Thread: Read MultiLine Data via Serial

Lively Member

Read MultiLine Data via Serial

Hi All,

here is my code from sender terminal:

Code:
    Dim send1 = String.Format(finaltitleTemplate1, titleheader1(0), titleheader1(1), titleheader1(2), titleheader1(3), titleheader1(4))
    Dim send2 = String.Format(finaldataTemplate1, datavalue1(0), datavalue1(1), datavalue1(2), datavalue1(3), datavalue1(4))
    Dim send3 = String.Format(finaltitleTemplate2, titleheader2(0), titleheader2(1), titleheader2(2), titleheader2(3), titleheader2(4))
    Dim send4 = String.Format(finaldataTemplate2, datavalue2(0), datavalue2(1), datavalue2(2), datavalue2(3), datavalue2(4))

CompiledBox1.Text = Chr(&H15) & vbNewLine & send1 & vbNewLine & Chr(&H14) & send2 & vbNewLine & send3 & vbNewLine & send4

'to send data to serial port 1
            If SerialPort1.IsOpen Then
                Serial1OpenButton.BackColor = Color.LimeGreen
                SerialPort1.Write(Chr(&H15) & vbNewLine & send1 & vbNewLine & Chr(&H14) & send2 & vbNewLine & send3 & vbNewLine & send4)
            End If
    and here is the code on the receiver terminal:
    Code:
    Private ReadSerialPortThread As Threading.Thread
        Private Sub SerialPort1_DataReceived(sender As Object, e As IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs) Handles SerialPort1.DataReceived
            'this is it
            ReadWait.Set() 'cause ReadSerialPort to run
        End Sub

Private ReadWait As New Threading.AutoResetEvent(False)

Private Sub ReadSerialPort()
            'this is run as a Background task
            Dim data As New System.Text.StringBuilder(1024 * 1024) 'accumulate SerialPort data here
            Dim mess As New System.Text.StringBuilder              'individual message
            Dim foundMess As Boolean = False                       'found message

Do
                ReadWait.WaitOne() 'wait for SerialPort1.DataReceived
                Do While SerialPort1.BytesToRead > 0 'accumulate all available bytes
                    data.Append(SerialPort1.ReadExisting)
                Loop
                Do 'process message, if one available

mess.Length = 0 'reset message
                    foundMess = False 'if message not found,

Dim idx As Integer = 0
                    For idx = 0 To data.Length - 1 'look for CR
                        If data(idx) = ControlChars.Cr Then
                            'note that the CR will NOT be in mess
                            foundMess = True 'found message
                            Exit For

End If
                        mess.Append(data(idx))
                    Next
                    If foundMess Then
                        data.Remove(0, idx + 1) 'remove found message from data
                        'process your message here <<<<<<<<<<<<
                        'how to interact with the UI

Me.Invoke(Sub()
                                      datareceive_label.Text = (mess.ToString)
                                  End Sub)

'end example
                    End If

'look for more messages in data?
                Loop While foundMess AndAlso data.Length > 0
            Loop
        End Sub
    the problem is that I can only receive the first line of the data only.
    How to show all lines of sent data with above code?

TIA

Re: Read MultiLine Data via Serial

You should try splitting data on vbnewline…

Code:
    Dim lined() As String = data.Split(New String() {vbNewLine}, StringSplitOptions.None)

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

Hi joko markono,

Why not using
    Code:
            SerialPort1.Read(Buffer, 0, Buffer.Length - 1) 'To recieving and_
            SerialPort1.Write(Buffer, 0, Buffer.Length - 1) '_to transmitting
    at first place? All USART based communication frames are "byte" dedicated, so no more strings and their textual capabilities therefore a more practical response in return.

(It is a personal perception, if your code works sort-of-fine, do not get yourself into more troubles)

Sinecure devotee

If you're sending your data as lines, then I think it would be easiest to read them as lines.
    What I've done when reading serial data that is transmitted as lines of text, is simply start a background thread containing code along these lines. Also, since you have this background thread reading serial data a line at a time, you don't need a DataReceived Event handler.
    Code:
    Private Sub ReadThread()
      Do Until Leaving
        Try
          Dim line as String = comPort.ReadLine()
          Me.Invoke(SerialLineIn, line)
        Catch ex As Exception
        End Try
      Loop
    End Sub
    The thread will wait on the ReadLine call until a line is received, it will then invoke a Sub on the GUI thread to process that line, and then loop back and wait on the ReadLine for the next line.

When the program is going to close the port, it sets the boolean value "Leaving" to True first and then closes the port.
    Closing the port will cause an exception on the ReadLine call, which will be handled (ignored), and the loop will exit because of the Leaving flag being True and the thread will end.
    Last edited by passel; Mar 27th, 2023 at 09:28 PM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    If you're sending your data as lines, then I think it would be easiest to read them as lines.
    What I've done when reading serial data that is transmitted as lines of text, is simply start a background thread containing code along these lines. Also, since you have this background thread reading serial data a line at a time, you don't need a DataReceived Event handler.
    Code:
    Private Sub ReadThread()
      Do Until Leaving
        Try
          Dim line as String = comPort.ReadLine()
          Me.Invoke(SerialLineIn, line)
        Catch ex As Exception
        End Try
      Loop
    End Sub
    The thread will wait on the ReadLine call until a line is received, it will then invoke a Sub on the GUI thread to process that line, and then loop back and wait on the ReadLine for the next line.

When the program is going to close the port, it sets the boolean value "Leaving" to True first and then closes the port.
    Closing the port will cause an exception on the ReadLine call, which will be handled (ignored), and the loop will exit because of the Leaving flag being True and the thread will end.
    definitely no problem with single line data and I can split them with no issue.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    You should try splitting data on vbnewline…

Code:
    Dim lined() As String = data.Split(New String() {vbNewLine}, StringSplitOptions.None)
    you mean on the receiving side?

