Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has the twinbasic,radbasic,everything software,the author detailed introduction?

PowerPoster

Who has the twinbasic,radbasic,everything software,the author detailed introduction?

everything IS A file search software
    ----------------
    The main content of this topic discussion is: the authors of these IDEs,
    who has detailed information.

I want to interview what kind of person the author is.For example, the author of VFB IDE in China, it is very simple to contact him.
    ---------------------------------

Is there an IDE developer details page in English?

RAD Basic 携 VB 6 归来,百分百兼容!-开源基础软件社区-51CTO.COM
    https://ost.51cto.com/posts/12681

Visual Basic 6 has been out of developers' hands for nearly 20 years, and now the new RAD Basic promises a 100% compatible solution for this event-driven programming language that Microsoft abandoned.
    New message for Visual Basic

Do you remember Visual Basic 6.0 by Daming Lake?
    Yeah, it's the one that was so hot, even in college, VB6 is still open.
    RAD Basic is back with VB 6, 100% compatible! - Open source basic software community
    Because it is easy to use and learn, many people are still looking forward to its successor, Visual Basic 7.

However, Visual Basic was abandoned by Microsoft's Ballmer, and the company talked about integrating VB. NET system, there is a Visual Basic.NET, but it is completely different from VB6.
    And now it's back! But it's not called Visual Basic, it's called RAD Basic. RAD Basic is back with VB 6, 100% compatible! - Open source basic software community
    RAD Basic, without explaining the name, I think it stands for Rapid Application Development.
    Today, RAD Basic is currently 100% compatible with Microsoft Visual Basic 6, and it has vowed to do the unreleased Visual Basic 7 to bring Visual Basic back to developers' computers.

Current situation

Microsoft abandoned Visual Basic 6 nearly 20 years ago in favor of.NET and C#, but there are still many developers who owe their professional success to the language, and there are still plenty of VB solutions in the market that still underpin a large portion of the corporate world. The complaints of Visual Basic developers about Visual Basic.NET still exist today because - it is simply impossible for Visual Basic 6 code to run as is or unchanged on the.NET version. The code Autoconverter offered by Microsoft didn't give a satisfactory answer either, and now RAD Basic promises to provide a 100% compatible solution for Microsoft's abandoned event-driven programming language!

Yes, the students also know that the current "low code" and "no code" solutions are really hot, RAD Basic is certainly not a simple nostalgic project, let IT professionals miss the time of Visual Basic 6, it has the ambition to revive VB.

RAD's author and original intention. RAD Basic is the brainchild of author Carles Royan, the lead developer on the project. Royan has been a software engineer for about 15 years. He was engaged in compiler development during the university, and his dissertation + project: "Compiler from Pseudocode to Java", sounds a bit high. Royan has also made some contributions to ANTLR and hibernate (HQL parser). He explained why he did this project, first of all because Basic was the first language he learned, Visual Basic was a great discovery for me, one can build great and professional applications with so little code. Royan was puzzled by the fact that Microsoft stopped supporting Visual Basic 6 (or Classic), and that Microsoft did not provide an easy path to upgrade to VB.NET, whereas, in fact, it does now. NET was also messed up.

The reality is that Visual Basic 6 is used by many companies and applications in production environments, and many developers and enterprises need an ongoing solution. More than just words, there was a need for an executable alternative, so Royan began the journey of developing RAD Basic. Royan is an old programmer. In the 1990s, at the age of 12, he started learning GW-Basic. A few years later, QBasic and Power Basic were selected (both under DOS at the time). A few years later, Royan started developing programs with Visual Basic 4 and went through the era of Visual Basic5 and Visual Basic 6.

New features for RAD Basic:
    RAD Basic 0.5.0 Alpha 3 has been officially released. This latest release is all focused on the IDE, and it keeps emphasizing "new" features in the release notes, such as "added support for creating new projects" and "added support for adding, moving, and removing controls in the form Designer."

RAD Basic is back with VB 6, 100% compatible! - Open source basic software community

The goal of RAD Basic

Visual Basic was first released by Microsoft in 1991, and the last version was version 6.0 in 1998. VB6, or Visual Basic, is known as a rapid Application development (RAD) platform because it offers the possibility to design graphical interfaces very quickly by dragging components, with complex functionality and useful applications in a few lines of code. Even in 2021, there are still many people developing with Visual Basic 6 and using it to build many active applications. These people need a real alternative because they are developing with a tool that is 20 years old and there is no new version available.

Of course there's VB.NET, but that's a different language and a different platform. If you need to migrate your project, sorry, it is not compatible with your VB6 codebase.

A developer from Visual Basic says:

"Microsoft has been asked many times to open source VB6. This request has been denied many times without any reason. Removing a programming language from the community for no particular reason is an act of vandalism. The new Microsoft of these years claims to support open source, so why not? We're not asking Microsoft to develop VB7, we're just releasing it under an open source license and allowing the community to maintain it."

No matter what the developers say, Microsoft believes that "open source VB6 toolchain and its ecosystem is not feasible."

For all of these reasons, RAD Basic is a 100% compatible development environment and compiler with classic Visual Basic. RAD Basic bills itself as "the Visual Basic 7 that never happened, and its compiler and runtime libraries will be open source." This open source development approach completely unshackles Microsoft's refusal to open source Visual Basic 6. The Visual Basic community is furious that Microsoft chose to force a transition to the new, incompatible.NET environment. Therefore, RAD Basic does not want to repeat the same mistakes. The open source kernel ensures that development does not stop or redirect to incompatible paths.

Some time later, RAD Basic will be released in version 1.0, which will be available for Windows systems in x86 and x64, and future versions will support macOS and Linux.

The princes fought over Visual Basic

In fact, Microsoft developed VB very successful, but later gave up their own. The reality of RAD Basic still has some way to go, as does the inspiration that created it. And RAD Basic isn't the only game in town. An alternative to VB in various stages of development is twinBasic, which is also intended to be backward compatible with Visual Basic 6 and Office VBA. There is also a version called FreeBASIC, which implements most of the features hidden in Microsoft QuickBASIC (and has an IDE in the form of VisualFBEditor).

RAD Basic is back with VB 6, 100% compatible! - Open source basic software community It seems that it won't be long before we developers can relive the days when Visual Basic/Pascal was compatible/competitive with Delphi.

DoEvents()
    On Error Resume Next

Visual Basic, relaunch.

Author: Field Manager

Article from the public number: openGauss
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Jul 30th, 2023 at 12:39 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: Who has the twinbasic radbasic, everything the author detailed introduction?

There is no "twinbasic radbasic" . These are two different projects. One inches away from the crown of complete VB6 successor, one appears to be little more than a cash grab.

RAD Basic is functionally useless at this point. They're touting their big release coming any day now (for months) where they're almost finished being able to completely read .frx format added enum support. After 3 years. You can't use API declares, you can't define UDTs, you can't use compound conditions Or/And/Xor/Not, I think CreateObject is rigged to only support the single object for their ChatGPT gimmick. You can only make the very very simplest of programs, barely a step above "Hello World"

Meanwhile to find all that out, even basic status updates are locked behind a paywall, while Carles goes around with misleading language like "RadBasic IS 100% comparible" and "All common controls ARE available". Giving other people the false impression:

"RAD Basic is back with VB 6, 100% compatible! -" and "Today, RAD Basic is currently 100% compatible with Microsoft Visual Basic 6,"

These are false statements. That is a *goal*, not a current status. Right now, it's maybe 1% compatible, while twinBASIC is up in the 90s (tB has all VB6 syntax, but it's missing the printer object, some control properties/methods/events and some of the comctl32/mscomctl controls, mdi forms, active-x exe support, and has numerous bugs). RadBasic would need *decades* to catch up to twinBASIC at the rate it's been going, and that's if tB stopped development today. And because even the most basic details are paywalled, you won't find any of this out until you've paid up if nobody else tells you. tB is commercial too but has a powerful free community edition with few limits, and all status reports/bug tracking are public. No idea where the claim it's going to be open source originates when it's so heavily locked down now.

I don't know whether the question is ability or free time, but it's clear with rB just the bare minimum is being done to hold it out as an active project.
    Last edited by fafalone; Jul 29th, 2023 at 03:37 AM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Who has the twinbasic radbasic, everything the author detailed introduction?

Let me just guess, stab in the dark but you aren't a proponent of RADBasic then?
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

The original post in this thread is duly cited in the opening. It's an article in Chinese that was passed through a translator that did a pretty good, though not perfect, job. The article appears to be several years out of date. In fact, based on it saying that work on VB6 ended nearly 20 years ago, we can assume that this was probably written around 2017. Much has changed since that time. At the time, TwinBasic was NOT so far along, and there was considerably speculation as to which horse would win the race. By now, perhaps six years later on, that question has been thoroughly answered.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Were these projects even announced then? The domains weren't registered; rB has 'launching on kickstarter soon!' on the earliest wayback crawl from mid 2020 and the domain was registered in mid-2019.

The author is simply inaccurate on how long ago VB6 was; it references "Currently, RAD Basic 0.5.0 Alpha 3 is officially released," which means the article's "Published on 2022-5-12 17:12" is accurate.

But yes speculation back in 2020-2021 was certainly more reasonable, even though tB was far ahead of rB by early 2021 (so had likely been worked on for a bit before public disclosure). But that's not really the point here; tB was never misrepresenting it's status, was rB has since day 1. The article wasn't speculating about who will get there first, it was flat out saying rB was there while tB was 'in various stages of development'. I don't think it's an accident every article that talks to Carles seems to think it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Let me just guess, stab in the dark but you aren't a proponent of RADBasic then?
    When I first saw the videos of the form editor and heard some basic information, I thought it looked good and would be good to have competition here. But it's hard to conclude the details aren't harmful to any future VB6 successor being taken seriously, with years of articles continuing through today that put them on the same level (there were other recent, English-language, articles doing this, like the one that appeared on HackerNews).

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Were these projects even announced then? The domains weren't registered; rB has 'launching on kickstarter soon!' on the earliest wayback crawl from mid 2020 and the domain was registered in mid-2019.
    Frankly, I'm always shocked at how time is flying, so I wouldn't care to say when RB was first getting a conversation going about it. Feels like it was just yesterday, but since 2007 also feels like just yesterday, to me, I wouldn't care to take a guess at how long ago it really was. You may well be right. Some of the language in the article makes a whole lot more sense if it were written in 2017 or even 2018, but...it was clearly over optimistic, whenever it was written.

Still, a case could be made that the article was 'accurate' if it were published on the date you mentioned. That would be roughly 20 years since the first release of VB.NET, so if they set that as the date that MS officially moved on from VB6, then they're right...ish. Still overly optimistic, though.

It certainly looks like the race has been won, at this point. I wouldn't bet a dime on RB, at this point, as all my money would be on either TB....or still in my pocket. After all, I still have doubts about the whole undertaking, even if Wayne is an amazing, sleepless, robot.

