Thread: Is there a third party LAN full-duplex communication control?

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

Is there a third party LAN full-duplex communication control?

I know there are plenty of options out there with weird names and possibly harmful. Even there are ways to write it down ourselves (Either in TCP/IP or UDP. It doesn't matter in my case. I just want to transmit and receive a few strings, doubles and booleans. Not images or complex data formats. Consider it as a local chat messenger) But sometimes we need to stick to something reliable which others wrote and granted lots of IEEE and MISRA standards. Recently I encountered OPC and kinda liked it but not sure where to start. The goal is to communicate 2 or more workstations through ethernet (Not even Wi-Fi wireless kind of coupling (which is almost the same))

What would you introduce to a DNS and socket newbie?

*I will add my old approach which has flaws tonight.

Re: Is there a third party LAN full-duplex communication control?

Before examining the code which isn't originally mine (was from a french guy on youtube and it requires two classes to be written first. I'm not a network expert but packets sizes, types and every low level properties were done there and running on other console won't tickle system firewall.)

Let's have a stop here on THIS CODE in CodeProject which uses "broadcasting", meaning that it sends in a way/on a specific IP that all other online nodes on that network will get it. For a small network and testing purposes like me seems an ideal toy. Maybe I change it in a way that fulfills my needs.

But there are a few problems:
    - He included *.dll file but manually adding it in project references and/or toolbox (every tabs) fails to open it. (".NET Framework Components" tab error message: There are no components in [file address]) How can I include it to my project?
    - It was written in C# and not compatible to current project despite its *.exe runs (and works) properly. However both languages are interpretable.

If you want to talk directly between two systems, then TCP would be the way to go. There's more setup involved with that than there is with UDP, but there are some real advantages to having a connection based system. UDP is great for broadcasting small packets over a LAN, but runs into issues (not insurmountable, but issues nonetheless) if the amount of data gets larger than a packet, or if you want to communicate with just one other endpoint. The latter isn't very hard, it's just that it's kind of pointless to use UDP in that case.

Here's something I wrote for use when broadcasting over a LAN. It has not been tested on a very wide range of systems:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ized-UDP-Class
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Beautifully done. I'm keeping my distance from UDP. That's why I rather use someone else's library/class/module/snippet/approach no matter what the topology is. I may not encounter all "Simple LAN chat" threads here on VBForums (Some of them really honestly seriously have thing to learn you) but If you know a "resolved" on, feel free to redirect me there... thanks.