Thread: Application to manage students' time on the computer??

Application to manage students' time on the computer??

You may be familiar with apps such as Time Watcher. I'm looking forward to creating an application to be used on students' computers to control the amount of time one can be on a computer. When a student is given a computer, she will be allocated say 30 mins, a timer should start counting down while showing the time remaining. When time elapses, the computer should be locked and probably throw a black screen all over with a dialog for entering the passcode and minutes to be allocated for the new session. The app would have "taken control" of the computer (or at least its inputs) for the moment.

I will appreciate any leads.

PS: Technically, I just need to know "how" to take over the computer's controls & screen with VB.NET, I can manage the rest of the timer settings, passcode, etc.
    Name:  time-watcher.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  12.3 KB
    Last edited by savedlema; Mar 20th, 2023 at 09:59 AM.

King of sapila

Re: Application to manage students' time on the computer??

I cannot give instructions to hijack a PC to a not known member but remember that the timer can be reset, so you have to store the value somewhere that is not easily accessible on a hidden file or in a database or in the registry.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I cannot give instructions to hijack a PC to a not known member but remember that the timer can be reset, so you have to store the value somewhere that is not easily accessible on a hidden file or in a database or in the registry.
    Yeah, I think giving instructions on hijacking a system to ANYONE is against the rules. It doesn't sound like storing the time value is an issue, it sounds like the value is entered for each session.

I'd say that it comes down to how much you trust the students. If they aren't going to try to circumvent the system, then you can probably do this in .NET. If they ARE going to try to circumvent the system, then you probably need to be dealing with some kernel level work, and .NET likely isn't the best language for that task.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah, I think giving instructions on hijacking a system to ANYONE is against the rules. It doesn't sound like storing the time value is an issue, it sounds like the value is entered for each session.
    Ye....Of course we have talked about hijack in the past with pm's and if I recall I was talking to admins here, so, oopppss, you assumption is incorrect. LOL.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Ye....Of course we have talked about hijack in the past with pm's and if I recall I was talking to admins here, so, oopppss, you assumption is incorrect. LOL.
    Just because it's been done doesn't mean it's not against the rules. So, ooppps

Though this doesn't feel like a request for help with malware, I'll leave it to the admin's to decide.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Mar 20th, 2023 at 03:22 PM.

oopppss??? You takin' the p's?

The subject does make me queasy. It's riding a fine line. Any program that locks the user out is something that is potentially useful for malicious purpose. However, this could also be a kiosk system, which is something that isn't malicious, but still has to lock users out of certain areas.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

There is a word here, a Greek word, Microcosmus, some live in theirs. And I'll leave it to that.
    About the OP. Asking on how to take over the computer is a red flag for me but that's just me.

Huh, thank you, everyone!

You can take a look at Time Watcher app, the once-famous internet cafe application. Here's their web address: http://www.timewatcher.de/download.html, their app is no longer in development and their latest version doesn't work with Win 10, otherwise I would have used that. Handy Cafe was another alternative, but it's also out of development.

My settings (a small computer lab for a secondary school in East Africa) prompt me to look for a small app that can do the job.

Thank you all for your contributions.

King of sapila

OK so there is no need to lock the computer, you just need to lock the application that you will be running.
    So read post #2
    When time passes you can force a message form to the application with no buttons and no minimize maximize etc that cannot be closed.