Thread: GIF profile picture for all?

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

GIF profile picture for all?

Hi! My first feedback ever here...
    Am I the only "addicted member" or newbie one who wants animated gifs as avatars?
    Dear moderators and administrators, come on... It is 2023 AD, Why we all cannot have animated avatars even with its limitations? My current profile pic occupies near 19KBs while my suggested gif occupies only 8KB. It is even better for your servers...
    Will be appreciated if you unlock this feature for me or teach me how to do it (Not sure this thread is duplicated or not).
    Yours sincerely, Pourkashceff.

Re: GIF profile picture for all?

It is (or at least has been) possible to use animated GIFs, but there are limitations on the type of animated GIF that can be used.

There were relevant chit-chat threads a few years back where it was discussed, so you might be able to find info in there somewhere, this is the most likely:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....istmas-In-July

I've managed to find two relevant quotes in another thread, but I don't think that they cover everything:
    Size matters. You have to optimize it such that it stays under 19kb.
    I believe animated avatars are on for powerposters and mods only.
    ...I'm pretty sure there is another editing trick that is needed, and it might allow you to use one.

When you or someone posts JUNK that isn't worth reading - Distracting other members with a animated avatar is a great idea. Most of us would prefer that Junk isn't posted.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

As a non-English user, I saw junkier things here, still tried to contribute. But as an administrator, your wider horizon and glorified perspective is totally respected. I am admin in somewhere else, in a discord channel to be more specific. These things are common, chill and "e pluribus unum". ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    but there are limitations...
    Limitations are in authorized levels not in file characteristics. You "may" not...
    Name:  giferror.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  30.3 KB

Plus I tried following items:
    Name:  explorerscreenshot.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  163.9 KB

And as a record, requested gif looks like this.
    Last edited by pourkascheff; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 07:32 AM.

King of sapila

Hi puka.
    Have you tried PNG or APNG ?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    When you or someone posts JUNK that isn't worth reading - Distracting other members with a animated avatar is a great idea. Most of us would prefer that Junk isn't posted.
    Someone's Junk another man's treasure, sort of?

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Hi puka.
    Have you tried PNG or APNG ?
    Hmm, ye does not work. I personally don't care, so good luck

I would love to put my animated avatar of an error msg with a blinking X icon to annoy everyone to no end :-))

Edit: You made me do it! :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

King of sapila

Ye the most annoying is that damn bug! He knows who he is and what I'm talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by pourkascheff View Post
    Will be appreciated if you unlock this feature for me or teach me how to do it (Not sure this thread is duplicated or not).
    You need to be a PowerPoster to unlock animated GIFs. You become a PowerPoster at 4000 counted posts. I remember because the first thing I did when I hit 4000 was to look up an animated GIF for my avatar.

The current one wasn't my 1st. I had actually tried a few but even then there were conditions. I think if the GIF is too big, it won't animate. I don't know the exact criteria but I remember having to go through a few. I remember getting 2 to work, the current one I use and the previous one which was an animated wall of fire.

[EDIT]

I think I might be off a bit, PowerPoster might be at 3000 posts. I just saw an old post with a 3K post member having the PowerPoster title.

[EDIT]

Oh man, I must be getting old. I just remembered, you get it at 2048 posts. It is a power of 2 which I guess someone thought would be clever since powers of 2 are very significant in computer science.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 02:25 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

King of sapila

[EDIT]
    Oh boy that clams I ate for breakfast sure did hit the spot, I remember it was 1024 post.

[EDIT]
    Dammerman! I just hit the shower and I almost slipped and it got me, it was 512 posts.

[EDIT]...etc

lol
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber