Thread: [VB6] LessPass Desktop Tool in pure VB6

[VB6] LessPass Desktop Tool in pure VB6

A tiny LessPass implementation in VB6 based on lesspass repo by Guillaume Vincent.

Description

This is an algorithmic password generator. The clever idea is that the algorithm used produces the same password for the same site, username and some master password.

The main idea of the LessPass is that a single (strong) master password can be used to generate derivative passwords for unlimited number of sites based on the site domain name and your username there.

This way you have to remember only a single master password and your username for each site -- your password for the particular site can be generated algorithmically (w/o writing anything to disk or registry) using this input only.

Source Code

https://github.com/wqweto/VbLessPass (there is a compiled executable in Releases tab)

cheers,
    </wqw>

Re: [VB6] LessPass Desktop Tool in pure VB6

very useful... nice...

This looks like an interesting idea. Is this based on some industry standard or something? I don't think I have ever heard of password management being done with way.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The idea is cool although not completely novel and I’m not aware of a standard RFC on this topic.

For instance this https://github.com/cloudflare/gokey vaultless password manager uses completely different crypto core and generates passwords incompatible with LessPass ones.

Oh so it's kind of an informal thing then. Very interesting ideas here though.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber