Thread: [RESOLVED] Any chance for a attachment size bump?

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Any chance for a attachment size bump?

1,000KB is killing me guys

oleexp, which I've maintained here for 8 years, is teetering on the edge... when I move everything else to secondary zips, oleexp.tlb compresses down to a 998KB zip, 2KB shy of the limit... by the next version I won't be able to add it at all without spanning it, so I'd probably just move it to GitHub, but I was trying to keep all my VB6 projects here.

It's 2023, could we please get at least 1.5-2MB for a zip?

Re: Any chance for a attachment size bump?

Yea, I second this. The storage allotted to members of VBForums reeks of the 1990s. We don't measure in megabytes anymore, it's gigabytes now!
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

That's a fair point, and one I certainly don't have anything to do with, but I will add that moving things to GitHub/GitLab (the latter has different rules that I prefer) is not a bad choice.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

<<Under Review>>

Stay Tuned

The file sizes were doubled in October 2019 which is the last time this subject came up.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can The Size Of Zip File Attachments Be Increased?
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ght=attachment

BUT, on the condition that everyone understands this is the LAST Time - I have increased the size of ZIP and 7z file types by 50%. The size went from 1,024,000 bytes to 1,536,000 .

As mentioned above, there are other methods to do what fafalone is wanting to do. He will start planning accordingly won't he

Isn't it better to use a repository like GitHub for distribution than using zips elsewhere?
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Thanks

I know there's other places to host things but that's how you wind up with a codebank full of broken links. GitHub isn't immune from that; they've already changed URL naming schemes such that I encounter broken links to projects that are still there when I go to the right page with the username, and the options get much bleaker after them and gitlab. Then you also encourage people to never post things here at all. Not to mention lack of maintenance... I keep forgetting to update VBF posts about the couple tB projects I maintain primarily on GH.

So that's why I prefer keeping VB6 projects where the VB6 community is... thanks for making that practical to continue

I'm with fafalone on this one. Hard drives for storage are cheap these days.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/storag...factor-of-800/

If you have to post images and code and code bank submissions elsewhere, there would be no need for VBForums to exist. Those other places have their own forums. Your advantages are that you have a large group of long-time members and a large database of code and helpful information. That cannot be quickly replaced by newer sites. And, as mentioned, Internet links break and sites disappear all the time (PlanetSourceCode for example).

PowerPoster

I'm sympathetic but must admit I have low expectations. If there was an economic argument for catering to members there'd be some competition and the problem likely wouldn't exist.

Use of geo-obfuscating VPNs and ad blockers by so many people probably doesn't help our case one whit.

The heat-death endgame seems to be the horrid non-discussion model and low information quality of StackOverflow combined with the mutating code sacks of mystery you get from repositories. It's all quite dehumanized.

However when individual archive files grow beyond a certain size I'm not sure they work as CodeBank submissions anyway. That sounds more like publishing and maybe repositories make more sense than for smaller uploads that provide tutorial examples, demo code, and how-to info in general.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If there was an economic argument for catering to members there'd be some competition and the problem likely wouldn't exist.
    Here's the thing, the problem doesn't exist. I have 15 GB of free cloud storage just for having a Google account. I also have multiple Microsoft accounts that collectively give me several GBs of free cloud storage. I mean even something like 5GB is more than enough to host all the CodeBank submissions any member could ever want.

Older BBCode forums like this seem to be the only ones in the dark ages in that they treat every MB of storage like a scares resource. Everyone else on the other hand seems to be giving it away on like they picked it up on the street.

But I get it though, older sites like VBForums and CodeGuru don't have massive budgets like Google and Microsoft so perhaps they can't cater to the storage needs of users like big tech can.
    Last edited by Niya; Mar 2nd, 2023 at 10:17 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Well what gets me is the single file limit.

There's no rule against splitting projects up into several files and posting them all on the same post-- it's only because oleexp.tlb was a single file hitting the limit it became an issue. I'm fine with the total storage limit.. I've posted a ton of projects and image attachments, and am still only using roughly a third of the total storage I'm allotted. So for me the issue is if I can post 5x1MB zips, why not 1x5MB zip, if that's how I want to use my storage allotment?

And dil what you said is true at some point, but I really have to disagree 1MB is the appropriate line for what you're talking about these days. Because often the size is dependencies for a smaller example... for instance with the way twinBASIC works, the minimum project size for anything with my tbShellLib as a reference is 3MB uncompressed. Say I wanted to post the tB version of my simply ucShellBrowse demo... that's 1.2MB compressed total, for just a single demo. Each small demo would be that size. And those are absolutely CodeBank-appropriate demos; only reason it's on GitHub is because that's where the tB community is for now.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I'm fine with the total storage limit..
    I'm not. I tend to use images a lot to illustrate things and if I stored them here, I'd have gone over my limit ages ago. I used TinyPic.org for roughly half the time I was here and that site went down which means all the posts where I used pictures to show something will now be poorer for it. I really wish I could have hosted the images here so they could be around as long as VBForums is.

Re: [RESOLVED] Any chance for a attachment size bump?

Truth be told, I just love the CodeBank of these forums, especially the VB6 CodeBank (which is where my interests lie). I do go over to GitHub (and actually have an account) for certain things, but the work you guys do is just fantastic ... especially when it comes to keeping it to "source code only", and disallowing any/all executables.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the attachment size issue, but I do "hear" Fafalone's pain. He's done an incredible job with his TypeLib, and it's a wonderful asset for VB6.

Just my 2-cents.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Yea, I second this. The storage allotted to members of VBForums reeks of the 1990s. We don't measure in megabytes anymore, it's gigabytes now!
    IN CHINA ,WE have email or clound space ,about 10GB
    BUT IF I download something from baidu cloud,speed is 20-100KB.
    I NEED pay 30$ every year for speed up to 10-20MB /S

This forum also lacks upgrades and maintenance, and maybe one day it will disappear permanently, so there are good codes, try to download and save them on your own computer.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    IN CHINA ,WE have email or clound space ,about 10GB
    It's pretty normal for cloud providers in the west to give you that too. Google Drive and OneDrive for example, give each of it's users up to 15 GB of storage for free. VBForums pre-dates this era so it's no surprise it's still dolling out storage in terms of megabytes. VBForums needs to be brought up to the times. It's time for them to spend some of that sweet ad revenue on hard drives

Re: [RESOLVED] Any chance for a attachment size bump?

but.....

This is a forum site, not a cloud provider. As such, the intent is for discussions not for storage.

If this was a cloud provider, then yes, there would be a need for greater storage limits. Most discussions, however, don't require any real storage.

As to updates - yeah.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------