The author is simply inaccurate on how long ago VB6 was; it references "Currently, RAD Basic 0.5.0 Alpha 3 is officially released," which means the article's "Published on 2022-5-12 17:12" is accurate.

But yes speculation back in 2020-2021 was certainly more reasonable, even though tB was far ahead of rB by early 2021 (so had likely been worked on for a bit before public disclosure). But that's not really the point here; tB was never misrepresenting it's status, was rB has since day 1. The article wasn't speculating about who will get there first, it was flat out saying rB was there while tB was 'in various stages of development'. I don't think it's an accident every article that talks to Carles seems to think it's a done deal.

When I first saw the videos of the form editor and heard some basic information, I thought it looked good and would be good to have competition here. But it's hard to conclude the details aren't harmful to any future VB6 successor being taken seriously, with years of articles continuing through today that put them on the same level (there were other recent, English-language, articles doing this, like the one that appeared on HackerNews).[/QUOTE]

PowerPoster

Again, the article wasn't speculating on who would win the race, it was saying rB won it. That it was *currently* 100% compatible. That was never accurate.

God I know what you mean about time flying though... my 'new' oleexp project is 8 years old and that was already 4 years years after I moved up north? Come on, how can I be so old when I just graduated college? What, that was 17 years ago?!?! Ugh.

PowerPoster

Again, the article wasn't speculating on who would win the race, it was saying rB won it. That it was *currently* 100% compatible. That was never accurate.

God I know what you mean about time flying though... my 'new' oleexp project is 8 years old and that was already 4 years years after I moved up north? Come on, how can I be so old when I just graduated college? What, that was 17 years ago?!?! Ugh.
    It may take 5-10 years to develop a complete IDE, invest millions of dollars in R&D expenses, and may not benefit from it at all.
    Companies that develop new energy vehicles can go public, and if they succeed in starting a business, they can get a capital return of tens of billions of dollars. It is no problem to sell their original shares and change careers.
    Programming IDEs are hard to go to market, and it is possible that 90% of startups will fail or not make money from it.

This is a Chinese author, Wu Tao, who invented two IDEs with VB6 syntax around 2001, with functions similar to DELPHI.
    But it was difficult to make money from it. After the development was completed, it basically declared bankruptcy.
    At present, it is only maintaining the survival status of the website, and its development has long since stopped. Volcano IDE sometimes has some minor updates.

About Volcano Software Development Platform
    https://doc.voldp.com/about.htm

Volcano software development platform, VB6 syntax, converted to VC++ project when compiling, can generate 64-bit EXE
    https://voldp.com/voldev.html

Easy language Chinese programming - product introduction, similar to VB6 syntax, can only generate 32-bit DLL and EXE
    (HAVE english version)
    https://www.dywt.com.cn/eprc.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Jul 30th, 2023 at 09:57 PM.

PowerPoster

The main content of this topic discussion is: the authors of these IDEs, who has detailed information. I want to interview what kind of person the author is.

For example, the author of VFB IDE in China, it is very simple to contact him.

Develop an IDE, the goal is to make money?Or is it just to continue the vitality of VB6, or like PYTHON, accidentally invent and distribute this software, and keep maintaining and updating it.There is also an author in China who has developed an AARDIO IDE, which is also very functional. The development time is 3-5 years, plus the cumulative maintenance time is 17 years.Can't get any monetary return from it, what do they think?

https://www.aardio.com/

https://download.aardio.com/images/aardio.png
    https://download.aardio.com/images/editor.gif

PowerPoster

Salute to individual authors or small startups who insist on developing IDEs.

A Chinese author has developed an AARDIO IDE, the function is also very good, the development time is 3-5 years, plus the cumulative maintenance time is 17 years.
    Can't get any monetary return from it, what do they think?
    ------------
    In 2017, I spent almost all of my time developing and maintaining aardio, often fighting overnight for several consecutive nights. Although I also encountered various misunderstandings and difficulties, aardio has always persisted. The reason why aardio has been able to persist in development for so many years is because of my wife's silent dedication and support over the years! But the world is uncertain, my beloved wife was diagnosed with cancer, terminal. I want to put everything down to save her, and I don't have any energy to maintain aardio. I can only say sorry to all the users who support and love aardio. I scribbled these few lines, goodbye, everyone
    -------------
    Perhaps, many people just regard some relatively simple but fully functional IDEs as free sharing software to benefit the society.
    Although it cannot be compared with Microsoft's VS development tools and VSCODE, it is still very good to quickly generate EXE and develop some automatic scripting tools.
    Persisting alone for 17 years, the author of aardio: "Because my wife has cancer, I no longer have the energy to maintain the project"|aardio|Application|Source Code|Programming Language|Call_Mobile NetEase
    https://m.163.com/dy/article/HUU7LQ8B0511FQO9.html

For amateur developers (not programmers and engineers who develop software in the company every day), it is very convenient for us to have some relatively small development tools, such as PYTHON.
    It’s just that PYTHON runs at a relatively slow speed, and various dependencies are more complicated, so I like some IDEs that occupy less hard disk to develop EXE or DLL.

