Thread: What is the best program in preparing a program report?

Hyperactive Member

Question What is the best program in preparing a program report?

hi
    What is the best program in preparing a program report?
    It works on all systems

Re: What is the best program in preparing a program report?

There are going to be a LOT of opinions on this.

Personally, I use MS-Word (.dotx) templates, and then automate Word, doing lots of search-and-replace, and then save the Word file (.docx) wherever appropriate. And/or you can just print it without saving if you want.

For simple reports, I just use VB6's built-in Printer object.

In the past, I've looked at Crystal Reports (and hated it), and also the MS-Access report generator (which is ok).

--------------

ADDED: I also use MS-Excel for quite a few reports as well, whenever it's appropriate, almost always using an Excel template (.XLTX) to get started.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Hyperactive Member

Question Re: What is the best program in preparing a program report?

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    There are going to be a LOT of opinions on this.

Personally, I use MS-Word (.dotx) templates, and then automate Word, doing lots of search-and-replace, and then save the Word file (.docx) wherever appropriate. And/or you can just print it without saving if you want.

For simple reports, I just use VB6's built-in Printer object.

In the past, I've looked at Crystal Reports (and hated it), and also the MS-Access report generator (which is ok).

--------------

ADDED: I also use MS-Excel for quite a few reports as well, whenever it's appropriate, almost always using an Excel template (.XLTX) to get started.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi

You mean that the MS-Access report can be printed through
    Visual Basic 6 without opening the MS-Access report?
    If this is what is meant, can you give an example of that, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysystem View Post
    You mean that the MS-Access report can be printed through
    Visual Basic 6 without opening the MS-Access report?
    If this is what is meant, can you give an example of that, please?
    Yes, it can be done. However, it's been a very long time since I did that, pre-VB6. It was about 1996, maybe 1997 or 1998. We looked at Crystal Reports and hated it, so decided to use MS-Access reporting, as our data was in an MDB file.

That is VERY old software that hasn't been in use since something like 1999. I've still got it. Let me see if I can dig it out and figure out how we did it. Not sure what version of VB it'll be, maybe VB3 or VB4.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Ok, we did assume that they had MS-Access installed. Basically, our database (the MDB) looked at the command-line when loading (via VBA) to see if it was given a directive to print (or preview) a specific report. (There was also the possibility of an INI file with some specific report directives in it.)

The VBA in that MDB file also monitored for a new directive via some OLE communication (and possibly read another INI file).

So, basically, it was a great deal of interaction between VB6 and the VBA in an MDB file.

-------------

I'd share some code, but I'm remembering that that "system" wasn't actually open source. I seriously doubt anyone is still using it, but I did have a couple of partners back then and I'd hate for one of them to come after me for some kind of IP claim.

Good luck with your project.

PowerPoster

IMO Active Reports is as good as it gets. I've been using it since VB5 and would not want to use anything else.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    IMO Active Reports is as good as it gets. I've been using it since VB5 and would not want to use anything else.
    -------------------------------------------------
    hi
    Can you provide a download link please

PowerPoster