Thread: [RESOLVED] Parse Frm&Frx and display UI elements dynamically on a VB6-Form

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Parse Frm&Frx and display UI elements dynamically on a VB6-Form

I'm working on a FormViewer that parses Frm&Frx and displays UI elements(controls) dynamically on a VB6-Form. Even third-party controls can be parsed and displayed on the Form. The display looks exactly the same as VB6-IDE's FormDesigner. I know it's not an easy thing to do, I'd like to get some ideas or tips from the forum. Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Recently, I have some trouble surfing the Internet, so I may not be able to reply to the information of the forum in time, but I can use my phone to browse some forum information.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; May 31st, 2023 at 06:03 AM.

Re: Parse Frm and Frx and display UI elements in a running VB6-Form

Hello SDO,

This is something I've tried to do a few times, and failed. Also, in the past, LaVolpe tried to do it, and I don't believe he ever succeeded.

Let me summarize, in my words, what I think you're asking: While running (possibly either IDE or compiled), you'd like to get the "initial" property settings of a form in the project. In other words, you'd like to "get" the properties seen in the IDE while in design-time (but while we're running).

They're certainly there. Otherwise, how would the form know how to position and size itself when loading (and set any/all other properties)? So, they're obviously somewhere.

The problem is, I've never seen anyone "fetch" them.

Now, just to be clear, we're not talking about something like: Form1.Left or Form1.Width, etcetera.

Sure, if they haven't been changed, those can certainly "get" them. But, if they've been changed in code, then fetching the properties like that are not what will be in the design-time properties window. So, where are those "initial" properties? IDK, and I'd love to know how to fetch them.

------------------

LaVolpe tried to figure this out when he was working on dynamic DPI-aware stuff, trying to re-size the forms when DPI was changed in Windows. His problem was, if we're going back to 100%, he'd rather use those "initial" sizes, and not some resized values, to avoid rounding errors when going back and forth.

------------------

Personally, I can think of several good uses for them ... possibly allowing a "reset" button on a form that is sizable, but also with an initial size that makes sense for certain things. Sure, in that instance, I could just save the initial size, but it's already saved somewhere, but not a place I know how to get it from.

-------------------

And sure, we could write some class that fetches all the properties during load, and then we could "attach" that class to every form. But again, that just seem like bloat, when the information is already there somewhere.

-------------------

ADDED: And basically, it's the same problem when thinking about controls. Light-weight controls may be even more difficult.
    Last edited by Elroy; May 30th, 2023 at 09:05 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Hyperactive Member

sorry I misunderstood
    I am very interested in your projects, hopefully it will take a little while

PowerPoster

twinbasic,It can import the VB6 project, indicating that it has solved the problem.If you try to send him an email, can he send you some code?

PowerPoster

It has always been imitated and never surpassed.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Hello SDO,

This is something I've tried to do a few times, and failed. Also, in the past, LaVolpe tried to do it, and I don't believe he ever succeeded.

Let me summarize, in my words, what I think you're asking: While running (possibly either IDE or compiled), you'd like to get the "initial" property settings of a form in the project. In other words, you'd like to "get" the properties seen in the IDE while in design-time (but while we're running).

They're certainly there. Otherwise, how would the form know how to position and size itself when loading (and set any/all other properties)? So, they're obviously somewhere.

The problem is, I've never seen anyone "fetch" them.

Now, just to be clear, we're not talking about something like: Form1.Left or Form1.Width, etcetera.

Sure, if they haven't been changed, those can certainly "get" them. But, if they've been changed in code, then fetching the properties like that are not what will be in the design-time properties window. So, where are those "initial" properties? IDK, and I'd love to know how to fetch them.

------------------

LaVolpe tried to figure this out when he was working on dynamic DPI-aware stuff, trying to re-size the forms when DPI was changed in Windows. His problem was, if we're going back to 100%, he'd rather use those "initial" sizes, and not some resized values, to avoid rounding errors when going back and forth.

------------------

Personally, I can think of several good uses for them ... possibly allowing a "reset" button on a form that is sizable, but also with an initial size that makes sense for certain things. Sure, in that instance, I could just save the initial size, but it's already saved somewhere, but not a place I know how to get it from.