An IDE with a VBA development environment, maybe only about 20M
    The core function of VB6 ide is only 10MB (ZIP file 4.5MB) (does not include enterprise version controls and other files)
    AARDIO is only 19MB, (ZIP file is 6.5mb)

PowerPoster

FireFly ide, maybe a paid IDE, I don't know how much money it can make.Vbsedit has also been invented for more than 20 years, but it has almost never been updated and developed in the past 10 years. It would be very powerful if a visual form designer could be added. It can generate EXE from VBS code, and generate EXE from HTML+JS
    https://www.vbsedit.com/

Since the birth of FreeBASIC for more than ten years, its IDE has been in the state of a code editor without any automatic processing. Except for experienced programming masters, novices have no way to start, and they have no way of knowing where to start. Until 2015, the FireFly software developed by Paul Squires (Nationality: Canada) appeared, which greatly simplifies FB programming and enables novices to write software with FB.

Although FireFly has brought great progress to FB's IDE, many of them are unsatisfactory. So at the end of 2016, Yongfang began to patch FireFly for more than 2 years. Because there is no source code, he can only use DLL combined with plug-in technology. to mend. In the study of FireFly, I have gradually accumulated a lot of experience as an IDE.

It has been patched from FireFly 3.X and has been changed for more than 2 years. It has been very mature and named VisualFreeBasic 4.X. However, due to the lack of IDE source code, it is impossible to continue to improve and add better functions. So starting in June 2019, from scratch At the beginning, I wrote VFB5 with VFB4. After 5 months (with experience and imitation, and using a lot of code written for FireFly before, I wrote it in a short time. If there is nothing, because only Yongfang wrote it, Expected at least 1 year), a stable beta version was released, so VisualFreeBasic5 was born. Programming is endless, life is endless, and improvements are endless. VisualFreeBasic will get better and better.

Many people will wonder? Has FireFly 3.X not been updated for so many years? Yes, no update, because FireFly was developed with PowerBASIC, not FreeBASIC, so Paul Squith wanted to use FreeBASIC to develop it. From 2017 Started to develop a software called WinFBE in 2010, and it was open source, but the development efficiency was too low. After 3 years, this software still looks like a semi-finished product, and it is only suitable for experts to play. It is impossible for novices to play at all, and it seriously deviates from the original FireFly way. .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Re: Who has the twinbasic,radbasic,everything software,the author detailed introducti

The administrator is very unfriendly and always randomly transfers to other sections.
    We will always support VB6.Other IDEs are just a ah, new invention, it's not other VB languages.
    This topic will only be displayed in the VB6 section for a few days.
    We're just talking about, alas, what companies and individuals continue to play for VB6?
    Do you think Microsoft alone can hold up the sky?

PowerPoster

Re: Who has the twinbasic,radbasic,everything software,the author detailed introducti

This theme doesn't belong to other Basic language

The core lies in the exchange of VB-related IDE and the author's ideas.Science and technology have no national boundaries. Why do we always have to separate you from me?
    For example, Microsoft, Bill Gates originally developed the idea of basic.

PowerPoster

At that time, I don't know what the administrator's idea is.Probably the only one that can benefit from this theme is twinbasic, because it's a commercial work, and it's paid for.
    But at the beginning of my topic, I was mainly based on the introduction of this radbasic author.In fact, I don't think much of him either. It is also hoped that free products can compete with these commercial products.
    I hope the price of twinbasic can be lower. If there is no competition, he will be as dominant as Microsoft, and he will stop updating if he wants to.

The VB6 forums are about programming questions / topics for VB6.
    All topics and discussions related to other basic dialects, like Radbasic, Freebasic and TwinBasic don’t belong in VB6 forums

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    The administrator is very unfriendly and always randomly transfers to other sections.
    We will always support VB6.Other IDEs are just a ah, new invention, it's not other VB languages.
    We're just talking about, alas, what companies and individuals continue to play for VB6?
    Do you think Microsoft alone can hold up the sky?

At that time, I don't know what the administrator's idea is.Probably the only one that can benefit from this theme is twinbasic, because it's a commercial work, and it's paid for.
    But at the beginning of my topic, I was mainly based on the introduction of this radbasic author.In fact, I don't think much of him either. It is also hoped that free products can compete with these commercial products.
    I hope the price of twinbasic can be lower. If there is no competition, he will be as dominant as Microsoft, and he will stop updating if he wants to.
    You can always start your own VB Forum website and then you could post whatever you wanted wherever you wanted to there, and would have full control over all content yourself. Let us know if you need help doing just that.

The VB6 forum is for VB6 (and earlier).

RadBasic and TwinBasic etc are not VB6, and they are not the same as VB6. They are similar to VB6 in a lot of ways, but there are differences too, so the VB6 forum is not the right place for discusions about them - the "Other Basic" forum is the place for them.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Jul 30th, 2023 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

PowerPoster

I would respectfully disagree with considering tB a different dialect, any moreso than VB1-3 are different "dialects" because VB6 later added additional syntax features. Calling what is a de facto VB7 an entirely different language is not accurate. Whether it's a different language or not is answered by 'will all the existing code run with very minimal or no change'. That's a no for VB.NET, FreeBasic, PowerBasic, B4A, etc; but it's a yes for twinBASIC. It's especially not the same as "any IDE that vaguely looks like VB6's is VB6" that xiaoyao is saying. Would a discussion of C++ language features from C++20 not belong in the C++ forum because they don't conform 100% to C++98? Tons of new language features since C++98. Or is it limited to Visual C++, which has slight syntax differences and is controlled by MS?

A more relevant question might be "If I ask this question, will solutions assuming it's VB6 be applicable?". For tB, that's a yes, for the rest, it's a no. Like I asked a question about SAFEARRAYs before. It didn't matter it was actually a question for a twinBASIC program of mine, you wouldn't even know the difference if I didn't just tell you. And the answer didn't matter for me, because it's correct for either, because they're the same language.

