Thread: [RESOLVED] Run App linked to access db without Microsoft Access been installed.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Run App linked to access db without Microsoft Access been installed.

I've created an application using visual basic (studio) 2012 with access db.
    I also packed and deployed my app into setup file using Advanced Installer and Inno and InstallSheild, I've tried them all.
    The problem is :
    When I delver this app to my client it must have Microsoft Access installed on his computer in order to be able to run the program, read and write to access db , otherwise the application will return an error.
    Is there any way that I can run this app on any computer without needing Microsoft Access to be installed.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by SALIAHM; Feb 6th, 2023 at 02:35 AM.

Re: Run App linked to access db without Microsoft Access been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by SALIAHM View Post
    When I delver this app to my client it must have Microsoft Access installed on his computer
    That is not true. The Access application is irrelevant. What you need is the database engine. If you're using an MDB file then you can use the Jet OLE DB provider to connect to it. That provider is basically part of Windows but is only available in 32-bit format, so will only work with 32-bit apps. If you're using an ACCDB file then you need the ACE OLE DB provider. That gets installed with Microsoft Office but is also available as a standalone download. Your users will need that and they will also need the same 32-bit or 64-bit version to match your app. If you're building an installer, you can configure it to install ACE as well. Exactly how you do that depends on the tool you're using and is not a VB issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SALIAHM View Post
    Is there any way that I can run this app on any computer without needing Microsoft Access to be installed.
    You need to include the Microsoft Access Database Engine Redistributable.

Thank you guys, this solved the problem and gave me a clear vision on the issue, the rest is my homework on how to include AccessDatabaseEngine to my setup.