Thread: [RESOLVED] XP VM issue

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] XP VM issue

I have a Virtual Machine set up for XP. It is actually a cloned image of an older pc that was used to support some older projects.
    In any case the VM had been working fine in the past but now when I try to load it up am having issues.

So this is what I am seeing.

Start the VM, XP boots up as usual and gets to the screen to login.
    When I click to login it says this copy of XP must be activated before you can log in.
    If I click ok it at some point comes back with a message saying XP is already activated
    It then logs me out.
    If I click to log in it repeats the steps above.

Not sure what if anything I can do to get past this issue and access the OS again.

If it matters I am using VMWare Workstation Pro as the host for the VM.

Any ideas?

PowerPoster

Re: XP VM issue

There's a lot of different suggestions out there when searching for:

xp activation loop already activated

I would recommend making a full backup of your VM before trying any of them, since some of them might render your device completely unbootable if done wrong.

PowerPoster

I tried a few different things that I found online but so far no luck. I located an older copy of the VM and am moving that to the new pc to see if maybe I have better luck with that one.

PowerPoster

Well, I do not know what the issue was still but I have it running now so hopefully I can just forget about the issue at this point.

I had a copy of the VM on an older hard drive that had been left in a hibernated state. I moved that to the new pc and clicked to resume. VM Ware complained about it have different processor features but allowed me to "continue at my own risk" Surprisingly it did resume back to the desktop, wanted to update the VMTools on it so I let it do that then restarted it and it came right up without any activation related messages. So then I went to activate windows from the start menu and it correctly shows already activated.

No idea what happened on those first attempts just lucky I had another copy laying around guess.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] XP VM issue

So at least that is one thing I don't have to worry about now. I rarely ever have a need to boot up XP but I did have a request from an older customer last week wanting some upgrades to an old piece of software that was originally written on that old XP PC for Windows Mobile Devices and that is the only place where I still had the older environment and emulators installed.

Now on to the next hurdle, always fun setting up a new PC and trying to get everything working properly on it

King of sapila

I don't know if it's more light but I use Oracle VM VirtualBox for virtual XP.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

For a long time, Microsoft gave away a registered copy of XP to be used in their VM.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.