Now I think dedicated topics entirely about it might belong here until there's a dedicated forum when it's more popular, but I don't think spillover is inappropriate over trivial differences like those between VB1-3 and VB5-6.

(This isn't a defense of xiaoyao's complete inability to stay on topic even when he's not talking about a different language, just a response to some of the replies).
    Last edited by fafalone; Jul 30th, 2023 at 05:42 PM.

That may turn out to be true. There might even be a TB forum, at some point. I don't think we're there, yet, but it will take some discussion eventually. At this point, Other Basic pretty much IS TB, because there's no other game in town...at least not in the English language.

PowerPoster

Even if Microsoft discriminates against VB6 very much, VB6 and VC6 are equally important products. In the early days, VB6 was the most important asset. When Microsoft started, there were no VC development tools yet.
    Because of the competition from JAVA, there is C#, but JAVA can't be defeated. Instead, VB6 and VB.NET are committed suicide, and finally VB.NET has stopped updating permanently.
    Even Microsoft has abandoned the VB language, not to mention the webmaster does not understand the VB language.
    I think it is more appropriate to classify RADBASIC, twinbasic, and freebasic into VB7, but there will never be a VB7 section, and even if there is, no developer will open it.
    This is a form of discrimination. If a company recruits employees with VB, VB.NET, and PYTHON, and some of them are developed with TWINBASIC, it is unfair to isolate them from the VB6 development team and let them work in the basement.
    If these IDEs are completely unrelated to VB6, it can indeed be moved to the non-VB section. But the idea of ??RADBASIC and twinbasic is to be 100% compatible with VB6, why should they entrap them?

I think there is about 70% similarity, ordinary people can easily use these IDEs to develop, and they should be displayed in the VB6 section. Because there are not many posts like this, and it does not mean that half of the topics are TWINBASIC, the website may think that they did not pay a cent for advertising, and they are not allowed to surpass VB6.

PowerPoster

It is strongly required that the website allows IDEs that are highly consistent with VB6 syntax to publish articles in VB6 forums and channels. At least there should be a theme approved by the website administrator or actively published.
    We cannot go backwards and stifle the growth of startups.

Companies that have purchased VISUAL STUDIO 6.0 Enterprise Edition products, as well as some enthusiasts, university research institutions or Microsoft's best supporters, have all been abandoned by Microsoft.
    I think whether open source is a free choice for enterprises, and users cannot force them to open source.
    As long as it can still be opened and used, as long as the compiled EXE can still run on WIN10, WIN11.
    But we have the right to re-develop an IDE similar to VB6 and VB7, the degree of imitation is 50%, 90% or even several times higher than that of vb6.

It’s like Qualcomm’s 5G technology is very strong, but Huawei’s 5G technology surpasses Qualcomm’s and patents are much more than Qualcomm’s. In essence, Qualcomm and other mobile phone companies should pay patent fees to Huawei, but the United States directly prohibits the sale of Huawei mobile phones in the United States. It is forbidden for other manufacturers to produce OEMs for Huawei (for example, TSMC produces HiSilicon mobile phone CPUs for Huawei).
    This is a kind of technological monopoly. If one's own ability is not enough, it will harm the peers.

It is forbidden to publish IDEs and products beyond VB6. I think the technical reasons are:
    1. Microsoft's legal requirements require our forum not to discuss products that imitate the design of VB6
    2. I am afraid that RADBASIC is cheating money, because they do not provide download URLs at all, and they may not be able to complete the design in 10 years. They only charge money but cannot make qualified products
    3. I am afraid that TWINBASIC will be reposted by netizens without paying advertising fees, so as to grow and get more subscription fees.

about:===========
    Of course there's VB.NET, but that's a different language and a different platform. If you need to migrate your project, sorry, it is not compatible with your VB6 codebase.

A developer from Visual Basic says:

"Microsoft has been asked many times to open source VB6. This request has been denied many times without any reason. Removing a programming language from the community for no particular reason is an act of vandalism. The new Microsoft of these years claims to support open source, so why not? We're not asking Microsoft to develop VB7, we're just releasing it under an open source license and allowing the community to maintain it."

No matter what the developers say, Microsoft believes that "open source VB6 toolchain and its ecosystem is not feasible."

For all of these reasons, RAD Basic is a 100% compatible development environment and compiler with classic Visual Basic. RAD Basic bills itself as "the Visual Basic 7 that never happened, and its compiler and runtime libraries will be open source." This open source development approach completely unshackles Microsoft's refusal to open source Visual Basic 6. The Visual Basic community is furious that Microsoft chose to force a transition to the new, incompatible.NET environment. Therefore, RAD Basic does not want to repeat the same mistakes. The open source kernel ensures that development does not stop or redirect to incompatible paths.
    ===============

Frenzied Member

It may take 5-10 years to develop a complete IDE, invest millions of dollars in R&D expenses, and may not benefit from it at all.
    Companies that develop new energy vehicles can go public, and if they succeed in starting a business, they can get a capital return of tens of billions of dollars. It is no problem to sell their original shares and change careers.
    Programming IDEs are hard to go to market, and it is possible that 90% of startups will fail or not make money from it.

This is a Chinese author, Wu Tao, who invented two IDEs with VB6 syntax around 2001, with functions similar to DELPHI.
    But it was difficult to make money from it. After the development was completed, it basically declared bankruptcy.
    At present, it is only maintaining the survival status of the website, and its development has long since stopped. Volcano IDE sometimes has some minor updates.

