Thread: How to get Msgbox Display the List of Non-Matched Value of Arrays of String ?

Addicted Member

How to get Msgbox Display the List of Non-Matched Value of Arrays of String ?

Hello

Does anyone know how to get Msgbox Display the List of Non Matched Value of Array in String ?

I've gone through the following
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ems-using-linq
    Everything seems going over and above my brains.

For Eg
    if Textbox1 contains following Data ie
    Fox, over, lazy , Brown
    Then Msgbox to Display the Following list as
    Your Textbox1 Does Not Contain
    The
    Qucikly
    Jumped
    the
    Dog
    Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim arrayString() As String = {The,Brown,Fox,Qucikly,Jumped,over,the,Lazy,Dog}

For j As Integer = LBound(arrayString) To UBound(arrayString)
             If Not Textbox1.Text.Contains(arrayString(j)) Then
                   MsgBox("Yor Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & LIST of Non Mathced Value)
              End If
    Next J

End Sub
    SamD
    Last edited by SamDsouza; Mar 11th, 2023 at 05:41 AM.

Re: How to get Msgbox Display the List of Non-Matched Value of Arrays of String ?

The message box is irrelevant. It simply displays a String. Where that String comes from makes no difference- a String is a String.

If you want to display a single String containing a list of values then you obviously don't want to display it inside a loop. The point of a loop is to do something multiple times. Think about the logic first, then write code to implement that logic. You have a list of words you want to match. For each word in that list, you need to check if it matches and, if it doesn't, put it into another list. Once you're done checking, combine that list into a single String, then display that String.

Now that you have the steps involved, you can address each step individually. For instance, do you know how to combine a list of Strings into a single String? If not, you can research that first. Where the list came from is irrelevant, so you don't have to be able to do the rest to get the list first before working out how to combine the list. Etc.

Re: How to get Msgbox Display the List of Non-Matched Value of Arrays of String ?

Code:
    MsgBox("Yor Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & Environment.NewLine & String.Join(Environment.NewLine, YourList.ToArray))

Addicted Member

.Paul
    Thanks for the Syntax Provided

jmcilhinney
    For each word in that list, you need to check if it matches and, if it doesn't, put it into another list. Once you're done checking, combine that list into a single String, then display that String.
    Thanks for the logic provided

For instance, do you know how to combine a list of Strings into a single String? If not, you can research that first. Where the list came from is irrelevant, so you don't have to be able to do the rest to get the list first before working out how to combine the list. Etc.
    Maximum researched

On basis of above and syntax provided

In fact lead into Cloud of Confussion but nevertheless

Yes I tried the Following and succeeded

Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim arrayString() As String = {The,Brown,Fox,Qucikly,Jumped,over,the,Lazy,Dog}

Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)'(arrayString)

For Each item in arrayString
    If Not (Textbox1.Text.Contains(item) Then
       nonMatchedList.Add(item)
    End If
    Next 
    MsgBox("Yor Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & Environment.NewLine & String.Join(Environment.NewLine, nonMatchedList.ToArray))

End Sub
    By the way what would the Following Syntax mean
    Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)(arrayString)

Thanks Once Again.

SamD

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/do...t?view=net-7.0 is a possibility instead of doing it yourself.

However there are a few issues with the code you posted, firstly your array initialisation wont compile because the values need to be in quotes..

Code:
    Dim arrayString() As String = {"The", "Brown", "Fox", "Qucikly", "Jumped", "over", "the", "Lazy", "Dog"}
    The line of code .
    Code:
    Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)'(arrayString)
    is simply declaring and instantiating a list of strings, the '(arrayString) is just a comment - a meaningless comment as well.

Code:
    If Not TextBox1.Text.Contains(item) Then
    Is either missing a ) at the end or has an extra ( at the start and won't actually compile.

I would also suggest using MessageBox.Show instead of MsgBox, MsgBox is throwback to VB6 while MessageBox.Show is the newer .Net approach.

Addicted Member

PlausibliyDamp

Typo Error:
    Corrections Made
    Code:

Dim arrayString() As String = {"The","Brown","Fox","Qucikly","Jumped","over","the","Lazy","Dog"}

Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)

If Not Textbox1.Text.Contains(item) Then
       nonMatchedList.Add(item)
    End If
    Next 
    MsgBox("Yor Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & Environment.NewLine & String.Join(Environment.NewLine, nonMatchedList.ToArray))

End Sub
    Although i tried above and suceeded but was wanting to see the possibility

with the Original loop as #1

SamD
    Last edited by SamDsouza; Mar 12th, 2023 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamDsouza View Post
    PlausibliyDamp

Typo Error:
    Corrections Made
    Code:

