Thread: Access a local port in my Ubuntu VM from the Windows Host

Access a local port in my Ubuntu VM from the Windows Host

Wow - I'm way outside my comfort zone.

I created a little SOCKET app with C++ in my Ubuntu VM running on my MS Surface Pro 7 in vmware

I've got a server and client app that runs in the VM properly - just sending a little test response.

How do I allow access to the port inside the linux VM from the Windows side?

I do not have ufw "active" - I just did a "sudo ufw status" and it's inactive.

Thanks! Steve

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Access a local port in my Ubuntu VM from the Windows Host

I can only answer how i do it in VirtualBox (no idea about vmware):
    think of it the hosting software (VirtualBox, vmware) is kind of like a router: you want to „forward“ the port of the guest-os to the outside world, the host-os.

IIRC, there should be config-options available in the hosting software.
    i remember defining port 5678 to map to port 3306 (MySQL) running in the guest.

hope you understand what i mean
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

You should be able put the VM on the same network as the host machine. From there you treat the Linux instance as if it were just another physical computer on your network. That basically what I did here for me to be able to connect to the webserver inside the Linux instance. You can see about half way through the video that I compiled the WebServer, copied it to Linux, ran it and just connected to it from a web-browser in the host with no problems.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Niya is right, but there are basically two ways:
    what Niya said (same network), which in VirtualBox is called a LAN-Bridge,
    or with a NAT-Connection.
    It was with the second that i could remap a different port

i‘d look for those two in vmware
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Try using a NAT network connection. After obtaining the IP address of the Ubuntu VM, you can access the local port from the Windows host by launching a web browser or any other network application and entering the IP address of the Ubuntu VM along with the port number. For example, if your Ubuntu VM's IP address is 192.168.0.100 and your server application is active on port 8080, you can access it from the Windows host by entering "http://192.168.0.100:8080" in the web interface browser.