About Volcano Software Development Platform
    https://doc.voldp.com/about.htm

Volcano software development platform, VB6 syntax, converted to VC++ project when compiling, can generate 64-bit EXE
    https://voldp.com/voldev.html

Easy language Chinese programming - product introduction, similar to VB6 syntax, can only generate 32-bit DLL and EXE
    https://www.dywt.com.cn/eprc.htm
    Yi-Language(Easy-Language) even has a dongle(softdog) version. The stupidity of the author really shocked me. I have no sympathy for the author's poverty at all (because his poverty is caused by stupidity).

PowerPoster

Microsoft stopped VB6 free technical support, hundreds of MVPs wrote a letter to protest
    2005-3-16
    Recently, more than 100 programmers jointly signed a request for Microsoft to change its plan to stop supporting Visual Basic 6. These developers are members of Microsoft's "Most Valuable Professional" (MVP) and have great influence in the program development community.

These developers believe that Microsoft's action will render the millions of applications developed using Visual Basic 6 useless, and will also make VB programmers who have not yet learned other languages ????in trouble.
    Microsoft has previously stated that it will stop technical support for Visual Basic 6 at the end of March this year, and will no longer provide free upgrades to the software, but users can still obtain technical support through paid methods within 3 years.

The MVP organization hopes that Microsoft will change its plan and continue to provide support for the VB language in Visual Basic.Net. They also believe that users should have the right to decide how and when to port their code to the .NET platform.

PowerPoster

In essence, twinbaisc, freebasic, and many projects can be developed with these IDEs, which are almost the same as VB6. In fact, I rarely use them. I'm not advertising for them either.

Because they can't all surpass VB6, there is no VB6 convenience. Just like XP replaces WIN98, WIN7 replaces XP. Only when there is a real transcendence, more than half of the people will give up VB6.

But these newly invented IDEs can indeed replace VB6 in many cases, such as developing standard DLLs and creating 64-bit DLLs. At least for now, we can use these IDEs together. But VB.NET does not have this kind of treatment here.

If it is 2005 and VB.NET has just become popular, if someone communicates in the VB6 forum, is it convenient to upgrade the VB6 project to VB.NET? What is the difference between VB6 syntax and .NET, and then it was ruthlessly transferred to other sections, which is not reasonable. Because such an article is for VB6 lovers, it needs everyone's communication and help.

Frenzied Member

The main content of this topic discussion is: the authors of these IDEs, who has detailed information. I want to interview what kind of person the author is.

For example, the author of VFB IDE in China, it is very simple to contact him.

Develop an IDE, the goal is to make money?Or is it just to continue the vitality of VB6, or like PYTHON, accidentally invent and distribute this software, and keep maintaining and updating it.There is also an author in China who has developed an AARDIO IDE, which is also very functional. The development time is 3-5 years, plus the cumulative maintenance time is 17 years.Can't get any monetary return from it, what do they think?

https://www.aardio.com/

https://download.aardio.com/images/aardio.png
    https://download.aardio.com/images/editor.gif
    Is there an English version of AARDIO-IDE? If the author thinks his programming language is good enough, it should be put out to the world for people to test and use.

In addition, what is the most unique and competitive advantage of AARDIO? Also, is there a table to compare the advantages and disadvantages of AARDIO with other languages?
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jul 30th, 2023 at 08:27 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Yi-Language(Easy-Language) even has a dongle(softdog) version. The stupidity of the author really shocked me. I have no sympathy for the author's poverty at all (because his poverty is caused by stupidity).
    In the earliest days, the "e" programming language was used to popularize programming technology for universities and high schools. So it has been providing dongle authorization, in fact, he can also use the online authorization mechanism like VS. But this software has also stopped updating for about 15 years, and he has no plan to adopt the latest licensing mechanism or monthly subscription method.

Selling IDEs doesn't actually make much money, he just uses these fees to keep the website updated, to stay alive instead of going out of business. Maintenance is also costly.
    In fact, there are a lot of pirated cracked versions, and few people buy them.
    For the development of IDE, the most valuable thing is that the company goes public, with a market value of billions of dollars, and then entrepreneurs sell the original shares, and then switch to invest in other industries, such as buying shares of SPACE rocket company.
    Just like Microsoft treats PYTHON, it has been suppressed before, and it has never been eye-catching. Four employees have been arranged for long-term maintenance support. At least, he has no objection, prohibits PYTHON from challenging VS development tools, and is not afraid that it will reduce C#'s sales revenue.

If Microsoft allows VB6 to arrange 5 employees for long-term technical maintenance, and VB.NET arranges 20 employees for long-term maintenance and upgrade, it will not take up too much salary cost.
    The only thing I feel afraid of is that if the VB6 maintainer steals the source code, and then develops VB7 to sell.
    It is really heartbreaking to cut it off directly, and no one maintains it.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Jul 30th, 2023 at 08:33 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Is there an English version of AARDIO-IDE? If the author thinks his programming language is good enough, it should be put out to the world for people to test and use.

In addition, what is the most unique and competitive advantage of AARDIO? Also, is there a table to compare the advantages and disadvantages of AARDIO with other languages?
    Maybe you don't know if it works until you try it. He may not provide an English section, but some translation software can directly change the Chinese fonts on the menus and buttons on the EXE software into English. Maybe his number of users is 100,000, and the number of regular users is 10,000.
    Just like rc6.dll and webview2, having a certain number of users is the motivation of the author, although he cannot get any income from it.
    He just likes that syntax, and if he does, it's easy to convert directly to VB6 syntax.
    For me, VB6 has almost no class library support (there are hundreds of AADRIOD support libraries), VB6 multithreading, standard DLL, how to write service programs, INI modules, registry read and write modules, registration-free loading DLL modules , I have to find and package them one by one from the Internet. I'm tired and it's not easy.
    That's why I said to the author (codehelper product) who is developing a modern VB script tool, if you can add a package manager function such as NPM.EXE, neget, or an online source library function, such a function is a VB6 lover most needed.