Dim arrayString() As String = {"The","Brown","Fox","Qucikly","Jumped","over","the","Lazy","Dog"}

nonMatchedList.Add(item)
    End If
    Next 

End Sub
    Although i tried above and suceeded but was wanting to see the possibility

with the Original loop as #1

SamD

You could change the loop bit to
    Code:
        If Not TextBox1.Text.Contains(arrayString(j)) Then
            nonMatchedList.Add(arrayString(j))
        End If
    Next
    although I can't think of a compelling reason to do so, it makes the code harder to read and uses even more legacy VB6 methods (LBound and UBound), if you wanted to at least do that and keep it a bit more .Net then I suppose something like
    Code:
    For j As Integer = arrayString.GetLowerBound(0) To arrayString.GetUpperBound(0)
    If you really insist on using a For Next loop then
    Code:
     For j As Integer = 0 To arrayString.Length - 1
    would be a cleaner way - you know the starting element is 0 and the last one is the Length - 1 because you declared the array without specifying any upper or lower bounds.

Again I am not seeing any real benefits. Stick with the For Each in my opinion.
    Last edited by PlausiblyDamp; Mar 12th, 2023 at 08:46 AM.

Addicted Member

PlausibilyDamp
    Thanks for the Options provided and encouraging me to move towards VB.Net. Appreciate it.

BTW I am only Familar with VBA and i dont know the Heads or Tails of VB6 and Earlier versions & Till today have not seen the Programing Enviornemt of VB6

For Eg I would Like to Replace arrayString(j) with Something Else. How this Could be coded in For Each Statement. These are for all the (Matched) items from Lbound(arraystring) to Ubound(arraystring)

Code:

nonMatchedList.Add(item)

End If
    Next 

End Sub
    Logic to repalce was already coded but somehting happened and all the data was not matching and ie why i had to post this thread
    Code:

Dim Strtxt As String
    Strtxt = Replace(Strtxt, arrayStrings(j), arrayStrings(j).PadRight(18))
    Next J
    End Sub
    SamD

Code:
    Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)(arrayString.Where(Function(s) Not Textbox1.Text.Contains(s)) .ToArray)

Addicted Member

.Paul,

Code:
    Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)(arrayString.Where(Function(s) Not Textbox1.Text.Contains(s)).ToArray)
    'Added the syntax below as #3
    this has indeed worked perfectly for Non Matched items without any for Next Loop and if then Condition....

The difficulty now i am facing is for if All Matched Items List then i dont want to display the above message. How can i go ahead ?

SamD

PowerPoster

You only need to display the messagebox if nonMatchedList has 1 or more items in it, right?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/do...t?view=net-8.0

Addicted Member

OptionBase1
    Thanks for providing the Link where Dinosaur example made things clear. But unable to workout. ?

You only need to display the messagebox if nonMatchedList has 1 or more items in it, right?
    Here the result is Msgbox Displays if the items are Less with the List of nonMatchedList values.
    As well it displays if Matched Items are Equal But without the nonMatchedList values

Unsuccessful
    Code:
    If  Textbox1.Text.Contains(item) Then
      If  arrayString.Count <> Ubound(arrayString)  Then
          Dim nonMatchedList as New List(of String)(arrayString.Where(Function(s) Not Textbox1.Text.Contains(s)).ToArray)
          MsgBox("Your Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & Environment.NewLine & String.Join(Environment.NewLine, nonMatchedList.ToArray))
         Else
                item = Replace(item, arrayStrings(j), arrayStrings(j).PadRight(18))
             Next
       End If
    End If
    Next
    Unsuccessful

SamD

Quote Originally Posted by SamDsouza View Post
    OptionBase1

Thanks for providing the Link where Dinosaur example made things clear. But unable to workout. ?

Here the result is Msgbox Displays if the items are Less with the List of nonMatchedList values.
    As well it displays if Matched Items are Equal But without the nonMatchedList values

Unsuccessful
    Code:
    If  Textbox1.Text.Contains(item) Then
          MsgBox("Your Textbox1 Does Not Contain" & Environment.NewLine & String.Join(Environment.NewLine, nonMatchedList.ToArray))
         Else
             Next
       End If
    End If
    Next
    Unsuccessful

SamD
    When your code doesn't do what you expect you need to learn how to debug it. Try putting a breakpoint on the first line of that code and step through it. Does the code do what you expect each time you step? If not, try and figure out why not... How did you get to that final bit of code from the previous "working" code?

However some things to think about in your code.

What do you think the following code is doing, and why are you doing it?
    Code:
    What does the following line do, and what is the consequence of doing it inside of a loop?
    Code:
    What is the following code doing and when will it run in your example?
    Code:
             Next
    Try and debug your code / think about your code and see if you can answer those three questions. Once you have answered them, does it do what you are intending?
    Last edited by PlausiblyDamp; Mar 14th, 2023 at 07:07 AM.

@Sam
    take a look at Linq = Intersect and Except methods

https://dotnettutorials.net/lesson/l...ersect-method/
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.