Thread: Password Bin

Frenzied Member

Password Bin

If you are like me, you probably have difficulty in trying to remember all the different passwords that are now required to login anywhere. We are strongly encouraged to not reuse passwords and to make them long with different types of characters (upper & lower case, numbers, special characters, etc.). That makes recording them somewhere a necessity. If you write them down, you end up scribbling over the old one and writing the new off to the side. If you record in a file, the file lacks security and is vulnerable.

So I developed a Password Bin that stores passwords encrypted. The thing to remember is that absolute security is next to impossible, particularly for relatively short words. All you can do is make it difficult. To that end, I made the application accessible with a master password that is stored in the registry. For details see:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....dardized-Login

Once logged in, the UserIDs are displayed in a ListBox. Clicking on a particular UserID will recover the encrypted password and display it decrypted in the Label. For convenience, clicking "Copy" will transfer the password to the clipboard.

The app does not use any special controls. However, I have used a DLL (Dynamic Linked Library) prepared by using MakeDLL from DanSoft Australia to create "jCrypt.dll". It provides the following functions:
    Encrypt
    GetECCKey
    GenRandom
    HashData
    as outlined in the declarations section of "basGeneral.bas". If you don't have access to this facility, you can comment out the declarations provided and add the mEncrypt.bas module provided to the project.

To use the app, you will need to create a database file. Create a new directory in the \Users\[User Name]\ directory called "IDbin". Copy the "Users.db.org" file provided to "Users.db" in the "IDbin" directory. The database comes with 1 UserID/Password called "Administrator/password". If you click on "Administrator", you will probably see a bunch of question marks. That is because the encryption is tied to the logged in users SID. To edit the entry, click on "PW Maint". The maintenance part of the program will display the UserID and encrypted Password. Clicking on either one will transfer them to the upper TextBoxes, and the "Save Edited Record" Command Button should appear. Again the password will probably display as a bunch of question marks. Modify it to suit and click the "Save Edited Record" button. When you exit the maintenance part of the program, the UserID ListBox in the main part of the program will be updated. Now when you click on "Administrator", the Label should display the corrected password.

J.A. Coutts
    Attached Files Attached Files