Frenzied Member

You have a lot of good suggestions, I'll seriously consider them.

PowerPoster

Some authors in China, some are purely hobbies, and have no intention of getting any monetary returns from it. Some also refuse sponsorship fees from advertisers, don't want them to add a few advertising banners on the IDE, and don't want to add advertising banners on websites and forums.
    Some only do technology, don't know marketing, don't know how to add advertising banners, and how to attract advertisers.
    Some make products just to release free shareware and prove their abilities to the world.
    When looking for a job or looking for a business partner, they see such a great product, and their salary can increase several times.

Just like this tool similar to the hotmail client, Jinshan Company planned to spend 50,000 US dollars to acquire it (source code), but after communicating with the author, the technicians sent by the company realized that such a product could be imitated by the company for 10,000 US dollars. One, just give up.
    How much did Tencent pay for Foxmail?
    First, in 1998, Lei Jun wanted to acquire 15W, and the two parties agreed to discuss in detail whether Lei Jun went there. He was busy with Lenovo's capital injection, but it failed.
    Second, in 2000, Boda Internet Corporation 1200W acquired Foxmail. 3. In March 2005, it was wholly-owned by Tencent, and it was rumored to be 5 million US dollars.
    Originally, such a product might not be worth a penny. The author just developed it as a toy game of his own. Maybe the salary of finding a job can increase a lot.
    However, the capital market took a fancy to his value, and finally acquired the product, and the author also needs to join in to continue to develop more powerful products, and will invent more other software products.
    For example, WeChat was invented in this way (equivalent to Twitter, FACEBOOK), which is the most popular product in China.
    The author's value went from an initial $20,000 acquisition to $200 million

Foxmail for Windows (free product, there should be an English version, please download and try)
    https://www.foxmail.com/

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That may turn out to be true. There might even be a TB forum, at some point. I don't think we're there, yet, but it will take some discussion eventually. At this point, Other Basic pretty much IS TB, because there's no other game in town...at least not in the English language.
    Many new VB6-like IDEs want to replace VB6 or surpass it.
    Our forum is actually based on VB6+VB.NET. If these articles are transferred to "OTHER", it will be the same as being deleted. It's like saying: It is not allowed to send topics that are not related to VB6, VB.NET

Unless one day more than half of the VB6 developers in the world use TWINBASIC to develop
    Then the forum section becomes the three most important sections of Twinbasic, vb6, and vb.net
    Even so, I think the discussion of TWINBASIC in VB6 should still be allowed. After all, Microsoft’s 20-year glory cannot be 100% replaced by other products.

Why are pictures uploaded on the forum compressed and blurry? Is lossless compression so difficult? Is it okay to set the compression rate a little lower?
    After 281kb is compressed, it is only 38KB, and the image size is only half, and the picture is completely unclear. Is the website so poor, and the image storage capacity is gone?

vfb have english version,power basic is english version.
    freebasic have more than 5 ide

https://www.freebasic.net/forum/view...55e87cdf135cb1
    VisualFBEditor - FreeBasic 的 IDE - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27284

FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2023.07.28) - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23935

WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023) - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25215

Name:  dark1.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  37.9 KB
    https://www.planetsquires.com/images/dark1.png
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Jul 30th, 2023 at 10:11 PM.

PowerPoster

If radbasic is a fake project, but he is also promoting the faster development of TWINBASIC, because two IDEs with almost the same functions, whoever wins first can occupy the market.
    If it is a real company that seriously develops the IDE, the release will be completed soon. Then we have two IDEs that can almost 100% open VB6 projects, and the purchase price will also be reduced, which is very beneficial to ordinary users.

In fact, I am not optimistic about radbasic, I am more optimistic about twinbasic.
    Perhaps the author of radbasic has a more exciting experience, but it may be developed by amateurs, with a small number of people, and the technical ability may not be able to do it, so it may not be successful.
    And twinbasic is developed by the team, releasing a complete cross-age product, maybe 2 years, maybe 3 years, it is completely predictable. There are just a lot of technical difficulties to overcome.

PowerPoster

vb.net Threads: 178,519
    Visual Basic 6 and Earlier Threads: 270,197
    other basic:Threads 414

The purpose of my posting this topic is to understand how many people are developing IDEs similar to VB6, and what are the thoughts of these companies and authors.

What kind of people are they, in order to provide the IDE for free (continuing the life of VB6 for the benefit of everyone), or to sell more IDEs
    Regardless of the purpose, it is beneficial for VB6 lovers.
    I am not promoting anyone to buy a paid IDE, on the contrary I hope they can be free, or reduce the price. Competition can drive prices down.

You put this topic into Other basic, which is equivalent to deleting this post, which is very sad. After all, a forum with 270,000 topics is treated completely differently from a forum with only 400 topics.

PowerPoster

Our forum is actually based on VB6+VB.NET. If these articles are transferred to "OTHER", it will be the same as being deleted. It's like saying: It is not allowed to send topics that are not related to VB6, VB.NET
    It's the language, not the IDE, that is most important. How many discussions in the VB6 forum are discussing the IDE? 0.1%? People are there to talk about the the VB language. Nobody is interested in learning a whole new language simply because the IDE looks like VB6. That may be a factor for someone who's looking to learn a new language, but then they'll be looking at "other basic" options.

