differences. There are. Heck they just added seconds on the clock yall! That, ,.... Will have an impact...blah blah. And the other things I stated above. Also a major difference is the TPM. You know that idiotic thing that won't let you install to older PC. And let's , not , for the love of what is Holy, not write that MS is protecting people from bad performance.... Also bypassing TPM will result in a loss of speed so they should probably connect the registry 0-1 fix to the GPU clock in order to solve the time lag.

Edit. Seeing it as it may, I think I'm probably better on Hardware - Admin side rather than software. I think I chose the wrong path but the switch was once young, a screw, a god damn, nut cracking round thingofabout fell on the bottom of a desktop I was updating. I was strugling for 15 minutes to get the damn thing and I said to myself, "never again". That, might have been, a wrong call. But you would might also not had the pleasure of my acquaintance
    I would currently be breaking hearts and fighting evil at Tomshardware forums. An example is the TV thread. Why on earth would I chose to rollback an AMD driver?! That was pure instinct and genius! Thank you than you, you're welcome.
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 19th, 2023 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Damn screw!

Well, I always knew you had a screw loose, I just didn't realize what an influence it had on your life.

King of sapila

Only one?
    You're breaking my heart now.

King of sapila

w11 is just the excuse.
    We generally don't like MS and oppose, condemn and argue on anything it does.

I don't like you cannot attach a toolbar to the taskbar anymore.

King of sapila

Read my first post.

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  10.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Read my first post.

Views: 212
Size:  10.8 KB
    I'm not sure if you are referring to my last post...I was talking about the personal toolbar that could be created on the taskbar being gone. This is my old one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

King of sapila

And?
    That is exactly what I showed you , just instead of the name Toolbar and arrow I have a folder image.
    Here, for clearance, Im clicking on the image.

Views: 200
Size:  9.2 KB

And compared to my w7 Toolbar:

Views: 215
Size:  8.9 KBName:  Clipboard01.jpg

Edit.
    You might look at the time in w11 and see seconds. That is a patch from MS but you have to be careful as showing seconds might impact performance, so you might be better of looking for a patch or the patch that link the patch to the GPU instead so CPU performance stays intact.
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 18th, 2023 at 08:41 AM.

And?
    That is exactly what I showed you , just instead of the name Toolbar and arrow I have a folder image.
    Here, for clearance, Im clicking on the image.

And compared to my w7 Toolbar:

Views: 215
Size:  8.9 KBName:  Clipboard01.jpg

Edit.
    You might look at the time in w11 and see seconds. That is a patch from MS but you have to be careful as showing seconds might impact performance, so you might be better of looking for a patch or the patch that link the patch to the GPU instead so CPU performance stays intact.
    I'm just saying the classic version is gone. You are referring to a substitute.

PowerPoster

"who moved my cheese?"
    I've always found that a pretty disgusting phrase.

It was designed as a defense of a social crime, like a corporate takeover or a reorganization that eliminated jobs, cut worker pay, or at best capped the careers of some while rewarding unworthies brought in from somewhere out of left field.

I imagine it was consciously designed by somebody working from a similar phrase: "lie back and enjoy it."

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I'm just saying the classic version is gone. You are referring to a substitute.
    The phrase "give me a brake" comes to mind.
    I might be the most fanatic anti w10+ version person here but the "substitute" have the exact same position and capabilities of the old one. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you obviously haven't try it out.

Also the creator does not state that it will impact CPU performance so there is no patch to run in on the GPU to minimize performance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I've always found that a pretty disgusting phrase.

It was designed as a defense of a social crime, like a corporate takeover or a reorganization that eliminated jobs, cut worker pay, or at best capped the careers of some while rewarding unworthies brought in from somewhere out of left field.

I imagine it was consciously designed by somebody working from a similar phrase: "lie back and enjoy it."
    Actually, it's the title of a book, and refers to the typical rat experiment. It's always made sense to me. Humans don't use intelligence all that much. The more we understand of how our mental processes work, the more it appears to be pattern recognition and repetition. That's how UI works, as well, and we've discussed the point in various guises in various places, including operating systems, Visual Studio, rental cars, non-rental cars, and so forth: We are trained on some UI. Once trained, we don't think through our actions, we just act. It's far more efficient. If you know the cheese is in the left branch (rat mazes turn out to be SUPER easy, for some reason. I think those rats should be made to work a bit), you don't need to consider the right branch, or do much investigating, you just go left. The problem arises when those routines we use without thinking either no longer work, or even worse, do something other than what they did before.