Try changing the sender to

Code:
            Dim send1 = String.Format(finaltitleTemplate1, titleheader1(0), titleheader1(1), titleheader1(2), titleheader1(3), titleheader1(4))
            Dim send2 = String.Format(finaldataTemplate1, datavalue1(0), datavalue1(1), datavalue1(2), datavalue1(3), datavalue1(4))
            Dim send3 = String.Format(finaltitleTemplate2, titleheader2(0), titleheader2(1), titleheader2(2), titleheader2(3), titleheader2(4))
            Dim send4 = String.Format(finaldataTemplate2, datavalue2(0), datavalue2(1), datavalue2(2), datavalue2(3), datavalue2(4))

Dim sendText As String
            sendText = String.Format("{1}{0}{3}{2}{4}{0}{5}{0}{6}{0}", ControlChars.Cr,
                                                                        Chr(&H15),
                                                                        Chr(&H14),
                                                                        send1,
                                                                        send2,
                                                                        send3,
                                                                        send4)

CompiledBox1.Text = sendText

SerialPort1.Write(sendText)
            End If
    Based on this in the receiver you will only see one message.

Code:
    Last edited by dbasnett; Mar 28th, 2023 at 08:41 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by joko markono View Post
    definitely no problem with single line data and I can split them with no issue.
    That is fine, but you said you were only receiving the first line.

Perhaps you just meant that if you send three lines, or five lines, you would like to know when you've received all the lines so you can parse out all the lines at once.
    If you don't have a "flag" of some sort to look for to indicate the end of your transmission and then process the collected buffer or a "header" to indicate how many lines follow, then I've used a watchdog type counter, or a time tag to identify when a line has been receive, i.e. when a line of data is received, the counter is set to a value to be counted down by a separate timer or periodic loop, or a time tag is set to the current time.

The point being in the periodic loop, it can check if perhaps a tenth of a second has passed since the last line was received and if so, process the collected lines.

As for using ReadLine, the reason I use it is if I know that the serial data I'm receiving are lines of text, then I don't have to collect and process multiple portions of parts of a line, and manually manage the buffer to extract lines from the buffered data. The ReadLine will take care of that, and just give you each line of text as received (minus the line termination character(s)). Much less code and processing that my code has to do.

Of course, for pretty much any other type of data, then accumulating the bytes into a buffer and processing them manually is the correct choice. Since .Net provides concurrent queues to make accessing data between threads easier, then that is my usual choice to accumulate the received data in.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

...Of course, for pretty much any other type of data, then accumulating the bytes into a buffer and processing them manually is the correct choice. Since .Net provides concurrent queues to make accessing data between threads easier, then that is my usual choice to accumulate the received data in.
    The code they are using looks like something I wrote and without a serious re-write ReadLine is not an option. Based on this piece of code,
    Code:
    Me.Invoke(Sub()
                                  End Sub)
    they will only see the last message. What might be helpful for them is to change that code to use a RichTextBox.

Code:
            Me.Invoke(Sub()
                          RichTextBox1.AppendText(mess.ToString)
                          RichTextBox1.AppendText(ControlChars.Cr)
                      End Sub)
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    Try changing the sender to

Code:

Dim sendText As String
            sendText = String.Format("{1}{0}{3}{2}{4}{0}{5}{0}{6}{0}", ControlChars.Cr,
                                                                        Chr(&H15),
                                                                        Chr(&H14),
                                                                        send1,
                                                                        send2,
                                                                        send3,
                                                                        send4)

CompiledBox1.Text = sendText

SerialPort1.Write(sendText)
            End If
    Based on this in the receiver you will only see one message.

Code:
    I can only receive last line of message with this method.

Lively Member

That is fine, but you said you were only receiving the first line.

Perhaps you just meant that if you send three lines, or five lines, you would like to know when you've received all the lines so you can parse out all the lines at once.
    If you don't have a "flag" of some sort to look for to indicate the end of your transmission and then process the collected buffer or a "header" to indicate how many lines follow, then I've used a watchdog type counter, or a time tag to identify when a line has been receive, i.e. when a line of data is received, the counter is set to a value to be counted down by a separate timer or periodic loop, or a time tag is set to the current time.

The point being in the periodic loop, it can check if perhaps a tenth of a second has passed since the last line was received and if so, process the collected lines.

As for using ReadLine, the reason I use it is if I know that the serial data I'm receiving are lines of text, then I don't have to collect and process multiple portions of parts of a line, and manually manage the buffer to extract lines from the buffered data. The ReadLine will take care of that, and just give you each line of text as received (minus the line termination character(s)). Much less code and processing that my code has to do.

Of course, for pretty much any other type of data, then accumulating the bytes into a buffer and processing them manually is the correct choice. Since .Net provides concurrent queues to make accessing data between threads easier, then that is my usual choice to accumulate the received data in.
    my incoming data should look like this and i want to display it all on a webcam text overlay:
    Attachment 187301

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    The code they are using looks like something I wrote and without a serious re-write ReadLine is not an option. Based on this piece of code,
    Code:
    Me.Invoke(Sub()
                                  End Sub)
    they will only see the last message. What might be helpful for them is to change that code to use a RichTextBox.

Code:
            Me.Invoke(Sub()
                      End Sub)
    since I want to overlay the data on a live video, I can't use richtextbox because I need to make it transparent.
    Also, I have tried the richtextbox but the data keep on coming without displaying the latest one.

If I do this:
    Code:
                                      RichTextBox2.Text = (mess.ToString)
    then I got the latest data, but again only display one line of the data.