The IDE is important though. I would use a VB6-fashioned IDE for javascript or Delph, if it offered seamless introduction to another language. To have a common IDE of similar quality on other languages, that functions in a familiar fashion, would be a dream.

If someone had created just such an IDE that facilitated migration from VB6 then it would entice someone like myself to try it out. When VB.NET was first foisted upon us, the differences in the IDE were major disincentives which, when coupled with the language and functionality changes combines, it put a lot of people off permanently.

For example, SDO is creating an IDE for a scripting language and if he manages to create that environment and toolchain, I will definitely use it, if the IDE is familiar enough that I can just hit the ground running.

Some of us have more than one language under our belt and a common toolset/toolchain is a desirable thing in itself. I will theme/configure any tool I use to try to gain more VB6IDE-ishness, same keystrokes and same layout wherever possible.

No denying the language is most important but the IDE and toolchain is an ESSENTIAL component that makes VB6 desirable. It is STILL after 20+ years of stalled development, a cut above that offered by many/most other languages.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Yeah, but you're steampunk. I can't stand the VB6 IDE. The lack of features grates on my nerves. The VS IDE has too many features, and they default to on, which can seriously task the CPU, but if they were opt in rather than opt out, it would be excellent.

Yes, that's horses for courses and each to his own and other thimilar thayings, excuse my lisp.

The point being, some aspects/chracteristics have equal priorities for others, depending upon need.

In the complete absence of a slimline, fast, familiar and functional IDE for the other languages I am using, the VB6 IDE by comparison, seems amazing.

I'm using VS Code for one project and it seems impressive in many respects but a lot of what the VB6 IDE does intrinsically very well, debugging, search/replace, VS code seems clunky. I've only used full VS up to 2010 and it just annoyed me at every turn, I can't remember what erked me the most but I think it was a combination of everything. I am sure later versions are better - and slower.

M
    I am unsure as to whether having 5 x IDEs is a positive. How many Linuxes do we have? Disparate attempts always at creating thomething thimilar (excuse my lisp) ultimately time wasted? I know what that's like.

I have tried most of not all the BASICS over the years. PowerBasic, FreeBasic, RealBasic, Jabaco, KBasic, does anyone remember those last two? The similarity to VB in language and IDE is what attracts us, the idea of hitting-the-ground-running is what we hope for - but finding ourselves stymied by an unfamiliar and blocking operating environment and then finding the language is sufficiently different to act as an anchor to our progress has been enough to revert us back to still-running VB6.

The death of 32bit apps was probably the only thing that could have torn me away from VB6 to one of the above.

In all the years of looking for alternatives, we have somewhat been proved correct in our wait for so long. VB.NET has been abandoned in the same way MS abandoned VB6 but for us there are or will be, alternatives. FreeBasic with its IDE could have had some traction if the IDE and docs had been written in English from the outset. Now though, it is too late. We have TB coming and then perhaps RB/OB/SDOBs sometime after that...

The choice was never going to be the aforementioned FB IDE whilst it retained its Chinese character and essence. That was NEVER going to work.

RB RADBasic
    OB OlafBasic
    SDOBs SDO BScript

Frenzied Member

Unless one day more than half of the VB6 developers in the world use TWINBASIC to develop
    Then the forum section becomes the three most important sections of Twinbasic, vb6, and vb.net
    Even so, I think the discussion of TWINBASIC in VB6 should still be allowed. After all, Microsoft’s 20-year glory cannot be 100% replaced by other products.

Why are pictures uploaded on the forum compressed and blurry? Is lossless compression so difficult? Is it okay to set the compression rate a little lower?
    After 281kb is compressed, it is only 38KB, and the image size is only half, and the picture is completely unclear. Is the website so poor, and the image storage capacity is gone?

vfb have english version,power basic is english version.

https://www.freebasic.net/forum/view...55e87cdf135cb1
    VisualFBEditor - FreeBasic 的 IDE - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27284

FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2023.07.28) - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23935

WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023) - freebasic.net
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25215

Name:  dark1.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  37.9 KB
    https://www.planetsquires.com/images/dark1.png
    Hi xiaoyao,

I wanted to learn about the latest VisualFreeBasic, but my browser prompted that the files downloaded from its official website contained malware, and then the files were deleted by the security tool on my computer. Could you upload a latest version to your github account? Thanks!

PowerPoster

I know I'm late to the party on this discussion, but it could be argued that the statement is accurate. It has to do with how sets and subsets work.

If you can take every line of code written in RadBASIC and copy/paste it into VB6, and it will all run with no changes, then it is arguably an accurate statement to say that RadBASIC is 100% compatible with VB6.

It doesn't mean that RadBASIC has implemented 100% of VB6 syntax, which it obviously hasn't. Yes, it seems a tad deceitful, as most people would interpret the other way around, that all VB6 code can be used in RadBASIC currently.

Yes, that's horses for courses and each to his own and other thimilar thayings, excuse my lisp.
    This is a VB forum. We don't have a forum for lisp.

I am sure later versions are better - and slower.
    Yes, that's a pretty apt description. There are features that I use all the time, and which are so obviously a good idea that they should have been there all along (whatever they call the ghost lines that show which block start matches which block end), while there are others that still baffle me as to what they could possibly be used for (previewing, for example). While the IDE runs quickly (aside from WPF XAML pages, which are just slow) once loaded, it doesn't load very fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast