Thread: VB6 language family/variants - new name for VB6 derived products.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

VB6 language family/variants - new name for VB6 derived products.

Assuming TwinBasic/RADBasic/OlafBasic (no bias toward whichever of these comes a real thing) become the natural replacement for VB6 due to usability, actual support, growth in technical capability &c, there will come a point where stating "I program in TwinBasic/RADBasic/OlafBasic" to anyone asking, will simply bring a questioning look onto the recipient's face. You'd have to follow that up with "it's a variant of VB6...".

As time goes on the relevance of VB6 will fade (even more!) but initially it will be VB6 that will form a response from the world's collective memory. The replacement is unlikely ever to do so to the same extent.

Do we need a name for the VB6 family of languages of which these newcomers are derived/variants of?

What would be a suitable term to describe our involvement in such a language?

We have VB6, VBA and VBScript and potentially the three above. The elephant in the room is VB, the .NET variety which means we can't describe any newcomer as a VB-derived language. Would it be best to name them as VBA-derived or part of the "VB6 family"?

At the moment if I was programming using TwinBasic's IDE and language, I would still be tempted to respond to any such question simply, "I program in VB6" - as it might at least mean something to the listener.

I am sure that a few respondents will state there is no need for a new name for VB6 derived products but I feel there is. If you have a suggestion, please state.

I'll keep a list updated here if you care to make a suggestion.

VBV (Visual Basic Variant)
    VeeBeeElzebub
    Classic VB
    Original VB
    VB Not NET
    vEE-bAsiK
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jul 7th, 2023 at 06:06 PM.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Re: VB6 language family/variants - new name for VB6 derived products.

Whilst MS might 'ignore' a product called twinbasic/radbasic et al, I suspect they'll get very lawer-ly very quickly over any 'reappropriation' of a name containing VB. IMO to keep the sleeping dog MS asleep I'd avoid anything that contains VB or Visual...
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VeeBee-family?
    VeeBubbleyou
    VeeBees
    VeeBeez
    VouldBeez?

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

VeeBeelzebub?

Wasn't this also an issue with BASIC back in the day? There were so many variants, all quite similar and often slightly different. BASIC, MS-BASIC, QBASIC, etc. We also clearly have that confusion already, since moving VBA questions out of the Classic VB forum is likely the single most common 'move thread' task for the moderators here (or else it's moving threads out of the CodeBank, but I think that's second). Those two already cause confusion. VBScript occasionally gets mixed in there, too, though nowhere near as often.

I would say that you call the language whatever it is called, and not try to use an alias (for the language, anyways, you can go ahead and keep using aliases for yourself). For one thing, in this increasingly bifurcated programming landscape, a bit of name recognition doesn't hurt anything.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

TB, in my neck of the woods still means Tuberculosis. We will need a new name or VB6 as a moniker will persist.

I think VeeBee-family is almost usable.

I am proud of my QB and VB heritage, if I tell them I have TB under my belt too, what would they think?

Not quite an advert for the VDV but perhaps we could write our own song for VBV (Visual Basic Variant)?

Well, I note that TB, VB, and QB all have B in common, but there are multiple meanings for TB, though I mostly associate it with the one you have mentioned.

TB or not TB? That is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobbled in your mind
    Due to the slings and arrows of Microsoft's fortune.
    Or to take aim against VB of troubles,
    And by opposing, end it? VB6 to die, to sleep; No more;
    And by a sleep, to say it's ended.
    The heart-ache and the thousand unnatural shocks
    that programming is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    devoutly to be wish'd. VB6 to die, to sleep;
    To sleep, perchance to dream of renewal! Aye, that's it bub!
    For in that sleep, what deams may come
    When Microsoft hath shuffled off it's copy right.

And so on, but I've run out of steam, so...be all my sins remember'd.

Gorgeous, we'll need a poetry and prose thread now to equal that. Well done.

Because of that we'll keep the 'B' then.

Mr B. Would agree.

PowerPoster

Classic VB
    Original VB
    VB Not NET

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I am proud of my QB and VB heritage, if I tell them I have TB under my belt too, what would they think?
    There's tons of lesser known programming languages, it's hardly a unique problem or a problem with an easy solution. Only real solution is 'become more popular', then people will know. The times I've mentioned it outside of the VBF community I just say 'twinBASIC, the successor to VB6'.

I don't think there's any worry about confusion with tuberculosis any more than if you say "python" people think you're talking about the snake or if you say 'Rust' people think you're talking about oxidized iron, or if you say "Go" they turn around and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I don't think there's any worry about confusion with tuberculosis any more than if you say "python" people think you're talking about the snake or if you say 'Rust' people think you're talking about oxidized iron, or if you say "Go" they turn around and leave.
    Probably quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    or if you say "Go" they turn around and leave.
    Well, yeah, even if you are with a group of programmers.

Still, your point is well made.

Frenzied Member

It's beginning to look like we'll just be using twinBASIC as the new name for VB6 derived products.

vEE-bAsiK I quite like that.

P.S. I miss Niya