Thread: [RESOLVED] Array to Obj conversion failure

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Array to Obj conversion failure

Hello all.
    Consider you want to import available serialports into a combobox while option strict is on. following error occurs during building:
    Error BC30512 Option Strict On disallows implicit conversions from 'Object' to 'Object()'.
    Code:
    Dim MyPort As Array
    MyPort = IO.Ports.SerialPort.GetPortNames()
    ComboBox1.Items.AddRange(CObj(MyPort))
    I'm still lagging in data conversions.

Re: Array to Obj conversion failure

Here:-
    Code:
    ComboBox1.Items.AddRange(IO.Ports.SerialPort.GetPortNames())
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Or if you're not comfortable about the implicit conversion from a String array to an Object array, you can do the conversion yourself explicitly:-
    Code:
            Dim ports As Object() = (From p In IO.Ports.SerialPort.GetPortNames() Select CObj(p)).ToArray

ComboBox1.Items.AddRange(ports)
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Code:
    ComboBox1.Items.AddRange(Array.ConvertAll(IO.Ports.SerialPort.GetPortNames(), Function(pn) CObj(pn)))

You should pretty much NEVER be using the Array class other than to call Shared methods. That SerialPort.GetPortNames method returns a String(), i.e an String array, so that's the type you should be using. There's absolutely no need or point to any conversion because you can provide any reference type array where an Object array is expected. If you have a value type array, e.g. an Integer array, then you will need to convert. That's because value types require boxing to get an Object reference and that won't be done implicitly.

In short, just do what Niya demonstrated in post #2 and never use an Array variable again.

@pourkascheff… you were attempting to convert the whole array to a single object, when you needed an array of objects. But as Niya and jmcilhinney have told you, an array of Strings is perfectly acceptable…

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

wow, learned lots of thing today morning. Thanks to you Niya, jmcilhinney and .paul.