The phrase "give me a brake" comes to mind.
    I might be the most fanatic anti w10+ version person here but the "substitute" have the exact same position and capabilities of the old one. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you obviously haven't try it out.

Also the creator does not state that it will impact CPU performance so there is no patch to run in on the GPU to minimize performance issues.
    You are the one being pedantic ad nauseum...it is gone. GONE! That is all there is to it. I could code a "substitute" myself if I wanted. I just started pinning them to the start. Problem solved.

And it is "give me a break", or do you think "brake" is the same as "break" too
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Oct 19th, 2023 at 04:01 AM.

King of sapila

Whatever. If you leave w11 as is then you will be the one eating your flesh and complaining like a little brat. I really couldn't care less.
    It's what firefox dictionary corrector wrote I did not double check. If that is a poor attempt to call me off, others have done worse without success. But please do try again.

King of sapila

Those little maggots on MS are intentionally trying to piss me off.
    They where pushing a key activation service dialogbox and your windows is not genuine dialogbox and you might have been compromised sign every hour!
    Thankfully that is at the office not at home that I could resolve this in a blink of an eye. So I have to close services, remove keys ,remove a patch, reactivate windows etc etc and now the only "issue" is I have a this windows is not genuine on my bottom right of the desktop. Preferable than pop ups . I suppose I could eliminate that thread also but it's just at a place that I do not use, so, meh.
    This is clearly an attempt to force users to newer windows versions, they intentionally put out that a patch and now at the official MS site claimed to be a "bug" of some sort but to remove it is complicated for the average user that out of frustration will update the O/S .
    At a glimpse I saw no sign of the patch impacting performance so a new patch fixing this patch and passing the calculations on the GPU is not needed... OH, hold, this is w7 thank God.
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 19th, 2023 at 06:43 AM.

Those little maggots on MS are intentionally trying to piss me off.
    If they knew, they would, just for the creative language.

King of sapila

So if I'm to call them scutoid wannabies will they try harder?
    Because it ain't working. I'm fixing all their intentional bugs on w7 and w11 (see HDMI TV thread) .

So if I'm to call them scutoid wannabies will they try harder?
    Because it ain't working.
    Well, it might. I haven't seen that one tried before, though you really aren't known for reusing your insults. "Scutoid" is pretty awesome. I had to look it up, though it sounds like a type of fish scale. That's a good word. Very obscure, and yet arguably appropriate.

Based on sapator's previous posts I'd say "Scutoid" has some Greek origin

King of sapila

It does but to be fair it's not something that you will use on a day to day conversation.

You just did.

King of sapila

But it's done.

PowerPoster

Actually, it's the title of a book...
    Yeah, I know all about the book. As well as the "management training" that taught the use of the phrase to browbeat workers into submission when their wacky practices, reorganizations, and other stupid crap came down the pike.

We went to the Moon once. I'm not sure we ever will again, and the "cheese movers" are a big part of that.

PowerPoster

I recently installed 11 in a VM to run down some platform-specific issue in some of my code. I had seen screen shots, didn't care for redesign much. Also had seen the absolutely appalling level of ads, bloat, and 3rd party shovelware, and difficulty using purely offline accounts in consumer versions, so thought IoT Enterprise might be a little better, and it was on those points, but still so much worse than I imagined.

first off, info indicated having UEFI/SecureBoot/TPM on the host would be sufficient; it wasn't. Had to use the setup console to modify the install to bypass checks via the registry. Installation took twice as long as 10. The taskbar and start menu have been absolutely ruined. I thought it was bad from the pictures but that doesn't prepare you for how truly bad it is. Can't stand the common context menu options being hidden; I knew that was a problem, but found they've also replaced Explorer's ribbon with a very sparse toolbar with tons of whitespace they could have put the options that are now hidden behind a dropdown. MS has blacklisted programs from having the 'Compatibility' tab... i wasted 20 minutes googling instructions to restore it only to find it was already enabled in registry and group policy, they just block random apps (like VS6 setup) at a lower level, so I had to use the obnoxious 'compatibility troubleshooter' that takes 10x as long to apply a shim. There doesn't appear to be an option to put the desktop icons like This PC back, or if there is, it's been buried in some non-obvious place. I let it connect to the internet for all of 30 seconds and it already installed updates.

I'll take one more look at it when the Enterprise LTSC version comes out a year from now, but I suspect I'll be holding out til they hopefully pull their heads out of their asses with Windows 12. But I've got at least a decade of security updates for Win10 Enterprise LTSC still, and honestly I don't even care and would still be running 7 if it worked on my hardware. Heavy adblocking and script blocking and being careful with downloads has proven sufficient... no malware since the sometime on the 00s when you got infected just by being connected to the internet for a minute with that one nasty worm.