-------------------

And sure, we could write some class that fetches all the properties during load, and then we could "attach" that class to every form. But again, that just seem like bloat, when the information is already there somewhere.

-------------------

ADDED: And basically, it's the same problem when thinking about controls. Light-weight controls may be even more difficult.
    The information you provided is very useful, thank you very much, Elroy.

I modified my question:
    Parse Frm&Frx and display UI elements dynamically on a VB6-Form.

IMO, if I can parse the contents of the Frx file exactly correctly, then I should be able to find a way to complete my project.

Olaf seems to have written a class cParseFRX, but I haven't tested it yet. You also seem to have written a tool for parsing Frx, and when I find it, I'll test it carefully.

As xiaoyao said, since twinBasic can convert VB6 projects 100%, it means that there must be a way to solve my problem, and I'll continue to explore all possible solutions.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; May 31st, 2023 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    As xiaoyao said, since twinBasic can convert VB6 projects 100%, it means that there must be a way to solve my problem, and I'll continue to explore all possible solutions.
    I almost responded to this when he said it. But converting source code vs digging out compiled properties of an executable are two very different things.

--------------------

Also, a FRX file is just binary data associated with a FRM file. The offsets into the FRX file for those binary chunks are in the FRM file. That binary data can be pretty much anything.
    Last edited by Elroy; May 31st, 2023 at 08:26 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Re: Parse Frm&Frx and display UI elements dynamically on a VB6-Form

I read a forum on a Russian website today.They said that the source code of VB6 is estimated to be 600,000 lines.So it should not be easy to achieve.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I almost responded to this when he said it. But converting source code vs digging out compiled properties of an executable are two very different things.

--------------------

Also, a FRX file is just binary data associated with a FRM file. The offsets into the FRX file for those binary chunks are in the FRM file. That binary data can be pretty much anything.
    Thank you, Elroy.

I found your thread 'Structure of FRX files', and I found Olad and DreamManor's thread in your thread. I have a memory like a fish.

However, it doesn't seem like an easy task to dynamically display ActiveX UI elements on a VB6-Form.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 2nd, 2023 at 11:07 PM.

Re: [RESOLVED] Parse Frm&Frx and display UI elements dynamically on a VB6-Form

from MSDN library for vb.forms(object)

For Each Control in Form1.Controls
    Control.Visible = False
    Next Control

So using this logic, you could pull the properties using something like this.

Code:
    Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
       Debug.Print Me.Name

Dim Ctrl As Control
       For Each Ctrl In Form1.Controls
          Debug.Print "Control Name : " & Ctrl.Name & vbCrLf & "["
          On Error Resume Next
           Debug.Print "Left : " & Ctrl.Left
          On Error Resume Next
          Debug.Print "Top : " & Ctrl.Top
          On Error Resume Next
          Debug.Print "Height : " & Ctrl.Height
          On Error Resume Next
          Debug.Print "Width : " & Ctrl.Width
          On Error Resume Next
          Debug.Print "Value : " & Ctrl.Value
          On Error Resume Next
          Debug.Print "Text : """ & Ctrl.Text & """"

Next Ctrl

End Sub

The question was about parsing the *.FRM and .FRX, not about getting the properties during runtime

PowerPoster

twinbasic addin by vbs,vb6 · Issue #1094 · twinbasic/twinbasic
    https://github.com/twinbasic/twinbasic/issues/1094

I don't know when your script IDE can be tested publicly. It's time to give it a name. It's also a good mode for people to use while developing.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    I don't know when your script IDE can be tested publicly. It's time to give it a name. It's also a good mode for people to use while developing.
    My FormDesigner is still 3 weeks away from completion. After that, I'll start developing the Code-Debugger. Once this is done, I'll release the first beta version for my scripting language IDE. I hope to achieve this goal by the end of this year.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 15th, 2023 at 08:59 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    My FormDesigner is still 3 weeks away from completion. After that, I'll start developing the Code-Debugger. Once this is done, I'll release the first beta version for my scripting language IDE. I hope to achieve this goal by the end of this year.
    i hope to try next week,can test some