Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Next US government shutdown in a few weeks

Re: Next US government shutdown in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah, the whole McCarthy thing made them look really bad, I think it was an embarrassment. With the elections so near, they can't afford a repeat.
    I'm thinking more and more the average person doesn't care. They just come out every four years, vote red or blue, and go back to their lives. Then life goes on. Trump is a horrid person and a criminal by most standards and yet almost half of the country will vote for him. If they really knew what he is about they wouldn't even let him in their house.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

They probably wouldn't let him in their house anyways. Among his supporters, there are a good number who know what he is and support him because of it, but there are probably even more who know what he is and don't care....because he's "over there". Politics at the national level is a fairly abstract concept to most people. The direct, day-to-day impact of presidential actions is rarely felt in such a fashion that one need necessarily draw a line between cause and effect.

For the first part of the Trump presidency, up until COVID, the economy was good, and Trump was theater. They wouldn't be voting for him if the economy had tanked under him. The fact that no president can really take credit for a good economy that happens on their watch, is ignored because there's no line connecting the two. A president can destroy an economy, and Trump might in a second term, since some of his actions would send inflation spiraling, but no president can take actions that immediately improve the economy. What they CAN do is put in place actions that their successor might benefit from, but anything that significantly improves the US economy will take a time to manifest.

The possible exception to that would be a massive infusion of cash during a recession. Since so much of our economy is driven by us buying stuff, recessions are often caused by us not buying stuff at the same pace. A massive infusion of cash, especially to the lower income brackets, will cause a lot more buying of stuff, which could boost the economy. The stimulus checks could still be driving the current economy, as economists estimate that the us population hasn't drawn down the savings boost generated by the stimulus. Maybe so.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I'm thinking more and more the average person doesn't care. They just come out every four years, vote red or blue, and go back to their lives. Then life goes on. Trump is a horrid person and a criminal by most standards and yet almost half of the country will vote for him. If they really knew what he is about they wouldn't even let him in their house.
    When I listened to Ben Shapiro back in like 2015 (holy crap that was like 9 years ago now) he used to make the analogy that we are headed towards a cliff going 80 MPH, republicans are the ones trying to slow the vehicle down whereas democrats want to pull the brakes out of the car (or something like that).

I haven't listened to him in a while (like in 9 years ), but in retrospect he's nothing more than a partisan. If Dick Cheney 2.0 were nominated (or Nicky Haley for example) he'd be the first one to give his support. But he was right about one part of the equation so I'll amend it on his behalf: republicans are the ones trying to put a brick on the accelerator and the democrats are the ones who want to pull the brakes out.

Donald Trump is a moral reprehensible person, there's no denying that. Joe Biden is equally as bad. Both are terrible human beings and no one in good conscious should vote for either one, let alone let either near their house.

The difference is that Trump is a great marketer who can turn every bit of negative press and turn it into gold whereas Biden is a great politician who can turn limit the negative press to the rightwing media and even then he is still well liked in some corners.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    When I listened to Ben Shapiro back in like 2015 (holy crap that was like 9 years ago now)
    HA!! You're getting old.

It doesn't get better.

Not sure how far out you have to shift the focus where Trump and Biden are "equally as bad".

Trump has a terrible history with women. Biden has a terrible history with children.

Trump has a terrible history with sleazy business deals. Biden has a terrible history of sleazy political backroom deals.

Trump uses terrible rhetoric when talking about "punishing" people or groups. Biden partnered with Strom Thurmond and attacked Reagan from the right regarding criminal punishments for drugs and of course he was the author of the '94 crime bill.

Both support the genocide going on in the middle east. Probably not the one your thinking of though, I'm referring to the genocide of Yeminis by Saudi Arabia.

I wouldn't invite either into my home.

PowerPoster

Biden has a terrible history with children.
    I have no idea what you mean.

Biden has a terrible history of sleazy political backroom deals.
    You could make such claims about Trump also. It's a favorite description of politicians.

Trump uses terrible rhetoric when talking about "punishing" people or groups. Biden partnered with Strom Thurmond and attacked Reagan from the right regarding criminal punishments for drugs and of course he was the author of the '94 crime bill.
    I guess that's "how far out you have to shift the focus". Don't know why you decided to limit Trumps terrible rhetoric to talking about punishing people.

But if either one showed up at my front door I'd do the right thing and say "No no, Wes no here".

I have no idea what you mean.
    There's the various sniffing videos/pictures out there. There's also the unsubstantiated Ashley Biden diary, I don't know how much I put stock in it, but if it was corroborated then I wouldn't be surprised. Then there's quotes directly from Biden like:
    I would sit on the stand and I got hairy legs that turned blonde in the sun and the kids would come in the pool and rub my leg down to push the hair down and watch it come back up again, they'd look at. So I learned about roaches and kids jumping on my lap, I love kids jumping on my lap.
    Here's the video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1200943043043565568 and in the comments there is the longer 15 minute version that provides context of him working as a life guard and talked about Corn Pop which I find absolutely hilarious. But that quote I just posted is just plain weird/gross.

But if either one showed up at my front door I'd do the right thing and say "No no, Wes no here".
    Ditto.

People talk about sleazy back-room deals, and some of them really are sleazy, but most of them probably are not...except in perspective. When you have two sides with fundamentally different goals, then each can refuse to compromise and nothing moves until death. Compromise is the alternative.

With politics, both sides have constituencies that elected the politician to win their point. If neither side is willing to give on any item, then nothing ever gets done. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad. There are all kinds of folk sayings along those lines, such as "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" and so on.

For compromise to happen, each side has to give on some points. If your side gave on a point you really care about, then the deal is sleazy. If your side gave on a point you didn't care about, while winning on the points you really care about, then the deal is good. It's just perspective.

One thing we have learned from history is that politics in the open doesn't get anything done. If you have to conduct all negotiations in the camera's eye, all you get is grandstanding.

As much as we don't necessarily like how the sausage is made, it sure goes well with some eggs and toast.

Leveraging foreign aid to get your desired results in a country we have no business meddling in qualifies as sleazy to me. See Ukraine while he was VP.

The right will say it was because Shokin was investigating Burisma and his son was getting paid by Burisma. The left will say it was because he was pursing a goal to oust corruption in Ukraine in line with the rest of the European west. I don't care who is right, but it sure is sleazy to me.

Of course Trump did the same thing holding up weapons (in 2016 or 17 I think) to the same country, backing up Wes' point of:
    .... It's a favorite description of politicians.
    So yes, while there are different shades of grey, they're both still evil in my book. One is worse in some areas while the other is worse in others. But neither should be president and neither would be welcome in my home.

Would any president?

The president is the visible leader of the country. Every country has problems, every country has interests with regard to relations with other countries, which might include trade, immigration, and what not. The US is no different, in that regard. Most countries have only two tools for dealing with other countries, while some have a third. One tool is war, but even if you win, that comes with a sizable cost. Another tool is called diplomacy, while the third is economic assistance. Those two can be seen as being aspects of the same thing, but not every country has the means to offer assistance of any sort, in which case diplomacy is usually just a form of bartering in goods and services.

In the end, that's what we elect a president to do. That occupies a fair amount of the time of the leader of every country. None can ignore it. If they do a bad enough job of it, even the most ruthless dictator will be overthrown. In the case of the US president, those kinds of dealings are probably occupying the great majority of their time, as they have such a great impact on domestic politics. We simply can't circle the wagons and raise the drawbridge, at least not without the economy going into a tailspin and throwing a large part of the population into destitution.

It's a bit contrary to say, "this is the job we want you to do, and you're a terrible person for doing it."

Looks lie this thread can go back to sleep until September...

So what's the budget now, something like 1 trillion dollars every 100 days?

Remember when the Obama administration broke the 1 trillion dollar mark and everyone freaked out? Now we're spending like 3.25 times that.

Remember when the Obama administration broke the 1 trillion dollar mark and everyone freaked out? Now we're spending like 3.25 times that.
    I remember when it was balanced, but then we had to fight the "Axis of Evil" and never looked back. On the plus side Iraq never got to use all those WMDs on us
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Mar 25th, 2024 at 09:32 AM.

I was under 10 when it was last balanced

You have to look at outflow vs inflow. We're still running a deficit, to be sure, but the economy has also grown considerably, and as that grows, revenue also grows.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I was under 10 when it was last balanced
    I was under 18 when I was last balanced. 18 is the legal age to drink in the UK. This may be causative.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You may be able to drink at 18 but you still call your cookies "biscuits". There's no way I'm getting over that.

Yeah, that puts me off a perfectly fine snack. Of course, we have biscuits and gravy, which ought to baffle the English.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Yeah but we don't have to worry about web sites hassling us to accept all biscuits so that's a win for blighty.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Websites use ricochet biscuits.

I will give it to you as a nation though, y'all did collectively decide on Boaty McBoatface, so there is some redeemability.

PowerPoster

I will give it to you as a nation though, y'all did collectively decide on Boaty McBoatface, so there is some redeemability.
    That's funny. I had never heard of this Why would anyone think it's a good idea to let the internet select a name? Wonder if the captain answers truthfully when people ask the name of his ship. lol

Taken from Wikipedia:
    Observers of contemporary culture coined the term "McBoatfacing," defined as "making the critical mistake of letting the internet decide things."
    I like the fact that it is called a "critical mistake". Yes, yes it is!!

Geez...they can't pass a budget but they can focus on naming an airport after Trump...

House Republicans have introduced legislation to rename Washington Dulles International Airport after former president Donald Trump.

The bill to name the Virginia airport after the polarizing 2024 presidential candidate faces tough odds. The House has a slim GOP majority and is consumed with pressing matters, including a national security funding package that would support Ukraine, Israel and other allies. Even if the measure did pass the House, it would have to make it through the Democratic-controlled Senate and get the signature of President Biden.

Personally I think you should be dead for a number of years (at least 5) before getting something named after you. It's to make sure that it isn't being done in the heat of the moment and that what ever legacy you have stands up against time. I can't remember if it's a state law or city ordinance, but that's how it is in Omaha... I only remember that because at one point it came up as a point of contention in naming a library

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

My GUESS is they know that it wont succeed but just doing it as way to help Trump (or suck up). But I'm old and cynical.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011