King of sapila

But hold on man! People here are claiming that it's only a few design issues that can be omitted. lol.
    Anyhow, I've fixed whatever bothers me with one way or the other but an average user would have a hell of a time doing so. At least I'm on their laters garb..Errr version so I got the heat early on...Till the next one.
    And now, I can happily go home , and boot my w7 PC without expiry popups and not genuine notifications....

Yeah, I may be claiming that. I have Win11 on one system and Win10 on two or three others. Quite frankly, I don't notice the difference other than where the start button is located. Of course, that may be partly because I'm not trying to run programs that were written in the 90s, and it may be that I haven't ever cared about all the bells and whistles, so I don't notice whether they are moved or removed.

I didn't notice that This PC was removed. I used to make too much use of that, but then decided that it really was too much use and stopped using it.

I suppose that makes me the target user: It just worked, for me.

King of sapila

Ye I did not want to target you but you took the bait.
    There are others that claim the same but don't post so I'm just assuming they claim the same.
    All in all I'm happy to see people,other than me, bashing MS on what it created. Also I wouldn't have w11 if they did bought me a new PC that was "mandatory" to have w11. So it was a trade off a 1000 PC vs w11...
    But since I was in a world of sht I had to swim and I made it successfully. Others just eat what MS served them and ask for dessert. I'm not the type. (cc, firefox originally translated to 'desert', unfortunately I saw that, would be nice to extravagance some but I will probably strike again!).

I didn't like having to keep clicking on "more options" working with folders.

If you don’t like having to click on “More Options” all the time do this:

• reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f

Then restart. It stays expanded after that.

Thanks!

PowerPoster

Yeah, I may be claiming that. I have Win11 on one system and Win10 on two or three others. Quite frankly, I don't notice the difference other than where the start button is located. Of course, that may be partly because I'm not trying to run programs that were written in the 90s, and it may be that I haven't ever cared about all the bells and whistles, so I don't notice whether they are moved or removed.

I didn't notice that This PC was removed. I used to make too much use of that, but then decided that it really was too much use and stopped using it.

I suppose that makes me the target user: It just worked, for me.
    Yeah, I feel about the same. I don't know why anyone who is involved in the PC/Software industry would expect not to have to deal with changes. I didn't want to give up DOS. lol

King of sapila

I have a deja vu. I'm going back to w8 and I'm reading the exact same things.
    Possible whoever just open up VS and SQL only or a browser will not even bother. Other that are actually working on the O/S will. P.E. I was cursing and still do that control panel is not in your face and you have to set it up. Did I adapt and put it on the thingofabout , right with the useless windows (like MS store, MS games and other sht)?I did? Did I still hate it? Yes.
    Other example. Shortcuts as discussed. How is me pinning 30 servers to the start a solution? I need quick access at all times. So I had to use an utility. Did I adapt?Nop.Did I still curse that they wanted me to slow my work down? I did. Did I still hate it?Yes.
    Clock. We are running jobs that require exact or very close seconds counting. Imagine my frustration on not having seconds or a proper seconds clock with a simple click. Did I adapt....Etc. Oh and second will impact performance. A patch might be required that will bind the processing to the GPU to avoid wallops.

PowerPoster

I have a deja vu. I'm going back to w8 and I'm reading the exact same things.
    Yeah, probably would be the same people complaining. Though I'd say 8.0 was met with a much larger group complaining. But there is also those who are always complaining about something or someone.

Imagine my frustration on not having seconds or a proper seconds clock with a simple click.
    Sorry I can't image getting very frustrated about something with multiple easy fixes.

King of sapila

What easy fix?
    They released an official patch after a year to fix this!
    There was whole lotta topic for that.
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-taskbar-clock

Aren't we paying attention? Hmm? Aren't we faithful and devoted to the principles of this chit chat forum (aka, what sapator says call him off, even if it involved butterflies and rainbows...) ? Hmm?Hmm?
    It's a good thing I still got the old w7 PC at work so I was not impacted. The job clock must be precise and sync so I was doing all the work from the old PC till the patch....Actually still do because I got very scared as MS claimed that it might impact performance. I should probably wait for a new patch that push the seconds counting on the GPU so there is no performance issues on the main CPU.

P.S. I also remember on the w8 era they released something called windows phone with w8? Right? We where mocking this and the MS junkies came out with shields and swords to defend it and how original and easy was to use....Well, that went well.
    So I don't trust MS junkies I can probably trust anyone else on MS subjects than ms junkies (I'm not talking about people on this thread btw).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast